[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has competitive play killed your interest in online video games,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 18

Has competitive play killed your interest in online video games, /v/?

pic extremely related
>>
>>382043849
>Team based competitive games

Why bother
>>
No?
Jesus, how autistic would you have to be to have your opinion sway that easily?
>>
File: 1465288303575.png (85KB, 193x193px) Image search: [Google]
1465288303575.png
85KB, 193x193px
>>382043849
It's killed my interest in playing competitively. I get more bearable players in quickplay than ranked.
>>
I don't play Ranked games that rely on your teammates. too frustrating
>>
I exclusively play Sombra now in competitive play.

I've got a 50% winrate, sit in low Diamond.

The amount of rage I cause by picking Sombra isn't even funny.
>>
File: 1345409513251.png (672KB, 926x1518px) Image search: [Google]
1345409513251.png
672KB, 926x1518px
No it didn't.

But fucking matchmaking sure did. It's the cancer that killed off the online PC communities.

Think about it, you went on your favourite server, you almost always knew some people in there. Some were jackasses, some where bro as fuck, you played, you talked, it was cool. That couple of toxic guys were dealt with one way or the other.

And then the MM hit like a fucking truck and now you're stuck with people you don't give a fuck about and neither do they, and thus you get the shittiest human interaction possible out of it because not a single one of you will ever see each other again after the game.

Yeah I'm fucking mad, I'm outright pissed.

Competetive play? Before MM we had scrims and ladders, people knew each other, games had a scene, it was friendly and in good sportsmanship. Now it's bunch of strangers with so much bad manner crammed in, the communities are more cancerous than a chineese chemical factory.
>>
>>382043849

What do you mean, retard?

I only play for competetive modes. The problem is, THERE IS NO COMPETETIVE GAMES LEFT.

Just cs and a dying tf2 which I never got into.
>>
Hm no, but after finishing NieR I set the goal of reaching 3000 rating in Overwatch and then quitting gaming for good. Reached 3002 pretty quickly and haven't touched a game since.

I can see though, why playing ranked matches in OW might be poisonous for the enjoyment of mulitplayer games.
>>
I enjoy playing competitive online games, but for some reason I always feel like I wasted my time and rotted my brain after playing for more than an hour.

"Competitive" games just feel like the fast food of gaming, its the same stuff over and over for cheap thrills to the human psyche without anything new or original happening, and it's not even a fun social party game. I like to spend my time playing new single player games or more social multiplayer games instead.
>>
Well the interest I had was for something I considered to be 'new'.
>got into tf2 too late for competitive scene to be active
>actual tf2 competitive is literal shit
>csgo was good for a while but ended up hating it and the anger it caused
>overwatch was the only real alternative for this type of play

Now that my system is purged of any desire to play competitively, my main games are strategy, single player and the occasional MMO if it looks interesting.

Honestly happy to be saying goodbye to overwatch myself. Overhyped piece of shit game will never be tf2 level
>>
>>382043849
>team based competitive games
if one teammate is enough to hinder the entire team then why bother?
>>
>tfw only slightly below average aim, well above the skill of the gold OW player
>DPS roles are taken immediately
>suck it up and play healer
>lose, get furious, say mean stuff in TC and get banned for the season

very uninstalled
>>
>>382048852
this kinda
>>
>>382043849
No, you would have to be a fucking retard to still be playing Overwatch.
Play something actually fun like PUBG
>>
>>382049661
>having below average aim and playing healer
>team is still losing
are you at least playing ana?
>>
>>382049895

>fun
>like pubg

whats fun about that laggy, clumsy, simplified, casualized 3rd person campfest? tell me.
>>
File: 1477209287139.jpg (143KB, 884x870px) Image search: [Google]
1477209287139.jpg
143KB, 884x870px
>>382043849
>dysnc
>toxic players
>hackers
>broken gameplay elements

Every single competitive game has these to a lesser or greater degree. I don't know how people can stand it. Maybe I'm just old but this is intolerable.
>>
File: 1437017820150.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1437017820150.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>382048745
This pretty much.
>Go to favorites server list
>Just a graveyard of dead IPs and 0/16 players
>Usually happens a month or two after MM is implemented
>>
>>382048745

valid point. then again MM is where I got good, I did not get good of playing on some shitty community server.
>>
>>382050106
There's actual tension and nut gripping moments. Shit gives you adrenaline unlike Overwatch which just fuel you with frustration. The fact that it's just you vs 99 others makes it good.
Not like in Overwatch where it's you and 5 idiots vs a team.
>>
>>382043849

Yes. Everything wants to be e-sports now. There's a fucking problem when I can't enjoy random invading in fucking Dark Souls 3 because people are trying to play it as if it was a competitive fighting game because some youtube tryhards wanna push it as a fucking esports game.

Fighting games nowadays are all about exploiting esports crowds, streamers, players etc. You can't play a simple online match without encountering the same top-tier characters over and over, because everyone wants to be esports now, no fun allowed.

It diminishes my desire to participate even when I do well. There's no point to any of it unless you want to earn money as a "pro player" or whatever. It just feels like every player turns into a tryhard at some point, trying to be like their esport celebs.
>>
Metas killed my interest. Seems like every game has some overpowered/cheese/exploitative way to gain an advantage, and since I'm not enough of a pathetic cunt to ever use them myself, I get sick of it quickly
>>
>>382050106
>overwatch babby calling anything else casualized

oh man that is rich
>>
>>382043849
No, because competitive play that rewards you for being good still exists in most good games.
>>
File: 1476319084768.jpg (33KB, 428x456px) Image search: [Google]
1476319084768.jpg
33KB, 428x456px
>>382050729
Meta is always cancer
>Want to play game a certain way
>'WWAAAHHH WWAAAAHHHH YOU CAN'T PLAY THAT WAY I'M REPORTING YOU AND AFKING'

Overwatch is the worst offender of this shit.
>>
>>382050821
>>382050516

i dont play overwatch. its cancer trash.

i admit, some fun moments in pubg, but its not enough to help over how bad the game is overall.
>>
File: 0c9.png (69KB, 736x872px) Image search: [Google]
0c9.png
69KB, 736x872px
How do I convince my silver shitter friend to finally get good? I'm at low diamond right now because I don't want to get too far ahead but, I don't want to carry him over 1000 points either. He is absolute shit in terms of game sense and he refuses to watch guides. He also wants to keep playing easy heroes like mercy and junkrat (mind you he sucks with both of them) and he can't into hitscan at all.

Should I just tell him to fuck off and go for Master? My problem is that he basically bought me the game without me wanting it and I kinda got hooked. Am I being a jerk if I just keep playing without him? Anything I can do to convince him that it's not just enough to play the game in order to get good?
>>
Back in the days I could join an unbalanced game in CS1.6, have some bantz and fuck around with eachother. Only team killing could sometimes be seen as a bother if you overdo.

Nowadays everyone gets their panties in a bunch and instantly REEEEEEs when someone says something mean or doesn't follow the meta. There's people who consider playing as a certain type of character griefing and do mass reports. Fuck the modern gaming community. They claim gaming needs to be more accepting and nice but instead everyone became a tryhard faggot with passive-agressive remarks instead of using classic bants to fuck around with eachother.
>>
>>382048745
I don't know why games don't have a middle ground. Have servers AND a matchmaking system! Everyone is happy!
>>
>>382051080
>Reddit spacing
I knew it
>>
>>382051083
Force him to 1v1 you in Quake
>>
>>382051083
You are the cancer that is killing the videogame industry. Be gone, e-sport vermin.
>>
File: 1468441077941.gif (1MB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1468441077941.gif
1MB, 500x376px
>>382051047
>Every time they nerf a certain line up to kill the meta, folks just find a new to do
>>
>>382043849
I just don't play ranked outside of placement matches to get the rewards. If you ignore competitive play you can have fun in most online games.
>>
No, being bad at online videogames has killed my interest in competitive play.

Still play Quick Play though.
>>
>>382051397
How am I killing anything, bud? Even if I carry him to my rank, he will drop out of it as soon as I stop playing with him and even if I keep going, he will just be a burden for the whole team and I have to play for two people effectively.
>>
no, but it ruined team based pvp games for me

im fine with online but i dont like autists that get too mad at video games on my team, whats the point of playing a game if you arent having fun and getting mad
>>
File: 1494347071642.jpg (31KB, 540x892px) Image search: [Google]
1494347071642.jpg
31KB, 540x892px
>>382051258
>Actually browsing reddit and using reddit tier memes on big brother 4chan
Not him, but you need to go back.
>>
>>382050729
i hate meta
what happened to "here are your guns prove you are better"
>>
>>382051458
>24 heroes in overwatch
>6v6 or less only
>expecting not to see a standard lineup for optimal play to evolve
>>
>>382043849
>overratedwatch
>competitive
>>
Yes.
Uninstalled Overwatch and Battlenet.
>>
>>382048745
Yup I remember using Gamesurge or whatever is is IRC server to find people for scrims and pugs, it was always a pretty great noob filter.
>>
>this game is dead on arrival!
>it ends up being very succesful
>w-well it's still shit!

Don't say anything. Just post yfw.
>>
>>382051643
I hope arena shooters make a return some time in my lifetime
>>
File: 1492996571876.gif (1021KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
1492996571876.gif
1021KB, 300x259px
>>382051458
>Patch update to buff non-meta character to being overpowered
>People still bitch when you pick him because 'muh meta'
>>
>>382049895
run run run run run run run die, restart, run run run run run kill run die. items on floor everywhere. ok.
>>
File: 6277243151225650551.jpg (110KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6277243151225650551.jpg
110KB, 1080x1080px
>>382043849
I'm confused about the premise of this thread haven't all multiplayer games always been competitive?
Are you complaining about lack of co op or something?
>>
>>382043849
Yes.

Played WoT competitively and between my clan and tournaments I had over 500k gold that I never spent a dime for. Got to be in on those 'devs chat with big clans and ask them about the game' meetings a few times, and it almost always ended the same way. Only time we weren't given the "I don't think our Core Russian fanbase would like that" response so many times to basic balance, was when we shit all over Severogorsk, then shit all over it again after they did a drastic redesign of it.

Played maybe a dozen matches in the past two years of it, and I always immediately get burned out. All the same issues and gameplay flaws are still in the game and certain maps will never be fixed.
>>
>>382051992
I think he's complaining that game companies will now throw millions of dollars into tournaments for a game no matter how stupid that game is like Hearthstone, just so they can be "esports"
>>
>>382050705
The problem isn't e-sports, really. E-sports is simply a side effect of the nature of competition.

You always had these kinds of people. If it's not assholes who report you or throw games for you not playing their meta, it was guys in the arcades who would threaten you with real bodily harm because you used a throw in Street Fighter. The only thing that happened now is that people learned that you could get paid for it. Championships were always a thing, but now you can get paid for being bad at games. You have shitclowns like DSP or LowTierGod who are just shit at games but people give them stream revenue because they like watching living trainwrecks. People stream hot garbage like PUBG or the million survival crafting games or gay shit like MOBAs because it's not hard and if you're even remotely entertaining you can get a following, and people have always liked watching videogames. Even before the days of streaming, don't you dare tell me you've never lazed on a couch while you watched your bro play something.

And honestly, complaining about competitive is stupid, because from the very first vs games, there was competition. If you're mad about competitive modes, it's because you're not good enough to hang or you "just want to chill out" in which case you shouldn't be playing against strangers on the fucking internet.
>>
>video games always had rage quitters and people talking shit over the mic
>but when it happens in OW or LoL it's "toxic"

Hmm. It's almost like /v/ is biased against overwatch.
>>
>>382051643
not even memeing: I recommend Splatoon
>>
>>382048745
Fucking this, there's no longer a positive feeling of community, just some random asshats.
>>
Friendly reminder that "toxic" is a stupid term used by faggoty soyboys on shit like reddit, tumblr, and twitter to try and make their easily hurt feelings someone else's fault. If you have ever used toxic to refer to anything other than literally poisonous substances, you are a fucking limpwristed bitch and you need to get more acquainted with said poison, preferably right down your throat.
>>
>>382052170
After seeing shills posting "ITT IN THIS THREAD WE TALK LIKE TRACER XDDD" a million times directly after its reveal who can blame us?
It's also pretty dumbed down gameplay-wise.
>>
>>382051258

its called paragraphing u autistic cuck.

also reddit (or any platform for that matter) are celebrating OW and PUBG...
>>
>>382052427
Yeah the term is so vague that shitters use that word to complain about ANYTHING
>>
>>382052170
/v/ is biased against anything that sees widespread popularity outside of /v/ and particularly on sites like Reddit or Twitch.

/v/ hates Overwatch same as it hates League of Legends and will come to hate Battlegrounds and pretty much anything else
>>
>>382043849
Banned from comp for the rest of the season. Don't miss it one bit.
>>
>>382048745
This tbqh
Online gaming community is dead because of matchmaking
even MMORPGs are MM based these days
>>
>>382051159
If you want to fuck around play in QP. People that only play torb and the like specifically play comp because they know it gets a rise out of people, don't kid yourself. Bantz means fuck all when someone is deliberately trying to fuck up your team
>>
I miss the glory deads when Id join the same servers in Battlefield and everyone knew each other and winning or losing imaginary points didnt matter. Now they killed BF with casual bullshit and stupid battlefront and WW1 and there's nothing left to play. I log into BF and all the servers are dead
>>
>>382051083
link to guides?
>>
>>382052721
to be fair MMORPGs are matchmaking based now because guilds are far more cancerous than matchmaking can ever hope to be.

Guilds are basically you deciding that these total fucking strangers are your friends and are the only way you're ever going to do any content in an MMO

Matchmaking is basically the same thing except instead of entering a stockholm syndrome friendship you fuck off and go your separate ways.
>>
>>382043849
>There are 30% WR mercy mains who are in GM
>Blizzard punishes flex picking and you'll never leave masters
lul such a good game
>>
>>382043849
OW competitive is bottom barrel as far as Im concerned but it didnt kill competitive games for me. I just hate matchmakiglng and the general esports crowds as they tend to cycle around mediocre games and twitch streams. Maybe Im just remembering it wrong but in most shooters I played if you didnt have the skill to back it up nobody gave a shit or told you to be quiet. Nowadays every low shitter just wants to quote twitch streamers or tier lists.

You play some moba or ow and suddenly everyones a backseat team strategist because the skill ceilling is so low. The average gamer cant handle competitive and these games clearly show it. The whole thing is setup so they can be shit, complain about their team then move on without improving or addressing anything. Sprinkle some loot boxes in to make them feel better.
>>
>>382043849
Yes. Thanks Esports.
>>
>>382052841

the problem is that you have some people who play particular characters extremely well, but get told to change because it's "not the meta" or even more likely because they were told that everyone who plays that character is shit, or that the character itself is shit. You could be a Hanzo with 90% accuracy and always taking out key characters like healers or troublesome defense characters and a team would still demand you change. Meanwhile you have a Soldier 76 who is constantly dying and not getting nearly as many kills as he should but it's okay because he's not playing a class with a stigma.
>>
BRING ME BACK MY OLD BFBC2 SERVERS

FUCK OVERWATCH AND FUCK EA FOR KILLING BATTLEFIELD
>>
Reminder that consoles are directly responsible for the rise of matchmaking cancer. Companies don't want to spend money on servers for consoles so they just remove the option entirely so everything then is P2P, and thus the only way of playing is to automatically match people up based on latency.
>>
>>382052965
What do you need help with?
>>
>>382053502
game sense
>>
>>382053304
Yea you're right about people jumping the gun with telling people to switch.
>>
>>382053004
You never played in the early 00s MMORPGs I take it
Guilds werent just Guilds, it was like a big family you logged in to hang out with and talk with every day
I still talk to friends I met on Everquest 15 years ago, the friends I made there are friends for life
It was the peak of online gaming and nothing will ever match it
>>
>>382053534
In case of that I would just watch some high quality streamers and record your own gameplay if that is not too much trouble for you. You need to pay close attention to positioning and how he handles certain situations. Prioritize staying alive above anything else. It doesn't matter how many kills you'll get if you die in a critical situation.
>>
>>382053863
recommend streamers then
>>
>>382053726
2001 - 2006 best MMORPG TIME
>>
>>382043849
No, but I find the tendency of people to treat their level of play as if it were competitive play to be grating and overall negative. There's nothing wrong about people trying to improve (in fact that's great) and looking to competitive play for ways to improve, but when people start treating their shitty games as if they were pro matches, you end up with more whining and bitching, and a lot less creativity in what you can try.
>>
>>382047979

This. I don't even bother with competitive on Overwatch. It's way more fun just fucking around in Quick Play or even vs. AI.

The minute you bring some shitty level into the mix everyone gets pissy about losing their imaginary number.

Same shit used to happen back in Halo 2. Everyone was having fun in custom games or something they didn't care about like Big Team Battle.

Bring that same person into 4v4 with their precious made up number? Friendships lost. People are stupid.
>>
>>382053950
That depends on what hero you want to play since you need to chose no more than 3. (Blizzards SR system is fucked and you get much less points of you constantly switch heros). I recommend watching someone like seagul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MHPRb_DHQ&t=644s
since he is playing lots of Heros very well, but you really can just type in something like: ''Overwatch Ana top 500'' and look for any recent videos that go for a long time and have great rating. You really need to focus on their actions more than on the streamer them self.
>>
>>382051643
>what happened to "here are your guns prove you are better"
metagame by definition is what people find to be the optimal way to play through testing, the only way to avoid it is to actively try and be retarded and never do the same thing twice
>>
>>382054286
ok thanks
>>
>>382047519
Tryhards shit up the experience.
>>
>>382054354
godspeed bud.
>>
>>382051258
It's actually proper. You create a space when what you're about to say next is not of the same point or subject as the previous statements were.

Kinda like this, wherein I'm about to jump from explaining that it's a proper writing technique, to calling you a fucking retard for referring to anything as "Reddit". Learn to communicate your points of view without using memes, you fucking ape.
>>
>>382054312
this. only through 100% parity between players is a game able to truly prove who is better.
>>
no. OW is just garbage
>>
>>382052156
>you "just want to chill out" in which case you shouldn't be playing against strangers on the fucking internet.

I want you to back up this statement with a logical argument. I consider a close game of Dota 2 with laid back people to be one of the most fun gaming experiences imaginable, yet that game has been basically completely ruined by mentally ill tryhard children. How am I in the wrong for wishing there were less mentally ill children preventing me from enjoying one of my favorite games?
>>
The speed of the game itself killed the idea of playing Overwatch for me.
>>
>>382052516
I've literally never seen those threads. I see way more "overwatch is bad" threads.
>>
>>382054686
you're predicating your fun on an unpredictable variable of other people. Do not be shocked if people are idiots
>>
>>382043849
Overwatch competive is cancer. Play a better fps. Paladins is kind of cool. I love overwatch but competive is awful and thr whole elo system is outdate and works awfully
>>
>>382043849
Overwatch pisses me the fuck off.
Doesn't latency favor the shooter?
I do still like it tho. I'm glad it's an option and I've taken to playing a few matches every couple days. Mostly as Hanzo or Genjo bcuz fuck you. I'm not gonna subject myself to the anger of relying on a team and not just playing for fun.
SFV is the other competitive game I play.
I love it. No complaints at all.
Can't wait for DBFighterZ.
>>
>Alt tab to check something on the web while I wait for the game match to begin on overwatch
>Hear 10 second countdown before door opens
>Alt tab to overwatch
>Game freezes but can still hesr everything fine people leaving etc
>Literally the screen is fucking frozen
>Forced to hard power down computer and reboot which takes bumfuck forever
>Lose 70 elo points

I swear fuck blizzards shitty servers, optimizations and patches. Now the game has random lag spikes whenever the fuck it wants and I cant even use Anki to study my nip anymore because my latency shoots through the fucking roof even though I studied perfectly before hand
>>
Overwatch competitive is fun if you play with friends. I heard it gets harder to play with friends (due to how the match making works) once you're high diamond/low master but I'm not there yet.
>>
>>382052562

I don't know about all that. I think the popularity of such things overall has tainted its quality and the companies that pander to that quality.

Streaming is all the rage. Twitch and tournaments are ruining online gaming. The meta of every game is ruining it all. Instead of "how do we create a balanced online game" it's "how do we create a fast growing online game that can be mass marketed and have retards be rewarded every second for what they do to sell and get social media attention?"

The focus is off the quality and onto strengthening and weakening characters over a course of years instead of making a something solid to begin with.
>>
>>382053502
Not being plat
>>
>>382054730
Id rather have those since they're more likely to talk about gameplay than your average ow thread
waifus amirite?!?!?!?
>>
I wish we got more games like Overwatch but were focused on PVE. I loved that robot event they had I'd play a whole game like that just doing raids all day. Battleborn, Destiny and Boarderlands kind of have this.
>>
>>382056004

I would like more of that. I like the vs. AI a lot. I'd just like more variation on it.
>>
File: 1474666363684.jpg (10KB, 239x255px) Image search: [Google]
1474666363684.jpg
10KB, 239x255px
>>382043849
>win 10 matches with Mei in a row during placement
>get 1100 bronze rank

Whats the fucking point of doing placement matches if its your first time playing if they just put you in bronze? Video for proof (go to the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvuDwpzSfzM
>>
>>382055594
First you probably think you're better than you truly are. You're not, you're shit. Second if you play support, drop it. Improve your mechanical skill with practice and main something like soldier or tracer. Watch streamers and how they behave in team fights. Stay alive as much as possible.
>>
>>382055465
it's impossible to make something "solid to begin with" though. Most competitive games of the past had horrendous balance fixed by either later editions (in the case of games of street fighter) or people simply dealing with the shitty problems and balance and taking the good with the bad. In an age where patching is not only possible but easy, there's no reason not to refine your game, and honestly if you don't do so it's either because you're lazy or underfunded, and the former is no excuse.

Yes, some devs say "let's release a broken shitty product and fix it later" but those games are usually fucking garbage anyway (see: Mortal Kombat and Injustice)

A game that has actual developer love behind it will support the game AND its fanbase. That means fixing things that are broken and, if the fanbase isn't happy with something, addressing that.
>>
>>382043849
playing siege solo queue has killed my interest playing siege

ive literally gotten to plat 2 and i still cant win even in fucking gold because i get paired with literal silvers against gold/plats
>>
Does overwatch get better if your elo gets higher? Ever match i play people keep dropping out so im stuck in the 1600 bracket. Does is get better or should I play something better? Recommend me some actual fun fps games. My PC is good enough to handle just about anything at 1080p
>>
>>382057417
you will begin to encounter some of the worst people on earth as you rank up until you hit a point where no matter who you are you will asking god to give diseases to everyone on your team and the other team match after match and i'm not trying to be dramatic
>>
You simply cannot have an asymmetrical team fps and not have a way of dealing with leavers and throwers. It means every game is one faggot away from being a disaster at all times.
>>
>>382048745
CS:GO has MM but it's very easy to get involved in your countries scene. Not sure about other games. I know tonnes of people from my country's CS scene, and make teams exclusively with people from my country.
>>
>>382057417
if you are a fucking silver, almost bronze, you dont play fps
>>
Why would you play a competitive online multiplayer game and not expect it to be taken seriously? If you want to play casually you can, if you want to play competitively you can. Esports is the biggest thing in gaming nowadays and the possibility of making money by becoming a professional gamer is very attractive to a large portion of players.
>>
>>382051083
how in the holy mother of fuck can you be bad at overwatch
jesus fuck, kill your friend.
>>
File: 1469976425893.png (335KB, 1280x985px) Image search: [Google]
1469976425893.png
335KB, 1280x985px
>>382057417
it only gets worse
t. 2900
i wish for death
>>
>>382058547

>"competitive"

ow is the most casual crap since mario kart I can shoot heroin and carry master games
>>
File: lovewarconga.png (231KB, 546x427px) Image search: [Google]
lovewarconga.png
231KB, 546x427px
>>382058547
>TF2
>Hop on and play. If you want to take it seriously and actually try to win the fucking game, you can.
>If you want to just dick around and shit, you can. Assuming you aren't a fag and brought a bunch of friends that would just end up ruining the whole game for your own team, you dicking around is generally not a detriment to your team, if they're all playing seriously they'll be fine.

Cut to today, games split into two modes, "Casual" and "Competitive", leading into the mentality that if you want to actually play the game you just play Competitive. However because of Esports, the way games generally present "Competitive" modes, and hivemind mentalities, this leads to a massive amount of people who are incredibly sensitive to having their precious little egos taking blows filling up the mode. This means these people infest this mode, and rage, throw fits, and generally act as if their teammates are actively out to get them and are making them look bad if their team is losing. Leading to terrible experiences.

So your choices, as a new player stepping into, say OW, are either jump straight into Competitive and immediately be exposed to that shit and get yelled and screamed at if you're not playing what's considered "meta-friendly", or you go and play Casual mode where people generally have the attitude that it doesn't matter and that it's all just for fun, so nobody should really try to do anything except have fun, because "hey its not competitive bro lmao calm down".

This split in modes should have never happened, and we need to go back to when games were just fucking games and did not push this shit on you. If people want to be competitive, give them the tools to set up shit like that, but do not publicly force it because it just breeds way worse communities.
>>
>>382057417
The same types of people exist at every level except at higher levels they're better at aiming or not dying (as Mercy).
>>
>>382059680
Community competitive is the best type of competitive
>>
>>382059680
this
the split was a huge fucking mistake
>>
>>382048745
I like match making way more than server shit.
>>
>>382058547
Yeah except people will go into autistic fits, throw games, and spend the whole match screaming at you if you don't pick meta, and do everything they say. There's a difference between being competitive, and throwing a tantrum when things don't go your way.
I want to win, but I'm not going to spend the whole game calling our mercy a nigger instead of playing the game. That's the issue with overwatch right now.
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 1060x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 1060x1600px
individual skill means jack shit in Overwatch
it is a """"team"""" game after all and doesn't allow solo carrying which is why I believe ranked doesn't matter and isn't a good thing to base the nonexistent skill in this game off of
Like comparing a guy who can play two characters in each class really well but is plat and then a faggot/gamur girl who ONLY plays Mercy but is in grandmaster or top 500. The game is just so poorly designed I don't understand how it isn't dead yet
>>
>>382061083
>faggot cares about k/d ratios
>"team games shouldn't be team games"
>>
>>382061257
It would actually be better centered around K/D ratios cause the forced team game aspect is pure shit
>>
>>382043849
Competitive Overwatch is great.

You just need a 6-stack of mates.

Otherwise yeah, it's cancer beyond cancer.
>>
>>382061083
>The game is just so poorly designed I don't understand how it isn't dead yet

Because marketing and HEY KIDS THANKS TO US DEVOTING ALL THIS MONEY TO ESPORTS, -YOU-, YES -YOU- COULD BE THE NEXT BIG ESPORTS VIDEO GAME ATHLETE!

Esports are just another marketing tactic, and people eat that shit up. They sit there and sell OW as a top Esports game, and people flock to it to show how big their e-dick is, and then do exactly what >>382060205 and >>382059680 said when they lose.
>>
> play singleplayer adventure story games with my dad all the time as a kid during the 5th-6th gen days
> dad is always busy now and im doing a degree
> all i play is comp csgo and now overwatch. Have 0 interest in playing new games.
> Dad tells me he bought the PS4 pro
> dont let my pc master race autism break out
> buy him Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4
> Play together like the good old days
> Taking turns playing and solving shit together
> Its just like when I was a kid
> I missed this so much
>>
File: 1477589536934.jpg (49KB, 427x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477589536934.jpg
49KB, 427x300px
>>382048745
Lets play some Rising Storm 2 anon, MM is only for mainstream games.
>>
>>382048745
>tfw you watched your favorite community TF2 server of 7 years withe rand die away after the 2016 update.

I'm with you, anon.
>>
>>382051047
If you don't want to play meta then stick to unranked. Problem solved.
>>
>>382043849
>Has competitive play killed your interest in online video games, /v/?
Yes, the competitive scene has become an utter farce when every game makes the "competitive" mode the standard, forcing a rigid, no fun allowed mood in every match despite the setting being utter chaos by pairing you with a bunch of random fucks if you didn't have a team of bros with you at all times.

When I wanted an organized match fifteen years ago, I got five good buddies to go browsing a game's servers to find and challenge another team/clan/guild/group of pals. We set a time and place, agreed upon some custom house rules, and we fought first to whatever. It always ended with a genuine exchange of "gg", and then we went back to our own servers or visited their server to goof off.

eSports has made online video games, both the serious and fun sides, trash.
>>
>>382062913
>Play Unranked
>People refuse to actually try to win
>lmao bro calm down its not like this is ranked mode or anything lmao

Thanks Esports.
>>
Overwatch is shit.
>>
>>382043849
Jesus christ when will people learn to not take competitive team games seriously?
People just want someone else to blame because they hate accepting the fact they might be shit.
>>
>>382054159
Well of course people are going to get made about their imaginary number because it's essentially a pride meter. It shows 'how good you are'. And when you feel like you lost because of somebody else, you feel like your skill is being misrepresented with this imaginary number now that it has decreased.
>>
File: 1fFTE6l.png (429KB, 451x619px) Image search: [Google]
1fFTE6l.png
429KB, 451x619px
>>382063241
>He wants to play the game his own way, therefore the gamemode where you try to win isn't a hospitable place for him
>He complains about people playing their own way instead of focusing on winning in the other gamemode
>>
>>382063663
I wasn't that guy, I was just pointing out it's shit in both modes for entirely different reasons that shouldn't even be a thing to begin with.
>>
>>382043849
Pretty much. Just screwing around in gmod and tf2 had me on cloud 9. But now literally every game has a meta, and some way of forcing you to either play ultra seriously, or play like you're just dicking around. There's no fun in between anymore. There needs to be some kind of arena shooter or RTS that is focused on just doing weird strategies with your friends, but still trying to win.

Ingenuity is probably the most important part in making a fun game. A set in stone meta gets stale, and the playerbase will adapt to that meta, and demand that anything challenging it be nerfed; while simultaneously complaining about the meta.
>>
>>382059430
I don't really play Overwatch, mainly CS so when I talk about competitive gaming I'm referring mostly to that.
>>
File: 1463160504264.jpg (321KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
1463160504264.jpg
321KB, 700x990px
>>382059680
Pretty much this.
Comp mentality coupled with the fact that there's no admin to moderate toxic behavior makes people feel they can act however they want.

I suppose you could try and make custom games, but most of those are just for crazy modifiers.
>>
>>382043849
no because most but prob all have non competitive modes so I don't get buttmad
>>
This bullshit recently where competitive games go way too hard on policing """toxic""" language. They act like its an organized high school sport when its really more of a random pickup game on the streets.
>>
>>382065365
gg ez
>>
>>382043849
What's killed my interest in online video games is:
>matchmaking / no player owned servers completely removing any sense of community
>no modding / mapping because games are locked down hard to sell dlc and the sheer number of games disperses people among them too much anyway
>disposability of games where player bases disappear after a month and developers don't bother to fix obvious flaws because the next yearly installment is coming in a few months anyway
>bloat in games where they're filled with 70 trillion game modes nobody plays because they're just garbage to use as a marketing bullet point rather than having a focused, well designed core game mode
>skinner box unlock grinding and microtransactions

Playing an online video game went from feeling like a meet up between friends at a sports club or something to being more like fast food.
>>
>>382051176
Some games do have this and it means chinese/brazilians/russians with 800 ping keep getting put on your server.
>>
>>382052156
>Even before the days of streaming, don't you dare tell me you've never lazed on a couch while you watched your bro play something.
I didn't because I am not a fag. I bet you are a beta younger brother.
>>
>>382052427
This.
>>
This is why I'm surprised that server based MMO's aren't making a comeback. The community actively polices itself.
>>
>>382043849
Competitive games (that is to say, they have a hardcore nerdament scene, such as CSGO, LoL, Gookclick, fighting games) just happen to be fucking boring in my opinion. I shudder at the thought of having to play these turds day in day out trying to perfect your ability to click really fast in a videogame or whatever.
>>
>>382059680
I've realized this lately. I've been looking for a game that lets me play at a slower pace when I want, and pick it up should I be in the mood. Cod used to be that game for me, as well as Runescape to an extent.

It was so nice to be able to just dick around if I didn't feel like taking it too seriously. But with the way competitive play works, you can't do that. Casual mode doesn't even interest me because it's too relaxed.

Hopefully devs will realize that and make proper changes.
>>
>>382048745
>Big name AAA comes to PC
>MM only
>No community is created
>No mods support
>No map creation support
Just think about Doom and its community, isn't that a major failed opportunity?
>>
>>382059680

Just coming back to the this thread but I agree entirely. Don't split them. Don't even make them apparent. You just play the game. That's it.

Don't put a number on it. Don't give them an e-dick to fool around with. Just make a mode that you play on. You go into it and you play. You could be horrible. You could be great. Don't do the double gold diamond gold card from American Express treatment.
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.