[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Shadowrun game? I'm looking to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: Shadowrun.png (332KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun.png
332KB, 500x312px
What's the best Shadowrun game?

I'm looking to get into the series, with the Steam sales now going.
>>
Chinese one
>>
File: Shadowrun_SNES_cover.png (104KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun_SNES_cover.png
104KB, 300x220px
>>381976173
>>
I loved dragonfall a shit ton, the characters are memorable and the world building is fantastic. Shadowrun returns was kinda meh to me, 5/10 territory. I haven't played Hong Kong but from what I know it's similar to Dragonfall
>>
the new ones are shit
>>
>>381976173
Dragonfall > Hong Kong > POWERGAP > Returns

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both really good though and definitely worth playing. Returns is kinda meh, but if you really enjoyed Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I'd give it a go too.
>>
>>381976471

unirionically this.

out of the new ones, dragonfall is better than returns, and hong kong is probably the best.
>>
just got this from the sale.
figured i play based on release since it seem like the game just gets better.
do you start a new character in each game?
>>
>>381976173

Dragonfall has a better story and characters. Hong Kong has more refined mechanics. Deadman's Switch is not that great but has the most interesting antagonists.
>>
>>381976597
^ This guy has it right. Dragonfall is fantastic and Hong Kong is great too. Returns is pretty mediocre in comparison.

There's also some other Shadowrun game on steam from a different dev, but its complete assgarbage and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>381976780
Yes, you do. The stories are unrelated
>>
>>381976780

Yes. There's no officially stated connection between the protagonists of the three games.
>>
>>381976173
>Shadowrun Returns
15 hours in a save got deleted so fuck that but it wasn't a bad 15 hours

>Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
The only one I have finished so far and goddamn it was amazing

>Shadowrun Hong Kong
Haven't played much because I keep restarting.
Don't like being 1 <insert stat here> point off of every special dialogue option
>>
>>381976471
That game is amazing
least for its time
>>
File: 1496954892965.jpg (154KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1496954892965.jpg
154KB, 633x758px
>no PS4 port yet
>>
>>381976173
Shadowrun Chronicles has the best encounter design and overall gameplay, much better than the trash produced by HBS, who have no clue how to design challenging encounters at all, but it's not a story focused - it's a turn based squad tactics game and might not be what you're looking for.
>>
File: Glory.png (1MB, 1017x1611px) Image search: [Google]
Glory.png
1MB, 1017x1611px
I enjoyed Dragonfall best. Hong Kong felt off. Like they put in too much filler bullshit, too much words (if that makes sense), which is weird for me, because I don't mind reading, it's just that the quality of said writing was just mediocre.
>>
>>381980575
*it's not a story focused RPG
>>
>>381976471
Shadowrun's a good game.
>>
Hong Kong and Dragonfall are pretty good.
>>
>>381976173
Hong Kong and Dragonfall are pretty much the best. Personal taste will dictate which one is the "best."
>>
dead man's switch (returns) is good, just fyi you can edit some text files and play it in dragonfall and get the combat improvements.

hong kong was great but way too wordy. more text is nice but its all wasted, its like reading early stephen king.
>>
I kinda wish the world was more open in the newer ones.

I only played Returns and Dragonfall though, and I did enjoy the mission structure, but I wished there was more just 'go do shit' idle gameplay then mission after mission.
>>
I have Hong Kong installed right now, but can't start it up. I played Dragonfall last and while I do enjoy the combat system, everything in between fights seem tedious and boring.

Am I just a retard, or is the genre just not for me?
>>
File: 20170121191447_1.jpg (426KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170121191447_1.jpg
426KB, 1920x1080px
>>381981872
>Am I just a retard, or is the genre just not for me?
You're very strange, to say the least. Most people complain that everything that is not related to storytelling in Shadowrun games is shit, but you seem to like the combat. If you like the combat in HBS Shadowrun games, try playing Shadowrun Chronicles - it's focused on pure combat with the possibility of coop (it's very easy to team up with strangers) and the mission design is actually fun and challenging as fuck.
>>
>>381976597
Dragonfall was great, never finished the first one and i was liking Hong Kong until i forgot to play for a couple of days and never picked it up again...
>>
>>381976173
Genesis one > SNES one >>>>>>>>>>>>>> dragonfall > hong kong >> returns >>> FPS
>>
File: now that's fucking edgy.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
now that's fucking edgy.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>381982506
>0.01 kontrarian kool kredits have deposited onto your Gold 4chan account.
>>
>>381982506
What about Boston Lockdown?
>>
The games suffer from the same fate as all recent crpgs, namely that the character models are fucking ugly. I still enjoyed dragonfall.
>>
>>381982964
People pretend it doesn't exist, because it's not a story focused RPG with waifus. The real list is:

Dragonfall = BL (DF for the story and characers, BL for the gameplay) > Hong Kong > Returns > old garbage with primitive roleplaying > FPS
>>
>>381982772
>0.10 newer is better bethEActivison credits deposited into your account. You are a special guy and we love you.

>>381982964
About 1 > better from the FPS
You could actually rate the FPS higher as a game but it is shit as shadowrun.
>>
>>381982506
>genesis
My nigga
>>
>>381983194
Shadowrun games are RPGs adapted from TT, HBS Shadowrun games have the best roleplaying in the Shadowrun vidya franchise, you are mentally deranged and need help.
>>
>>381983231
Everyone seems to forget it existed but it's still the best,
>>
>>381976471
lol no

Go play the Genesis one.
>>
>>381983351
HBS games have less in common with the tabletop than the genesis/snes ones.
>>
>>381976597
You will not be able to play Returns if you play Hong Kong or even Dragonfall before it.
If you're not playing Returns first don't even bother buying it. Shit is literally unplayable after playing Hong Kong, which has the best gameplay of them all
>>
>>381983147
>BL for the gameplay
elaborate?
afaik it's the same as combat the HBS games or XCOM and it doesn't have anything else
>>
>>381983563
>afaik it's the same as combat the HBS
It's not, it's a different combat system that does not allow you to abuse the everliving shit out of overwatch and trivialize any encounter.

>and it doesn't have anything else
It has good encounter design and some of the hardest missions you will ever play in a SRPG.
>>
>>381983489
Again, you are mentally deranged. HBS Shadowrun games have MUCH better roleplaying depth than any other Shadowrun vidya games ever made, which puts them MUCH closer to TT than any other games in the franchise. Sounds like you don't even know what are the core features of a TT RPG.
>>
>>381977332
What the fuck were you doing that took you 15 hours in a single save in Returns?
I beat it in 9 hours and did all the sidequest and read through all the dialogue (spoke to every character after and before a mission)
>>
>>381976471
Correct, this is definitely just one of the best SNES games ever made period.
>>
>>381983846
So you have never played the SNES one, thats ok just don't be such a faggot about it
>>
>>381984019
If you think the SNES one has more reactivity that allows the player to solve different problems in different ways, based on how the player built his character, you haven't played it yourself.
>>
>>381984229
Hooray, they included a way to not lock your game if you spec'd wrong or have the wrong team.
The choices are just as meaningful which is to say not at all
>>
>>381976471
it's just a point&click adventure game, barely rpg
doesn't even have shadowrunning
>>
File: 1491050998364.jpg (176KB, 923x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491050998364.jpg
176KB, 923x720px
>>381984834
>The choices are just as meaningful
>saying retarded bullshit makes it true
Wake me up when your SNES garbage actually has multi-solution quests with alternative quest solutions being based on how you've built your character.

Also, the overall character generation and advancement choices are trash, compared to HBS games, that are MUCH more loyal to the
TT. There is no essence mechanic in the game, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>381980575
This may literally be the worst opinion I've ever read on 9gag. Do not listen to this fag, Shadowrun Chronicles is boring af.
>>
>>381985787
>I hate challenging SRPGs and prefer to play story focused RPGs with shit actual gameplay: the post
>>
>>381985956
I played thru Shadowrun Chronicles, yeah it's challenging because the system is shit. It plays like a worse version of Returns combat, you have fewer abilities, it's nothing but combat with no payoff. If you like it, fine, but don't be telling people to waste money on it because it's good because it most assuredly isn't.
>>
>>381986146
>you have fewer abilities
Wrong, you have more abilities overall and different weapons are much more different to each other compared to HBS SHadowrun games.

>the system is shit
The system does not allow the abuse of the overwatch mechanic that completely removes any sort of challenge or tactical depth from combat encounters in HBS Shadowrun games, so you're wrong again.

In other words, you have no clue what you're talking about and your opinion is trash.
>>
>>381986409
>>381986146
Also, I forgot to mention the horrendous balance in HBS games where taking any weapon other than assault rifle is equivalent to gimping yourself, LMAO.

Or the fact that the majority of enemies you encounter in HBS games are literal trash mobs with drastically reduced stats (AP literally cut in half or even in THREE in some cases), compared to your characters, while the enemies in Chronicles are built by using the same rules as the player characters and each presents a threat.
>>
>>381983743
just no overwatch mechanic?

nah i'll pass, i can just not use overwatch on HBS games.
>>
>>381986714
>i can just not use overwatch on HBS games
>I'll just opt to not use a single broken mechanic that removes any sort of challenge from the game and ignore the fact that this does not change anything and the game is still a joke as the encounter design is still utter trash and 99% of the enemies are trash mobs with a single action point, who cannot move and shoot on the same turn
LMAO.
>>
>>381981872
Try playing BattleTech, their new game their developing if you loved combat
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.