[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ hate horror games now? It seems that any form of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: re2_remake_announce.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
re2_remake_announce.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
Why does /v/ hate horror games now?
It seems that any form of horror is now called a walking sim or jump scare simulator.
Happened to Alien Isolation.
Condemned
And now RE7.
Even Dead Space gets this kind of shit.

Does /v/ just hate horror now?
>>
The popularity of first person horror indies has convinced the new kids on the block that it's hardcore to dislike horror. They think it makes them look smarter for it.
>>
No nuance at all, now you just walk and wait for the inevitable peak-a-boo. Then you walk slightly faster while getting more peak-a-boos. Then the next level is the same until the end, where the peak-a-boo is slightly bigger than the rest. You don't feel suspense anymore, you know exactly what's coming and when it's coming.
>>
I'm not a kid anymore so horror genre is non existent for me.
>>
>>381902046
I hate that kind of shit. Why judge a game on its camera prospective? or because its indie.
Some of the best horror games are first person and indie just look at SCP Contentment Breach. that shit was terrifying.
>>
>>381902046
>and when it's coming
You really don't in Alien or RE7.
>>
>>381901798
There are many here who seem cautiously optimistic for The Evil Within 2, though.
Generally, TEW doesn't seem to be hated here, which would explain why the threads die quickly. No hostility to feed off of.
>>
>>381902460
Meant for >>381902239
>>
>>381902239
What game or games are you referring to here?
>>
>>381902553
Thought as much. For the record I do like Alien Isiolation, even if it falls a little flat by the end.
>>
>>381901798

I really liked Alien. No real 'jumpscares', even when the Alien got you it was smooth and fair. Few scripted scenes, feels more like an adventure game than anything else. The psychological pressure is great.

Then there's outlast tier 'games', which are real walking simulators with cheap jumpscares everywhere.
>>
File: 1498165306593.jpg (18KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498165306593.jpg
18KB, 451x451px
>>381902464
I wonder why that is.
TEW was tons of fun don't get me wrong but it was never scary or had any real original ideas.
Still loved it despite that.
>>
>>381902464
Because no one playet it. Same anons every thread."
>>
>>381902257
You can still enjoy a horror game.
I don't get scared easily anymore but I can still love a good atmosphere or good story telling in a horror game.
>>
>>381902625
Indie horror games like Amnesia and Outlast. I did liked the sanity system in Amnesia though, reminded me of Eternal Darkness.
>>
>>381902797
Thought it sold well.
>>
>>381902921
Outlast one was great but pretty much everyone agrees outlast 2 was shit.
>>
>>381901798
>Dead Space
anybody who thought DS was scary is literally retarded.
>upgrade guns to always be viable and useful
wow those enemies that were once dangerous can be killed in 2 or 3 shoots now. so scary.
>enemies drop what you need (low on ammo? here is an ammo drop. low on health? here is health drops!)
like literally the only way to run out of ammo is if you ignore how you're showered with ammo and never pick up any ammo.
>slow mo mode with a cooldown
in case you were going to be in trouble, just press the statis button for an easy time
>every single fucking necromorph 'dead' body is a jumpscare
wow it really spooked me the 8th time you tried this one!

it had a cool atmosphere. but the gameplay is simply closer to resident evil 4 or an action game than a horror game.
>>
If Silent Hill 2 came out today /v/ would hate it
>>
>>381901798
I don't hate them, I'm just a huge bitch and don't like horror. That said, I picked up The Evil Within this sale to try and proactively address my bitch nature.
>>
>>381901798
>Happened to Alien Isolation.
>Condemned
>And now RE7.
Condemned is good but those other two are garbage.
>>
File: 1497652997681.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
1497652997681.gif
1MB, 356x321px
>>381903827
This is truth I can here what this board would say now.
>Why is this game so slow and boring?
>Hahaha! the acting sucks!
>I don't get this story at all this is dumb.
>This combat fucking sucks!
>Pffff this is supposed to be scary? your all pussies.

Fuck this board sometimes man.
>>
>>381904473
Woah, it is like you just described what happened to deadly premonitions.
>>
File: leon re2.jpg (72KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
leon re2.jpg
72KB, 500x406px
>>381902464
TEW has a small fanbase here. Most people that like it accept that it's not survival horror and it's just action/horror so the threads are pretty chill.

Now a game like RE7 has a bunch or different people in it. People that like the new direction, people that hate it and want it to be third person/static camera and people that want it to be action horror again.
>>
>>381904329
Let me guess its because Condemned is old enouth to be considered a classic now?
>>
File: tumblr_on44c7bq2V1t66aclo4_400.gif (3MB, 268x272px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_on44c7bq2V1t66aclo4_400.gif
3MB, 268x272px
>>381904792
Pretty much.
TEW has its fanbase now and everyone who hated it has fucked off and wont care about the sequel.
RE7 is part of one of gamings largest franchises and this franchise has two conflicting sides with one side wanting action and the other wanting horror.
RE7 is now stuck with being the newest entry while also trying new things.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.