[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly did Nintendo survive the 6th generation? If I recall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: GameCube.png (551KB, 1200x673px) Image search: [Google]
GameCube.png
551KB, 1200x673px
How exactly did Nintendo survive the 6th generation? If I recall correctly, they end up selling the gamecube a $100 a console.
>>
File: gba.png (1MB, 1465x1152px) Image search: [Google]
gba.png
1MB, 1465x1152px
>>
>>381849450
/Thread
>>
>>381849192
by releasing a console that actually plays games with no gimmicks?
>>
First-party games with high attach rate.
Low production cost.
GBA (and later DS) dominating the handheld market.
>>
File: disc_back.jpg (28KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
disc_back.jpg
28KB, 500x365px
>>381849656
Pretty sure there was a gimmick. Even if it was an anti-piracy measure, it's still a gimmick.
>>
>>381849192
because it was a 99 dollar console when the xbox was fucking 600 and still lost to PCs
I can throw 99 eurobucks at some silly little machine that plays japanese curiosities but fuck paying 600 for what is basically a worse pc than what I already own
>>
>>381851150
DVDs are a gimmick?
>>
>>381849192
Because even at $100 they sold it at a profit.
>>
>>381849450
This
Come on OP this wasn't even that long ago
>>
>>381851416
You gonna sit there and tell me that what that man is holding in his hand is a DVD?
>>
>>381851416
Mini-DVDs are. Devs lost 3gb of usable space right there.
>>
>>381851150
That wasn't the selling point of the console though like it was with the Wii/Wii U and Switch.
>>
>>381851640
16 years ago when it got launch
>>
>>381849192
Go away underage.

>>381849450
Also only a few years removed from the Pokemon craze. People still had the trading cards and everything.
>>
>>381851640
You tellin' me that 14 years was not that long ago? Nigga we barely had color cellphones at that time.
>>
>>381851725
Yes that is a dvd
Now you gonna tell me beta maxs are a gimmick or something
>>
Handhelds and a ridiculously good attach rate for the software. Same thing that made the WiiU gen not a total bust.
>>
Nintendo makes a profit on everything they make the second it goes on sale. By 2003, the stuff inside a GC was pretty cheap and they were building up to the Wii with similar specs, so I bet they had some crazy manufacturing deal.

My GC is the only console I still own. I know I can play it's library on my PC, but man does it feel good to throw in a mini-dvd, turn on the wavebird and just play Wind Waker or a GBA game in the GBP
>>
>>381851786
Yeah but it's Nintendo trying to do something different than it's competitors.
>>
With the advent of the Playstation, and, later, the Xbox, Nintendo decided to produce consoles using slightly dated technology, meaning their consoles are generally sold for profit rather than depending on software sales in order to cover the cost of hardware. Even if every Nintendo console from here on out performs like a Wii U in terms of sales, they're not going anywhere. Because they are using slightly dated technology, it also keeps development costs down, which is greatly beneficial when the big movers for the console are all first party.

I get that people want to say it's because of their handhelds since those absolutely demolish the competition and likely have an even larger profit margin, but strictly from a console sense, it's not an entirely accurate answer.

Even without the handheld market, Nintendo would still be around, even if every console was a "flop" like the Wii U, simply because of their new philosophy when developing consoles. Sega tried to compete directly with cutting edge tech with the Saturn and completely bombed because of it, as it forced them to charge way too much for the system on launch, so, clearly, Nintendo made the right choice.
>>
>>381852004
>Nintendo makes a profit on everything they make the second it goes on sale. By 2003, the stuff inside a GC was pretty cheap and they were building up to the Wii with similar specs, so I bet they had some crazy manufacturing deal.
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>381851951
>he, thinks that's a DVD
When will DVDlets ever learn
>>
>>381851951
Beta Max wasn't a gimmick, it was a video format in a standard war with JVC's VHS. It was the preferred format for high quality video, but lost out to the VHS for having a smaller storage capacity.

I hardly see how that relates to the topic at hand , because Nintendo wasn't trying to compete with a standard of format, they just didn't want assholes pirating their video games. And in all honesty, it worked, because by the time enough consumers had a PC powerful enough to run emulators like Dolphin, Nintendo was onto the Wii.
>>
>>381852392
Gonna call it LaserDisc then?
>>
File: gc.png (1MB, 1200x933px) Image search: [Google]
gc.png
1MB, 1200x933px
I'd honestly wager they've made a fair bit on Gamecube controllers, there's a good reason they're still sold by Nintendo. The Melee/Sm4sh communities alone, but also tons of people still play their gamecubes casually.
>>
>>381852571
I still play pikmin on my gamecube. I know i can do it on my wii but it just feels wierd.
>>
>>381852571
SNES controller is still better.
>>
File: RLx9M3F.jpg (139KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
RLx9M3F.jpg
139KB, 1024x942px
>>381852567
>/v/ has, degraded to the point that the common /v/ poster can't tell a tongue in cheek post from an actual shitpost

>mfw I can't even tell if you're joking or not
>>
>>381852265
But the Sega Saturn didn't bomb because of it's cutting edge hardware. It bombed because it was a nightmare to program games for, and they burned bridges with a lot of their retailing partners and publishers for that shit they pulled in '94.

Even with the overly complex hardware, the Saturn could have meant serious competition for Sony, had they just ignored them and stuck with the Christmas release date.
>>
>>381853049
>It bombed because it was a nightmare to program games for
Which is a problem with cutting edge hardware, which is something I even pointed out in the post you just replied to. "Because they are using slightly dated technology, it also keeps development costs down, which is greatly beneficial when the big movers for the console are all first party."

Moreover, yes, absolutely, the hardware packed in the Saturn is absolutely the direct cause of the failure of the system, which is why Sony's E3 press conference that year is still considered one of the greatest ever, and all they did was have the keynote speaker read the price of the system right after Sega announced just how expensive the Saturn would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExaAYIKsDBI
>>
>>381849192
Because the 6th gen was Nintendo's most creative and fun gen to date
>3 new Metroids and 1 remake
>Fun experiments with IPs like Wario World and WarioWare
>Still got Wario Land 4 for those who didn't like change
>Melee
>Paper Mario's best entry
>Gen 3 of Pokemon was great, got a remake of RB for people who loved gen 1 still
>Great SNES and NES games made portable
>Got Time Splitters and Resident Evil
>Cartoonish Zelda as well as TP who wanted a more 'mature' experience
>>
File: 1495018333192.gif (185KB, 673x379px) Image search: [Google]
1495018333192.gif
185KB, 673x379px
>>381849192
By being more profitable than Sony.
>>
>>381851914
Cell phones where a mistake.
>>
>>381852538
The initial post was calling the mini dvd use a gimmick
Why would be a gimmick, just because it has less storage?
The ps2 was popular in my country thanks to piracy, I myself was of the guys that had a GC around here
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.