[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot with the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 393
Thread images: 40

File: neon_yellow_switch1.jpg (34KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
neon_yellow_switch1.jpg
34KB, 1200x800px
Why didn't Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot with the Switch ?

They made it underpowered and now third party doesn't want it. They only put 4gb of ram in it. And that's after capcom suggested at least 4. They intended to give it 3.

Also, there is no reason it shouldn't be running the Tegra X2 instead of one.

They could have sold the Switch at $350 dollars with the Tegra X2 with 6gb of ram and people would have still bought it. The difference is it would have been powerful enough for third party to actually want to develop for it
>>
>>381771721
The target market is children and "moble gamers".
>>
>>381771721
This is the reason why i think there will be a newer model soon. They made it so underpowered because the battery wouldn't last an hour. It also needed to be small and thin af. A tegra X2 would requite a better cooling system, bigger fan and stuff.
As for why it is doing so well? Nobody knows for sure, as you can see by the limited availability, neither did nintendo know.
After breath of the wild, i re-gained my hope for nintendo and i am actually open to anything they do as long as they keep delivering with 10's like BotW. They just do what their fans always wanted. An actual 3D mario game, another metroid game after 10 years, a Zelda game that made you finally be proud of being a zelda fan again although nobody believed they could do it after the disaster that was Skyward Sword. Also, the switch being a handheld means that they can finally make the next main instalment of the pokemon series for a ''console'', which they are doing. They announced it at E3.
>>
>>381771721
>30 years later
>"The most powerful console is the best one!"
Yeah, the Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS3 and Xbone really prove this.
Dunce.
>>
>third party
First are we talking about "rehashes the same games yearly" third party? Because fuck that. I want 3rd parties to create unique, exclusives for it. Experiences that can also be enjoyed at home and on the go, not another device that's going to play the same shit (CoD, FIFA, Madden, etc) that every other platform is getting.

Second, if you're still buying Nintendo products for that kind of support, you're the dumbass.
>>
File: 1489523282689.jpg (64KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489523282689.jpg
64KB, 657x527px
>selling out everywhere
>gigantic demand globally
>shoot themselves in the foot
>>
>>381771969
The target is casuals ages 13-25. And what do they care about? Muh graphics and my sports/ call of duty games.

No one wants to hear underpowered. That's why Microsoft hammered home,the most powerful console line. Casuals came all over their mountain dew cans looking at 4k Minecraft. Which makes no sense to me. But that's the way it is.

Having a better chip benefits me because why wouldn't I want more recent tech? It opens more doors for developers
>>
>>381771721
Third parties wouldn't have developed for the Switch even if it did have what you say it should have. They simply will not make games for Nintendo consoles. "It's not powerful enough" is just a throwaway excuse.
>>
>>381772054
>>381771721
Also, i had a lot more stop and stare moments with breath of the wild and or xenoblade X than i did with the witcher 3. As long as the games look as good as botw and xeno x, then i don't care that much.
And honestly, do you care about 3rd party? After this years E3 too? Do you not have a PC for that? Why would anyone want to buy, say dark souls 3 on the switch? To play at 30fps? Console Lads are paying full price for games like prey and witcher 3 and they play at half the frames. This is something that i can't quite grasp yet.
>>
>>381772206
read again, he said why DIDN'T they shoot themselves- meaning why did it not fail.
>>
File: areyouretarded.jpg (38KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
areyouretarded.jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
>>381772206
>too stupid to plan for alternative part vendors
>purposely avoid maximizing profit
>foster black market
>dissuade consumer confidence with growing claims of artificial scarcity
>good ideas
>>
>>381772206
>cutting corners being nintendojews
>not making switch live up to its potential

Yes, that's shooting themselves in the foot.
>>
>>381772402
its working.
>>
>>381772252
Nintendo doesn't care about other devs. They tried to make a console to corner thier market because they can't compete with sony and Microsoft. It was smart accually and saved them from going 3rd party. Parents and casuals don't really want to spend money on video games. Thats why they tried to release it at the lowest price possible. There will not be a more powerful version anytime soon, maybe lighter or XL.

Also is /v/ really this retarted to think it sold out because of popluarity. Not that its a marketing campaign to make the switch look more appealing. Microsoft did this with the xbox also. Come on guys.
>>
>>381771721
X1 doesn't have the bandwidth to make good use of higher amounts if RAM, X2 does though
>>
>>381771721
Nintendo became tech cavemen after the GC.

Probably because the whole "we had a succesful console even if it was underpowered" shit with the Wii.
>>
>>381771721
>he thinks the X2 and 2 extra gigs of RAM would only add $50 to the price
lmao, not to mention the X2 has just come out (has it even come out yet actually?) so no time to actually R&D with it.
>>
File: 1495018333192.gif (185KB, 673x379px) Image search: [Google]
1495018333192.gif
185KB, 673x379px
>>381772778
Nintendo is immensely profitable even with not so successful consoles, the reason they shifted gears was to avoid the $100m budgets that are ruining the industry.
>>
>>381771721
Because fags like you who only care about specs are the cancer killing this hobby
>>
>>381773005
Chip prices are pretty tied to die size.
>>
>>381772874
That's why I said it should have the x2
>>
>>381772912
Underage newfag alert
>>
>>381772054
>A tegra X2 would requite a better cooling system, bigger fan and stuff.
X2 is built on a smaller manufacturing process, 16nm FinFET instead of 20nm. Power and heat is about the same.

Having 2x the memory bandwidth might have made BOTW run at 1080p in docked mode.
>>
>>381771721
>>381772154
To be honest, the most interesting games this generation were indie games or remasters/re-releases of older games, with very few exceptions of AAA games that were of worth.
>>
And this is why /v/ sucks. Making threads with no thought at all.

1.The X2 isn't even out yet
2.the x2 and 6 gigs of rams would put the Switch around $399
3.third party would still skip it
>>
>>381773010
Sony addmits they lose money on the ps4 sales. Psn alone makes more money then all of nintendo.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/ps4-sales-sony-full-year-profit/

Also not a sony shill.
>>
>>381771721
>They made it underpowered
Most powerful handheld ever
>>
>>381773557
Nintendo would have made a Loss with each unit sold, like they did with the wii U during its first year. The thing is that, the attachment rate of the software is amazing and in BotW's case, more than 100% Meaning that they could afford a small loss of 50 dollars per unit sold until the x2 woudl get cheaper after a year tops. In turn, this would give the switch at least 18 more months of lifetime.
BUT, the X2 isn't even out yet iirc. I don't know of any device that runs it, last time i checked. It would delay the switch for at least a year. Microsoft spend hundreds of millions of dollars to design the xbox one controller (yes, thousands of hours of testing the comfortness, button layout, buttons, design etc etc etc made them spend hundreds of milluions of dollars to research JUST the controller) with that in mind, nintendo has been testing the switch for many years now so that it won't overheat, so that it's comofrtable and all that stuff. They couldn't just drop everything half way through to fit in an X2.
>>
>>381773557
>>381773916
I mean, it's not even an X1, it's something uniquely designed for the switch. And jsut like >>381773860
said, it is the most powerful handheld by a VERY long shot. When you compare it to console though, it's 1.5 times more powerful than the wii U. Which is pretty fucking bad, but not a disaster.
>>
>>381773860
Nintendo markets this as a home console. You can't call it something it's not to make your point. Also, calling it a "hand held" isn't fair because it makes you think of the ds line and you go wow, look how powerful.

But its a home console tablet. And there are more powerful tablets out there. They just don't play nintendo games.

For a hand held its just slightly underpowered. For a home console its about five years behind
>>
>>381774203
There are no IOS or Android games that look even 10% as good as BotW or even have 10% of it's techonolgy.
>>
>>381774203
>For a home console its about five years behind
Oh, shut the fuck up. PS4 was underpowered when it came out, and the Xbox even more so. There aren't any powerful consoles out there. The X is coming out but it's pointless if you own a PC. Switch is the only console worth buying for multiple reasons, one of them is because it's really powerful for what it is.
>>
>>381774387
its*
sorry
>>
People like Nintendo. It's not a meme to say that their PR department is a travesty, the Wii U branding really hurt them.
I feel the 3DS suffered from this in a less extreme way, people just like Nintendo shit. They're the Apple/Disney of video games. It's just been a while since we've had a Nintendo console that wasn't a NEW XL U.
>>
>>381771721
Calling it now. The New Switch XL is coming. Also, it will have overheating issues. Screencap this post.
>>
>>381774006
>I mean, it's not even an X1, it's something uniquely designed for the switch.
Its an off the shelf SOC design, the only thing custom about it for now is the packaging, but with the demand Nintendo almost certainly has somebody placing orders with Nvidia for the next Switch revision which will probably see a smaller, cheaper and more portable version as well as a cheaper to manufacture silent revision of the original system.

>>381773557
Imagine how much less heat and power an X1 fabbed on 16nm, or the upcoming 7nm process will produce.
A full power X2 wouldn't give them as many opportunities to scale it down for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>381774871
Well if you look at X2 delivering X1 performance, the X2 consumes around half
>>
RAM is something used to sell laptops to OAPs. I've got 4GB in my home PC. Even in my work PC I rarely go over 4GB.
>>
>>381774543
The switch is barely more powerful than the Wii U. And everyone laughed at the Wii U back in 2012.

If the Switch came out in 2012, from the home console aspect, it would have been impressive. 2017, not so much
>>
>>381775175
Then why does the Xbox one x have 8gigs
>>
>>381772402
>artificial scarcity

There's that meme again. Take off your tin foil hat, sweetie. There's no conspiracy to hide Switches in warehouses while people beg for stock online.
>>
>>381775301
xbone x has 12 gigs of ram.
8 is still enough to get everything running at 60fps, even witcher 3. 12 is a tiny bit overkill but it's called being future proof. Of course, microsoft only did it so that they have more ram than the competitioon
>>
>>381772089
>most powerful console
>Dreamcast
>Gamecube
>XBONE
are you retarded?
>>
>>381772089
these are all great consoles that did alright except the gamecube. all of them was marketing really
>>
Nintendo knows their too far behind their competitors to compete head on. So instead of investing in horsepower their going to keep relying on gimmicks and making the system just powerful enough so its games won't look super dated. I also don't see any major revisions in the future save for maybe cosmetic. A bigger system would kill the portability aspect and a smaller one would have smaller JC and the screen would be too small for multiple people to enjoy.
>>
>>381775508
You missed the point.
>>
>>381775209
>The switch is barely more powerful than the Wii U.
WiiU had an OpenGL ES 2 GPU at a time when its competitors were on ES 3 (or the equivalent DirectX)
Switch uses Vulkan, which can be thought of as Mantle 2.0, where Mantle was the basis for both DirectX 12 used by the Xbone, and the PS4's custom graphics API.

Its GPU is a lot more modern, and capable of a lot more than we've seen out of it so far. BotW is kind of similar to a lot of the current generation of Vulkan games where the engine wasn't really designed with it in mind as so it only manages about the same performance as the last-gen API, but once engines actually start to be designed around it they'll be much faster, or at the least have less slowdowns.
>>
File: 1495978117689.png (580KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495978117689.png
580KB, 600x600px
Switch XN: Holiday 2020

Switch XN spec improvements:
>Tegra Xavier GPU
>1080p screen
>8 GB DDR5 ram
>256 GB internal flash memory
>Bluetooth 6.1
>25k mAh 4.2V lithium-air battery

Same library of games, full crossplay, no backwards or forwards restrictions.
O/S will now have three graphics modes: Low (old handheld) // Medium (old docked, new handheld) // High (new docked)
Games with updates for XNHD will run in Medium // High on the Switch XN, and Low // Medium on the Switch Classic. Supported games will have XNHD texture packs available for download as well as updates, while unsupported games will render as Medium both handheld and docked.

MSRP $299.99
>>
>>381775583
>the screen would be too small for multiple people to enjoy
It already is
>>
>>381775386
He said growing claims you dip, not wether or not it was true.
>>
>>381774543
>one of them is because it's really powerful for what it is.
Yeah, the tegra X1 IS really powerful for what it is. And what it is a chip designed for 4k streaming. Anything more and it's woefully underpowered.
>>
>>381775678
This is a good idea but nintendo will never do it because that does not sell systems as much as doing something completely new and unexpected.

They will iterate their hardware but

1) it won't be 2020
2) It'll be more iterative than this

Also, wtf is in this bluetooth 6.1 spec? Is that just speculation?
>>
>>381774203
>And there are more powerful tablets out there. They just don't play nintendo games.
Lmao at people that actually believe this shit. The X1 in the Switch requires so much power it needs a fucking fan to keep it cool. All those passively cooled tablets don't even come close to the X1's processing power.
>>
>>381775678
yeah no goo pepe,
2gb gddr6
1079p screen
>>
>>381775508
Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbone were the most powerful consoles in their markets for most of a generation
>>
>>381775678
This is the most never ever post I've seen in a while
>>
>>381774543
>Switch is the only console worth buying for multiple reasons, one of them is because it's really powerful for what it is.
Yes, it's fantastic as a handheld and awful as a home console. You seem to misunderstand something, Nintendo is branding this as a hybrid with the home console side being the primary feature. It's why we have the 3DS still getting new games and support all the way into 2018 and possibly past it, they do not want it replaced with the Switch because they want two sides.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e3-2017-nintendo-wants-all-the-biggest-third-party-games-on-switch

The problem is that the third parties don't care about bringing their big hitters over because they would have to destroy it visually and they can't do features and selling points the other systems can because the Switch itself isn't powerful enough. We already have companies outright refusing to release things like Grand Theft Auto, the newest Call of Duties, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, hell, Ubisoft released STEEP of all things a year after it came out already. Bethesda is releasing Skyrim more than 6 years as if it's brand new and revolutionary, a game that can run on my toaster. Third parties can't even decide what kind of games they want to make on the things, if they're console quality or handheld quality, and when they do try to port games that were on console like Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and I am Setsuna we see the results: Terrible framerates and even handheld mode has to suffer from it at times.

Nintendo needs to put the axe to 3DS and shift everything to Switch so that we get both console and handheld quality games that deal with the Switch's shortcomings because the third parties are going to dabble, they're not going to go all out at all like Nintendo wants.
>>
>>381775508
Well, the Dreamcast was part of the sixth generation, along with the Gamecube, so that's wrong.

But the Gamecube was the most powerful console of that generation. For example, in Resident Evil 4, all the cutscenes were in-engine, while on the PS2 and Xbox they were pre-rendered.

Dunno about XBone's hardware.
>>
>>381775406
>xbone x has 12 gigs of ram.
>12 is a tiny bit overkill but it's called being future proof.

I wouldn't say that.
A current typical low-end gaming PC build for running games like the Witcher 3 will have at least 8GB system + 4GB video memory.
Future proof would be a 16GB + 8GB configuration.

Its really important to remember that the XboneX is not a powerful gaming PC regardless of Microsoft's advertisements. It has 12GB of shared memory whose capacity and bandwidth have to be divided among the Windows 10 S based OS (with all of the bad stuff that brings), the game executable its running, and the integrated graphics hardware's needs.
Its impressive performance for an SOC, especially one based on an outdated cpu core and several year old gpu design, but the upcoming Ryzen+Vega SOCs will be better.
>>
>>381776005
Dreamcast and Xbone spent over a year being the most powerful console on the market
>>
File: Nintendo_Switch_teardown_1.jpg (91KB, 490x686px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_Switch_teardown_1.jpg
91KB, 490x686px
>>381775885
Just look at the cooling pipe on that had boy
>>
>>381776005
Xbox was more powerful than Gamecube in general, if you want to cherry pick one game as a reason one console is more powerful than the other you could look at Burnout 3 which Criterion even went through the effort writing assembly code as a last-ditch desperation attempt to get it working before having to flat out cancel the project.
>>
>>381776392
On gamecube that is*
>>
>>381775962
>It's why we have the 3DS still getting new games and support all the way into 2018
By other companies, sure. It'd be stupid to ignore around 67 million users.
>The problem is that the third parties don't care about bringing their big hitters over
They thought it would be another Wii U, end of story. Companies also make stupid decisions. There's rumors they're going to bring fucking LA Noire of all things so that should tell you how stupid companies are.
>Nintendo needs to put the axe to 3DS and shift everything to Switch
They already have, slowpoke. The only reason why they said it was "third pillar" again was in case the Switch failed which it didn't. From now on all of their consoles will be a hybrid. All of their games on one console because it's simply too costly and time consuming to support 2.
>>
>>381775962
You're right with everything, but there is more to that. Why would anyone buy the switch version of the lattest CoD? Actually, scratch that, portability, why else, the seeling point of the switch.
The other thing is, again, everyone who has a switch or is going to buy a switch, already has a ps4, or a ps4 pro or an xbox one and or a PC, or an xbox one x soon. Meaning that, they simply won't buy the switch for the multiplats. It also has to be said that, why do you personally care for these games? Or do you not? If not then ignore the spoilered text. Honestly, every single western AAA multiplat shown at this years E3 made me feel insulted. Especially the new Assassins creed. The gameplay with the Hawk was just abysmal.
People Will buy the switch for Zelda, mario and the next MAIN-Line pokemon game. The switch will sell and all they needed was, surprise, Good video games.
>>
>>381775885
There's passively cooled tablets with better processors.
>>
>>381775678
The nost retarded thing is
>299

All that shit would be around 420-500 if you dont want to sell it on a lost.
>>
>>381771721
Nobody who's buying a switch cares about specs, they care about the games which are for the most part excellent.
>>
>>381776241
Cooling pipe dont matter too much. I dont think my phone samsung s7 have a cooling system. Same goes to iphones.
>>
>>381776225
well i have an rx480 and 8gigs of ram and nothing managed to Not run at 60 fps and on max so far.
Also what's the xbox one x's cpu like? They didn't talk about it at all.
>>
File: 1456783905293.jpg (89KB, 505x726px) Image search: [Google]
1456783905293.jpg
89KB, 505x726px
>>381774203
>Also, calling it a "hand held" isn't fair because it makes you think of the ds line and you go wow,
wtf am I reading
>>
File: 1469063226023.gif (2MB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
1469063226023.gif
2MB, 280x211px
>>381776005
Resident 4 was never released on Xbox.
>>
>>381776635
Those tablets are much larger and have metal bodies that are used as heatsinks.
They also generally aren't being used solely to play demanding video games which means they can usually run in a lower power state without needing to worry about throttling.
>>
>>381776685
in 2020?
>>
File: 1497792845293.png (562KB, 803x593px) Image search: [Google]
1497792845293.png
562KB, 803x593px
>>381771721
>muh horsepower
>muh grafics

kill yourself lol
>>
>>381776227
you are mistaking the Wii U launch with the xbone
>>
>>381776635
In terms of CPU? Yeah, GPU? Nope.
>>
>>381776994
When you say its the most powerful hand held it makes it sound better than it is. It puts it in a box of video game hand held like the 3ds. In reality it's just like every other tablet except Nintendo put two Wii remotes on its sides
>>
>>381773735
then you wonder why they're doing paid online
>>
>>381775905
The original PS4 is more powerful than the Original Xbone. The only one that holds true in that list is the dreamcast and that's only because it came out 6 months before the next generation.
>>
>>381777242
It doesn't matter if you see it is a handheld or not. It's going to sell like a handheld. In 4 months, Switch has already surpassed 1/5th of Japan's PS4 install base.
>>
>>381776929
The SOC for the XboneX uses the same 8 Jaguar CPU cores as the original Xbone.
Which is probably why they didn't mention it much.
>>
>>381776558
> It also has to be said that, why do you personally care for these games?
I don't personally care if they get brought over or not, however they do bring in people and we know for a fact taking chances on the system seems to require Nintendo moneyhatting things or being an indie. The mainstream and normal people looking for systems probably do have another system, you're right, but they also see it not having these third party games and only Nintendo games as a dearth of games between Nintendo not releasing anything, same as it was with the Wii U. We see tons of articles about people wanting these kind of titles for the system even if they're not going to spend their money on them.

Keep in mind that getting third party support also gives us chances for unique games without Nintendo needing to look over everyone's shoulders to get games made. It's really only indies taking chances with everyone else porting shit from other consoles at worse framerates and graphical fidelity even in handheld mode. I want unique games from these third parties instead of ports but we need said ports to get the unique games.
>>
>>381777153
>>381777383
oh im mistaking 360 for xbone
why the fuck does MS insist on all these fucking identical console names
xbox 360-1 x
>>
>make a system with fun games
>advertise it

Its not hard to understand OP. Like 95% of people dont give a rats ass about specs and neither should you
>>
>>381771721
What about the battery, though?
>>
>>381777082
>XboneX
>"modern"

Please, its still using jaguar cpu cores and second-gen GCN graphics in its low-end notebook class SOC.
>>
>>381777485
I much prefer exclusive 3rd party games that otherwise would've never been made. Like bayonetta 2.
The switcch will probably have 3rd party support but not the usual multiplats that is on every other system. Think of Capcom 5. At least i hope so
>>
>>381777721
OwO
What's this???????
>>
>>381777242
But it is the most powerful handheld console? What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>381771721
>MUH GRAFIX
Fuck off and die you worthless retard
>>
>>381777647
Speaking of battery I wonder how long the battery will last in the Switch before it needs to be replaced
>>
>>381777842
The XboneX doesn't use modern discrete gaming hardware. It uses a System-on-Chip similar to other low-end devices like phones, tablets, netbooks, etc.
The SOC in question in this case combines 8 of AMD's old low-end 'cat' cores (8 cores / 8 threads), in this case the Jaguar, with second-gen GCN graphics (similar to a cut down 290).

In terms of a low-cost mass market device this is relatively decent, but its not equal to a modern mid-range gaming PC with a 6 core / 12 thread Ryzen CPU and a 480 Polaris (4th gen GCN) GPU.
>>
File: 1467745114025.jpg (106KB, 560x510px) Image search: [Google]
1467745114025.jpg
106KB, 560x510px
muh console wars
>>
>>381778279
>System-on-Chip

Yeah no shit it's a fucking console, idiot.
>>
>>381778279
gcn? gamecube? lol
>>
>>381777061
Nintendo won't exist in 2020.
>>
>>381778301
Le oldfag approved reaction image loli
hehe
>>
>>381775523

No, it wasn't.
>>
File: 1489786299845.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1489786299845.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>381778459
What drives a man to be so desperate for replies? Goddamnit. Here, have a reply with an image.
Fuck me this made me sad.
>>
>>381771721
All they need is a dock that actually gives the switch a boost in power
>>
>>381778459

Nintendo has a shitload of money to weather at least one more major failure, which the Switch has already proven not to be.
>>
>>381778618
thats not possible with the current switch
it does not have a port capable of high enough bandwidth to handle a gpu I/O
>>
>>381772402

>dissuade consumer confidence with growing claims of artificial scarcity

Why do people fall for this?
>>
>>381778459
(You)
>>
>>381778361
Consoles using modern System-on-Chip hardware is actually fairly recent. Gamecube derived designs like the 360, PS3 and WiiU for instance used separate dies for the CPU, and GPU hardware though being consoles it integrates some other incidental hardware onto the same die as the GPU.
This is actually in part why the WiiU was more expensive than the competition since it was more complicated to produce requiring more chips from more vendors.

>>381778387
Graphics Core Next, the architecture AMD's GPUs have used since the 7000 series
>>
File: 1364238321626.png (300KB, 654x603px) Image search: [Google]
1364238321626.png
300KB, 654x603px
>>381771721
Nintendo definitely fucked up with the Tegra X1. It's not the worst chip on the marked in terms of power but, it is really outdated in it's architecture since it's still build on 20nm. Last year was 16nm and this year it's already 10nm. It's not so much the power increase but amount of juice it need to run the same load as a 20nm chip.

If the switch had a lets say snapdragon 835 or the Exynos 8995, the battery life would have been increased drastically. Also those chips would have roughly 70% more CPU power per core and about but around the same GPU power. Considering that Xiaomi can provide a Snapdragon 835 in it's phones for around 400 bucks, the switch wouldn't even have been that much more expensive.
>>
>>381778754
Apple just showed off USB type C based external graphics, but their laptops may allow some sort of higher bandwidth mode.
>>
File: rqw92+4024.png (644KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rqw92+4024.png
644KB, 1024x768px
>>381771721
>underpowered
Find me a portable gaming device in similar size with more power than the Switch.
>>
>>381779910
that's cool but the switch is cheaper than 400 dollars :)
>>
>>381771969
>the target is someone that doesn't buy a videogame/PC for taking 4K screenshots and doing vlogs to talk about technical aspects of their games

they did it for the right audience then, for people who deserve good, enjoyable games :)
>>
>>381772394
That's not how you use that phrase.
>>
>>381779910
snapdragons and the other shit don't have the API support
>>
>>381780068
read the post again, I said the switch wouldn't have been much more expensive, even if Nintendo decided to use more recent hardware.
>>381780103
What API are you talking about?
>>
>>381780068
the switch is also cheap plastic shit and it doesn't need as high of a profit margin as it doesn't have to be feasible by itself and instead it can increase profit from sold games

while xiaomi makes all of the profit from the device itself
>>
>>381777725
>I much prefer exclusive 3rd party games that otherwise would've never been made. Like bayonetta 2.
Yes, but this requires Nintendo moneyhatting to get it done. I want the main companies to be making them of their own volition on top of Nintendo paying for some. I know we'll eventually see the JP developers move on from the Vita to the Switch for their A and AA games no problem, but the western stuff is basically nonexistent unless Nintendo themselves pays for it or it's an indie. Not to knock indies or anything, but I just want something with a bit of a budget.
>>
>>381780212
desktop OpenGL, proper Vulkan support instead of this pseudo support where you are really just emulating half of the features
>>
>>381771721
Think of it as another handheld console
>>
>>381771721
I still doesn't understand why they don't make it more powerful, like everyone.

I know Nintendo always got great margins on their console production, but maybe beef it up a little for less profit per console but more console sales overall?
>>
>>381779910
Snapdragons are shit for gaming, they are multitasking first processors.
>>
File: budgets.jpg (754KB, 3238x1907px) Image search: [Google]
budgets.jpg
754KB, 3238x1907px
>>381780379
>I still doesn't understand why they don't make it more powerful, like everyone.
They've been doing this for the past ten years, at some point someone must've told you that they do it to keep budgets down. Nintendo develops for 1/4th the cost, and sells their games for the same price.
>>
>>381780276
Are you talking about openGL 4.5? Both the adreno and mali support vulkan.
>>
>>381780657
read again and comprehend what I wrote
>>
>>381780435
Who told you that these chips are bad for gaming? The Adreno 540 has around the same gflops as a Tegra X1 while requiring much less energy. Mind you that both Samsung and tsmc could have build a much more powerful custom Adreno/Mali GPU for Nintendo, considering that it's basically a tablet and doesn't need to safe as much power as a smartphone.
>>
>>381780739
Explain yourself. Why is the Vulkan support for those gpu different and what do you mean by proper desktop opengl?
>>
>>381780624
>Nintendo develops for 1/4th the cost
It's more accurate to say that Nintendo isn't chasing the same suicidally high graphical standards that inflate development costs to insane levels that other major publishers are. They have wisely kept their development costs at a stable level since the N64 days, which is why they won't collapse when the other big companies start to in a few years time.
>>
>>381771721

>The difference is it would have been powerful enough for third party to actually want to develop for it

Nintendo could summon Jesus, Allah and Buddha to help create the most powerful console in the universe and 3rd parties will still ignore it as long as the old Yakuza members running the company is still there. Nintendo's 3rd party issues goes beyond "MUH GRAFIX", they just dont want to put up with Nintendo's draconian bullshit.
>>
>>381781154
as you said, 4.5

it's the same as for example many DX10 cards supporting DX11, while really they do it through emulation and are like 10x slower because of it
>>
>>381777242
>makes it sound better than it is
>because it's actually impressiv ecompared to the competition

>but it's really just a tablet

I'm very confused. Is it good or bad? Are tablets good or bad?
>>
File: cod_mw3_wii_final1.jpg (250KB, 766x1076px) Image search: [Google]
cod_mw3_wii_final1.jpg
250KB, 766x1076px
>>381771721
This game exists. Your entire point is invalidated.

3rd parties can port whichever game they want to whichever system they want, if they think it'll make them money.
>>
>>381781308
Did you see the Wii library? Draconian Nintendo has been gone for decades. The real reason is that Nintendo takes up half of all software sales on their own consoles, it's a murderous ecosystem to compete in.
>>
>>381780624
This is Sony and everybody else fucking up, really.
>>
>>381782143
It's a different business strategy. Nintendo leverages their own ecosystem to sell lots of games, Sony leverages their ecosystem to make other people sell lots of games and harvest the royalties.
>>
>>381782301
Its a shit strategy for everybody except for garbage AAA companies like EA.
Bigger gaming budgets means less games on the market also more required sales and more customer milking.

Sony was in a much better spot back in the PS1 and PS2 era where they had all the third parties, more third parties existed and development was generally cheaper.
>>
>>381771721
its targeted specifically towards the casual crowd.
>>
File: IMG_4509.jpg (163KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4509.jpg
163KB, 1200x800px
>>381771721
You do realize that there isn't all that much difference between the tegra X11 and the tegra x2 right?
>>
I am legitimately worried about the amount of pointless Nippon sheckels im going to be giving Nintendo when the virtual console drops.

Fucking Mario kart 64 multiplayer
>>
>>381783941
only like double the bandwidth and 50% performance at the same consumption
>>
>>381771721
Heres to that.
>>
File: 1494550202552.gif (232KB, 440x296px) Image search: [Google]
1494550202552.gif
232KB, 440x296px
>>381772089
>most powerful
>N64
It could have been for its generation if Nintendo stuck with SGI's original design and didn't cut the ram in half to juice profits.
>>
>>381775885
Pretty sure Apple's A10X (and even the regular A10) runs circles around the Switch's X1.
>and it doesn't even have fans
>>
>>381780975
>gflops meme
The way you can apply that power is vastly different. Your performance memes don't always translate 1:1 to real life applications.
>>
>>381784596
A10X does. A10 doesn't, A9X comes close
>>
>>381784254
Nvidia don't use Tegra X2 for shit not even their own products. Something clearly went wrong with it's developed resulting in it's delayed use in all their products outside the parker variant.
>>
>>381785954
it's currently in their dev kit, jetson 2

from what I understand they expected car manufacturers to take it, they probably don't really have use for the chip so they aren't bothering wasting manufacturing plant resources towards producing it in mass
>>
File: 1498130094052.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498130094052.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
> mfw all scalpers are official Nintendo employees and it's a global conspiracy to make millions in non taxable dollars
>>
File: 1495411521890.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1495411521890.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
>>381786519
Seems more like Nintendo's days of yakuza antics in the vidya market are well over. More likely the case is that the people calling the shots genuinely do not understand their foreign customer base. If they did, the Vita would be dead tomorrow.
>>
>>381786519
No
>>
The big thing for me is that fucking controller.
>20 dollars more expensive than the 50 dollar WiiU pro controller
>Half the battery life of the WiiU pro and different stick placements (Caring about stick placements is autism)
>New features are Gyro, HD Rumble, and amiibo scanner
>Steam Controller has Gyro and HD Rumble in it for 55 and goes on sale for 35 (I can get two for the price of one Switch controller) not to mention shitloads of features on top of those two, so that's not where the additional price comes from
>Only unique thing about the Switch Pro is a physical DLC scanner built into the controllers
Either that amiibo scanner is fucking stupidly expensive and putting one in every controller is a terrible idea or Kimishima is a greedy money grubbing jew. Guess which it is?
>>
>If I want to play Mario Kart 8 with minute, tiny improvements over my copy of 8 on WiiU (And more items and worse online stability) I'd have to pay:
>300 dollars for a Switch
>60 dollars for a port of a game
>70x4 so that me and all my friends can play like we do on the WiiU, 280 dollars just to get all the controller you need
You're seriously looking at 640 dollars just to play a port of a WiiU game on a console way less powerful than the standard PS4 or Xbone. And people are unironically saying this console and anything involved in it is worth the money
>>
>>381788123
but me can play in me yard and shieet
>>
>>381786519
I am honestly in this boat. I really think they do this. It's not as hard as you might think to be able to hoard and resell your own product on a 3rd party website.
>>
>>381776996
360 port is the ps2 port and uses pre-rendered cutscenes
>>
File: 1498231423188.gif (4MB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
1498231423188.gif
4MB, 298x224px
>>381788123
Why would you buy controllers for your friends? If they want to play they should buy their own controllers, retard.
>>
File: 1366348609182.jpg (296KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1366348609182.jpg
296KB, 1200x1200px
>>381788414
>I'm a good little fanboy and only associate with people who play the same gaming platforms as me
Maybe because my friends casually game at best these days and all own PS4's as a result?
>>
>>381788542
No offense, but you sound like a cuck. If your friends want to play Switch with you then have them buy their own console and controllers. You have no obligation to buy them shit unless you are a cuck.
>>
>>381788798
you sound like a literal kid
>>
anyone else just play it in handheld mode. I dont see any point to play it any way
>>
>>381788985
playing on the big screen makes more sense if you are at home and playing games outside of your home is a no no
>>
>>381788798
and you sound like someone who has never had friends. you were that kid who ejected SNES games when you were losing
>>
>>381789139
no he's that kid who yells in call of doody because he's not old enough to ever have seen a snes
>>
>>381788123
He's such a cute old fella when he smiles.
>>
>>381789253
Nigga fuck Cuckishima
>>
File: 1497288071284.jpg (16KB, 274x368px) Image search: [Google]
1497288071284.jpg
16KB, 274x368px
>>381789317
Don't fuck old men. That's nasty.
>>
>>381771721
Gameplay > graphic fidelity
We will see if the library is still trash after a year or two
>>
>>381788414
This.
>>
>>381790126
both would be neat
>>
The biggest factor preventing me from getting a switch is the system itself. now that Nintendo has established a pattern with the DS to release reiterations of systems every few years, I don't have the confidence in Nintendo to shell out all of this cash for a system only to be presented with a better model two years later.
>>
>>381790260
They all have HD graphics, so they're good enough. We're in diminishing returns anyway, graphics are no longer impressive, so why do you even care?
>>
>>381771721
I dreamt about grilling my own joycons in order to remove the grease on them.
>>
>>381790260
well, we do technically considering it's a handheld
>>
>>381771721
I genuinely liked the Wii U more than the Switch.

If you look at games, Switch seems to be going anti-niche as their strategy.

Niche games were why I liked Wii U. So I'm skipping this gen.
>>
the X2 doesnt exist yet you fucking idiot
and if it did, itd be marginally stronger yet significantly more expensive
thats ignoring how hot the system would get and how much battery life itd use up
>>
The Switch's weak hardware isn't its biggest problem, it's the low install base and late release. Third-parties have little incentive to start developing Switch ports now.
>>
>>381791743
>Third-parties have little incentive to start developing Switch ports now.

Lol we already have a huge selection of third party on the eShop now
>>
>>381791075
mario oddysey looks like shit at 720p and with it trying to look kind of realistic on the shitty hardware
>>
>>381793496
Nah
>>
>>381791886
Oh, yeah, those 3 years old indies for $40 each.
>>
>>381791886
>huge selection of third party on the eShop now
have you ever owned a non-nintendo console in your life?
>>
File: xboxe.jpg (168KB, 1057x603px) Image search: [Google]
xboxe.jpg
168KB, 1057x603px
>>381794293
uh yeah?
>>
>>381794402
I've seen this image on /v/ few times by now. Try again with a timestamp.
>>
>>381771721
>capcom recommended 4gb
>MHW isn't coming to the switch anyway
LOL
>>
>>381791743
>Third-parties have little incentive to start developing Switch ports now.

Western third parties were never going to make games on a Nintendo system anyway. Its success in Japan means that the Japanese third parties are going to be flocking to it though. Not the big AAA games, but the smaller ones that would've been on Sony systems.
>>
>>381794542
no
>>
>>381791737
Actually the X2 would use less power and produce less heat, while giving roughly the same results
>>
>>381794561
>MHW isn't coming to the switch
MHXX, even if it was a port.
>>
>>381794402
Then you'd have to be deluded to defend nintendo's current eshop offerings. I get the console is only a few months old, but still. When the best downloadable game is shovel knight, you've got a problem
>>
>>381794762
woah nice opinion bro
>>
>>381773916
>The thing is that, the attachment rate of the software is amazing
Its good for Zelda and a few individual games, but overall its sold something like half the software the Wii U did in the same time frame. They'll just never sell hardware at a loss again, they did it once and they lost money for the first time ever since they entered the video game industry. Until the Wii U, Nintendo had never lost money.
>>
>>381794825
he has the right opinion, need more games and GCN VC
>>
>>381794736
>implying a 3DS port needs 4gb of ram
>>
>>381794669
This shit is laughable.

Why would a company made an exclusive for Switch with 5 mil install base while ignoring 60 mil PS4?
>>
>>381794931
>ignoring the mention that it was a port
>>
>>381794926
>lol console would be better with more games

penetrating insight bro
>>
>>381794995
not him but switch has no games atm so a big chunk of those 5 mil would probably get anything that's remotely worth playing
>>
>>381795086
Are you a shill or a drone?
>>
>underpowered
>no handheld before was ever this powerful

please try shilling harder
>>
>>381795070
>ignoring the mention that capcom recommended 4gb and isn't bringing over games that actually need that much
>>
>>381795167
no you're just an idiot
>>
>>381795086
When the best downloadable game is shovel knight, you've got a problem
>>
>>381795162
I get it, but it makes no sense to develop a Switch exclusive if you're a third party.
>>
>>381795235
>switch is 6 months old
>>
>>381795273
nah
>>
>>381777082
Is every game now gonna be FPS or Shooters?
>>
>>381771721
They marketed it as a cool accessory for sociable adults, so kids actually wanted it.
>>
>>381795236
A shill then?

>>381795172
Tablet.
>>
>>381795330
very insightful
>>
>>381795416
seek help :)
>>
>spent $400 to play a game that's gonna die in a week when I could have bought a PS4 for $200 and a ton of alive games
hahaha i hate my life
>>
>>381795172
this is supposed to be their all in one home console
>>
>>381795518
likewise. There are tons of good games to get off the store
>>
>>381772394
>how did they avoid shooting themselves in the foot
"Why" isn't quite the right word to use here
>>
>>381795534
Is this a threat, shitchbro?
>>
>>381795635
no you fucking drone, even moderate drones have no trouble admitting that the library needs improvement
>>
>>381794995
Install base.

60 million PS4's but even the hottest games don't get a third of that userbases attention.
Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Smash are owned by nearly everybody with a WiiU.

The Switch can have a smaller userbase than the PS4 but more potential for sales from a business perspective.
>>
>>381795672
no
>>
>>381795172
Vita is stronger and much older. My phone is stronger than a Switch
>>
>>381795635
Yeah, all two.
>>
>>381795721
okay
>>
>>381795298
It makes no sense to develop an exclusive on any platform in you're a third party and aren't receiving any financial assistance from the platform holder.

We have increasingly bloated AAA budgets and focus on story and graphics over gameplay to thank for that. Games are to expensive to make when they need to strive for visual realism and look and play like a film, with full voice-acting, motion capture, cutscenes, etc.
>>
>>381795726
>Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Smash are owned by nearly everybody with a WiiU.
That's first party.
>>
>>381795778
>only my opinion matters

lol what are you autistic?
>>
>>381795881
I wish we could go back to 10mil a triple a game, it would mean more experimenting in your game and the focus being put on gameplay first
>>
>>381795881
Some people want their games to look good, that's why they restrict choice of hardware. It's not a bad thing.
>>
>>381795726
Fair enough, but doesn't that only happen with first-party games?
>>
File: 1423531090489.jpg (35KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
1423531090489.jpg
35KB, 493x387px
>>381795934
Bayonetta 2 isn't an there's pretty much zero copies of that game in the wild.
>>
It doesn't make sense. How is the Switch game situation any different from WiiU? A couple of third party ports of games that no one asked for, indies, and Nintendo's stale lineup.
>>
>>381795983
>only my opinion matters
That's you right now, toddler.
>>
>>381795760
>Vita is stronger
How the fuck do you get this idea?

The gap between the two is fucking huge, Switch is not weaker.
>>
>>381794995
>People buy consoles when they have games
>Publishers won't make games until people buy the console
Ubisoft said the same thing when the WIi U came out and they crapped out half-baked ports and ZombiU and they didn't sell millions. Complained about install base when the Xbone at the time had a smaller one.

Its just bullshit, they don't want to say their AAA games are stupidly expensive to make and they flat-out can't afford to make exclusives for ANY platform without additional funding and support. The industry as it is now is not sustainable.
>>
>>381771721
People expect to get wiiu games ported to it, pretty simple
>>
>>381796132
Oh, the famous appeal to scarcity.
>>
>>381796178
no u
>>
>>381796268
As far as install bases go not having a single copy of the game still out in the wild is pretty exceptional. And then there are all the online sales on top of that, as well as anyone relying on Piracy.

BOTW sold more Switch copies than there are Switches, sure it wouldn't happen 1:1 that big for a third party dev on Nintendo, but you don't think developers are interested in getting at least slice of that action?
>>
>>381796076
No, you just want games to be photo-realistic. Games that look good can do so without trying to look as realistic as possible, without hardware that mandates it be sold at a loss or cost $500+. You are part of the problem, you've been conditioned to think that any game that isn't AAA garbage isn't "modern" enough, anything that's not photo-realistic isn't visually appealing and cannot by definition be.
>>
>>381796105
We will see with that rabbids gayme
>>
>>381796076
Graphical fidelity prioritized over artstyle is a surefire way to make sure your game looks like shit in a half decades time.
>>
>>381796245
>Switch is not weaker
Oh look, a nintenbro has arrived. Please wake me up when Nintendo tops this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUA_Yw6ehU
>>
>>381796608
>strawman

Let me try this too. You're a mentally ill bing bing wahoo toddler who hates all 1080p games because his idolized company can't make games with decent visuals.
>>
>>381778194
Still no (You) :(
>>
>>381796537
No, because the traditional retail model selling a $60 game isn't making as much money as it used to and most western third-party publishers are now looking to micropurchase-based revenue streams. Consoles and dedicated hardware in general is selling far less than it did 5-10 years ago.

Publishing some games for the Switch won't make $1 billion like Overwatch managed to in its first year with loot boxes. Sure, they might throw a few bones here and there, but largely I don't think they'll develop for the Switch in a big way because the business models they want to adopt and push aren't really possible there. We're seeing a growing trend, new games are more often focused on some kind of online connectivity, and that almost always features some form of microtransaction. Third parties won't be able to make much pushing that model on the Switch.
>>
>>381796942
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUA_Yw6ehU
That looks terrible AND the trailer has extreme FPS drops
>>
>>381796537
>you don't think developers are interested in getting at least slice of that action?

I do. That's why I think developers will be making multiplats for both Switch and PS4.

Original poster was talking about how devs will abandon Sony and move to making exclusive Switch games, which is stupid.
>>
>>381797118
>Bitches about dynamic frame rate going from 24-45fps
>Has no problem with Breath of Dog Shit being locked at 24fps and looking way worse
You sure showed me little guy
>>
>>381796942
This game was shit.
Wake me up, when sony will make good games (not movies).
>>
>>381772089
>Dreamcast
>Gamecube

You're the dunce. The Dreamcast was part of the 6th gen, and the Xbox was the most powerful console that gen.
>>
>>381796775
Why not both?
>>
>>381797223
Might want to rewatch that trailer, some of the units move like a fucking slide show, and every time an explosion goes off it tanks to sub 10 fps. Not to mention the texture work and modeling look like shit.
>>
>>381797228
Learn some new tricks, toddler.
>>
>>381797120
I could see that happening because of the gap in hardware.
>>
>>381797228
I got you senpai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlBfynsXZs
Keep trying Nintendildos
>>
Can I have a Professor Layton game, Mr. Tendy?
>>
File: wiiu.jpg (48KB, 1024x665px) Image search: [Google]
wiiu.jpg
48KB, 1024x665px
>>381772089
Pic related was the strongest console on the market from november 2012 until november 2013 when the PS4 and Xbone dropped if you're gonna include the Dreamcast weird 5.5 gen.
>>
>>381796956
>Some people want their games to look good

I can think of plenty of games that are absolutely fantastic and look wonderful that would run on a wristwatch.

Games don't need expensive hardware to look good, they need strong and cohesive art direction. Loss-leading with hardware flat-out does not fucking work for game consoles. Sony and MS both lost billions doing it, its part of why 7th gen dragged on for so damn long, they needed to recoup those massive losses.
>>
>>381797374
Why? These are workin' good enough.
>>
>>381797552
In your sick mind maybe.
>>
>>381797541
>all games must look like Disney cartoon because that's what I like
>>
>>381771721
>Why didn't Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot with the gamecube, ds, wii, wii u, 3ds? They made it underpowered and now third party doesn't want it.

This has been Nintendo's strategy for over a decade now. They know what they're doing. Nintendo's selling point is not cutting edge technology or trendy triple A titles. It's their legacy. They don't have to beat the other guys at their own game. They can be as quirky as they want and still win first or second place every generation.
>>
>>381773735
>2016/04
>arstechnica
>>
>>381781650
Which is why the Wii U barely had any decent 3rd party games, because it wouldn't make money.
Also the same reason the Switch will barely have 3rd party.
>>
>>381797419
>>381797118
>Unstable or 30fps 544p games

https://youtu.be/tKlRN2YpxRE
60fps switch 720p game

Gee, I wonder which system is more powerful
>>
>>381771721
>third party doesn't want it
Nintendo doesn't NEED third party. Multiplat games like Battlefield and Assassin's Creed and all that shit will *never* be better on any console than they are on PC, and I think nintendo knows that. All they need to do is keep releasing their core franchises and making them good, and anyone who likes those franchises will buy one. It's not particularly expensive, and all the exclusives make it a much better investment than any other console. And no, having 50 exclusives that are all the same rehashed third person shooter movie with a reskin is not equal to having 10 exclusives, each of which fill different genres with unique, personal touches and aesthetics.
>>
>>381771721
Casuals don't give a shit about how powerful a console is or what exclusives are on it.
Look at the PS4. All the machine has is fucking remasters and it's under-powered. It has a total of 4 exclusives, if that and the rest are remasters from last gen and multiplats. It has the worst retention rate of any console and it still sold well.

Why?

Because marketing is what matters, nothing else. Normies eat up anything that's on TV. They don't care about games. They don't care about hardware. They don't care about exclusives. They just want a box that plays netflix and fifa.

The Switch is successful because it appeals to normies, and no other reason.
>>
>>381797940
>60fps switch 720p game
MK8D is 1080p docked
>>
>>381797940
>Gee, I wonder which system is more powerful
I could tell you but you're not going to like my answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6pvIINrR4

Don't mind me kid, just 2011 here making you look like a bitch
>>
>>381797798
What happened with Wii U then? That lost hard
>>
>>381797775
Again, loss-leading with hardware just means money is lost. You want Nintendo to produce a console that would either need to be sold at a loss or would be prohibitively expensive. They've been financially successful because their hardware was affordable, not because it produced the best visuals. Again, they never lost money year-over-year until the Wii U, the first console they sold at a loss.

People do not want a $400+ Nintendo console, its simply not going to sell. Xbone sold far under expectations at $500, PS3 bombed and lost Sony billions at $600 and they've had to spend the following decade trying to make a dent in that massive loss. 8th gen sale totals aren't anywhere close to 7th or even 6th gen, people are simply less interested in dedicated game hardware.
>>
>>381798171
switch could run this at 1080p 60fps
>>
>>381771721
you’re right anon, they didn’t shoot themselves in the foot
it’s a good console at this point in its life. way better than the ps4/xbone 3 months from release
>>
>>381773735
>Psn alone makes more money then all of nintendo
>PSN
>the multiplayer network that you have to pay for with the highest number of cawwadoody casual chads
Gee whillikers I wonder why
>>
File: 1410752679203.jpg (136KB, 500x478px) Image search: [Google]
1410752679203.jpg
136KB, 500x478px
Just a friendly reminder that the WiiU had more true 720p, 1080p, and 60fps exclusives than the fucking PS4 or Xbone.

Artstyle>>>>"More polygons means its better"

Also if you buy a Nintendo console for multiplats or assume that's what most of the user base is doing you're retarded.
>>
>>381798243
It didn't connect with people, plain and simple. They made a misstep.
>>
>>381798260
>You want Nintendo to produce a console that would either need to be sold at a loss or would be prohibitively expensive.
No, I don't? I don't give a shit about what Nintendo does.
>>
>>381798171
lol nice portability faggot :)
>>
>>381798171
Dis nigga serious?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuzSat4TTlU
>>
>>381798275
I can't wait to see it happen! I'm sure Crysis will look great on it too anon-kun! Oh wait, Nintendo has to make washed out cartoon shit to hide the weakness of their systems. Vita is still miles ahead of the Switch and was on launch as well
>>
>>381798350
>implying that anyone wants 720p exclusives
Nigger what
>>
>>381798350
Yeah, WiiU had more 720p games than PS4. False about other two though.
>>
>>381774203
>more powerful tablets
I mean, if you want to pay $2,000 for Apple's latest piece of shit that can barely play angry birds at 15 fps, sure.
>For a hand held its just slightly underpowered
It's really, really not. None of the games I've played on the switch would ever be able to run on any tablet I've seen, and the switch actually has a usable control scheme.
>>
>>381798403
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAkVPTn8cc

there's also a better hover racer coming to the switch
>>
>>381798171
Shitty textures, fps drops on boosts. All with a whole one racer on screen.

Sure showed us
>>
Sorry Nintindildos, Vita is the stronger console, I'll keep posting proof until you get it through your tiny baby heads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2A8ykpu1Bw
>>
>>381771721
Name a more Powerful handheld.

Pro tip: you can't.
>>
>>381798585
Isn't this out already?
>>
>>381798441
PS4 has got 544p and shit upscaled to 720p. WiiU had real 720 and 1080.

720p might not be a major bragging point but it's still better than either the PS4 or Xbone did.

>>381798513
Sony basically has a policy of not shooting for 60fps. Show me the exclusives that are running at that framerate. And show me the ACTUAL 1080p with no parlor tricks to achieve it.
>>
>>381773735
Then why was Nintendo worth more than Sony as of last year?
>http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-is-now-more-valuable-than-sony-thanks-to-pokemon-go/
>>
>>381798403
>Vita is still miles ahead of the Switch and was on launch as well
Probably the most delusional post I've ever read on this website.
>>
>>381777242
I don't get your logic. It IS in a "box of video game hand held like the 3ds." It literally is. Nintendo's not making any more separate handhelds. The Switch is their new handheld. It's a handheld that can easily be hooked up to a TV and can run games as well as their home consoles.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 600x450px
>>381777242
You're a fucking dumbass. It's a handheld that plugs into an HDMI slot and for that, it's the most powerful handheld ever by far.
> In reality it's just like every other tablet except Nintendo put two Wii remotes on its sides
This is completely fucking irrelevant because a tablet is not a handheld gaming system. There is nothing on tablets anywhere near Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, or Skyrim so it's a completely moot point.
>calling it the most powerful handheld makes it sound better than it is because you're comparing it to other handhelds
????
>>
File: IMG_20170306_005615.jpg (422KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170306_005615.jpg
422KB, 1280x1440px
>>381798121
I was making an apples to apples comparison of handheld versions was all.

It's just factually wrong to say that the switch is weaker than the Vita, there's literally no maths you can do that results in it being so.
>>
>>381772912

>thinking the underpowered console meme started with Wii

underage detected. Gameboy was a fossil when it came out but it still crushed all the other technologically superior competitors. Sega had a chance with the Nomad but Pokemon dashed those dreams away.
>>
File: 1446144604003.jpg (771KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446144604003.jpg
771KB, 849x1200px
They seriously thought they could get away with 3gb of ram?
No wonder devs can't port shit to it, How does the Switch compare to a GPD?

I would have to say 6 is minimum, 8 is enough and 16 is good.
We at a bit of a transitional phase right now with RAM.
>>
>>381798817
far better textures on Wipeout Vita, nice shitty effects over the wii3 version to hide how ugly it is
>>
>>381772912
>I was born after 9/11 the post

Have you seen the NES?
Have you seen the SNES?

No, I guess not.
>>
>>381773735

>Psn alone makes more money then all of nintendo.
>defending Sony jewwing out online play

TOPPEST OF KEKS
>>
>>381798403
Nigga I love my Vita but Gravity Rush is pretty much The Return of N64 fog: The game.

The vita is filled with a bunch of weak console games instead of powerful handheld games and that design decision was really stupid.
>>
>>381797502
It's a shame people didn't give it a chance.
>>
>>381798668
Cause most of Sony's divisions have been losing money for a while, their video game department is one of the few exceptions. I think they're mostly propped up by their insurance division these days.
>>
>>381798658
Name 1(one) 720p PS4 game
>>
>>381798403
top fucking kek, Vita had nothing at launch and to this day has nothing but mediocre weeb trash and ports that nobody asked for. Mario Odyssey and BoTW alone are more than Vita ever had, and localized or not the Switch is already getting MonHun.
>>
>>381798651
yes but this one is shit tier
>>
>>381799003
True 720p? No parlor tricks? Upscaling? etc?

I can't. Thats the problem
>>
>>381798658
>PS4 has got 544p and shit upscaled to 720p.
Any examples?
>>
>>381775386
There may be some meat to that, as Nintendo is likely stockpiling a certain number of Switches to make sure a good number are available when they roll out Spaltoon 2. But of course, that is a response to the market scarcity to begin with
>>
>>381798989
It's a shame Nintendo decided to make some retarded tablet gimmick instead of giving gamers what they want. It's a damn shame that they've done it all over again. Switch will last 2 years tops
>>
>>381777242
What tablet have you seen that could EVER run something like Breath of the Wild? I've seen people try to play a call of duty zombie game on an iPad that looked like it was a port of a game released for the original DS, and it ran like absolute shit and the battery dropped 50% after half an hour. Not to mention that iPad cost more than my PC, which runs BF1 on ultra at around 60fps.
The switch is more powerful, cheaper, and has better controls than any tablet on the market.
>>
>>381799065
I'm almost positive that no PS4 games are below 900p at the lowest
>>
>>381777485

oh Nintendo moneyhatting indies is back but when Sony does it it's GLORIOUS SONY GIVING INDIE DEVS A CHANCE! And don't get me starting on the conspiracy theories on Monster Hunter recently. The thread is right down the road on that.
>>
>>381799071
Killzone and infamous at launch were infamous for not having their actual advertised resolutions. Bloodborne has the issues that every Souls game has on consoles.

If I recall correctly Killzone actually included two black bars at the bottom and top of the screen in order to fudge the resolution.
>>
>>381799013
>Ignoring this post
>>381798603
Sometimes you gotta cheat to win I guess but Ninja Gaiden blows the whole Switch lineup away graphically and it is a better game than anything Nintendo has crapped out in the last five years
>>
>>381799281
>Ninja Gaiden blows the whole Switch lineup away graphically
I owned a PS VITa and Ninja Gaiden.
No it doesn't.
>>
>>381799165
>What tablet have you seen that could EVER run something like Breath of the Wild?
Anything made in the last five years. Breath of the Wild looks like fucking garbage
>>
>>381799269
I'm not asking about 900p to 1080p upscales, Nintendokid. Give me examples of 544p games on PS4.
>>
>>381798603
>Those environments
It's like a source game from the early 2000s
>>
>>381780054

>image

Did DD out himself?
>>
>>381799269
Both of those were 900p you tard
>>
>>381799379
Put it side by side with anything on your fag-tablet and NG Vita will buttfuck it
>>
>>381799415
>no evidence
As expected.
>>
>>381798603
How delusional does one have to be to post shit like this? Please be a falseflag.
>>
>>381798879
>GPD

lol
>>
>>381798912
retard
>>
>>381772206

Nintendo purposely limits their products to create scarcity to stimulate demand.
>>
I wonder if perception plays a large part in how well a console does, I remember most people thinking the wii u was a joke from the beginning, and that the xbox one was bad when it was first announced (it was, but even after making the changes it suffered).

The switch to me seems like it'll be successful, it gets praised a ton despite not having much of a library yet.
>>
>>381799534
>>381799537
>>381799673
Cry more Nintendildos, Sony won without even trying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKhlNwxl0SE
>>
>>381799523
You seriously have to be underaged
>>
I wish they'd get rid of the online fee, it's the only thing stopping me from getting one.
>>
>>381798603
Have they even made a vita game in the last 5 years?
>>
>>381799710
Sure they do, Sweetie, sure they do.
>>
>>381799904
Vita has had more game released in the past two years than the 3DS has because Nintendo is a steaming pile of shit with ignorant fans like yourself who wouldn't know any better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWs38csJr54
>>
>>381799281
>one PS2 port is the best that all of the Vita's lifetime can offer
Thanks for proving me right dumbass. Ninja Gaiden Black is a fucking amazing game and having it portable is awesome but it's one of the incredibly few worthwhile things on Vita, and the Vita is still nowhere near as powerful. BoTW has way better graphics, and even fucking Skyrim blows it out of the water graphically. The Switch already has more worthwhile games than the Vita already got, and has astronomically more already announced because Nintendo is actually fucking supporting it unlike Sony with the Vita.

It's genuinely really sad because in terms of specs and ergonomics, the Vita was and is the GOAT console (Switch is way stronger but Vita is genuinely portable) but Sony totally gave up on it right out of the gate. I used to own one and I wanted to love it but the games never came, literally all it ever got used for was ports and indie shit that can run on anything. If you seriously think that fucking Ninja Gaiden Black has better graphics than anything coming to the Switch you're mentally unstable.
>>
>>381799281
In the video you posted, the guy talks at length about how the movement feels like shit and is "clunky" and "feels like you're using a D-pad"
>>
>>381800050
>th-they still make v-vita games!
>more games than 3ds in last 2 years!~
>Look at this youtube link!

The video is from 4 years ago. Can't even find ONE example of a game made in the last 2 years, nevermind any proof of their being more made for Vita than 3DS
>>
>>381799710
Not with the Switch, it's a component shortage caused by Apple. Nintendo would be severely retarded to intentionally limit availability THIS much when there's such a high demand, all it can cause is people losing interesting. It's fucking impossible to find a Switch in the US, I haven't seen one in stores since the day they came out and I live in fucking Maine.
>>
>>381799837
>>381800050
The system's specs just aren't on par with the Switch. How delusional are you exactly?
>>
File: 2p9u1m.jpg (111KB, 1024x517px) Image search: [Google]
2p9u1m.jpg
111KB, 1024x517px
>>381799430
Would a kid play a game with the word a** in it?
Stay mad Sonbaby.
>>
>>381800108
>PS2 port
PS3, dumbass.

>The Switch already has more worthwhile games than the Vita already got
lel no
>>
>>381800050
>virtua tennis 4
>ninja gaiden ps2 port
top kek meanwhile 3DS is still getting another Pokemon and a fucking 2D Metroid.
>>
File: 1495683625964.jpg (16KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1495683625964.jpg
16KB, 239x239px
>>381784508
Lmfao, any time N64 graphics get brought up, there's always that one delusional Sony pony that tries to pretend the N64 didn't look better. Nothing on PS1 or Saturn looks even close to as good as games like Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark or even SM64. The N64 was a fucking graphical beast for its time.
>>
>>381800259
How is Maine, is it nice?
>>
>>381771721
We have reached a point where more power is just a nice bell and whistle. Breath of the Wild has one of the most interactive open worlds ever made and an extremely impressive physics system- while most games on 'next' gen use shitty ass physics and only cover the bare minimum for interactivity, because instead developing for 4k and a shit ton of polygons is more important than making a fun video game.
>>
>>381800358
>It was ported to the PS3 from PS2 so it must be a PS3 port!
>>
File: 1496439704238.png (30KB, 710x577px) Image search: [Google]
1496439704238.png
30KB, 710x577px
>>381800362
>Pokemon
>a 2D Metroid that won't be as good as AM2R
>>
>>381800362
And the 2D metroid game isn't a port with upgrade graphics and extras?
>>
>>381799415
>recent video of a cawwadoody game on ipad
https://youtu.be/vt-P0zO0HpM?t=3m18s
So this is the power of the fabled iPad........ Dam..... Rip nintendo, how can they compete with this $649 tablet???????
>>
>>381800523
It's alright, pretty cozy generally but the snow can be fucking miserable in the winter. Portland's a nice city but everywhere else is extremely rural, which I like but a lot of people hate.
>>
>>381797261

>The Dreamcast was part of the 6th gen

then how come you can discuss Dreamcast on /vr/ when the rules say "gen 6 and up can fuck off to /v/? yes I know about the MUH 5.5 shit
>>
>>381800563
Sigma is not Black. And it was originally an Xbox game.

Wouldn't expect a Nintenbro to know that, though.
>>
>>381800605
>a complete remake from the ground up with added and remixed content is a port
wow lad
>>
>>381800605
It is not a port by definition, dipshit. Its a remake of an old game, but its not a port. They're not porting the original Gameboy version to 3DS, which is already there, they're remaking the game entirely.
>>
>>381771721

>Arms runs on a locked 60 FPS even with four players in online mode

explain that. no seriously explain that shit
>>
>>381775508
Oh the irony.
>>
>>381800947
b-but vita has PS2 games! ha!
>>
Even the N64 gives the Vita a run for its money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4yR1ebPKFM

Have fun finding a Vita game that looks better than that Sonybros.
>>
>>381800751
Exception to an otherwise sound rule. DC released in 1999.
>>
>>381800605
A port is the same game on a different system. A remake is the same concept and basic design, but rebuilt from the ground up. Ports don't have "upgraded graphics and extras."
>>
File: soul-sacrifice-07.jpg (179KB, 1280x725px) Image search: [Google]
soul-sacrifice-07.jpg
179KB, 1280x725px
>>381801074
Vitafag is delusional but so are you, almost any Vita game looks way better than that.
>>
>>381788123
Good thing there aren't any other games released or planned for the switch other than the one game that supports your argument. Otherwise you'd look like a real fool.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHDezyb6vhk

Don't mind me, just a launch title here that looks better than Breath of the Wild
>>
>>381798243
>>381798357
Agreed. Honestly I think the runaway success of the original Wii was part of the problem for the Wii U. The Wii was so distinct and unexpected. It really got people talking. The Wii U didn't make as much buzz. If there was never a Wii it would have been just ok but with the Wii's reputation preceding it, the Wii U seemed lackluster.
>>
>>381800347
Not him but that's not in the game though
>>
File: 1485069536792.png (453KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1485069536792.png
453KB, 1000x1414px
>Devs cry and scream for higher console specs
>Get it
>All they make is MUH REALISM games that look nothing like their reveal trailers.
>Grass and environments clip through the character
>No environmental damage

What's the point? I'll take Nintendo's lower spec consoles with hyper stylized games than MUH REALISM and false advertising.
>>
>>381801612
Trailer is all CGI, no gameplay. Still looks worse than BotW.
>>
File: 1495819774656.png (403KB, 551x529px) Image search: [Google]
1495819774656.png
403KB, 551x529px
>>381784254
there's no way you're that dumb. look at the chips side by side, the x2 is barely 1mm wider. that's 1% performance at best
>>
>>381801803
>Nintendo's lower spec consoles with hyper stylized games
BotW is completely fucking washed out. It isn't some fucking pastel art show affair, the thing just looks like shit and has trash art direction placed in the constraints of a trash system
>>
File: botw1.jpg (3MB, 3600x2024px) Image search: [Google]
botw1.jpg
3MB, 3600x2024px
>>381802034
>implying
>>
>>381802138
>proving my point
That looks like fucking trash
>>
>tfw can't find a switch for retail pricing but need one before splatoon 2 comes out
help
>>
>>381802297
You have shit taste.
>>
>>381802376
I can't imagine how much cock it sucks to be brainwashed by the Nintenjew
>>
>>381802034

And it still wows me more than false advertising 4k 1080p circlejerk games.
>>
>>381802492
I'm sorry that guy doesn't like brown and bloom.
>>
>>381802492
Compelling, really.
>>
>>381802528
Sorry, I sometimes forget that this is the contrarian faggot board. Trying to talk reason to you guys is useless but I will leave with this proven as fact:
Vita is stronger that Switch
>>
>>381801642
Also it's worth mentioning that they were pwning the handheld market with the 3ds at the same time so that generation wasn't a complete disaster for them. I think they took it as a learning experience and instead of scrapping the wii u's ideas entirely, they pushed them further and made the switch. Switch is like the Wii U's hardware concept with the Wii's charm.
>>
>>381802731
0 proof
>>
>>381802731
>Vita is stronger that Switch
Vita is also DED
>>
>>381802023
lithography difference allowing over 50% higher clocks
>>
>>381772089
Don't forget the Xbox One X.
>>
>>381802023
power of 16nm finfet, BITCH
>>
>>381802731
>Tegra X1 vs ARM Cortex-A9 + PowerVR SGX543MP4+
You are delusional.
>>
>>381797118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VeamZYf0d4 Considering this was possible on 3DS and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28E1eRy73l4 was possible on Wii U, well optimized development can do a lot on Switch.
>>
>>381800363
SM64 looks fucking awful, don't pull that shit.
>>
Yeah anyone who says the switch should of used Qualcomm chips is absurd. Every phone Oem uses these chips and Nintendo would of been in a worse situation trying to obtain these chips than the nand issue they are having now.

Also Qualcomm only gives 2 years support for their processors until they drop them completely. It's the reason that almost every Android phone only have including Google pixel only have two year guranteed software upgrade support.

The last Qualcomm deal is probably 3x 4xs more expensive than Nvidia was offering it makes no sense business wise unless your someone like Samsung to use their chips.
>>
>>381794762
>When the best downloadable game is an amazing game, you've got a problem
??
>>
File: 1495985602580.jpg (38KB, 577x553px) Image search: [Google]
1495985602580.jpg
38KB, 577x553px
>>381803760
>SM64 looks fucking awful, don't pull that shit.
Anon, I fully believe you aren't retarded enough to actually believe what you just said.

SM64 was a great looking game for its time, especially given that it was a fucking launch title for one of the first mainstream 3D consoles. The cartoonish style has also held up much better than most 3D PS1 games, and there is no platformer on any other 5th gen system that looks half as good.
>>
>>381805184
It looks worse than the vast majority of Nintendo's other titles for the system. Even fucking Crash looked better.

SM64's environments were certain of a decent scope, but the texture choices are total fucking ass, the team clearly didn't know how to go about creating a decent art style because they were new with 3D and aimlessly threw shit at the wall. It's an incredible achievement that the game plays as well as it does for such an early attempt at the 3D platformer, but defending its visuals is laughable.
>>
File: 225687_detail.jpg (28KB, 691x378px) Image search: [Google]
225687_detail.jpg
28KB, 691x378px
>>381771721
Can I just state, for the record, how much I love those yellow joycons? Talk about a risky color choice, but somehow it just works.
>>
>>381805763

Bringing back colored controllers is the Nintendo's greatest decision. The different colored wiimotes looked amazing.
>>
>>381805763
One thing I really don't like about them is that they look greenish with all the screenshots. Like those felt tip markers used to mark reference books. Other than that it looks nice.
>>
>>381771721
Because this is proof that the Wii U had a great library that wasn't advertised well. At the end of the day, the Switch is a portable Wii U and in today's world where nobody really wants to or is able to sit down in front of a traditional console or gaming PC for long periods of time, the Switch is giving people the best of both worlds.
>>
>>381771721
nintendobabies don't believe in demanding heavy games, only lightweight shit
>>
>>381788123
Dont forget anon
>pay for that tv
>monthly bill to pay for that car
>have to pay monthly bill to pay for electricity to function the device
>pay rent for that house/apartment/room for living in to store these items
>pay for the food so you can live to play the game
At this point, itll cost over $2000 just to get any console or pc. Why even bother living anon. A job? HAHAHA, what a normie thing. Why even live at all if i have money at all?
>>
>>381788123
lol you sound poor
Thread posts: 393
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.