[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People actually enjoy hack and slash RPG games How? All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13

File: 1498264235208.gif (4MB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
1498264235208.gif
4MB, 204x204px
>People actually enjoy hack and slash RPG games

How?

All you do is walk around and click on shit. It doesn't require good reflexes. It doesn't test your mental ability. Hell, it doesn't even fucking feel GOOD to click on shit. It's just boring. You walk from area to area, clicking on the same enemies until they die in a DPS race, you can't avoid their attacks 99% of the game and basically just need to chug potions to keep going, and then you level up and do it all again in a later part of the game. Your character may improve, but YOU as a player, do not.

There's no skill involved in any of this, just the autistically repetitive act of "managing" your inventory (really just replace shit with stronger shit), which isn't even fun, and you need to do it every 5 minutes because enemies keep dropping stronger gear which doesn't actually change how the game is played at all.

Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight, Borderlands, Warframe, Cookie Clicker...

All these games are the same in that your skill as a player hardly matters. If the enemies are a few levels above you? Too bad! You lose the DPS race! Go grind some more! If they are below you? GG NO RE. All you do is click click click. At least warframe made moving around shooting fun, even if, again, skill didn't actually matter at all.

Randomly finding loot isn't fun. It's just a fucking trick. You're being TRICKED into THINKING it's fun. But it's not fun. At least, not real fun. It's fake fun. Like gambling, except instead of wasting money, you're wasting time, and not even in a fun way, in a boring way. I guess you did waste some money buying the game as well though.

Explain the appeal. How the fuck can anyone enjoy this shit? Why not play an RTS or something instead?

And fuck games like The Binding Of Issac and FTL as well, which largely just rely on luck to be won.
>>
I also hate games where levelling is required to stand a chance.

I can't play games like Diablo or Disgaea, because while playing, I always get to a point where I know for a fact that I am playing well and making the right choices in combat, but because I didn't kill some arbitrary amount of monsters to make the numbers next to my stats bigger, I'm not allowed to progress.

I just don't see the appeal of a system like this. If you want to make a game where a character gets stronger constantly, why not do what most games like that do, and slowly introduce new abilities, or powerups at key points in the story? That way, you can tailor the game to always be fair, instead of either being hard to the point of being impossible, or easy to the point of having no risk of death, merely because of the numbers next to your characters stats.

The gameplay in these games isn't skill based in the slightest because of this. It's entirely focused around how much you played, and not how well you played. I think it's silly.

At least in Dark Souls you can beat the game just fine at level 1, because skill actually matters.
>>
That said, the entire idea of levelling to begin with seems retarded to me. I get it in multiplayer focused games like Killing Floor, to show high/low experience players, but why does it have to exist in so many single player games? Why purposely restrict the player from abilities and shit for most of the game? To ease them into it? What a joke.

Same with many turn based games.

>LEVEL UP
>+ 5% HP
>+ 5% ATK POWER
>OH WAIT ENEMIES GOT 5% STRONGER AS WELL SO NOTHING CHANGED EXCEPT NUMBERS
>Repeat x 200

STALKER got it right. No levelling, just more powerful equipment, but even the earliest guns can still kill late game enemies if you are good enough, and even have some benefits over later game guns at times.
>>
>>381770969
Some people just like the feeling of progression, they like to see their numbers get bigger.
>>
it's about designing builds. combining various abilities/buffs/stats in cool and usual ways to great effect. figuring out what the designer intended as the "typical, balanced" path and outsmarting that.

>but i dont like thing
that's great, thanks for sharing
>>
>>381770969
>You're being tricked into thinking it's fun
That's pretty much every game ever, but I do agree hack n slash is probably the most depressing genre once you realize what it is you're actually doing. Doesn't help that most of them have awful stories and barely any roleplaying whatsoever.
>>
>Stop liking what I don't like: the thread

OP is literally autistic.
Into the >>>/trash/
>>
You're right OP, we apologize. We were just pretending to enjoy them to annoy you, obviously there's no legitimate, justifiable appeal to hack and slash.

>You're being TRICKED into THINKING it's fun

Goddamn it, I knew it. I hate having fun unless it's puritan, sincere fun. I hate being bamboozled into enjoying myself.

How can a motherfucker be as arrogant as you, OP? How do you function in a social setting?
>>
Hahahhaha holy shit. What am I even reading? Hahahhah.
>>
>>381772134
Explain it to me then. Counter my point. Show me I am wrong as a motherfucker.
>>
>>381770969
>Like gambling, except instead of wasting money, you're wasting time
I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question OP
I'm agree they take barely any skill, but then again same could be said for many forms of gambling. As long as people like gambling, there will be vidya imitating gambling.
>>
File: 1498258050023.png (464KB, 481x518px) Image search: [Google]
1498258050023.png
464KB, 481x518px
Lmao OP
>>
>>381772421

See, I don't have to take any time out of my day to counter shit. This is what arrogance and spending too much time on /v/ has done to you.
I enjoy hack and slash games. I think they're fun and satisfying as shit. It's not a matter of arguments, or rational reasoning. I didn't arrive at a conclusion by the end of a massive Excel-document that, yes, indeed, I do think I enjoy these video games. I think they're fun, and your """""""rational""""""" arguments to the contrary isn't going to change that, ever.

And thank god that they won't, because then no one would enjoy anything ever. If you're too full of yourself to realize and accept that people enjoy things that you do not, then you're just an arrogant prick.
>>
File: 1492679577469.png (539KB, 734x830px) Image search: [Google]
1492679577469.png
539KB, 734x830px
Imagine finding it this hard to understand that people like different things. Yeah your essay on how simple the mechanics are is mostly correct, but people still enjoy it anyway. There are people who have dozens of alts on WoW and just do the same thing over and over on a different character until they're all BiS. Some people just enjoy progression, grinding, and seeing the numbers get bigger. Not every game has to be about how skilled you are or how complex the game mechanics are. I'm sure there are some games that you enjoy that would make me thing "how can anybody enjoy this?" but the fact of the matter is, people do. Everyone enjoys different things and if you can't wrap your head around that then I'm afraid you are literally autistic and I don't mean that as an insult.
>>
>>381770969
>>381771157
>>381771224

Damn, those are some innovative ideas. You should become a game dev.

I honestly can't counter any of your points.
>>
>>381772779
then why even have any discussion about anything ever? All knowledge is ultimately unprovable. Man, solipsism is great.
>>
File: 1312314083424.jpg (9KB, 190x190px) Image search: [Google]
1312314083424.jpg
9KB, 190x190px
OP's little autistic brain LITERALLY can not grasp the concept of people liking different things
>>
File: consider.png (362KB, 662x450px) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
362KB, 662x450px
>>381773341
>"stop torturing me!"
>"your little autistic brain LITERALLY can not grasp the concept of people liking different things"
>>
>>381773140

Not sure if you're OP, but if you are, you don't get to take that high road.

If you had asked simply "what's the appeal of hack and slash games?", one might be willing to enter into a discussion about hack and slash games. If one writes a fucking novel about how hack and slash games are bullshit and how anyone who enjoys them is an idiot for being DUPED into enjoying them, then you're a fucking autistic child and no counter-arguments would even phase you.

If you want to claim rational high ground and have an argument-counterargument based discussion, you gotta show some rationality yourself and not start off with smacking the other person across the head with a book you wrote about how some people are fun-cucks for liking something. This is all standard /v/ rhetoric, but it still makes OP an arrogant child.
>>
>>381773535
>comparing torture to liking different games
Literally autistic
>>
>>381773914
>OP's little autistic brain LITERALLY can not grasp the concept of people liking different things
>THINGS
you're the one who took this higher desu
>>
>>381770969
So you don't understand the concepts of strategy and planning. I think you might be mentally challenged OP, like legit.
>>
>>381774109
>strategy and planning
what's your strategy when the game goes "you're underleved"
>>
Holy shit OP. I am actually autistic (high-functioning) and even I think you're a massive fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1450649904989.jpg (25KB, 411x387px) Image search: [Google]
1450649904989.jpg
25KB, 411x387px
>>381774084
>>
>>381770969
people enjoy turn based rpg
really make you think
>>
File: 1497301886244.png (58KB, 452x541px) Image search: [Google]
1497301886244.png
58KB, 452x541px
>>381774084
>>
>>381774308
Clearly whatever strategy you planned failed. Listen man, some games are badly designed and you will HAVE to grind. I like RPGs, I like strategy games and rarely have I ever had to grind in the 100s of RPGs I've played. In my experience people blame needing to grind for their own lack of skill.

So back to your question the answer is fuck off moron. I can't give you a broad answer that applies to every game nor am I going to make a broad defense (or attack as you did) on an entire genre because that is unintelligent. There are absolutely bad RPGs. I have no doubt about that but anyone who needs to grind to beat Diablo 2 is shit.
>>
>>381770969
played diablo 3 recently and it was the most mindnumbingly boring gaming experience I've ever had. I don't get the appeal either.
>>
>>381774084
Not him but you should take your meds buddy
>>
>>381774308
play a better game. good RPGs like SMT and Kingdom Hearts support underleveled runs because those games are about player skill
>>
>>381774308
i would wonder to myself why i went into the high level zone when i'm not high level yet, and go to the correct zone instead
>>
File: 1487073516349.png (214KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
1487073516349.png
214KB, 605x605px
>>381774084
What did he mean by this?
No really what the fuck are you trying to say
>>
File: c4a.jpg (23KB, 600x484px) Image search: [Google]
c4a.jpg
23KB, 600x484px
what games are better than hack and slash? i'd like to know so i'm not a dummy. minecraft, pokemon go, and pubg seem pretty good.
>>
>>381775164
nothing wrong with hack n slash as long as it's something like mgr. games like diablo where it takes literally no skill and are 100% grind is what we're talking
>>
>>381775328
if it takes no skill, then how come some players are better than others?
>>
>>381774781
it's a suppository, will you help me
>>
>>381775419
they're not. it's all about gaining levels are recognizing which gear is more effective. if you can read and do basic addition you can master diablo
>>
File: 1438159280591.gif (576KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
1438159280591.gif
576KB, 500x306px
>>381773728
Well said anon.
>>
>>381775551
so you're saying that for diablo leaderboards and poe races, everyone is the same?
>>
File: dotdotdot.jpg (12KB, 180x204px) Image search: [Google]
dotdotdot.jpg
12KB, 180x204px
>>381774084
I'm lost for words.
>>
File: Smart.jpg (22KB, 432x245px) Image search: [Google]
Smart.jpg
22KB, 432x245px
>>381772086
Every game indeed.
People having fun in those games won't approve because they think they are too smart to be tricked.
See addiction, competition, gambling, laziness.
In many ways, they are tricked into thinking they are smart, even when you speak about money.
>>
>>381776565
The irony of this post and really whole thread is amazing.

Seriously though OP, what do you have? We can all tell you are not a normal functioning human being. Are you actually autistic or is it something else?
>>
>>381773728
Absolutely and unequivocally BTFO.
>>
>>381773728
op btfo hard. any chance of recovery?
>>
>>381770969
>How?

I can play them with my gf who isn't very good at videogames.
>>
Shut up you fucking nerd I just want to have fun. Get laid
>>
>>381777859
if someone could somehow come up with an argument against it in the form of an mspaint comic i think op could be saved
>>
File: 1348920664856.jpg (55KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1348920664856.jpg
55KB, 256x256px
>OP is a nofunallowed faggot who isn't actually interested in playing games
>>
>>381771224
stalker isnt an RPG though
>>
>>381770969
It's like different people enjoy different kinds of games or something.
>>
What triggers me is that more and more JRPGs include shitty hack and slash combat.

GIVE ME BACK GOOD, DEEP AND CHALLENGING TURN BASED COMBAT SYSTEMS
FUCK
>>
>>381770969
>borderlands is a hack and slash
This fucking faggot
>>
>>381778379
Why not hack n' slash tactical RPGs?
>>
>>381778504
Those don't exist.
>>
>>381770969
you're 100% right. they are completely mindless in action for the most part. people do love the theory crafting and figuring out how to make the most busted shit possible. there is some thinking that goes into that
>>
>>381778472
It isn't in the traditional sense- I would say Borderlands is a loot&shoot game. What OP means is an action adventure RPG lootfest.
>>
>>381778379
Turn based is shit though. Way too many numbers.
>>
>>381770969
>it doesn't even fucking feel GOOD to click on shit
And now I know that you never really clicked on something.
>>
>>381778379
>turn based jrpg
>GOOD, DEEP AND CHALLENGING
are you just pretending to be retarded?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.