[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This game is a near-masterpiece in terms of video game narrative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: John-Marston1.jpg (650KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
John-Marston1.jpg
650KB, 1280x720px
This game is a near-masterpiece in terms of video game narrative excluding some pacing issues in the middle and I can't believe this industry is holding bargain-bin writers like Kojima, who isn't fit to pen the inside of a Hallmark birthday card, in such high regard when Red Dead is the bar that everyone should be reaching for.
>>
>video game narrative
literally nothing and nobody cares about video game plots
Fucking nobody says "Oh man that VIDEO GAME had a great story! I can't wait to experience it again with my friends!"
>>
Hopefully r* doesn't Jew out with RDR2 and turn it into a multiplayer money printer like they did with gtav. RDR will always be be one of my favorite games, but I have pretty low expectations for the sequel
>>
"Don't be too eager to grow up, Jack. It ain't as much fun as it looks."

;_;7
>>
File: its coke.jpg (35KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
its coke.jpg
35KB, 528x960px
>>381723487
>literally nothing and nobody cares about video game plots
>Fucking nobody says "Oh man that VIDEO GAME had a great story! I can't wait to experience it again with my friends!"
I do these things and I'm better than you.

Go back to your chingchong panty girls Re: Omega 0 Women Don't Talk To Me Edition™
>>
>>381723487
Except they do.
>>
>>381723738
why don't you post that shit on Facebook then you fucking mong
>>
>>381723635
>tfw RDR2 is going to be ruined do to its multiplayer focus
>>
>>381723819
>stop posting video games on a video game board
How about you stop breathing first.
>>
>>381723382
>canonical to kill a man for cheating at poker
>medicine show man was probably Satan
>unhappy miserable ending
Unironically the citizen Kane of gaming
>>
>>381723635
Main character will probably be black.
>>
This is the only playstation exclusive that has ever made it hurt not being able to play it. So glad the sequel is coming to PC, but still.
>>
>>381723487
>the last of us
>heavy rain
>life is strange
>Most RPG's
>every walking sim ever
>>
>>381723382
Rockstar has some very underrated writers. Those brothers do some serious work imo
>>
>>381726054
It's not a playstation exclusive, and the sequel isn't coming to pc
>>
>>381726054
>sequel is coming to PC
don't make me post it
>>
>>381726227
What went wrong with GTA V's writing then?

Pandering?
>>
File: 0216 - m9iOY9V.png (142KB, 398x657px) Image search: [Google]
0216 - m9iOY9V.png
142KB, 398x657px
>tfw i still can't replay this on my pc
>>
>>381723382
Gonna be honest dude I played the game and I found it fairly forgettable. It's just a bunch of western tropes tossed together. It's not bad by any means but you're really building it up. MGS2 was an interesting commentary on the internet and society in general. Red dead was some old as fuck western tropes culminating in a tragic ending.

>>381723738
I prefer gameplay and I'm absolutely better than you.
>>
at least hideo kojima puts his vidya on pc.
>>
>>381726364
what do you mean "what went wrong"?
GTA 5 has strong writing as well, it's just a different type of story and humour/satire. GTA has never been 100% serious story telling.
>>
WHERE THE FUCK IS JAVIER ESCUELLA
>>
>>381726364
GTA V is a lowkey master piece highlighting the seedy nature of all aspects of los angeles and man, especially once you dig deep into the lore
>>
>>381726486
PC faggots live in a constant state of rage. Can't say I blame them. I'd be angry to if I had to beg for every game I played
>>
>>381726487
The plot and characters of V are underdeveloped, leading to a rushed an unsatisfying ending.

I'd say giving us three protags was to blame for that.
>>
Is there any news on the multiplayer in Red Dead 2? Will it be separate from the main game?
>>
>>381726696
only franklin is, which is why they gave him the last minute decision.

Obviously lamar's voice actor getting locked up caused them to rush the ending. Since when does a rushed ending mean all of the writing isn't good?

Have you heard all the dialogue on each mission? With every passenger? With every npc you pickup randomly? With submissions? By hanging out? By chance, walking along the street?

You haven't even heard the meat of the game's dialogue and you're trashing it all because of the ending?
>>
>>381726634
>He says, paying for the privilege of using his own internet on his console
>So cucked you don't even get mad anymore at being fucked in the ass by a soulless corporation
Sony fans, not even once.
>>
>>381726696
>I'd say giving us three protags was to blame for that.
well you might not be happy to know that RDR2 is getting 3 protags as well
one of them a female most likely
>>
>>381723382
I'm telling you its absolutely fucking absurd. The only reason that piece of shit is popular is because he spams his name all over his games. So now no one knows of the programmers and level designers that worked hard to make the games great, they know of that ego-obsessed shit stain instead. The ONLY other time I've seen someone else insert their name in the game like Kojima does is with Mother 3 and he had enough humility to insert it once during start up and once in the title screen and leave it at that. Kocksucima even self inserts himself in the games now and spams his name on every single level as of MGSV. Completely shameless
>>
>>381723382
I'll just pitch in and say that RDR is one of the only games I've ever encountered where knowing the ending doesn't diminish its impact because so much of the dialogue in the preceding missions was written to convey a sense of dramatic irony that builds up the sadness far before John's actual death occurs. The game only becomes sadder when played again, and the emotional impact never really goes away. I really like that about RDR.
>>381726696
The characters seem underdeveloped because the storytelling method of GTA V is different from all the other GTAs; the main story is not the complete story behind the characters. You have to play absolutely everything to find that story: main missions, side activities down to the most mundane, Strangers missions, all hangouts with all friends at multiple points in the storyline, both sober and drunken (up to an hour of dialogue is missable if you don't), and combat and idle dialogue. Basically, you have to have some degree of autism to find out everything.
>>
>>381726931
I don't pay to play online, actually. I have a PC as well. I'm pissed off RDR2 will be multiplayer focused, but I'm not some mentally underdeveloped baby that cries when a game doesn't get released on PC
>>
>>381727253
>RDR2 will be multiplayer focused
what
>>
>>381727368
Thought I read that it was. Multiplayer is going to play a much larger part than it did in the first, at least
>>
>>381726926
What happened with Lamar?
>>
>>381727368
After GTA online was such a huge success, there is no earthly way RDR2 won't be a microtransaction-riddled mess. We'll be lucky if it isn't in the single player too
>>
>>381726054
You can play it on PC if you have playstation now.
>>
>>381723382
Red Dead Redemption was okay.

If you want a truly great video game story, see Knights of the Old Republic.
>>
>>381723382
It's good, and I love the build-up to the assault on Fort Mercer, but I wish the missions had a better feel for the preparation of the assault. Your first mission with Irish he just sends you on a wild goose chase to an empty cabin. Almost all of your missions with Nigel West Dickens involve racing or swindling for money so he can make vague improvements to his carriage. I knew right from the start Seth wasn't going to find any real treasure. So almost all of those missions feel like bullshit favors and fetch quests for complete scumbags.
>>
what're some other games with good writing?
>>
File: confused black man.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
confused black man.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>381726550
>GTA lore
>>
>>381728005
I hope you at least mean KotOR2, but that wouldn't make much sense because KotOR2's story isn't anything amazing, otherwise that's the shittiest bait I've literally ever seen..
>>
>Try to kill a guy without losing honor to get a house deed
>Using bait to attract coyotes didnt work
>Hogtie and put him in front of the upcoming train
>Train literally takes him away and got no deed

Welp
>>
>>381728005
I hope you mean KOTOR 2.

KOTOR 1's plot was an uninspired retread of the OT that relied heavily on it's twist.
>>
>>381725942
what's wrong with that? It could tell a story of black leader of a wild west gang or something, that could be an interesting perspective
>>
>>381728263
Nice overreaction.
>>
>>381728268
I hogtied him, took him to Armadillo then cut him loose and still got accused of murder by the quest giver.
>>
>>381728363
It's no overreaction though, KotOR1's storyline is bad and the most generic shit I've ever witnessed. The twist is also telegraphed to hell and back, you'd have to be retarded or a literal 8 year old to not get all the fucking hints they give you.
>>
>>381728469
Hell, the first time you visit the enclave on Dantooine all the council screams "hehe you're totally not raven *wink* *wink* i hope you dont fall for the dark side this time though *wink* *wink*"
>>
>>381728347
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qyPhsFxnc_c
>>
>>381728104
In order to avoid unnecessary shitflinging, I'd say that there's going to be at least one GTA out there which you'll think has good writing, and whether that GTA is in the 3D or the HD universe will be up to you. Personally I prefer the HD universe's writing over the 3D because there's so many little details and stylistic choices in the dialogue and voice acting for those games that really enrich the character interactions, show the subtlety in characters' developments, and establish thematic parallels between characters. But again, that's just my opinion.
>>381728220
Yes, GTA lore exists, and is actually pretty in-depth; Liberty City has its very own creation story that delves back to when America was first created, and the history even covers why certain boroughs have their names. Of course, this is done in a satirical, tongue-in-cheek style, but it's there.
>>
File: hh4.jpg (957KB, 620x914px) Image search: [Google]
hh4.jpg
957KB, 620x914px
>>381728104

GTA 4 is written like an awesome Ellroy/ Don Winslow crime epic. It's bloody fantastic
>>
>>381728729
Not him, but where is this lore found? It's always seemed to me that the cities were just replicas of real life ones with no real thought put into them.
>>
>>381728436
I was trying to kill the quest giver to get the deed back, not the guy that had it originally.
>>
>>381723382
It had really fucking good writing in the cutscenes but I always felt that the disconnect between gameplay and cutscenes is just a bit too big for the kind of story it's trying to tell. You have this guy trying to find redemption and save his family... yet he can spend as much time as he wants riding around the west and shooting random innocents. Which is fun but doesn't really fit with the plot.
>>
>>381723635
I honestly can't imagine how they could have the same setup as GTA Online with the Wild West setting. Its not like they can keep adding in an unending stream of ridiculous shit for people to grind for like they can with GTA V. What could they possible have in RDR2? A billion different horse breeds?
>>
>>381729089
In general, it's just found around the world, from stuff in the background like what's on bookshelves, to testimonies from characters, to the radio stations and TV shows. Here's the documentary I was talking about in that post, it's called "A History of Liberty City," and I'd say it's my favorite TV show from GTA IV and its Episodes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmrCDUiawdU
>>
720p
>>
>>381729267
Oh. Why not just shoot him? It's only -25 honor and you can get that back easy.
>>
>>381729281
THey try to bridge it a bit by having him turn down hookers and chastise himself for shooting dogs and horses, but yeah the disconnect is pretty goddamn big.
>>
>>381723635
I just hope they don't do a triple protag story. I just want to play as John Marston is all.
>>
>>381729436
Is possible to farm honor? I want that bar filled all the way to the right.
>>
RDR was fucking boring to me, and I fucking love Westerns like High Plains Drifter and Rio Bravo. The world was fucking empty, there wasn't a lot of side shit to do outside of bounty hunting, fetch quests and the occasional side shit like the old motion picture theater.
Open world Westerners don't really work, they need narrative focus to work best and RDR screwed up with that.
>>
>>381730131
Yeah. Get caught cheating at poker, they'll challenge you to a duel. Shoot them in the arm to disarm instead of kill.+100 honor every time.
>>
>>381730375
Excellent. Have not even played poker yet, there is just so much stuff to do and keep track of.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.