[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is difficulty, /v/? I mean if you really think about it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: Freud.jpg (34KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
Freud.jpg
34KB, 650x366px
What is difficulty, /v/? I mean if you really think about it.

Is it merely the experience you have of the effects of difficulty while playing? Is it just the perceptible phenomena, of itself?

No. It's more than that. It's an abstract system that exists, fundamentally, outside of time and (virtual) space.

Now, is that the critical element of difficulty? No, the phenomena is. But does that mean the phenomena is also the definitive part of it? No, the underlying system is.
>>
Tell me about your mother and why you use Reddit spacing.
>>
>>381661296
Coincidence.

I don't go there.

I write a lot.
>>
>No. It's more than that.
Forgot to insert an argument you old fart
>>
File: 23895792.jpg (75KB, 624x348px) Image search: [Google]
23895792.jpg
75KB, 624x348px
>>381661152
I'm a simple man and what you posted doesn't sound like nonsense but it sure feels like it. Difficulty is how hard I find something, simple as that.
>>
Freud was a fraud who came to his conclusion by taking drugs and thinking "I want to fuck my mother, I am not a weirdo, therefore everyone want to fuck their mother too".
>>
>>381661152
>No. It's more than that. It's an abstract system that exists, fundamentally, outside of time and (virtual) space.
Does it though
Difficulty is inherently connected to experience. You cannot claim that something is objectively difficult, because there is no universial baseline difficulty to compare it to- it can only be subjective, artificially defined. There is only the perceived difficulty for a person, a human bean
>>
>>381661152
Difficulty is the tightness of an ass i just abducted from a twink bar,
>>
This thread is a perfect example of why most of psychology is 100% bullshit.
>>
>>381662213
But this is philosophy
>>
>>381662512
Then why is there an image of Freud in the OP?
>>
I like you guys. Stick around a bit. I'm making breakfast now. I will be back shortly.
>>
>>381662546
Because OP didn't know any better
>>
>>381661860
There is a truth to it, though. It's just far less direct than he claims. We find parental figures appealing instinctively for obvious reasons, and what we learn of parental figures comes directly from our experiences with them. So he just applied a sort of correlation to his logic that isn't particularly true because our experiences aren't limited to our own parents.
Then there's elements of truth in the fact that some people do end up with people like their parents because of the traits they have, traits which they're already really comfortable with because they grew up experiencing them.
>>
>>381661152
Difficulty is relative in the same way an Olympian gymnast would be horribly overmatched in a foot race with an Olympian sprinter.
>>
File: 1496520629150.jpg (156KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
1496520629150.jpg
156KB, 500x477px
>>381662546
Because he wants us to post milfs
>>
>>381661296
What the hell is reddit spacing?
>>
>>381661152
Difficulty is an obstacle to learning, or applying what you've learned. It's a physical obstruction, and/or a psychological one.
You can climb a ladder fairly easily, I would assume. But if I tie your legs together, suddenly it's not as easy. And if the ladder is on TES or Fallout, you aren't climbing it at all.
>>
>>381661152
when i can't beat a thing in a video game it's hard
>>
>>381663452
It's not hard, you just suck
>>
>>381663256
breasts too big
>>
>>381663516
But what if you can't beat it anon?
>>
>>381663618
Then he sucks too
>>
>>381663618
Well maybe I just suck too didn't think about that huh
>>
>>381663372
Lurk moar
>>
>>381663372
A meme for newfags that want to fit in. There's no lurking any more, so all they know is that 4chan hates reddit, so they do everything they can to showcase their knowledge of this fact.
>>
File: pi3.png (467KB, 547x808px) Image search: [Google]
pi3.png
467KB, 547x808px
>>381663585
Fag
>>
>>381661384
So you are just full of shit.
You know you can satisfy your penis envy if you just go back.
>>
>>381661829
But is there such a thing as 'real' vs. 'fake' difficulty? For example, look at a game that's nothing but a hallway with a million doors. One door is randomly selected so that you win when you go through it. This is clearly the hardest game ever because only one out of a million plays beats it.

But that obviously won't 'feel' difficult, so there has to be more to it than that.
>>
File: 22.jpg (87KB, 514x445px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
87KB, 514x445px
>>381665094
>But is there such a thing as 'real' vs. 'fake' difficulty?
The only difference is whether or not I like the difficulty. Nice try, but my simple logic is to simple for your complex reasoning to beat.
>>
>>381665094
That's not difficulty, its just low probability. Difficulty implies some level of control and skill.
>>
>>381665375
>Difficulty implies some level of control and skill.
Do you have any evidence of this?

I'd argue it is difficulty. Albeit very mundane difficulty. Challenging, but passively.
>>
>>381664910
this
anyone who's not a fucking mong shouldn't care what websites(along with videogame systems and the videogames themselves) anyone else visits or uses. It has 0 effect on others and is just edgy tweens trying to fit in on a website where you are ANONYMOUS. Wrap your heads around that.
>>
>>381665094
There are certainly different kinds of difficulty. What you name them is... not the point. How you classify them, and what you classify them as, and how you reach those decisions are what matters. The name of the classification isn't... it's arbitrary, moreso than the difficulty it. It's usefulness consists in how effectively it enables you to catalog your research.

That said, I firmly believe there is such a thing as true difficulty.
>>
>>381665525
What does it challenge? If there's no thought process behind it, no skill then the only thing it challenges is how much you value your time. Failure in this case is of no fault of the player.
>>
>>381665375
Ah, now we've got a discussion going. Where's the line on that? Take a game with a blind corner. The camera controls in such a way that you can't see around it before you actually move around it, but the second that you do move around it, an enemy jumps out and one shots you. Does that make that segment hard because it's effectively impossible to beat the first time you play it?

And where do bullet hell games fall? Does rote memorization count as skill and control? If yes, wouldn't that make Simon one of the hardest games of all time?
>>
File: Jung.jpg (371KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Jung.jpg
371KB, 2000x1000px
>>381663452
>>381663516
>>381663585
>>381663618
>>381663662
>>381663697
Serious.

Discourse.

>/v/
>>
>>381665747
If you can improve then it's a skill. You can't improve at a random game like in your example, so there's no skill involved. If there's no skill you can't really call it difficulty without using the most technical definition. Bullet hell games aren't rote memo btw, that's a meme created by people who don't play them.
>>
>>381665747
>Does that make that segment hard because it's effectively impossible to beat the first time you play it?
In some sense. It's hard to quantify how objectively it does so. All difficulty is partly objective and subjective.

One thing I can say from discussing 2D Sonic and racing games, that type of crap - the situation you described - sure makes people assmad.
>>
>>381666037
>If there's no skill you can't really call it difficulty without using the most technical definition.
What's wrong with that though?

All difficulty necessarily has skill floors and ceilings built into it. In the million door scenario, I view the difficulty primarily as a test of sheer willpower, persistence. There is skill in doing that, doing something repetitive like opening door after door. It's insanity, really.

Difficulty comes in many different forms. It's very creative.

Now if you want to argue one form is desirable to another, that's another subject.
>>
>>381666416
That's not skill at the game though as much as it's a general skill to keep doing something incredibly boring. No matter how persistent you are, you will never get better or worse at the game because it's devoid of skill.
>>
>>381663387
Nice. I agree, difficulty is itself an obstacle. And it consists entirely within the context of other obstacles. The slippery minx.
>>
>>381661152
Because you don't really like it(disgust), it has a strong smell, makes you sick and doing it in isn't popular(rare), it's difficult to eat shit. (excluding dementia and/or feeding your enemy)
So I guess difficulty isn't a matter of taste -not really subjective. You get strong stimuli from it -you can't deny it's difficult- and it's may be some kind of scale reflecting completion, the less achieved the more difficult.
>>
>>381665375
What is low probability, you lacking the control and skill to not get caught into a fire while you are playing?
>>
>>381663372
A term for spacing out every 1-3 lines into another paragraph, even though this practice has been in effect ages before Reddit existed.
>>
>>381663516
It's hard to the person that sucks.
>>
>>381668141
Why did it suddenly become reddit spacing?
>>
File: pleasegoback.jpg (12KB, 277x300px) Image search: [Google]
pleasegoback.jpg
12KB, 277x300px
>>381668141
No, that is you trying to justify a shit practice popularized by Reddit.
If you want to play us with "typographic rules" then why are you using that >> quoting, moron.
>>
>>381669251
You're either trying to be a funny memer or you're a newfag.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.