[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>closed source, proprietary software >injects DRM into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 1446478267316[1].jpg (21KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
1446478267316[1].jpg
21KB, 620x348px
>closed source, proprietary software
>injects DRM into all your games
>tracks your internet history to make sure you don't hack
>wordfilters links they don't like in their chats
>Valve takes a huge cut on all games that benefit them more than the developers
>games are all digital that you can't back up, so byebye games if something happens to your account
>the community is garbage and greenlight was one of the worst things to happen to Steam, enjoy your influx of indie shovelware
>monitors every second you play, saves all your game files to the cloud
>GabeN would rather nickle and dime you off Team Fortress 2 hats than put effort into making any new or good products
>lack of actual quality games, and lack of Japanese games since Japan isn't really into the PC gaming scene, most Japanese ports are trash as well

If I had told you ten years ago that you would support facebook software that enforces a lock-in, is adware, spyware, and gets you to buy terrible games you never really play then you would say I'm nuts, I'm crazy, there's no way you would do that. Yet that is what you are doing now.
>>
>>381652720
It's pretty vicious, yeah. The demography is immature enough to eat it up though.
>>
File: 1467001691507[1].jpg (213KB, 1737x587px) Image search: [Google]
1467001691507[1].jpg
213KB, 1737x587px
>>381653472
GABE IS BASED DUDE XD HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ;^)

I'D SUCK HIS COCK IF I COULD FIND IT!!!
>>
>>381652720
Not inherently a problem
>>/g/

Which is the sole purpose of the software

Blatantly false

They filter certain TLDs, and specific domains known for scamming

>games are all digital that you can't back up, so byebye games if something happens to your account
That's how DRM works, the purpose of Steam.

>the community is garbage and greenlight was one of the worst things to happen to Steam, enjoy your influx of indie shovelware
Greenlight is gone

This is a feature of SteamWorks that developers choose to include. Blame the devs who use it

>lack of actual quality games, and lack of Japanese games since Japan isn't really into the PC gaming scene, most Japanese ports are trash as well
How is this a fault of Steam/VALVe
>>
>>381653956
>>tracks your internet history to make sure you don't hack
>Blatantly false
except it is true;

http://gizmodo.com/if-you-use-steam-valve-might-be-tracking-every-website-1524340357

>VALVe

did you forget your ™ symbol shill?
>>
>>381652720
it's better than origin or Uplay in it's usability, features, and to some degree the ethics that underlay those features.

cloud concerns are obviously valid, but I'm not sure what alternative there is.
>>
File: 1488682911272 - Copy.png (193KB, 889x681px) Image search: [Google]
1488682911272 - Copy.png
193KB, 889x681px
>>
>>381652720
>>381653472
>>381653590
this is a shill thread. literally, this is what paid shilling looks like. astroturfing, one person/group pretending to be strangers replying with different accounts to create an appearance of a 'common sense' opinion.

this is literally a $0.10 per post paid shill, most likely hired by a chinese-based/owned Steam competitor (eg. Amazon, Apple, or Tencent).
>>
>>381654069
...but that very article makes it explicitly clear that your claim is false.
>>
>>381654147
if you keep gobbling gaybe's billionaire jewish cock maybe you'll get a free csgo skin, goy.
>>
>>381654069
Did you even read the article you linked me?
It's almost agreeing with it. It's just some random fag screaming wolf and several other people saying no, including VALVe.
>>
File: 431.jpg (36KB, 223x349px) Image search: [Google]
431.jpg
36KB, 223x349px
>>381654254
>>
File: 1489292843366.jpg (309KB, 1329x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1489292843366.jpg
309KB, 1329x2048px
>>381652720
I like it though. It replaced my social media ages ago and I keep in contact with my close friends through it.
>>
>>381654147
People just have a hateboner for valve, like a lot of other things on /v/
It would almost be less depressing if people were actually paid to spam the same platform war bait on /v/ rather than just being autistic
>>
File: btfo.png (19KB, 1347x174px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
19KB, 1347x174px
>>381654147
>accounts
>on 4chan

get the fuck off my board redditor faggot.
>>
>>381653590
I really like this image
>>
>>381652720

Valve are pieces of shit. Pieces of shit that have a stranglehold of the PC games industry and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
W H O C A R E S
H
O
C
A
R
E
S
>>
>>381652720
I created a steam account for the sole purpose of redeeming free games. :^)
>>
>>381652720
If I told you 10 years ago that trannies would be normalized in our society you would of laughed in my face.

Just as 10 years form now pedos will be, all it needs is one jenner to turn out to be one and everyone will accept them.
>>
>>381652720
Virtually all video games are closed source as well, being freetarded and playing video games isn't really compatible.

I don't care about it monitoring my game activity because I don't consider that something that needs to be kept private
>>
>>381654529
what a good goy. worship jewish corporations that spy on you and shrug your shoulders. you pathetic low testosterone simpering cuckold.
>>
I get complete access to the games I buy whether or not I'm technically "renting" them (renting for an indefinite amount of time all for a single, one off payment at that). I only ever spend money on games if they have a heavy discount which means I have a large library at a fraction of what I otherwise would have paid full retail price. I don't agree with some of how the service is implemented but on balance when I consider how much money I have saved in the long run to play all these games along with the convenience of the service and ease of access and installation means the positives massively outweigh the negatives. That's why Steam is so successful because it has huge advantages and benefits and listing only the bad points as if you hold some secret knowledge or insight is retarded.
>>
>>381654784
I don't worship them and they don't spy on anything that matters.
>>
>>381652720
Steam is pretty okay DRM. If a company distributed sex bots that confirmed your identity by sampling your semen some of you faggots would brush it off as just DRM.
>>
File: 1496242786949.png (10KB, 754x406px) Image search: [Google]
1496242786949.png
10KB, 754x406px
>>381652720
gasp.
>>
>>381652720
>major proponent of Open Software, organizing and collaborating in major Kronos Group initiatives, releasing tons of their own middleware as liberally-licensed source code
>entire business model is to treat piracy as a service problem, as opposed to directly fighting it with onerous DRM. does not force Steamworks DRM on anyone, plenty of third-party DRM and DRM-free games on Steam.
>LOL LOOK AT THIS CLICKBAIT ARTICLE TITLE THAT ADMITS IT'S BULLSHIT IN THE ACTUAL TEXT
>basic security in their text chat to protect their users from fishing and known scam trade services
I will never defend rent as a general rule, but Valve does offer a lot of developer-targeted services in exchange for their cut. They're certainly not negative outliers, relative to the rest of the industry, as you state.
>permits offline backup and play as a major deliberate feature of their software
>subjective whining about nothing
>whining about a great feature (cloud saves) spun through a paranoid, factually incorrect filter
>whining about factually incorrect nonsense that anyone can check with a google search
>subjective whining about nothing
>>
>>381654398
>proves nothing other than that you're using different accounts
>expects people to not know that 4chan just has invisible IP-tied accounts, and has for several years
>>
>>381655258
>subjective
>subjective
>subjective
I saw this somewhere...
>>
File: Capture.jpg (114KB, 759x888px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
114KB, 759x888px
>>381652720
What are consoles?
as opposed to consoles being literally physical DRM
Made up bullshit.
only for gambling websites
>Valve takes a huge cut on all games that benefit them more than the developers
And still managed to be a better deal for developers than selling on Consoles and especially retail (retail takes around 70% of every sale steam takes 30%)
As opposed to literally indestructible Physical media that lasts forever and companies give you free replacement if you lose it ... Oh wait!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4
You can play offline and you can disable cloud.
>GabeN would rather nickle and dime you off Team Fortress 2 hats than put effort into making any new or good products
I agree about this one thing.
Niga are you living under a rock. We are getting 90% of all Japanese games right now.
>>
>>381655629
Why do retards instantly rush to defend bad practices on the PC by saying "a-at least it's better than consoles!"
Hold yourself to a higher fucking standard you sniveling little shit
>>
>>381655629
>-4%
What a deal. Bless le gaben!
>>
>>381655258
Good job, you can copy paste off a script and edit to fit the conversation at hand! You'll get promoted to supervisor some day, Pajeet!
>>
>>381655776
>>381655776
Name a service that exists that is currently better than steam and acualy sells currently available games then?

You base your standards on what is currently considered a standard.

Everything can literally be better.

But at the current moment Steam is literally the best service for games right now.

I know gog is better but it mostly just sells games so old developers dont even care if you pirate them anymore and an occasional indie title.

Until we start seeing big name games on gog that are not made by the owner of the service its not realy an accurate measurement of a standard.
>>
File: 1498192929376.gif (1MB, 179x179px) Image search: [Google]
1498192929376.gif
1MB, 179x179px
The problem is most people want all their shit in one place. Who would want to manage accounts to 3-4 different websites to access all their games when you can just deal with 1?

That's how Steam got the monopoly. By being first to get big and getting all those people to buy a few games there, those people didn't want to bother with any competitors because "Who wants to deal with multiple accounts?".
>>
>>381656363
>Until we start seeing big name games on gog
Dragon's Dogma just recently got released on GOG. The library is constantly improving.
>>
>>381652720
>almost everyone in this thread owns a smartphone
>almost everyone in this thread uses Windows
>posting on a site that blocks TOR

I'm not saying OP has no point (at least for those statements that aren't blatant lies), but Steam is only a small part of the problem.
>>
Cancer DRM and monopoly. Though its stability and market penetration probably has a positive effect on PC gaming in general. Mostly kids and normaltrash who widely adopted it at first and now we're stuck with it. What we need is some sort of global authority that works against monopolies, kinda like how microsoft was forced to allow people to choose between different web browsers.
>>
>>381654069
>gizmodo
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.