[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>See interesting indie game >Its procedurally generated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1118.jpg (44KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1118.jpg
44KB, 600x420px
>See interesting indie game
>Its procedurally generated roguelike early access
Enough.
Why is thoughtful level design no longer the norm?
>>
File: kaede13c.jpg (231KB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
kaede13c.jpg
231KB, 2560x2048px
>>381651803
>see and interesting game
>get frustrated that other people are bored with it

wow it's like i'm really back in the old days
>>
You answered your own question.

It requires "thought".
>>
The devs have never played good games, or don't remember how they worked and don't want to go back to those games after playing multi million dollar cinematic experiences and having their hands held while someone whispers in their ear that they're a good boy. They literally don't know what thoughtful level design even looks like. People like this aren't qualified to develop games, they only have three options remaining.
1. Make a "progressive" and "deep" walking simulator.
2. Make a skinner box.
3. Make an actual game that's obviously bad.

What better skinner box can one make than one that can potentially last forever? I'm telling you if someone made a good enough singleplayer clone of something like phantasy star portable 2 I just might play it for the rest of my life. Their strategy isn't even incorrect, it's just their execution. I wouldn't be surprised if in most cases these people at first try to make 3, find that the result of their effort sucks, and settle for making 2.
>>
>>381651803
There has to be some thought into making the puzzle pieces required for procedural generation. Just not as much as an entire level.
>>
>>381651803
it's the effortless way out
procedurally generated, so you don't have to make any content, you just let an algorithm do it for you then pass it as "INFINITE CONTENT"
roguelike, so people don't notice how shitty your design is because there's no way to revisit one iteration
early access, so you never have to finish your game and you can make players feel special by saying "BY SUPPORTING US YOU CAN HELP US MAKE THIS GAME BETTER!"
>>
>>381651803
Surprise! Indie devs are just as, if not WORSE than normal devs.
>>
>>381653675
I don't think that's really fair, when done right Arcade Roguelikes are just really addictive and scratch an itch. Nuclear Throne, Spelunky, and Binding of Isaac are fun, the randomness of it leads to a varied difficulty.

Also you have to remember it's a business, and the market shows that these games make cash. The superb traditionally designed Nex Machina will not sell as many copies as those Indie Roguelikes.
>>
>>381651803
Because everyone that tries thoughtful design is either so far up their own ass that they can do no wrong, then drop everything at the slightest hint of criticism. Then there's the ones that try to be original or at the very least better than taking the easy way out, see that it's not working for them due to either hating each other's guts or simply not having enough of an attention span to do well thought out games. Or, and this is the most common thing, they really are just greedy cunts looking to make a quick buck
>>
File: 8790987678.jpg (23KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
8790987678.jpg
23KB, 460x215px
>>381651803
>make great physics, enemy design, theme and sound design, pretty much a perfect gameplay
>only one level thats a flat ground
it works well and im not sure how they could work in more but they haven't even tried as far as i know. at least it was only 5 bucks
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.