[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Multiplayer games 10-15 years ago. >Generally have a medium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1489875584704.jpg (15KB, 532x320px) Image search: [Google]
1489875584704.jpg
15KB, 532x320px
>Multiplayer games 10-15 years ago.
>Generally have a medium skill floor and a very high skill ceiling.
>People play for fun and git gud while doing so.
>Friendly and witty banter throughout the games, but everybody is mostly on good terms.
>Communities around them share strategies and discuss mechanics.

>Multiplayer games now.
>Skill floor basically non-existant, dumbed down to a point where everybody can pick up the game and play. Skill ceiling low enough so nobody can git gud enough to offend other players who put in less effort.
>People play to get to a high rank and take it incredible serious. Extreme freakouts are very common.
>People constantly tell each other to kill themselves or wishing each other cancer.
>Communities are doing nothing but crying about game balance.

What happened?
>>
The world changed
>>
>>381651245
>>Multiplayer games 10-15 years ago.
>>Generally have a medium skill floor and a very high skill ceiling.
nice bait
>>
>>381651245
you're a fag blinded by nostalgia for your favorite games and the communities around them
>>
>>381651245
higher ratio of (nonwhite)children on the internet
>>
>suggesting extreme freakouts over low skill players weren't more common when you had to actually be good to clear content
really makes you think
>>
>>381651369
fuck outta here underage prick
>>
>>381651245
I pretty sure the salt in Broodwar was real dude
>>
>>381651723

Ehh, not THAT much, especially if you moved up the ranks. There was no match-making, so if you acted like too much of a faggot nobody would play with you.
>>
what

dota2 has one of the highest skill ceilings to date. the only games now with relatively low skill ceilings are FPS games like TF2 and Call of Duty.
>>
File: 1311211209574.gif (1MB, 289x227px) Image search: [Google]
1311211209574.gif
1MB, 289x227px
>>381651297
Unfortunately this.

>fpbp
>>
Pretty sure 10 years ago I was telling people to kill themselves in Cod 4
>>
>>381652029
i was that guy who would cry and then have a depersonalized session at school the next day!

kids would be all, "r u ok?"
>>
File: 1497534389901.gif (21KB, 312x253px) Image search: [Google]
1497534389901.gif
21KB, 312x253px
>>381652029
>call of duty 3 was 13 years ago
>>
In the past ordinary "casual" players didn't care about their rank or level. When I played Counter-Strike it was 24/7 Dust or Office with 32 Players. The most popular map in Starcraft 1 was Big Game Hunters where everyone would just spam tanks, you even had maps that had non-attack timers to prevent early game rushes.

Devs wanted more control over how people played the games. Because the large percentage of Game Developers are fucking control freaks who wish their products were treated less like games and more like art. That's why Rockstar just killed GTAV's mod scene. They also want them to play correctly, which is why they fucked up Dedicated Servers.

Combine that with the Streamer generation and you got a bunch of autismos who take their repetitive multiplayer games too seriously.
>>
>>381651829
DOTA has a bullshit skill ceiling. It's not so much based in Player Skill as it is players needing to know a bunch of trivial stats. How ults can Effect shit and items can cancel them out, you only get better by learning a bunch of absurd rules.

I'll admit that Pro-Level is interesting in that these guys have to work together and just drafting heroes can pretty much decide a game, but combine that with Patches that rework everything and DOTA just feels like Calvinball.
>>
>>381651638
it doesn't make him wrong

your game is likely shit and was just as bad back then
>>
>>381651245
>Friendly and witty banter throughout the games, but everybody is mostly on good terms.

Yeah, people are more polite when they have to be in the same room as each other, imagine that.
>>
>>381651245
Esport meme happens. It's because people have been convinced that they can achieve *something* by playing multiplayer games and that their virtual points and ranks mean anything. It used to be just about fun. And it still should, because let's face it, none of this flaming shitters will ever get to a serious tournament or something, but somehow they believe it's about anything other than that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.