[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's suppose one is in the early process of game design.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Let's suppose one is in the early process of game design. This game is going to have a few RPG elements to it, so my question is: would a character's reflexes make more sense influenced by speed, or agility attributes?
>>
>>381615920
Wouldn't your reflexes be more dependent on mental faculties? Your reflexes, at their core is your brain responding to stimuli.
>>
>influenced by speed, or agility

Those are the same thing, OP.
Do you mean speed vs dexterity?
>>
why should your game have "RPG elements" at all?
>>
If was really designing game nobody look at stats first. Is main combat system and moving fun first. Then think how add stats to make systems more fun. Stats build upon base not make for stats.
>>
>>381616213
because he wants it to have them, stupid
>>
>>381616267
don't reply to me
>>
>>381615920
Split Dex and Agi, especially if they are going to also determine move order or speed or something. Dex/Agi tends to be the most OP stat because so much hinges on it.
>>
Reflexes are just techniques you've heavily trained that become muscle memory. They should come from feats not stats.
>>
>>381616590
I'm assuming OP means "evasiveness" when he says "reflexes", so in that case it should be agility. Still, why would a game have both an agility and speed stat? It would be redundant.
>>
Okay, let me explain. The reason it's got RPG elements is because I'm designing player-controlled creatures. You can think of it as being vaguely similar to pokemon, if that helps you.

But I want to design one with a deeper system of stats. It's going to be less fantasy and more aimed towards scifi. Sharks are pretty quick, but I'm not sure you'd consider it agile, for example. Meanwhile cats are agile as fuck.
>>
>>381616775
Evasiveness is part of it. Countering can be part of it too. I'm not focusing solely on combat when it comes to these attributes
>>
>>381617450
I would say countering would be better suited to another stat or as a learned ability with a set chance to happen. If it dodge AND counter chances were tied to one stat, that would be a bit unbalanced, in my opinion.
>>
>>381617450
>not just RNG dodging, but also RNG countering
gross
>>
>>381617685
Both aren't necessarily going to be going on at the same time, unbunch your panties.

Dodge or counter would both be tied to to reflexes in some way, is my point. Maybe I'll make them abilities that can be gained - I don't know - but they won't be immediate and basic elements of the game.

And maybe you missed the part where I said it was early in the process? I'm just asking a question about attribute relations, but thanks for your answer.
>>
>>381617685
Ability checks will also be related to reflexes. Dodge/counter may not even make it into the final design. See how you shouldn't be making assumptions?
>>
>>381615920
Get the fuck rid of speed. Just have agility. Then you won't have to choose
>>
>>381615920
Wisdom
>>
>>381618487
Pokemon combat has always centered around the moves and the type chart, the stats aside from speed and HP were pretty much irrelevant until the Phys/Special split. All of the RNG shit just made the games worse to play because it took the strategy out of them.
If you wanted to make a more deeper designed combat, why not play with the idea of priority a bit more? Maybe add moves that can break through protect or absorb a hit and turn it into grey health which steadily heals when they're switched out or not being hit? There's plenty of systems you could pull from fighting games without just resorting to adding more RNG.
>>
>>381619980
>speed
It actually factored into critical hit chance in the first generation.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.