[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hey guys! Remember Homeworld Cataclysm? It seems the source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: HomeworldEmergence.jpg (142KB, 698x289px) Image search: [Google]
HomeworldEmergence.jpg
142KB, 698x289px
>Hey guys! Remember Homeworld Cataclysm? It seems the source code was found and we did a remaster of it like we did with the original Homeworld and Homeworld 2. It's literally like the old game, but with new graphics.
FUCK YEA...!!!

>However, due to Blizzard having an expansion to World of WarCraft coincidentally called Cataclysm, we changed the subtitle of Cataclysm into the less awesome Emergence instead of renaming it with a similar substitute subtitle. Why? Because we wanted to avoid confusion. In reality we did so because Blizzard trademarked the word Cataclysm and would rape us if we did release the game like that.
I swear, there are times when I just want to actually rip someone's heart through their anus for the amount of bullshit they do.
>>
File: 1496238108300.jpg (24KB, 288x252px) Image search: [Google]
1496238108300.jpg
24KB, 288x252px
Gearbox shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of anything.
>>
>>381586823
>Blizzard can trademark an entire word so no one can use it as a subtitle ever again

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>381587182
Tell me that. So what that Blizzard has its own Cataclysm? I want Homeworld Cataclysm, not some faggy Emergence.

Armageddon? Good substitute. Extinction? Would also fit in. Emergence? More like Emergence of stupidity.

>>381587282
Trust me, I myself wonder about this. Hell, even No Man's Sky (sorry for mentioning this game) had to fight legally over using the word Sky because there was a program that had the word Sky in it.
>>
>>381586823
>Hey guys! Remember Homeworld Cataclysm? It seems the source code was found and we did a remaster of it like we did with the original Homeworld and Homeworld 2. It's literally like the old game, but with new graphics.

Completely false. Its just a re-release of the original cataclysm, that has been optimized for modern systems.
Source code is still AWOL.
>>
>>381586823
OP is a fag as usual.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-brings-17-year-old-homeworld-expansion-cataclysm-back-from-the-dead/
>>
>>381587730
>>381587816
Still doesn't justify changing the subtitle so to not upset nu-Blizzard.
>>
>>381587575
m8 it wasn't a program, it was Sky network. And it's American copyright laws being retarded, forcing corporations to fight anything resembling anything they own or people may copy you and claim that you don't deserve it since you didn't show interests in the title before.

Remember Scrolls and Elder Scrolls? Scrolls still became a thing but they had to go trough the legal trouble because LOL MURIKA WHERE THE CORPORATE KEEPS KEKING YOU
>>
File: 1496459263794.png (169KB, 352x371px) Image search: [Google]
1496459263794.png
169KB, 352x371px
>>381586823
>In reality we did so because Blizzard trademarked the word Cataclysm and would rape us if we did release the game like that.
That's not how trademark law works. If you have a provable example that you used it beforehand you're completely fine. Gearbox are just spineless hacks.
>>
File: Capture.png (164KB, 1896x771px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
164KB, 1896x771px
>>381586823
>In reality we did so because Blizzard trademarked the word Cataclysm
What a bunch of faggots
>>
>>381588067
>you used it
Is exactly the problem, they never did. They bought the IP years later.
>>
>>381588308
Yes, the bought in intellectual property which contained usage of the term Cataclysm.
>>
>>381588060
>Scrolls
Yeah, remembered that. In all honesty the whole darn thing needs to be reformed from the very foundations.

>>381588067
>>381588145
>>381588308
Yep. I was never so angry at companies for something like this.
>>
>>381588390
Please anon, go give us the case law that you can transfer TM rights for digital products that you never TMed in the first place
>>
At least the game is accessible now.
The only way you could get access to it was through pirating these last years.
>>
>>381588390
If you knew anything about the law you would know it is utterly irrelevant here

Gearbox doesnt want a half a million dollar court case on their hands and the risk isnt worth it for a fucking name
>>
>>381588501
You don't have trademark rights.
But you can't be sued for continuing to use a term you used before someone else had a trademark.
>>
>>381588616
Yes, they're spineless hacks, that's what I said. In actuality the chance of a lawsuit isn't that large, they're afraid of the possibility more than certain it will happen.
>>
>>381586823

Why the fuck is it only on GOG, and why the fuck are they charging so much?

Also why didn't they remaster it. Fuck your measly 10% off.
>>
>>381588773
Charging much?

Its fucking 10 bucks.
>>
>>381588713
>Yes, they're spineless hacks
Okay anon, why dont you go re-release the game then and see if you can afford the law bill

Uneducated idiot. 95% of law cases are decided because of this very factor that its fucking expensive and fucking risky.

t. Lawyer
>>
>>381588626
Still waiting on your case law anon, but keep saying the same bullshit and see if that gets you anywhere
>>
>>381588626
>But you can't be sued for continuing to use a term you used before someone else had a trademark.
You can get sued for literally fucking anything you idiot. I can sue you right now for defamation if I wanted. The chance of success is irrelevant.
>>
>>381588713
>they're afraid of the possibility more than certain it will happen.
Thats literally the vast majority of law. When you grow up and one day have to deal with legal issues you'll realize how stupid you were today.
>>
So they re-release a previously unobtainable game (that you're evidently passionate about) updated to work on modern systems with hardly any changes but the name, and you're fuming with rage? If you want to be mad at gearbox there are far better reasons than them trying to avoid the long dick of Blizzard's lawyers.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.