[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are arena shooters ever really going to make a meaningful comeback?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1487537689627.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487537689627.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
Are arena shooters ever really going to make a meaningful comeback? Seems like after Halo functionally neutered them everything after the turn of the century is either a Quake project or some crowdfunded throwback novelty that has fuckall for a playerbase.

Either that or they try to make it more palatable by throwing in random things like hero abilities or COD-style loadout customization.
>>
No, people will always prefer classes/characters with their abilities.
>>
>>381556284
After quake champions becoming DOA I don't think we will see a proper arena shooter for a long time.
>>
>>381556284
Is this an official image? It looks like a shitty gmod pose.
>>
>>381556752
The pose itself is shit, but i don't think anyone has managed to rip BJ's model from TNO
>>
>>381556284
Not really, only Quake Champions will succeed.

It will. Screencap this.

The others will be DOA because the devs will listen to the people that never play any of them but still ask constantly for devs to make them exactly like they were 15 years ago. Look at UT4.
>>
File: 1481058731505.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1481058731505.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>381556752
Nah it's from the Quake Champions BJ trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCHUJj7fEw

It's an arena shooter, it just needs to look what it sort of is, it doesn't need to a highly detailed thing like it would be in New Order, where the promo renders and indeed, his cutscene model look like a product with Bethesda money.
>>
Doomguy when?
>>
File: 1467586579080.png (653KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1467586579080.png
653KB, 800x450px
>>381556995
I mean, you could argue the audience is there, the audience just isn't big enough to support and sustain a major multiplayer arena shooter project in 2017, especially a PC-only shooter.

People don't like "genre" games, they just like the game themselves. Yes, there are quite a lot of people that play multiple titles, but nobody is going to give up COD for everybody that tried to clone COD. Even after a string of mediocre releases COD still sells significantly better than most other shooters.

For all that talk about Overwatch killing TF2? TF2 playerbase didn't even take a dent.

Counter-Strike has outlived every major multiplayer trend and continues to be the most popular multiplayer FPS.

Quake? Half of it will just be the luxury of the Quake name and Bethesda support.
>>
>>381557801
>TF2 playerbase didn't take a dent.
You obviously haven't been playing for 2+ year
>>
>>381556284
the "pure" arena shooter has been rehashed over and over again. Halo didn't kill arena, arena was killed by it's own merits. The plain truth is that most people don't enjoy a barebones, difficult, unforgiving fps experience.
>>
No every time a new arena shooter gets released a bunch of people will go
>but its not an exact replica!
And the cycle will begin anew
>>
File: killmyselfmyman.jpg (246KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
killmyselfmyman.jpg
246KB, 1024x1024px
I want a new Unreal.
>>
>>381557801
>Counter-Strike has outlived every major multiplayer trend and continues to be the most popular multiplayer FPS.
To be fair, that game got remade every so often.
And with it's latest iteration, major multiplayer trends (aka bullshit) got added. Things like the now prevalent crates that get unlocked by keys, hats, etc.
>>
>>381557801
TF2 doesnt seem like it lost many players, because it's already died. I, along with thousands of other players, quit playing a long time ago, when the game became a hat and trade simulator, rather than a multiplayer FPS.
>>
>>381556284
They STILL are using the fps based netcode that requires you to have 10mb upload to even play on higher frames and at this point its beginning to look like super smash bros of """arena""" shooters.
>>
>>381561276
Nigga look at the player stats. The game hasn't died.
>>
>>381561398
I think they just fixed that in yesterdays update.
>>
File: 546165461564511.jpg (81KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
546165461564511.jpg
81KB, 460x215px
Cliffy B is making a come back guys
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.