[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have any bros here who played Earthbound as a child on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Earthbound-Wallpaper.jpg (294KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Earthbound-Wallpaper.jpg
294KB, 1024x768px
Do I have any bros here who played Earthbound as a child on the SNES? This game, it was like a spiritual experience for me. It's hard to explain but this game helped shaped and defined my idea of God. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
>>
Mu is Mu
>>
>>381529008
Yes and no. I played it when I was a kid, big box, guide, scratch and smells, all of that. I loved it. My dad and I beat it together. A lot of the humor was lost on me. When I went back to play it by myself a few years back, I loved it even more. Dialog is wonderful, pacing is super. It always stays fresh and fun.

It did not define my idea of god.
>>
>>381529008
You gotta play mother 3 baby. Trust me, it's fucking magical.
>>
>>381531085
Fuck I wish I could erase my memory and play that shit again for the first time. It was such a good fucking game.
>>
It's fun, whimsical and despite the 2spooky final boss and 4th wall break at the end the game never tries to be a pretentiously meta pile of shit like it's copycats (Looking at you Toby).

But it's hardly a spiritual experience.
>>
>>381529008
You'll get two responses here:
The first will be people who did play this game as a child and they loved every second of it and wish they could relive those memories again

Then you'll have the second response by people who've never played the game in their life who will say that it's pure garbage.

but it definitely did not define my idea of god
>>
File: 1497227577694.jpg (201KB, 788x611px) Image search: [Google]
1497227577694.jpg
201KB, 788x611px
>>381529008
I can't be the only one who thought everything about Twoson was bullshit, right?

>Go through cave
>Obstacle
>Go back through cave
>Talk to everyone
>Nobody does anything
>Weird red herring shit like the bike
>Get frustrated and go through cave again
>Fucking nothing, walk back
>Retalk to everyone again, realize Apple kid has more to do
>Can't find a solution so I go to the cave for the third time
>Yet again, fucking nothing
>Go to leave
>HEY NESS DO YOU WANT TO PROGRESS THROUGH THE STORY???

What were they thinking when they designed this? None of the other areas have these invisible triggers like waiting on a phone you're carrying to ring in order to advance.

The whole beginning of Earthbound is just a boring and frustrating mess, but it picks up once you reach Happy Happy village. Fuck Apple kid
>>
No. I liked how it was set in modern times and had a lot of weird stuff, but didn't like the endless inventory juggling and how you couldn't see your characters in battle.
>>
File: 1497227237982.jpg (264KB, 817x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497227237982.jpg
264KB, 817x800px
>>381531668
>>381531668
>and how you couldn't see your characters in battle.
That's part of the appeal in these Mother and Mother-like games. It's funny to use your imagination because most of the fights make no sense. It allows for more fantastical fights.
>>
>>381529008
>This game, it was like a spiritual experience for me. It's hard to explain but this game helped shaped and defined my idea of God
Explain.
>>
>>381531778
I don't mind not seeing the characters now, as an adult, but as a kid I thought it was total bullshit. Especially after seeing all the cool combo animations in Chrono Trigger.
>>
I rented it from blockbuster once, Got to twoson, got bored, and returned it around then too. It wasn't bad I just wasn't interested in jrpgs as a teen.
>>
>>381529008
Played as an adult and helped shape my idea of videogames.
I couldn't go back to edgy weeb or hollywood shit after.

>>381531660
Odd things like that phone call were fantastic. It was like the game itself was pulling a joke on you.
I'm a sucker for humor.
>>
>>381532117
It wasn't funny though, it was clearly intended that you talk to Apple Kid and get the phone before going to the cave but because nothing about that process is intuitive at all you wind up wasting three hours to complete a 10 minute task. It's intentional padding and there's a reason shit like that doesn't happen anymore.

Just in this thread this fucker >>381531976 admitted that Twoson section is what caused him to quit. Why was that area the second area in the game? If this shit happened halfway through it would be whatever but it literally caused people to quit the game, give it bad reviews, and not buy it back during release.

Twoson is literally the reason why Earthbound as a series isn't more popular.
>>
I played it as a teen on a GBA with a printed out game script because I didn't have a SNES and I expected one to be very expensive to buy without even looking into it, but I wanted to play that wacky game my forum buddies liked.

It's pretty good, but I liked Mother 1 more, which my first playthrough was done in the same way.
>>
>>381529008
Mother 3 is better in every way
>>
>>381531085
Never played either. The original passed me by as a kid because I was always more a fan of Tolkeinesque rpgs like Final Fantasy or Breath Of Fire. And the sequel was never released in the west, right?

So which should I play?
>>
How does it hold up? Is it still worth playing, or is it all nostalgia like Morrowind?
>>
Not to get too personal blog-y, but man, I never really considered the fact that there are people fortunate enough to have had this game be a formative childhood/adolescent experience... I haven't felt a deep tinge of envy in a long time
>>
>>381533456
>I never really considered the fact that there are people fortunate enough to have had this game be a formative childhood/adolescent experience...
Pretty much everyone hated Earthbound on release. A lot of the people who played it didn't finish it or even make it a quarter of the way through the game. The art style and combat was so archaic for the time that people dismissed it outright. Nowadays that doesn't matter so much and we can appreciate games for what they are, but at the time Earthbound had very little to offer on paper over the competition and had a nonexistant marketing budget.

90% of the people who say they played this as a kid are lying and the 10% who aren't likely mostly hated the game. It wasn't until the internet picked it up that people started actually liking Earthbound.
>>
>>381533701
This. At the time, the gaming world was far more enamoured with Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III (IV) and Chrono Trigger. Earthbound was largely ignored.
>>
>>381529008
>being this influenced by such an awful game

The entire Mother series is fucking trash that hipster faggots like you only pretend to like because "lol quirky so random xD".

Kill yourself
>>
I remember renting it over a weekend when I was a kind and getting to Fourside.

I didn't beat it until a few years ago, and I cheated in the best bat in the game to get through all the early game combat quicker.

Mother 3 was incredible too.
>>
>>381534018
The series is good because it's a slight twist on a classic JRPG formula in regards to it's gameplay. The story is nothing special, generic drivel about the power of friendship. It just emulates a childhood that most rural kids in japan had, and what american television idealized. Wide open fields, lots of suburbs, spelunking caves with your friends, sharing deep dark secrets, finding out you're an aborted fetus, etc.
>>
I wish I played it as a kid, but I played it on an emulator when I was 16 and it was still magical. Nowadays there's a few Mother clones, but they just copy the battle system and the wacky dialog mostly. No ones really cloned that fun theme of kids on a magical road trip of strange adventures in not quite so strange not-america.
>>
>>381534978
>No ones really cloned that fun theme of kids on a magical road trip of strange adventures in not quite so strange not-america.
This. The reason I like Earthbound as much as I do is that it feels like an adventure you'd make up with your friends in the woods, swinging sticks around like swords.
>>
im so grateful this isn't a lie : but when my mind was most maleable, before i ever sipped alcohol or smoked weed. when i was able to be 100% immersed in a video game, i rented silent hill 2. i was so scared, probably 12 yrs old. the story was simple at first but got so much more complicated and had me asking so many questions. ill never forget that summer. my mind was fixated on the mystery that was silent hill 2
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.