[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a Lenovo IdeaPad y700. I know it's not a powe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (171KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
171KB, 1280x720px
So I have a Lenovo IdeaPad y700. I know it's not a powerhouse, but it was a 1000 dollar "gaming laptop".

My specs are:
Processor: AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (2.1 GhZ)

Video Card AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

Video Card #2 AMD Radeon (TM) R9 M385X

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

What kind of games can my system handle? I have successfully played Skyrim and some older games, but Witcher 2 is unplayable. It seems like a mixed bag, and systemrequirementslab.com often skews it a bit.
>>
File: 1489923863152.jpg (24KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
1489923863152.jpg
24KB, 350x450px
>>381520396
>gaming laptop

Anon...
>>
>>381521368
Good answer. Show us some more of what you can do
>>
Depends what you are into, but look for the amazing selection of 2D games:

Hotline Miami
Undertale
Door Crashers
Super Meatboy
Binding of Issac
Rogue Legacy
FTL

I'm not even a fan of some of those but maybe that is a good starting point for you.
>>
>>381521368
In all seriousness, 1000 dollars doesn't get you a good gaming device. But what is so bad about it? I understand the processor complaints. Why even have that many cores with such shitty clock time? Can you overclock that?
>>381521836
Thanks man. I was more asking for a general idea of my system capabilities. Like what should I look out for? I know the store page doesn't go into all of this stuff for AMD laptops
>>
>>381522067
1000 dollars is more than enough for a good gaming device, if you know how to spend money in a good way
>>
>>381522227
>522227 ▶
>>>381522067 (You)
Maybe if you build it, but that's really just one thing I addressed
>>
>>381522272
Don't buy laptops for gaming, you should know this by now
>>
>>381521368
>>381521368
You know fag some times people gota to be on the go and often times away from a desk or in transit. So its nice to have shitty gaming laptop ,though not as powerful as a regular pc sure granted, since being able to at least decently play shit is always fucking nice to have.

Shit sucks when ones job has them mostly traveling from place to place but such convince is nice to have since portable gaymen console can only do so much.
>>
>>381522468
I didn't buy it for gaming. I bought a new laptop with moderate gaming capabilities when my old one broke. I think you're completely douching out right now. Take your meds
>>
>>381522602
NONE OF THIS IS HELPING
>>
>>381522651
So what's the problem then? If you didn't buy it for gaming then the specs won't be that important. Choose the one with the most hard disk space
>>
>>381522067
Regarding capability, I'm saying any 2D is probably a sure thing.

If you want to count Witcher 2 and Skyrim's performance as your litmus test you can count everything released before 2011 as playable.

Alternatively, a near performance tip is to lower the resolution of games down from the default you probably use for Windows. You can probably play the latest hottest shit at 800x600, a resolution for ants, then work your way up balancing graphics and playability.

How about avoiding new hotness and try out something like Ante-chamber and The Stanley Parable?

Both First Person Puzzlers with nice, but simple graphics.
>>
>>381522821
what's the problem? what? there is no problem damn. I'm just asking what I can play. Like, I'm not going to download something and have it sperg out on me
>>381522850
The weird thing is that Skyrim worked and Witcher didnt. at all.
>>
I'm on an Ideapad Z500 right now, games I've played on it:
Darkest Dungeon
Overcooked (flipped over, plugged onto TV to stop overheating)
3rd person point and click adventure games (lost crown, barrow hill, black mirror, syberia, sam and max, gabriel knight, still life)
Thief, Thief II
X-COM
Lara Croft Guardian of Light
Tales from the Borderlands
Armello
Gwent
>>
>>381522987
So are we talking that Skyrim worked decently without fiddling?

And Witcher 2, was that a case of it never booting up or was it just really chuggy?

I don't have any anecdotal evidence that the PC version of Witcher would be more intensive than Skyrim for you sorry.

The only miracle cure to your problem is to strip your laptop down to essential only Windows processes and presumably Steam. You can turn off a lot of things that'll help your games get most out of your PC's resources.

You tech savvy or not really?
>>
>>381521836
>Door Crashers
You mean Door Kickers or Castle Crashers?
>>
>>381522067
>>381522468
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332754
$1000 gets you this nowadays
>>
>>381523295
I had two (2) laptops from 2008 and both went from being able to run Crysis and Civ V to brin unusable overheating messess.

I would stick iceblocks and shit under the cases becuase of how hot they'd get. Some might say that the water vapour wouldn't be good for the devices and maybe they were right because both units were junk by 2017.

I sold them for $5 for both, after trying to salvage one of them as a Steam Machine (too big, hot and painful compared to the $33 dollar device that filled my needs for streaming to TV)
>>
File: IMG_0485.jpg (29KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0485.jpg
29KB, 443x332px
>>381523808
>>
>>381523958
pretty decent shit man
also a rare case
>>381523720
Skyrim- medium
Really chuggy
Only slightly tech savvy
I hear overclocking is a decent idea, but it's dangerous
>>
>>381522067
In all seriousness, you could've gotten a pretty kickass PC by hand picking the parts yourself. There's maybe 8 components you have to worry about when doing it and it saves a shit ton of money and performance.

What are you going to do with a laptop, man? Play it in a cafe? Maybe if you fly often, but otherwise it's needless and hurts what your machine is capable of. My spoiled little brother insisted on getting a gaming laptop a long time ago and he says he regretted it since it ran like shit compared to my remarkably cheaper desktop PC.
>>
>>381524695
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/clean-computer-original-state-reinstalling-windows/

Use some of the tips and programs in this guide to remove unwanted software. Especially the startup processes.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

This one will tell you a cool way to have a consequence free ad-block that'll stop you needing anti-virus. Basically there is a 'address book' of IP adresses on your PC, so maintaining a list of them, and redirecting them to harmless IP adresses is a clever way to stop unwanted connections.

Be in charge of your computer. If some program is like 'nuh-uh' delete that shit because you are in charge. You need less software than you think.
>>
Hi-jacking this thread to ask a computer related question; if I am planning on building my own rig from scratch, but aren't planning on overclocking, could I get away with skipping buying a heatsink?
>>
>>381525324
Yeah, the stock heat-sinks that come with your processors wilk be fine. Four mates and four PCs built for them since 2011 and none have shit the bed.
>>
File: 1496234347183.jpg (135KB, 1076x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1496234347183.jpg
135KB, 1076x1062px
>>381525710
Alright, thanks anon
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.