[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like the idea of creating a virtual world/hangout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: second-life-6.jpg (198KB, 800x586px) Image search: [Google]
second-life-6.jpg
198KB, 800x586px
Why does it seem like the idea of creating a virtual world/hangout has ceased to be a thing? In the late 90s and early 2000s it felt like people dreamed of making games/simulations where you can hang out in virtual worlds, but that idea seems to have been forgotten. Why?
>>
>>381493992
See the cartoon demon and the skeleton mam?

That's why.
>>
>>381493992
Roblox, my dude.
>>
>>381493992
vent happened.
team speak happened
voip happened
discord happened

its easier to just pop into a chat room and shoot the shit while you play other things. i mean, those games never had anything you could actually do.
>>
Cause they were fucking boring as all hell. I think it was playstation home that had some promise? But playing virtual pool and bowling gets boring pretty quick
>>
File: 1496752319241.jpg (73KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1496752319241.jpg
73KB, 1080x1349px
>>381493992

Like everyone else said, it gets boring fast without shit to do. There's nothing inherent to Second Life that prevents it from being what you're describing in the OP except for the fact that there's nothing to do there that isn't done better elsewhere. That's why the majority of people on Second Life are either extremely lonely or eccentric fetishists/furries.
>>
>>381495405
>>381495175
>>381494984

True. But sometimes I dream of some epic dating/life sim, taking place in a city, where you can walk around the parks, or visit malls, or go in bars, and just stuff like that. I feel like there's still some promise there

I remember the first time I played GTA IV and walked into the city the first time, it was this feeling of "woah...", like I could walk around in a living, breathing world. Of course, the game felt kind of empty, but there was that initial rush
>>
>>381493992
We have virtual worlds. They're called MMORPGs.
>>
I miss Active Worlds, and I miss The Palace
>>
>>381495757
Then go make it, faggot.
>>
>>381496043
hurtful
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.