[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this George Lucas-style practice of "reworking"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: sotc ps4.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sotc ps4.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
Why is this George Lucas-style practice of "reworking" classic games welcomed in the video game industry?

People talk about games being art, but anyone who appreciates art understands that it needs to be preserved in its original form. When Lucas """""improves""""" Star Wars by altering it, everyone (rightly) calls him an autistic hack, but the gaming audience apparently isn't sophisticated enough to see this for the travesty it is. Why?
>>
>>381444105

Video games are different, because of various reasons. Games released nowadays are always updated/patched over time altering the original experience, along with DLC and pre-order bonuses that may or not be accessible down the line. MMO's as well are a great example of a certain experience not being able to be kept through the ages, it's transient, games don't just exist in a vacuum.

There's even a bit of that in music, Kanye West's new album being redone after the fact comes to mind.

Personally, I believe art is a living and breathing thing, I welcome adapting old concepts and projects into new products.
>>
Actually the sotc fanbase is pretty triggered by this insulting piece of crap
>>
>>381444105
>People talk about games being art
Only literal children make this argument because they want to justify their "hobby." Videogames are not, never have been and never will be art and they shouldn't try to be.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
Yeah the movie industry would never do something like that. It's just stupid gamers!
>>
Changes in technology affect video games most. Ancient movies don't need remakes despite old production equipment because what ultimately makes a movie goes beyond technology.
That being said I find remakes simply being shinier graphics is a waste. Bring something new to the table too. Like REmake and Zero Mission did.
>>
>>381444105
1. It's great for people that have never played the game.
2. Videogames aren't art.
>>
>>381444105
minimal effort with relative guarantee of a decent profit. it's more about corporate profits than quality. Videogames exist to make them money. Whether they're fun or not is an afterthought as long as they sell well. Also, E3 only exists to boost shareholder confidence.
>>
>>381445315
Prove it.
>>
>>381445526
It was also on PS3. It's had it's time to shine and now it's over. Do you think the first Mario and Zelda games should be remastered too so people who never played it can play it too? If you want to play a game, just fucking play it, you don't need to shove it down someone's throat like "YOU NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME HERE'S ANOTHER FUCKING PORT."

And I know it's not a port, but it's still a waste of resources.
>>
>>381444105
Wait, what have they changed about it? I thought it was just a straight graphics update
>>
Games are only art when it suits people. Gamers largely do not respond financially to treating games as works of art.

It doesn't suit the corporations that make E3 announcements to treat SOTC as a work of art. It's a product, and by overhauling the art design they can get more money for that product.
>>
Most console owner this gen are normies and children who didnt own ps2 and on average owns only 5 aaa games in a consle lifecycle, huge untapped market and increased cost of games means derivative & recycled crap makes most money
>>
>>381445517
Games from the PS2 era onwards really don't need any kind of visual reworking. The technology was more than enough to convincingly convey a huge number of art-styles, settings, genres etc. No one would say MGS2 is a bad-looking game, even today.
>>
>>381445810
It's just a graphics update. It strays from the original in quite a few areas (a lot of the lighting and texture work creates a different atmosphere) so people who already thought it was a classic are butthurt.
>>
There's a few reasons.

First people with nostalgia for those games may be interested in them and rebuy them. There is little risk involved in remaking a beloved game because it is beloved and nostalgia is the driving factor for some people.

Then there are people like me, I've never played the original or the PS3 remaster because I simply didn't own those platforms. I do own a PS4 though and people keep talking positive about those games so I'm interested because of that.

And then there's the fact that a companies image goes up if they remake "fan favorites" and it makes them look like they are in touch with their fans.
>>
>>381444105
Whateva nigga.

I owe this game another purchase because its good and I love it, this just makes it that much easier.
>>
>>381445910
>>381445893
>>381445526
THEN JUST PORT THE ORIGINAL GAME ON PS4. WHY THE FUCK REMAKING IT FOR "THE NEW RETARDED GENERATION"?!
>>
>>381446260
Because it's more lucrative
>>
>>381444105
Its only welcome on Consoles because consoles have limited performance and limited backwards compatibility.

PC has mods and near perfect backwards compatibility.

This is why Bethesda had to give away Skyrim Enhanced for free on PC.
>>
File: sales-seminar-training1.jpg (40KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
sales-seminar-training1.jpg
40KB, 400x300px
>>381446260
>>
>>381446260
The game has been released twice and made all the money it's going to off of people that give a shit about Team Ico's artistic vision.

Now they can crank up the graphics and sell it to people that never gave a fuck and will DSP it in the first hour because you can't do anything in the open world. That is how you make money with video games.
>>
>>381446260
Because it looks nicer. What exactly is your problem with a remake? There is a PS3 port that runs good. Just play that if you don't want a remake.
>>
>>381444105
It doesn't look gloomy like the original one
>>
File: 1389304609282.jpg (56KB, 492x305px) Image search: [Google]
1389304609282.jpg
56KB, 492x305px
>>381444105
Lucas actively got rid of the production/screening of the old version of the movies.
You can still play the old versions of most of those games, *sometimes* even better than the original release.
I still think movies are handled better, you can buy a new copy of a really fucking old movie or stream in the modern screen/device you have, games are treated as disposable by publishers/hardware makers, once a generation is over is all supposed to go to the trash with no support for those games.
>>
>>381444105
Video games are made by companies which seek only to maximize profits. Therefore they cannot be art. Freeware, shareware, open-source etc can be considered art.
>>
>>381446446
Sounds like the early film industry. Exactly like it.
>>
>>381444105
Because Lucas actually improved his movies? It was the autistic star wars fanboys who got mad that he replaced shit like Yubnub faggotry with the superior Victory theme.
>>
>>381445289
Shadow is my favorite game of all time, I'm stoked. I do wish they had Ueda involved to include cut colossi and shit, but still. Ground up remake is cool with me.
>>
it's welcomed because generation after generation of console has ingrained it in people's heads that backwards compatibility is some sort of rare, violently unreliable thing that barely even exists as an option.

if you play on PC it's expected to the point that if an old game doesn't work on a new machine there are hundreds of community available solutions to get it working.
>>
File: vjWSrWOg.png (417KB, 728x427px) Image search: [Google]
vjWSrWOg.png
417KB, 728x427px
>>381446423
>nicer
>>
>>381445315
>>381445698
Not him, but I'll bite.
1. Video games is the medium that leaves close to nothing for the audience to fill in. You are showed everything, and there is no place for imagination.
2. Many developers don't understand what makes a video game good (see: Bad Company)
3. The primary focus of games is to provide entertainment, not artistic pleasure.
4. There is nothing to appreciate in games. It is not reflect reality, however stunning the graphics are.
5. The medium is often limited by self-imposed restrictions. Example: constant change of perspective would come out as convoluted.
6. Video game = cinema - in that case, are games art, or films?
>>
>>381444105

The video games industry is hitting the stage that Hollywood has where it's easier and more profitable to remake or reboot classics than to make new shit entirely.
>>
>>381444105
If it was like George Lucas, a lot of pointless extra stuff would be added to the remaster. I can't think of an example where this happens though, it almost always has better graphics + something small is censored.
>>
>>381446883
I don't get it, it's one of my favs too but this remaster looks janky as fuck. The animations are so damn bad and they aren't even trying to keep the same style.
>>
>>381447015
Remakes and reboots haven't done too hot lately.
>>
>>381446945
1 So you live in a world where developers like Ueda, Miyazaki or Blow don't exist
2 Nintendo
3 Art can be entertainment
4 So for you art=reality (?)
5 So?
6 wat
>>
>>381447357
?

Many series this gen got rebooted into being open world action rpgs. Reboots into popular genres like open world or loot box multiplayers are the hot shit.
>>
File: consider.jpg (43KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
43KB, 600x451px
>>381444105
>/v/ is still too retarded we're dealing with multi-million coprorations and how they work
Because Hollywood is doing the same thing. Rehashing old Hollywood and foreign films because it's cheaper and serves as an easy cash grab. The vidya industry caught on and simply copied the same business model.
>>
>>381444105
They talk about it being art maybe on Reddit, you pleb.
In actuality, games are more similar to a pinball machine than a Greco-Roman statue.
>>
>>381447584
I meant for movies.
>>
>>381447128
I get that. But to be fair, Bluepoint has done a solid job on remasters in the past, and considering they did the ps3 release, they know what the game is pretty well. And it's early. Plenty more to see. Can't blame you for being suspicious of it though.
>>
>>381447549
>1 So you live in a world where developers like Ueda, Miyazaki or Blow don't exist

I live in a world where their games are met with general disinterest and don't sell shit.

Where are these people and where are their games? Nobody gives a shit about them. From does pretty well because casuals think they have a monopoly on hard games, but everyone else is slumming it in the indie scene.
>>
>>381444105
this is because consoles have no retro-compatibility. You don't see (as) much of that with PC
>>
>>381444105
Everybody likes to see "what could have been." In the case of movies, this is easily satisfied by the inclusion of deleted scenes, storyboards and other extra features included on DVDs/Blu Rays, or in some cases a director's cut. But in the case of games, it's not enough to just see what could have been, some people want to play it too. Stuff like TCRF and data mining for cut content and the like is cool, but it's always a much bigger deal when a playable beta or prototype turns up.
>>
>>381445315
the OP talks about Star Wars, not citizen kane. As much as I love SW, it's not too different from videogames as a form of entertainment
>>
>>381447549
1. Fucking weaboo
2. MANY, not all. Nintendo, as a matter of fact, keeps rehashing.
3 and 4. Art is supposed to reflect capabilities of human experience.
5. Limitations imply the inability to express oneself.
6. The Last of Us is often considered a cinematic experience. What elements contribute towards its being outstanding - gameplay, or cinema-esque elements?
>>
>>381444105
Why would this be a bad thing? I've never played Shadow, but I felt like everyone back then tried to get me into it, that's how beloved it was. People are happy about getting the chance to play that one game they loved so much again on their next gen console. And as far as I know the most important aspect was that feeling of despair in that game, so it's not really a big disappointment, knowing there'll be no big changes
>>
video games aren't a passive artform so the same rules don't apply
>>
>>381448291
>as far as I know the most important aspect was that feeling of despair in that game
No, despair isn't one of the emotions that the game is trying to provoke. Alternating excitement and melancholy are what it's going for.
>>
>>381444105
Art doesn't exist nigga
>>
>>381448097
1 ayy lmao
2 nice semantic fella
3 and 4 yes, in XIX century
5 Right, but there are plenty of developers who don't limit themselves and try "to break through preconceived notions of what games can be by exploring the creative possibilities of the medium".
6 You right, in fact I'm not talking about tlou or other "cinematic experiences".
>>
>>381449007
1 and 2. Yeah, whatever.
3 and 4. And what is art now, nigger?
5. Examples, please.
6. What?
>>
>>381444105

The games industry is too different to the movie industry. The methods of experiencing old games are too inconvenient because of shitty console manufacturers and microshit who keeps fucking up backwards compatibility on PC.

Backwards compatibility is so incredibly important but these companies don't get enough backlash from consumers because not enough people care about old games except for the ones they played in their childhood.

People don't emulate atari 2600 games. They can, but they don't. Newer is better.
>>
>>381446903
So are you going to completely ignore my post? Don't mind if I'll do the same from now on then.
>>
>>381449221
3 and 4 dude, do you live in a world where stuff like, cubism, dadism, post-modernism and al the XX century avant-garde art forms are just an illusions?
WTF these things have in common with "real life experiences"?!
5 I dunno... something like the videogame in the OP maybe?
6 Games like tlou or other cinematic experience can't considered "art" because they are just a lame copy of another medium, the don't use the gameplay or interactivity (the main language of a videogame) to express the emotions that they try to convey

Watch this when you have some free time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qot5_rMB8Jc
>>
>>381445526
What are video games? Appliances?
>>
>>381450284
can't be*
sorry for the typo
>>
>>381450285
They're games.
>>
>>381450284
Art in the early XX century was a result of people's being dissatisfied with both World Wars. Hence, you have ambiguous projects, which is a result of their consciousness.
5. How does TLG differ?
6. Agreed

I'll check out the link, thanks.
>>
>>381449221
Look at any retarded avant garde indie game that's come out in the past decade, like That Dragon Cancer. There's stuff like Braid, Stanley Parable. Games that try to turn genres on their head like Tumbleseed.
>>
>>381450651
Shit, not TLG, but SoTC
>>
File: 1438710444941.png (20KB, 315x274px) Image search: [Google]
1438710444941.png
20KB, 315x274px
>>381444105
What I hate most about this is that there will be a time when everyone who played the original will be dead and this "remake" will be heralded the title of "One of the greatest games ever made" while the original will fade into darkness all because of "muh grafix"
>>
>>381450469
oh
>>
>>381450883
Probably won't be just because of the graphics, there are a lot of people who complain about the controls of the PS2/PS3 version and the dev team has already said they'll modernise the control scheme. I never understood why people complained about the controls of the old version though.
>>
>>381446945

fucking hell.
this is why you shouldn't try to discuss art on 4chan.
>>
>>381445289
>pretty triggered
For what reason(s)? Have any radical changes to the game been found? Is the bow and arrow now an AK47? Can we slingshot to the Colossi's weakspots now instead of climbing them?
>>
>No cut colossi
>universal lighting
>Ueda isn't involved

What's the point?
>>
>>381446883
why these lazy dev cant make a proper remaster, i was so hyped but then you see its the same game with nothing additional but i hope a good 60fps and 4k
>>
>>381451519
Money, of course.
>>
>>381447128
>The animations are so damn bad
Hmm? Don't they look the same in the original?
Also while I like team Ico games, I'm no too fond of desaturated and overexposed look they usually have.
So far I don't see any problems with the remake.
I've only seen the trailer once though, so I might've missed something.
>>
>>381444105
Artist work is never done.
>>
of all the PS2 games to remaster why this? The animation was the best on PS2, the artstyle was impeccable, I hope Ueda is working on a new game cause have no desire to play this, The Last Guardian was great, why not make The Last Guardian Vs Shadow of Colossus a battle game
>>
File: 1470701922344.jpg (6KB, 198x221px) Image search: [Google]
1470701922344.jpg
6KB, 198x221px
>>381446469

Correction: Video games are published by companies which seek only to maximize profits.
So are books, music, film, (you could easily lump art dealers in here too).

The actual creators, in most cases, seriously care about their work and their vision.
>>
>>381451759
>Hmm? Don't they look the same in the original?
Fuck no.
>>
>>381451985

desu i think it might just be to get out of his contract with sony. i seem to remember him saying at one point he was still contractually obligated to put out the last guardian and one more exclusive game.
>>
Because videogame players are too stupid and uneducated to have standards and to consider videogames an art, and the industry has no interest in changing things.
Even the cheapest, worst made, movie still blows the best videogame ever made out of the water for this exact reason.
>>
>>381452162
Hmm... I need to look at the comparisons then.
>>
>>381452176
Ueda isn't involved with the remake
>>
>>381444105
Kek
>>
>>381452337
What board did you come from?
>>
What games are your favorite 'updates' or 'remasters'?
>>
>>381452591

yeah, but is team ico? the contract would probably be with them, not ueda himself.
>>
>>381452162
We're talking about Wanderer's animations, right?
They look almost identical to me. At least judging by the trailer. Is there a raw gameplay video or something that I'm missing?
>>
>>381453125
team ico is just a team within Studio Japan
>>
you either take the money grabbing route of remastering old games or the microsoft route of BC

lets face it, sony is milking its fanbase for all its worth
>>
>>381444105
It looks better, it'll play better, and it's an improvement.
>>
>>381453202
No you're just incredibly mistaken if you think they look even close. PS2's Wander flailed around, this one is almost robotic.
>>
>>381447617
Games aren't art because they are cash cows. The AAA releases anyways
>>
>>381453365
didn't they work on Demon's Souls?
>>
>>381453482
>It looks better

fuck no

> it'll play better

They're probably gonna fuck up the physics
>>
>>381453597
You see, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, you're crying and flailing about like a child for no good reason and expecting people to take you seriously.
>>
>>381453584
That's Fromsoft
>>
>>381453658
They're fucking removing Ueda lighting in favor of shitty generic unity lighting.

It looks worse
>>
>>381453558
Hmm... Maybe you're right.
Still I don't have much problem with it. I need to see more of actual gameplay to decide if I like the changes or not.
>>
>>381447617
It's less about the industry and more about why the consumers and gaming press are happy with it.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.