[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With all this talk about Monster Hunter, I've been thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: Game_Cover-MHFU_US.jpg (283KB, 640x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Cover-MHFU_US.jpg
283KB, 640x1102px
With all this talk about Monster Hunter, I've been thinking of trying it out. Which one should I play and why? I own a 3DS, PC, and PSP.
>>
MH3U, the best MH before the bullshit mounting and styles. It got bullshit swimming but just use Lance or bow underwater and you're golden.
>>
4U because it has a good early game for getting into the series and is arguably the best in the series. FU is my personal favourite but you might have trouble finding people if you want to play online and it has some bad hitboxes, which might be off putting for a new player
>>
>>381371831
3 Ultimate, everything after is underwhelming, everything before is too broken.
>>
>>381372314
What's wrong with mounting and styles? Not sure what those terms mean in MH.
>>
I'd say emulate 3U, assuming you have a controller.
It'll look nice and you won't have to stare at a little portable screen.
>>
File: 1422417306110.png (80KB, 712x671px) Image search: [Google]
1422417306110.png
80KB, 712x671px
Your options are
>Freedom Unite
>Emulate Portable 3rd HD ver
>3U on 3DS
>4U
>Generations
>MHXX if your 3DS is hacked

FU, 3U, 4U, and XX are all G-Rank games so they have way more stuff. I'd personally recommend 3U or 4U.
Also, Hammer is retard proof meaning literally any dolt can use it, and if you can't beat that Great Jaggi guy, consider suicide.
>>
>>381372541
>emulate 3U
I thought 3DS emulation was garbage, though.
>>381372585
Why do some people recommend FU while others recommend 4U? What's the main difference, and why do people usually prefer one over the other? Aren't they basically the same game?
>>
>>381371831
Start with Freedom Unite and move onto the 3DS ones in order.
If you start with the older titles going back to FU will be really hard.
If FU is to much for you start with 3U.
>>
>>381372426
Swimming is worse then mounting and styles, best old school game is freedom unite for psp and best new is mh4u for 3ds, mh4u is also nice cause it has online while freedom unite you'll have to play by yourself but it's still very good if you wanna solo and play on the superior system
>>
>>381372808
>I thought 3DS emulation was garbage, though.
Right, sorry. For some reason I though 3U was also released on the Wii.

Go for plain old 3rd.
>>
>>381372397
This.
3U is pretty good but underwater combat sucks, Gen is honestly the worst 3DS game, too much useless content and I hate the arts.
If you're going for PSP, for for F2U, it's fucking ace and probably the one I put the most hours into.
>>
>>381371831
The only monster hunter I've played is 3U and I had an awesome time with it. Logged about 300 hours on it and ended up mostly soloing G-rank battles with dual swords. I found the other weapons too slow to get into the game, but weapon is all preference.
If you have a couple friends to do hunts with it makes the game way more fun and easier to get through, especially in G-rank.

I can't speak for the other monster hunter games, but I did really enjoy 3U.
>>
File: 1446623561619.png (221KB, 500x639px) Image search: [Google]
1446623561619.png
221KB, 500x639px
>>381372808
>Aren't they basically the same game?
Freedom Unite and 4 Ultimate are radically different. 4U has new mechanics like climbing and mounting, where you jump on a monster's back and stab it a bunch to make it fall over, as well as new weapons (insect glaive and charge blade) and a plethora of new monsters that weren't in FU.
Again, your options are varied. Look into it some more and see which one looks more appealing.
>>
>play FU
>play 3U
>play 4U
At this point, you might as well list all the games in the series.
>>
>>381372808
>Why do some people recommend FU while others recommend 4U?
FU is basically pokemon gen 1, where 4U would just be the newest gen, if you wanna see where monster hunter got it's roots and see what made it what it is today then start with FU but if you don't care then just go with 4U
>>
>>381371831
Like with any game. Start with the first.
Don't do this
>>
>>381373484
i'm now imagining a MH game with gen 7 pokemon tier cutscenes and i want to kill myself
>>
>>381373484
OP here. Nah, I don't give a shit about roots and whatnot, I just want to have fun and collect aesthetically pleasing gear.

Speaking of which, which game has the sexiest armor sets?

>>381373529
I did this with Final Fantasy. Now I've beaten nearly all of them.
>>
>>381371831
Just wait for Monster Hunter World to come out in early 2018. It'll be for PC, and is geared more towards an international audience. Good way to jump in, since it's unlike any of the previous games in the main series (yes it is main series).
>>
File: 1446735598361.jpg (574KB, 1119x910px) Image search: [Google]
1446735598361.jpg
574KB, 1119x910px
>>381373796
>which game has the sexiest armor sets
Hands down 3U
>>
File: 1265759951160.png (254KB, 1332x880px) Image search: [Google]
1265759951160.png
254KB, 1332x880px
>>381371831
FU was my first and I've followed every Western release since then.
If you want the PURE experience start there I guess but if you want the easiest game to get into the series start with 4U.
Has a really good intro, tutorials and surprisingly good story (if you're into that sort of thing) for a MH.
Honestly, they're all great games with similar progression and layout.
The more recent games are just more forgiving and less buggy with hitboxes that actually connect when the monster isn't clear on the other side of the map.
>>
>>381373941
Continuing this...
But if you really want the "standard" MH experience but with all of the cool new stuff, go for 4U. Generations added some things that will be removed for World (Hunter Arts) so a good basis for the modern series is 4U. Plus it's pretty fun.
>>
>>381374247
>The more recent games are just more forgiving and less buggy with hitboxes that actually connect when the monster isn't clear on the other side of the map.
If that's the case, then why do people still play FU? Are they masochists?
>>
File: Plesioth.png (585KB, 712x928px) Image search: [Google]
Plesioth.png
585KB, 712x928px
>>381374518
Because janky disjointed hitboxes are fun
>>
>>381374518
Cause it's gen 1 pokemon, it's arguably the best game despite all the bugs
>>
>>381374747
Erm, no. Just no. If it's a nostalgia thing, fine. But it is by no means better.
>>
>>381374518
It's just another level of difficulty people seem to enjoy.
Seeing a hip check coming, and figuring out WHERE it'll actually do damage were just another step in the hunt back then.
I personally don't care for that anymore.
>>
I'm trying to play FU and it's so fucking tedious.
Not really sure if the series is for me honestly.
Like i've got this huge sword and I can't even hit the enemies with without taking damage and it takes 5-6 hits to kill even the lowest shitty dinosaur.
>>
File: 1445061995382.jpg (302KB, 486x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1445061995382.jpg
302KB, 486x1103px
>>381375102
>>
File: 1442472223951.jpg (69KB, 418x462px) Image search: [Google]
1442472223951.jpg
69KB, 418x462px
>>381375240
Was literally about to post this
>>
>>381375102
Start with sword & shield or dual blades. Maybe light bowgun.
Easier to wield.
(I played lance myself throughout almost all of FU)
First couple of gathering/weapon tutorials in FU are tedious but hang in there. Just doing the starting drills before you take off on a marathon.
>>
>>381375102
The secret to great sword is to just keep it sheathed, only pull it out to place a well timed charged hit. If you have trouble with boss monsters, observe their movements and position yourself appropriately. Trust me, it'd not hard to start picking up.

Things seem slow and clunky, but it's not too difficult to get over.
>>
>>381371831
The one you posted is the best one to start and end with.
>>
>>381375498
FU is just a meme
>>
>>381371831
you can play FU online on pc, so...
>>
>>381375889
you can play 4U online on 3ds, so....
>>
MH4U and MH3U are currently the best, go with those two. MHXX is probably really good too
>>
Freedom Unite is my favorite, and I've played most of them. It's accessible without throwing 100 different systems at you like the newer games seem to, and it's got an extremely high skill ceiling in the end-game.
>>
I'm not going to read this thread, but anyone who says you should play anything other than whatever the latest released one is is a liar.

MH has been evolving and changing since Monster Hunter G, and yet for some reason some "fans" get their panties in a twist about it and pitch a fit every time something new gets added.

Every Monster Hunter has been great, and there's no reason not to just play whatever the newest one is first. If you're interested in fighting some monsters that don't appear in the latest games, go back and play the games they are in, but only after you just play the latest one.
>>
>>381376063
>extremely high skill ceiling end-game
FU is my favorite too but i don't agree with that part at all. The monsters have pretty predictable movesets the difficulty just comes from how hard they hit.
>>
>>381376216
TBF no console version of 4U gives reason to play 3U, well at least MHGU comes out
>>
4U, for sure. Has a story, takes time teaching you the basics, rewards progression, no dumb difficulty spikes until after you're done with High Rank.
>>
>>381376216
I think it's fair to complain about Gen though.

It adds a lot sure, but a lot of those additions are experimental, and even more of them unbalanced.

I'm not even hating on styles or arts, I think they're cool, but they kinda break the game a bit, in the state they are in. Prowler's fucking perfect though.
>>
>>381376216
The tone of the series has been completely changed after FU. They don't give you that sense of isolation anymore. Now everything is easy mode, unrealistic super moves and nothing seems threatning.

It's nostalgia, I know.
https://youtu.be/Qc7hTzayS7g
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.