[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many years experience in vidya development do you need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

How many years experience in vidya development do you need to get a job as a vidya dev in a company?

I'm 19 and starting a two year course in vidya design and development soon.
>>
File: 1251329039009.jpg (3KB, 123x127px) Image search: [Google]
1251329039009.jpg
3KB, 123x127px
>>381370763
Seriously ?
>>
Experience doesn't mean shit unless you have a portfolio.
>>
>>381370851

What?
>>
>>381370851
>people study game design for years
>inevitable turn out dice-battlefront style games
What a complete waste of everyone's time
>>
>>381371272
If that. Game design is more of a meme than CS is
>>
>>381370763
>I'm 19 and starting a two year course in vidya design and development soon.
Your retarded, don't throw your money away. If you want to get work at a studio you need to develop a portfolio showing your ability to
-use coding languages effeciently
-use 3D animation programs efficiently
-have games made in different engine types
-have experience writing a game engine, implementing assets, and basically having a slew of games you've made
For this you need years of experience developing indie with others. Community college is crap unless it's a reputable program and teaches shit you need to gain experience. If it doesn't do compsci and if you hate it then you should definitely not go into vidya development unless you wanna be an artist or composer or writer or some stupid shit.
>>
>>381370763
If you want to be a games artist, take an art course instead
If you want to be a games programmer, go do cs or something else
If you want to be a designer, download Gamemaker Studio, Unity, or Unreal, and start making games
Games design courses, while a lot of fun, don't really increase your employability and only serve to lose you money
t. games design graduate
>>
>>381371002
Not really. Experience is what builds your portfolio.
Having a nice website with very shitty projects on it is worse than having a simple wordpress website with actually interesting and well thought out projects on them
>>
>>381370763
OP, why do you want to design a game ?
Do you just like the idea of doing it or do you have actual ideas ?

Unity is a very easy game engine, I would urge you to just pick it up and play around with your ideas. You don't need a degree for the most part and ideas are the most important part of being a designer.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.