[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we get Fetch Quests out of video games /v/? Breath of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

How do we get Fetch Quests out of video games /v/?

Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3, Fallout New Vegas - literally every well rated RPG of the last decade is riddled with fetch quests. This can't go on.
>>
>I hate content
>>
>>381343979
>I love fake content. And cocks.
>>
why do people like the quests from majoras mask? What makes them special?
>>
>>381343898
What else can you do in open world videogames?
>>
>>381343898
Fetch quests won't go away until casuals like >>381343979 who quantify games based on shit like how many quests a game has go away. Too many shitty players are concerned about "HUNDREDS" or "INFINITE" quests, when having a handful of well-crafted ones would be so much better.
>>
>>381344010
Fetch quests are necessariy for autists like you because you won't climb that mountain if there's not a bull to prep on top of it.
>>
>>381344084

they were 12 when they played it
>>
>>381344010
>content is fake because it makes you get something
You can even make a good fetch quest with a little bit of decent design.
>>
>>381343898
>fetch quest
>kill quest
>save quest
>build quest

There's really nothing more than those 4. I don't think the problem is fetch quests in general but that there's a proportionally large amount of them compared to the rest
>>
>>381344143
>thinks about cuckoldry 24/7
I think you may be the autist.
>>
>>381343979
Games like Bloodborne manage to offer 50 hours of fun without resorting to fetch quests. I just hate playing a game and then I come across something like "bring me all 10 chicken and that ring that fell into a ring and that is now being guarded by a troll". Completely sucks the fun out of the game for me.
>>
i dont know

i dont know why developers are so fucking dumb and afraid of trying to be creative

they need to make open world games about things HAPPENING, not a fucking static world that never changes and waits on you hand and foot to do anything

things need to fucking happen to you and the world rather than vice versa, people you interact with should fucking travel and do more with you, and the environment should change to reflect these events

but instead its all just getting fucking worse, now supposed options in dialog dont even make any fucking difference, sometimes giving you even the same fucking line no matter what you choose

>>381344358
>Games like Bloodborne manage to offer 50 hours of fun without resorting to fetch quests.

oh yeah no it just manages to resort to making you waste 90% of your time dying and replaying the same thing to figure out some arbitrary bullshit to continue in a ultimately tiny world that really is aonly about 8 hours of content if the creators and players of the game werent autistic as fuck
>>
>>381343898
I'm more worried about fixing the DLC problem. We gotta get fags to quit buying that shit.

Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>381344260

>no u

Stop embarassing yourself.
>>
Name 1 fetch quest in Witcher 3. Oh you cant?
Fetch quests literally arent a problem? Oh.
Why make the thread for something that isnt an issue?
>>
>>381344610
>I suck at video games
Could have just said that
>>
>>381343898
Im ok will 100 million fetch quests as long as there are other good quests also.
>>
>>381344623
I'm just saying, that shit isn't normal. Please seek help anon I'm sure you can find love eventually.
>>
>>381344719
His statement never said he was the one dying. The point is that that is the only way your going to get 50 hours out of Bloodborne. The game is literally 12 hours at best. And speed runs are under 2 hours. So why say it gives 50 hours then?

Literally use your fucking brain next time instead of automatically going defense force and calling everyone casual.
>>
>>381344717
>look up witcher 3 quests
>literally a secondary quest named "collect 'em all"
>>
>>381344717
Fetch quest might be shit but Witcher3 approach of shitty narrative quest where all you've gotta do is press your Witcher Senses™ button, follow the red trail and kill some random mob at the end isn't any better
>>
>>381344717
>witcher senseTM
>map littered with question marks
>>
>>381344143
>Fetch quests are necessariy for autists like you because you won't climb that mountain if there's not a bull to prep on top of it.

Where did this come from? Who are you arguing with, shithead? I'm against fetch quests, I'm pro-interesting game worlds with unlockable abilities and engaging combat. Not a delivery checklist.
>>
>>381344719
If Bloodborne takes you 50 hours then you suck
>>
Creating meaningful quests is hard and people want games to be 10000000 hours long or they aren't worth buying.
>>
>>381343898
I vote for the Mafia III solution.

Make every quest a kill quest. Switch it up by changing the method of execution.

1. Kill these fucks.
2. Track this fuck and kill him.
3. Rob these fucks (and kill them).
4. Infiltrate this base (and kill those fucks).
5. Poison those fucks.
6. Plant bombs on these vehicles; we gotta kill those fucks.
7. Assassinate that fuck with a crossbow/sniper rifle.
8. Kidnap and torture that fuck.
9. Interrogate those fucks to find that other fuck.

All you gotta do is make the combat addictive. Add violence and you got a great game.

Way better than obnoxious, mundane bullshit.
>>
>>381345072
Bloodborne + Old Hunter's is at least 50 hours for NG+ and chalice dungeons.
>>
>>381344610
what really needs to happen is AI needs to improve, not just for "enemy" or "combat" situations, but for economy/political simulations.

that and there needs to be better procedural generation, where it's in a more Dwarf-Fortress Style where it generates all at once, and in a manner that makes some sort of sense.
>>
>>381343898
You don't. Fetch quest can be bad or good. What matters is the players incentive for doing it and the accompanying immersion of the quest.
>>
>>381344939
If you ever played the game youd know what the quest is about, instead you just shitpost about nothing.
>>381344960
>>381345032
So its not a fetch quest, its some other kind of quest and completely unrelated to this thread.
>>
In botw you can just not do them. If some people don't mind doing fetch quests, then why complain when they're optional?
>>
>>381345261
>go collect these things to get gwent cards

pretty self explanatory fetch quest
>>
>>381345170
So it's literally "kill whitey: the game" huh
>>
>>381345261
>Fetch a goat
>Go over there and protect these people from a monster attack
>Go into a cave and get me a herb
>Go to my house and kill some monsters there
>Find the allgod and tell him to fuck off
>Find a the corpse of a woman's husband and tell her he's dead
>>
>>381345248
That's not possible with how shit console CPUs are and with how the average gamer is a totally content 12 year old consolefag dipshit who doesn't care about AI
>>
>>381343898
I like fetch quests when the item being fetch can:

-Make you stronger
-Unlock an ability
-Unlock a weapon

If you are just fetching something to deliver it, that's a bad fetch quest and the devs way of laughing at you for wasting your fucking time.
>>
>>381345261
GO AND FIND ME THIS FINE PAN YOUNG MAN
>>
Fetch quest is just a quest architype which makes the player to go to a place to acquire an item. There's nothing wrong with them theoretically, they're often just poorly done. The way you have to acquire the item must be interesting. Like if you really think about it, Zelda games are basically just fetch quests but the fetch objects are inside cool dungeons so they work.
>>
>>381345696
Agreed. One of the more fun quests in botw to me was the second time you have to light the furnace. Trying to take a lighted torch from the top of one hill to another, while dodging enemies and ducking under trees when it rained was pretty fun.
>>
>>381345374
You kill blacks, but mostly whites. It's a revenge story.

2/3 your crew is white. Your best bro is white. Winning wouldn't be possible without your white bro.

You end up killing KKK mother fuckers. They're selling slaves and shit.

There's a small amount of pandering, but it's minor sexuality bullshit.

Pirate it. It's fucking solid.
>>
>>381345580
I dont mind fetch quests if Im playing an mmo. I like having stuff to do when theres a carrot at the end of it.
In DAI the quest design was a bit bad since theres no real carrot at the end, you just wasted time doing nothing fun.
>>
File: 43252341215135.gif (994KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
43252341215135.gif
994KB, 250x250px
>>381343898
better question: what separates a good quest from a bad quest?

Are fetch quests inherently bad? I don't think that makes sense. If the challenge you have to acquire the magical macguffin is compelling, isn't that fine? If it's meant to more subtly direct the player to a location of interest, isn't that reasonable?

I think any quest can be reduced to something mundane, depending on your attitude. Basically what >>381344259 is saying.
>>
>>381345431
>>Find a the corpse of a woman's husband and tell her he's dead

aka the reverse Mankrik
>>
>>381345374
You slaughter countless white males in a majority of video games though
>>
>>381346282
Yeah. I don't get it. Mafia III doesn't even make blacks look good. It's basically a murder simulator with a great story.

Only time I saw social justice faggotry is when the dyke tells you about her sexuality. The two guys fucking in the sauna as well.
>>
Make the travelling part actually important.
>ok, these guys want me to travel to fuckbitch yet i need to take a boat to cuntdick to deliver this other stuff, also a guy wants me to delve into a cave in shitcreek, what is the best way to do everything on time and still make money/not die?
>>
>>381346690
That sounds like some strategy game or a rogue lite with resource management.
If you just want a more immersive experience you can play witcher 3 without ever using signposts
>>
>>381346068
Good post. I'd say that most games use fetch quests to set up the game. Dark Souls makes you go ring the two bells, Fallout 2 makes you find the holy GECK, the already mentioned zeldas make you go collect eight pieces of a macguffin, Thief 1 makes you fetch a magical sword (in a level which is often considered one of the best in the series), etc etc. It's just a convenient way to put people on their adventure. People just have a bad taste of them because they're also often used in early game sidequests which usually aren't super compelling or dramatic overall.
>>
>>381346068
I think implementing choice of who to give the fetched object to or a variety of methods to acquire the object (rather than walk here, slaughter those) go a long way to making a fetch quest good. Fallout does this pretty often, so some of the fetchquests are more tolerable.

Fallout 3's quest "The Wasteland Survival Guide" is a fetch/kill quests and it is probably one of the best quests in that game (which had many quests that were based around premises more interesting than fetch/kill/protect).
>>
File: smug wojak.png (6KB, 244x206px) Image search: [Google]
smug wojak.png
6KB, 244x206px
>implying /v/ wants to get rid of the one thing that keeps them from realizing their life is missing something and is using fetch quests to fill the void

Lets be real here anons your all insecure about something in your life and use vidya like everybody else here to fill that insecurity
>>
>>381343898
video games are not as interactive and dynamic as you'd like to think. there isn't that much that can be created/added. that's true not only for quests but also for combat
>>
>>381346068
What makes a good quest is allowing the player to solve it in any way he wants and having the AI world react dynamically to what the player is doing without having the whole world react around him.

Starsector has excellent fetch quests. You can acquire the goods anyway you want and enemies will even try to intercept the shipment if they learn of your contract.
>>
>>381343898
Life is full of fetch quests.
Such as:
Go fetch your dew and doritos from the store.
Might as well get Twinkies while we're there.
>>
Just don't put them in. It's that simple. Plenty of games with them, even games that absolutely revel in them, would still be serviceable without them. They're added just because it's trivial to do so and it's EVEN MORE CONTENT.
>>
>>381343898

>OH MUH GOD I HATE THIS GAME! ITS TOO ON THE RAILS!

So you faggots BEGGED for needlessly large maps that do nothing but make you just hold down the button and move in one direction for five minutes and you wanted more "variaty" which is just shitty unfun side quest.
>>
There's nothing wrong with fetch quests if

>the storyline makes it believable that the certain npc needs an item and can't get it himself
>gives you a reason to care enough to do it
>>
There's nothing wrong witch fetch quests, they are just used as a excuse to make you travel, a fetch quest can be good depending on what happens during your travel and at the point of the collection, you pointed out fallout new vegas, but we can talk about all of fallout games even Fallout 4, its pretty rare on fallout games that you dont find something unexpected during your travels and that's what makes it somewhat enjoyable, atleast in fallout games.
>>
>>381344610
The problem with the "happening" without input from the player is that it can prevent players from playing at their own pace. There was a reason fallout 1's time was extended. The world changing faster than the player can progress both skill, gear, and story wise vastly hurts the casual experience
>>
>>381347997
>>381348106
I think it goes without saying that in complaining about "fetch quests" people usually mean meaningless lazy crap devs like Bethesda overbloat their games with to give illusion of side content. Of course it's possible to make a good quests with a simple go-return structure, it just doesn't happen often.
>>
>>381343898
What the fuck is there to rpgs other than fetch this, fix that, or kill this guy?
>>
>>381348530
To be fair Bethesda did "radiant quests" with Skyrim and Fallout 4, meaning endless quests about going to a place and clearing it out/getting something from it and going back. It literally changes nothing in the world, unlocks nothing and is pointless.
>>
>>381343898
well you can't have open worlds without fetch quests
>>
>>381346892
More of a travelling salesman problem. If part of the game is trading and stuff like supplies are taken into account you want to do the most stuff with the least travelling required.
>>
>>381345170
Do you finish steps 8 and 9 by killing those fucks after torturing them?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.