[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the past two years I've played FF10, 7 and 9 respectively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: VIII.jpg (182KB, 856x800px) Image search: [Google]
VIII.jpg
182KB, 856x800px
In the past two years I've played FF10, 7 and 9 respectively and I had a wild fucking ride with each of them (and I want to do it again).

Pic related worth playing or nah?
>>
If you enjoyed IX, which is the worst PSX Final Fantasy and a bottom tier game in the series overall, obviously you'll enjoy VIII, one of the top games in the series and the best PSX by a significant margin.
>>
don't listen to people on /v/, just play it and find out for yourself
>>
>>381327486
better plot than IX?

>>381327538
I'm poor so I don't have that luxury
>>
>>381327486
>Unironically this
>>
>>381327356

Well, you'll certainly get a wild ride. Since you know what 3D era FF is supposed to be, you won't get a false impression from VIII, so there's no danger.

Hell, it's no longer the worst FF either.

>>381327753

VIII's plot is the worst or the second worst.

>I'm poor so I don't have that luxury

Oh, I apologize for my earlier flippancy, skip it then. Definitely a waste of money. Go for V or VI next. Not on Steam though.
>>
7, 8, 9 are the only ones worth playing.
>>
>>381327486
don't listen to him OP, this is poorly-crafted bait
>>
>>381329201
IX's plot is far worse than VIII's, which is actually good.

You know, if you actually fucking pay attention.
>>
>>381327356

X is trash. You are unworthy to enjoy any FF.
>>
>>381329295
THIS A THOUSAND TIMES
>>
>>381329384
THIS A MILLION TIMES
>>
It's definitely worth playing. The magic system isn't the best but it's a solid game from before Squaresoft was kill.
>>
Yeah it's definitely worth playing, get on it OP.
>>
>>381329379
"We're all from the same orphanage and never remembered because memory loss is a side effect of magic use"
>>
>>381329379

I don't like the plot (or party members or world) of either, but VIII is worse and I understood what happened in VIII quite fine and paid attention, since I basically played it twice in a row the first time. (Not voluntarily, but still.) I to this day don't understand why anyone would tell said story, but that question made me look anything up I could.
>>
>>381327753
What does your financial stability has to do with playing PSX games?

Download the iso and emulator and go fucking wild.
>>
>>381329295

This
>>
>>381327356

8 is my favorite. You have to be ok with grinding and some weird plot things, but overall it's a fun game to sink a ton of time into.

Also triple triad is inarguably the best card game in any video game ever
>>
>>381329295
This.
>>
>>381327356
aye
>>
>>381327356
It is very much worth it. Enjoy the soundtrack, take it easy, talk to everyone, and yeah, there's a bit of teen-angst involved but don't let that be the main argument to not play it.
>>
Don't forget all the waifu material

Selphie is already claimed btw
>>
>>381329680
GF use. Foreshadowed in several places, good sir. Themes of destiny and fate.
>>
>>381329379
But 9s plot is amazing and refreshingly unique.

The idea that a secret planet is inside your planet and an alien tree is used to turn souls to mist and an angel of death to spread hatred and genocide, only in order to revive the extinct race of that secret planet, is a story I've never heard in fiction before. It is coherent, understandable and logical.

FF8s plot is a fucking mess. Hurr durr travel in time and kill that witch.
>>
File: 1401295036594.jpg (453KB, 1271x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1401295036594.jpg
453KB, 1271x1920px
You're not allowed to like FF8 anymore because that guy called Spoony said it wasn't good.

All the PS1 FF games are pretty fucking decent.
Play Final Fantasy Tactics as well.
>>
>>381332202
It literally was the story for the ff movie though.
>>
>>381332202
>The idea that a secret planet is inside your planet and an alien tree is used to turn souls to mist and an angel of death to spread hatred and genocide, only in order to revive the extinct race of that secret planet, is a story I've never heard in fiction before.

it's contrived nonsensical bullshit like something out of an anime or a YA novel at best
>>
>>381327356
How old are you? If you're under 25 Squal's autistic, loner character may not too close to home.

Over all, FF8 is a great game. It take big risks with the design, the sorry, and the battle system, but it's a pretty unique experience with a comfy, bitter sweet vibe. The story is all about the power of love and friendship, and the ending will leave you feeling pretty nostalgic.
>>
>>381332202
>inside
>>
File: auronreact.jpg (39KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
auronreact.jpg
39KB, 300x200px
>>381329384
>>381329508
>>
>>381327356
Despite what people might say, it's actually not that bad of a game.

Though it's probably the easiest in the series
>>
>>381333936
...oh boy- well I'm playing bloodborne so I guess that might be refreshing
>>
>>381327356
It was the first FF game I ever played, and none of the others have touched it, in my opinion. Only big RPG that I even think of in the same sentence would be Chrono Cross.

Both are highly experimental, so only dive in if you're looking for something different.
>>
>>381334459
experimental in what sense compared to 7, 9 and 10?
>>
>>381334623
The storytelling and the junction system.

To this day, I've never had a combat system that lets you fine tune shit to such extremes. It takes time to get used to, and even more time to experiment with, but when you do, you have control over your character in ways that haven't been seen before or since.
>>
It's definitely a good one OP. Lot's of cool side shit. The card game is really fun and makes the game worth playing by itself.
>>
>>381327356
It's my favorite, but certaninly not the best, in terms of visuals and what it does it super imrepssice and imo it has the best FF OST, optional summons, dungeons, minigame, towns etc.
And Balamb Garden is the best thing that ever happened to FF
>>
>>381334902
I actually got into the card game in IX and I really thought I wouldn't when it was first introduced (because they barely explained it)
>>
>>381327753
Download it for PS1 emulator or pirate the steam version works well with modern OS's just need a readily available fan patch to add in the PS1 music. PC version had really poor quality midi's that sounded awful unless you were running a very specific sound card.

I really wouldn't take /v/'s opinion for anything but especially this game, FFVIII is one of the most polarizing games in the franchise not just on /v/ and people either love it or hate it. It was my first FF and I hadn't finished it until nearly ten years after I started the franchise stopping twice near the end of disc 3. I hated it for awhile but the 3rd time I sat down finally finished the game within a week and after I got in depth with the junction system and side content it just clicked. I ended up loving it.

You really need to try it for yourself to find out whether you like it or not.
>>
>>381335492
cool anon, thanks. downloading the rom now and I'm gonna give it a go.
>>
>>381335492
I played way too young for jrpgs, didnt have internet and thus didnt understand grinding up stats, skip to disc 2 or 3 and suddenly Im trapped in an unwinnable boss battle that I cant level up on without going back to the Disc 1 or 2 save.

Still havent played the rest, watched youtube videos probably a decade later to see what happened. Definitely was my kind of art style, not quite diesel punk, not quite steam punk, just sort of electro-futurism.

Might see if someone's archived a list of FFVIII savegames for PS1 and finally give it another go.
>>
File: 1423610807265.jpg (30KB, 250x339px) Image search: [Google]
1423610807265.jpg
30KB, 250x339px
>>381334750
I really don't get why so many people had trouble with the junction system. It even told you in a few pages which spell works best with what stat.
I honestly think people were just spoiled by the materia system and didn't want to learn anything new.
>>
>>381335620
note that if you do get the steam version, you need to fix the audio - look in the forums, theres a guide with links there.

non playstation audio is an abomination.

Also, be wary of what rules you spread whilst playing triple triad....
>>
>>381336289
I didn't say I had trouble with it.
>>
The only FF games I've played are 3,4,7,&15. What are some other ones I should check out?
>>
>>381332354
No, you're not allowed to like FF8 because it is a fucking clusterfuck with poor writing and no direction at all that can only be somewhat relevant through outlandish fan theory
>>
>>381337375
6, 8, 9, 10.
>>
>>381337375
5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12.
>>
File: 1388760768817.jpg (64KB, 481x496px) Image search: [Google]
1388760768817.jpg
64KB, 481x496px
>>381337212
When did I imply that you did?
I was just saying that one of the big criticism of FF8 was the junction system.
>>
Also curious, any non-FF games that will give me the same level of enjoyment as FF 10 and 7?
>>
>>381338079
I got a lot of enjoyment from Person 4 and 5, as well as that Mana series, and Chrono Cross/Trigger.
>>
>>381338079
Honestly, I played these two before 9 and around 2 hours into it I was thrown into a well of disappointment but it really pulls through after that.
>>
>>381338969
Not him, but I got all the way to the save point just before Trance Kuja in 9, and put the game down. Never picked it back up again. At this point, I've lost the memory card, and I wasn't impressed with 9 enough to give it a second go.

It was all such a chore. Took me over a month to get past the part of the game where they force you to play cards, because I could never figure out the rules, and would put down the game after 10 minutes of getting my ass kicked.
>>
>>381338079
any mario and luigi rpg or baten kaitos origins,
>>
File: ix art 4.jpg (443KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ix art 4.jpg
443KB, 707x1000px
>>381339190
Ahaha, yeah, I had to ask a friend about the card system and it all clicked but they're so fucking awful at explaining that shit.

Liked the game though. Pic related.
>>
>>381327356
Play Xenogears , Grandia and FFVI instead. FFVIII is a slog throughout the whole game. The story is stupid, and the cast is awful. Squall and Seifer are the only decent characters in that train wreck.
>>
>>381338079
No. You can try Valkyria Chronicles with Jap audio
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.