[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi Yesterday i asked why the n64 was more remembered than the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

File: ThreeRace_1321047867.jpg (79KB, 441x396px) Image search: [Google]
ThreeRace_1321047867.jpg
79KB, 441x396px
Hi
Yesterday i asked why the n64 was more remembered than the ps1
now im asking about my generation
if the ps2 is the best selling console of all time
why do so many people online say they had an xbox/gamecube and not a ps2
>>
>>381319863
...because different tastes, backgrounds, and shit?
And some people were idorts, like me?
It's the same thing as asking why the fuck some people own iPhones. Yeah it's mindboggling, but some just do want them.
>>
DS is the best selling console.

PS2 was a lie, the data on Wikipedia is (payed out) from IGN.

And besides, I actually had a gamecube. The difference is that GameCube had the best games, most people did have PS2 though and it's games were decent, but everyone pretends to have an Xbox or cube here because they try to be contrarian to what's popular.
>>
DVD player that plays shovelware on the side
>>
>>381319863
People used the PS2 as a cheap DVD player. thats why it sold so much. The Most sucessful console would actually be the DS going based on games.
>>
>>381319863
PS2 aimed for an older market I think, since it doubled as a CD/DVD player and had more typically adult games (either first or exclusively) like Team ICO's lot, MGS 2 & 3, Vice City or San Andreas etc.

Xbox was more online focused.
>>
>>381319863
The last good gen.
>>
>>381320496
>PS2 was a lie
>GameCube had the best games

seek therapy
>>
The PS2 was a cheap DVD player and most people bought it for that and to maybe play the occasional game on. Also most of the games were utterly forgettable, like most Sony games.

That said I had a PS2 and still do, and there were some real gems there. But good lord the shovelware.
>>
>>381320812
i will always say that the first 3 playstations are the kings of hidden gems
>>
>>381319863
>why do so many people online say they had an xbox/gamecube and not a ps2
Because you're ignoring the people who say that they indeed had a PS2.

Anyway.
>Yesterday i asked why the n64 was more remembered than the ps1
This? >>381241845
OK. Was your question answered? What did you learn from that thread? What are you expecting to learn here?
>>
>>381320973
my question was answered but yes
this is the last thread about this topic
>>
>>381319863
>my generation
>>
Again, this just an american thing. In Europe no one owned an xbox back in the days, and even in Japan Nintendo struggled with the GC
>>
>>381321208
Not to mention that the PS2 was basically the last great console for Japanese arcade game home ports. The DC had its share of good arcade games, yes, but the PS2 simply had more of them, particularly once you included the old game compilations.
>>
>>381321360
now im going to sound like a chad lord right now
but the psp actually had great old game compilations
>>
The PS2 was so ubiquitous, that it's pretty much implied/assumed that everyone had one.
>>
>>381319863
Literally didnt know anyone with a n64 back in the day. I dont think ive seen one in person tbqhfam
>>
File: reob.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
reob.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
I got a Gamecube first, because I was a huge Nintendo fan and its the only* place to play Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 took awhile to come out. Gotta admit I'm kinda salty that every console and their wife's son has the game now. Aside from that it had the best version of Killer 7 and cool exclusives like Eternal Darkness, REmake, Luigi's Mansion, and F-Zero GX.

Secondly, I got an Xbox because they gave them away to people with MSN dial up internet subscriptions. First game I played was Hunter: The Reckoning. I remember the difficulty really amping the fuck up in level 5 and I never completed it. Maybe I'll give it another go. I actually didn't get into online on Xbox aside from playing Halo 2 online at a friends house. On the memorable exclusives side: Bloodwake, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Project Gotham Racing, and Ninja Gaiden Black.

The PS2 was actually the last console I got that generation, and it was also a Resident Evil game that sold me on it. When I went over to my buddies place and saw him playing Resident Evil Outbreak online with 4 other real people I knew I HAD to get the fuck in on this shit. Resident Evil Outbreak defined my late teenage years and the game holds a big place in my heart. It was nice that Alyssa Ashcroft (in red) got a nod in Resident Evil 7. Best part was, online was free unlike Xbox. How things change. Again, memorable exclusives: Rule of Rose, Ridge Racer V, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry 3, Shadow of the Collosus.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>381319863
They were young and/or poor and/or displaced dreamcastfags. GameCube was cheap and Xbox had a bandwagon of DCfags following the Sega games who avoided the PS2 because it was a dad console.
>>
>>381320812
The more popular a console is, the amount of shovel ware is also going to increase. Had the GameCube sold as well as the Wii, it would have been inundated with trash.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 400x300px
>>381319863
So you are just trying to document your own revisioniam and rejection of what really happened and don't even bring any actual citations for what you just said at all? Not even anecdotal examples? Great fantasy thread OP, no really.
>>
>>381320596
>Being this rekt

Why do some of us try so hard to pretend that the worse a console did, the better it was? Look how /vr/ venerate the DreamCast, aparently Bass Fishing, arcade ports and PSone ports is the REAL hardcore.
>>
>>381320640
Got a citation to back that up? Better than, "my grandparents had one just for DVDs so there."
>>
File: Dreamcast-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 4540x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 4540x2200px
>Forgetting about the best console of the gen
For fucking shame OP.

PS2 was widespread in the same way the Wii was. But because of the cheapass DVD player instead of motions controls.
PS2 worked better for the kids who didn't play a ton of games and didn't know better because in hardware the PS2 was to the Xbox and Gamecube much in the same way the Wii was to the PS3 and 360 in terms of powergap. It's exclusives were great, but it has the inferior version of every multiplat from the generation as a result of the powergap.
PS2 was pretty much for normies to have GTA, Guitar Hero, Battlefront, and a few select exclusive.
All of my friends who owned PS2's exclusively don't play video games anymore. My friends who did PS2+Something else all still game.

Meanwhile every kid from that time probably managed to sink over a hundred hours into Melee, Double Dash, Kirby Air Ride, and/or Halo 1. Regardless of if they owned a console that could play those games, and significantly more if they did.

Tl;DR it was proto gen eight. Sony gets the sales and the games are played elsewhere.
>>
>>381324601
>the PS2 was to the Xbox and Gamecube much in the same way the Wii was to the PS3 and 360 in terms of powergap

Holy fucking shit anon wat? And you think this does not apply even harder to the dreamcast? You really want to use power as an argument here?
>>
>>381324920
No the Dreamcast is much weaker. It's like a weird inbetween in hardware from the fifth and sixth gens. Which is exactly why after a certain point (The other sixth gen console showed up) the Dreamcast started to have problems.

PS2 was low power+DvD and sold gangbusters as a result.
>>
>>381325017
>PS2 was low power+DvD and sold gangbusters as a result. But it did mean that the console got shit multiplats*
>>
>>381319863
These threads are hilarious, the harder a product reks the competition, the harder faggots actually make excuses. You would think that with such overwhelming numbers people would just admit that it fucking won, but no. In fact somehow, the worse the other console did the better it was in the eyes of these fools, to the point where we have arseholes who claim that the dreamcast THE FUCKING PSX PORTING, BASS FISHING DREAMCAST is not only better than the PS2, but better than EVERYTHING. Fuck off you nonces.
>>
File: 1485378492113-2.jpg (150KB, 720x504px) Image search: [Google]
1485378492113-2.jpg
150KB, 720x504px
>>381319863
Speaking of PS2, I'm curious. What years does one have to be born in to be considered an "early 2000s kid"?
>>
>>381319863
A significant portion of the people buying PS2s only did it for yearly FIFA releases or to play DVDs. You're less likely to run into these people on say Malaysian doll collecting forums or whatever places you frequent.

Most likely if you ask random people at a football stadium what console they owned in 2003 you'd hear PS2 the most.
>>
File: 1365635555358.jpg (39KB, 307x485px) Image search: [Google]
1365635555358.jpg
39KB, 307x485px
>>381325141
>Sonydronies faced with the reality that the precious PS2 is the normies choice and nobody elses.
>>
File: 1360204365654.jpg (21KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
1360204365654.jpg
21KB, 400x325px
>>381325321
>No gamecube
Melee, Double Dash, and Air Ride were exactly a part of the early 2000s experience you fucking nigger
>>
>>381319863
PS2 was a nigger/weeb console.
Everyone I knew owned either a GC or xbox. All the black kids had a PS2.
Gamecube had the best exclusives. Never mind multiplats always run like ass on Sony consoles.
>>
>>381325507
Yeah with PS2 you wew either a normie or deep down the weeb hole earlier than most
>>
>>381325321
Older than you think. Like 87 to 92.
>>
>>381319863
because you're on nintendogaf, fucking retard
>>
>>381325507
/thread
>>
>>381325565
It was a hardcore dad console like the psx, which fits into both those categories.
>>
>>381325017
So what? And PC is superior to consoles and yet people are making their choice. People keep making this bizzare claim about the PS2's DVD player, YES its a great feature for 2001, but to make up that people just exclusivly used it for ONLY DVD player is absurd.
>>
>>381325787
DVD Player+Key normie franchises like GTA and guiter hero

The exclusives never sold the PS2.
>>
>>381325370
We have all been fucking normies since the NES made video games normie as fuck, don't get it twisted anon. Deciding to play Mario party over GTA III didn't make you more hardcore because people didn't want to play as well.
>>
>>381325894
And aparently the exclusives didn't fucking sell the gamecube or xbox either. Check thise abysmal numbers.
>>
>>381321208
I and a lot of my friends had xboxs in europe. Was a better console imo i also had ps2 and gamecube though
>>
>>381324601
>best console
>dies
If it was so good it shouldn't have died eh?
>>
>>381319863
I had both a N64 and PS1, I liked my PS1 more and have more nostalgia with it, I still occaissionally play it. I also had a PS2 and Xbox. I liked both of those about the same, enjoyed both consoles very much, except my PS2 was an early model so it was defective where after about 6 months or so, the disc reader would stop working and I'd have to send it in to Sony.
>>
>>381326121
This. Im also fed up with how "sony did this to the dreamcast". Fuck off, the dreamcast had two whole years to make a decent playerbase
>>
I bid a dollar because of romainia.

hey hitler
>>
>>381326015
Halo sold the Xbox singlehandedly
>>
>>381326659
Source? And not enough though did it? Ergo, exclusives don't mean shit. Next.
>>
>>381319863
White children bought Xbox and GameCube.

Brown and black children and childless white families bought the PS2
>>
>>381326659

This.

Halo: Combat Evolved WAS the console generation. You saw Snake Eater and you were like "what the fuck is that?"

Your faghole final fantasy was nice and all but that was what was there.
>>
>>381326659
>tfw almost everyone played Halo on Xbox
>tfw I feel so sorry for all those people who never played Halo CE on PC
It's still the best Halo game to this day. Headshotting raging faggots with the pistol on Blood Gulch across the map was the shit.
>>
>>381320496
Ds isn't a console retard. It doesn't sit on a console
>>
>>381326789

You mean that race war you lose every time like coyote and road runner?

meep meep
>>
>>381325017
Still sold more than gamecube
>>
File: Screenshot_20170621-093451.jpg (273KB, 1070x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170621-093451.jpg
273KB, 1070x1018px
>>381326708
Halo built the Xbox into a serious contender for the PS2 you retard, without it the console would have failed, nearly half of all Xbox owners owned Halo
>>
>>381327061
Why are you turning this into an issue of hate? It's a fact that the PS2 was purchased by millions of Brown people due to it's cheap price in other countries. Control your anger towards others, anon.
>>
>>381327109
Nigga I don't care about sales.
Dreamcast=Gamecube>PS2=Xbox
>>
>>381327224

After.

It doesn't count after Brazil.

>why won't they count our bootleg consoles? we are legit really please say we are!

No.

I'm not coming to your fake fucking country, to meet your people.
>>
>>381327109
>Console sold more so it must be better!
No, that's not how it works. This just means they had better marketing for normies to eat up. Look at Sony and the PS4, no one bought one for exclusives, they all bought one to play CoD and GTAV with their buddies.
>>
>>381327542

>normies

You are one. Go completely fuck yourself you complete child.
>>
>>381326789
Why the fuck do we even have these threads if we are just going to make shit up?
>>
>>381327646
Wow rude
>>
>>381327646
?
What are you so mad about?
>>
>>381327542
>Console sold less, so it must be better!

Also how it doesn't work fagtard. Only at least they have actual figures to back up their argument. You have an opinion.
>>
>>381327687
Do you have any control over your emotions? You seem triggered beyond expression.
>>
>>381319863
Everyone owned a PS2. Autistic kids owned a Gamecube. THAT KID owned an Xbox.
>>
>>381327801
>>381327748

Boo hoo faggots.

Didn't get your trolls in order? you fucking cunts?

Nobody should fuck around.
>>
>>381327843
>>381327646
Holy shit I wasn't even trying to trigger you Sonyfriends.
Calm your tits m8s.
>>
>>381319863
Because not everyone had the same consoles growing up? jesus
>>
>>381327885

They're not used to real people.Beating the shit out of them is going to be a real thing that has no lawyer.

>hey I have one

Is that before or after you're slammed into a concrete wall? Life doesn't play games.
>>
>>381327943
You're incapable of communication with others without getting furious. Imagine being that retarded.
>>
>>381328005
>people should not reply to me or they are triggered
>>
Women, they just don't get it.

No I don't like you, and it's a hard fuck with you.

Rather, I'd prefer not to fuck you at all. I'll ask somebody else. You're not worth half a fuck with your half-tooth rhino fuckface where you think somehow, you'll get somebody better.
>>
>>381328453
>Read most normies own PS4 as multiplat machine
>Can't handle the truth
>Get mad
>"Oh but I wasn't triggered"
Are you actually retarded or merely pretending?
>>
>>381323868
Not the same guy, but I thought it was pretty well-known that a lot of people bought the PS2 because it had the convenience of being both a console and a DVD player. According to this graph (http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=497), the average purchasing price of a DVD player in 2000 was around ~$225. Now, since the PS2 launched for $299, it makes sense that someone would buy it simply because for about $75 over the average price, you got both a DVD player and a console.
>>
File: 1362197819277.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1362197819277.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>PS2 tries to claim to be the longest running console when Melee exist
The universe will end and a Melee tournament will be schedule for the next day.

The gamecube will live on as one of the best local multiplayer consoles of choice for all time.
There's a reason Dolphin blows PS2 emulation out of the water, more people want their Gamecube games because they're STILL playing them. The PS2 has a lot of games sure and a lot of JRPGs that have a lot of playtime. But JRPGs only have so much playtime, if a JRPG has one hundred hours of gameplay in it my playtime in Kirby Air Ride is AT LEAST 10 PS2 JRPGs. I can't even begin to guess my playtime in Melee but it's significantly more than Kirby Air Ride. Mario Kart Double Dash is up there too. So was Godzilla destroy all monster melee. F Zero GX. The original Lego Star Wars games. Star Fox Assault. Soul Calibur 2.
And on top of that there's singleplayer content like Animal Crossing, 2 of the best Pokemon rpgs, 2 zelda's, Viewtiful Joe 1+2, Fire Emblem games, a fuckload of stuff you can get a ton of playtime in. And some great shorter experiences like Luigi's mansion to round things out.

Everyone I know who has a Gamecube still plays it.
>>
>>381328965
I'd argue that the reason Dolphin "blows PS2 emulation out of the water" is quite literally because the PS2's architecture is more complex (not in a good way, necessarily) in comparison to the Wii/GC and far more taxing on system resources. I don't really see how the amount of games affects development.
>>
>>381328836
>you spend more
>therefore it was cheaper

Fucking no, just no, this is new retard logic. When i was 12 i had a PS2 in my room, my dad STILL had a dvd player for him to ise downstairs because "why would i want a stupid kids toy? I don't play video games."

We have somehow moved on from "nah i lt was cheaper and no one actually played the games" to "it was actually more expensive but hey people could now play games!" So which fucking is it?
>>
>>381328802
Hardly anyone buys consoles for exclusives, whats your point?
>>
I preferred to say it.

Al Madrigal is a fucking complete hack. Bill Burr should kick him to the curb. He is 100% without talent.

Complete, mealy fucking twat.
>>
>>381329747
When did I make that claim at all? I said that it makes more sense to pay slightly more for a multipurpose device.
>>
>>381329354
Demand drives emulation
>>
>>381329921

Motherfucker actually has the audacity to call anything he does an act.

THERE IS LITERALLY NONE.

Has the audacity to call other people's shows less than an act. Then "AAAAYYY here are some shitty jokes I made up in a writing room."

He I 100%, a piece of shit.
>>
>>381329747
Most people aren't as stupid as your dad and refused to pay 500$ for a DVD player + a kids toy when they could get a machine that does both for less.
>>
>>381330051
Not if you don't want that shit anon. If i wanted a phone, and you told me for just £100 more i could also have a tablet of the same brand included i wouldn't take that deal, i don't want or need it.
>>
>>381330604
Right but the "toy" was for me, and he had already had a DVD player as early as 2000. Maybe its just a poor thing, we already had a DVD player.
>>
>>381319863
Every one of my friends had a PS1, only 2 had n64s.

Every one of my friends had a PS2, only 1 had a Gamecube and another an xbox.

However, this probably had more to do with our age range. The target audience had migrated older and the games for the PS2 were starting to aim more towards highschool/college students.

That said, it probably has to do with where you are hearing people say they only own X or Y. Just as I really didn't know anyone who had the non Sony consoles, it's entirely possible to have groups of people who didn't really know people with PS2s or PS1s.

Funnily enough, I just finished playing AC3/SL on my PS2 the other day, and am currently running through Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.
>>
File: 1496599865333.png (74KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1496599865333.png
74KB, 300x256px
>>381331097
>Every one of my friends had a PS1, only 2 had n64s.
>Every one of my friends had a PS2, only 1 had a Gamecube and another an xbox.
Was literally going to write these exact same sentences with the exact same numbers just now.
>>
File: shovelware.png (32KB, 417x551px) Image search: [Google]
shovelware.png
32KB, 417x551px
ps2 has no ga-
>>
>>381331627
I would generalize, but are you from either Canada or Europe. I suspect the proportion of Sony consoles may be higher in those regions.
>>
File: shovelware2.png (19KB, 378x412px) Image search: [Google]
shovelware2.png
19KB, 378x412px
>>381332396
>>
>>381319863
>ITT nintenbros in charge of rewriting history
>>
File: 1440064466888.png (275KB, 546x458px) Image search: [Google]
1440064466888.png
275KB, 546x458px
You could not cram more shitposting, pointless feces flinging and retarded baits with so many replies in a single thread.

/v/ is fucking dreadful.
>>
>>381320812
PS2 had a large and diverse game library. Nintendo fags love to use the

>i....it only sold because it was a cheap DVD player

As was the Xbox, so why did the PS2 slaughter it as well?

>b....but at least the GC had games
Actually it didn't. Check the total games it had. It had the smallest library of any major home console the past 20 years. It had no games.
>>
>>381328802
Multiplats sale consoles. Only Nintendo fags don't get this. There is a reason Nintendo has finished dead last 2 of the last 3 gens.
>>
>>381319863
Because /v/ and everywhere else like it is filled with Nintendo cultists who have known nothing other than having a Nintendo console first over other platforms. And Xbox was most popular in the US and gaming forums are dominated by Americans
>>
>>381327542
It actually is how it works. If a console sells better it gets more games. Some of these games will be good. So a console that sells more will have more good games.
>>
>>381328836
A cheap DVD player was a 100 bucks in 2000 and 50 bucks in 2002. Fucking kill yourself underage.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.