[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the honeymoon is over, did anyone else feel tremendously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 32

File: BOTW-Share_icon.jpg (237KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
BOTW-Share_icon.jpg
237KB, 1200x630px
Now that the honeymoon is over, did anyone else feel tremendously disappointed by this game?

I found it more neat and novel than actually fun to play. The first few hours were amazing, but then it started feeling like I was simply going through the motions. The one thing that legitimately deserves the amount of praise it gets is the map, it's pretty much the greatest open world map ever created, everything else felt like it ranged from ok to mediocre. Shrines were sometimes great, but there were too many shitty ones, which made me not want to do them. OST was fine, but for a Zelda game I honestly wanted something more memorable. Too many fetch quests, not enough enemy variety, shitty voice acting, divine beasts were a shitty twists on dungeons. The game really kind of left me cold.

Like I said, I found the game more "neat" than anything else; the attention to detail and how it had some really cool ideas was impressive. But when it comes to simply being an enjoyable video game it really didn't do it for me.
>>
File: 1492349095594.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1492349095594.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>>381318018
(You)
>>
>>381318134
You can't (You) the OP dumbass.
>>
File: 1496629043963.jpg (251KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496629043963.jpg
251KB, 1280x800px
>>381318018
I loved it and still play it from time to time to just explore the world. Nice story, beautiful landscape and my favourite Zelda sans LA.
>>
>>381318018
How many times are you going to post this
>>
>>381318134
This. Always this. These shitty bait threads will never die. /v/ continually complains about the game but cannot find any REAL faults so instead resorts to desperation. Imagine the ass sting around here it wins GOTY.
>>
>>381318018
I bought it, played it for an hour and a half, dropped it, never picked it back up again
>>
>tfw skyward sword is still your favorite zelda game and breath of the wild was a huge disappointment despite being built up as the game of the century
>>
>>381318679
>shitty shrines (not all but many)
>low enemy variety
>divine beasts are poor excuses for dungeons, there are no real zelda dungeons in the game
>bad voice acting
>shitty side quests (too much fetch questing)

These are REAL faults with the game.
Go watch Joseph Anderson's critique of BotW on youtube if you're still to dumb to understand what is being said to you.
>>
>>381318018
No because I'm not pessimistic about Vidya

Solid 9/10 through and through
>>
>>381319165
>go and join me in blowing my favorite youtuber and donate to his patreon
>>
>>381319165
>taking critic straight from another person to form opinions

Christ anon
>>
>>381319165
KEK
>>
>>381319165
Them changing the core fundamentals of the game is something that was drastically needed at this point. OoT came out in 1998 and that was already a 3D version of LTTP, which is fine since 3D changes absolutely everything, but after decades of the same game formula I'm extremely fucking glad I didn't get a collection of dungeons I have to proceed through in a linear fashion while collecting one time use items.
>>
File: zelda.jpg (347KB, 1500x801px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
347KB, 1500x801px
>>381319165
>low enemy variety

Why do people keep spouting this meme?
BotW had normal enemy variety for a zelda game. It was better than something like Skyward Sword where you were fighting bokoblins in every fucking area. People like to meme that "omg palette swaps" but 75% of the enemies in zeldas like ALTTP were just recycled assets with different colors or sometimes different weapons. And unlike those, the different weapon enemies in Zelda actually have different movesets for different classes of weapons, and that even includes enemies that aren't hooked into the normal weapon pickup engine like Lynels, who have 3 different movesets for Crusher / Spear / Sword
>>
>>381319165
>These are REAL faults with the game.

No they aren't faults.
>>
>>381319386
Anyone with half a brain already had those opinions after finishing BotW.
>>
>>381319165
>>shitty shrines (not all but many)
Personal opinion. Not a fault.
>>low enemy variety
A deliberate design choice, a callback to the original NES game which BotW is evocative of.
>>divine beasts are poor excuses for dungeons, there are no real zelda dungeons in the game
The devine beasts are fine. They're not as good or memorable as the themed dungeons of older Zelda games but they're their own thing. Nintendo wanted the game to be complete break from convention.
>>bad voice acting
Very game with voice acting is shitty. Really desperate if you're bringing this up as a 'fault'.
>>shitty side quests (too much fetch questing)
Personal opinion. The quests are of the same involvment and compelxity and the quests from any Zelda. And you're not forced to do any of them if you don't want to.

Overall, it's the same nonsense of people desperately trying to elevate minor nitpicks and pretend they're MASSIVE GAME BREAKING FAULTS. It's boring having to reply to these threads now.
>>
>>381319742
Good retort.

"These are the things that are bad with the game"

"No those aren't bad"
>>
>>381320171
>Nintendo wanted to call back to the NES game!

>Nintendo wanted this game to completely break from convention

Pick one
>>
>>381320171
The game has fantastic exploration because of the best open world map to ever be created in an open world game, that alone might be reason enough for it to win game of the year.

However those faults are still major problems.
>>
>>381318679
How the fuck is it bait? I enjoyed the game but OP provided perfectly reasonable reasons as to why they were disappointed. Mongs like you that can't accept criticism towards the things you like are beyond saving.
>>
played to 2 hours and that constant weapon breaking made me ragequit. dumbest shit ever
>>
>>381320494
The 'conventions' of the series came AFTER the NES original.

>Themed dungeons
>Dungeons progression fenced with item discovery
>Overworld progression fenced with item discovery
>Linearity

And so on.
>>
File: 1491362111112.jpg (39KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
1491362111112.jpg
39KB, 640x470px
>>381319531
>let's take a closed but expansive world full of sidequests and likeable characters with recognisable dungeons, each with their own aesthetic
>let's take that and make it an empty open world with a homogeneous design and full of quantity over quality shrines! remove proper dungeons too lol
w o w, amazing change. the series really needed that!
>>
>>381320729
Only one of those things you mentioned does not pertain to the NES game. Looks like you've never even played it
>>
>"this is the hardest zelda game!!!!!"
how is this a real thing that I've read on this board
>>
File: LsHAinn.gif (957KB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
LsHAinn.gif
957KB, 500x209px
>>381320504
>However those faults are still major problems.
No
>>
>>381320171
>entire defence is literally just "y-yeah well that's just like your opinion man!" Would you be willing to have a proper discussion if that anon left a disclaimer saying "these are faults for me in my opinion, my views are my own and do not pertain to the quality of said product" at the end of their post instead, you sensitive nonce?
>>
>>381320494

Zelda has held to an entirely different convention from the first two games for a very long time. Both statements can be true.
>>
>>381320952
ebin reactor gif
>>
>>381320741
You have to be on some next level delusion to say OoT and its clones had better sidequests and absolutely insane to use the phrase empty in relation to BoTW in comparison.
>>
>>381320801
Fuck off. I've been playing Zelda since before you were born. I KNOW I'm right.
>>
>>381319724
Every new area of Bloodborne introduces new enemy types.

The only thing we get in Zelda are some lazy elemental variants. You can see almost all enemies the game has to offer within 5 hours of playing.
>>
>>381321354
And Bloodborne is a completely different game, what a pointless comparison.
>>
>>381321410
Wrong, they are both JRPGs.

For each different region in BotW there should be different enemies. We go to the Ori, but there's no special enemies. We go to Gerudo and there's 4 sandworms and that's it. We go to Death Mountain and there's NOTHING new. Mind bogglingly boring.
>>
>>381320981
The point is that it IS personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and Nintendo can't please all the people all the time. But some opinions hold more water than others because they're backed up with reason and accountability.

If you don't like the game then fine, you don't have to like EVERY FUCKING THING. But are you so egotistical that you think YOUR opinion outweighs all the overwhelmingly positive praise and adulation from every facet of the gaming industry?

Like everyone else, you haven't named a single fault, nothing which can't be waved away as a minor nitpick which wouldn't even be mentioned against any other game. But the desperation to find some - ANY - kind of issue with the game soon leads to retardation. Pic related.

tl/dr; If you don't like it then fine, play something else. But don't try and pretend everyone else is wrong.
>>
Everytime, it's like people try to convince others the game is bad and everyone who likes it is wrong
>>
>>381321572
Neither are JRPGs, even if they were they are still completely different on basically every level except for the basic combat mechanics which they both borrow from OoT.
>>
>>381321354
Lynels, moldugas, dragons, guardian skywatchers, yiga footsoldiers, yiga blademasters, cursed all get introduced slowly as the game rolls out if you aren't sequence breaking
>>
File: 1496001361789.png (145KB, 355x497px)
1496001361789.png
145KB, 355x497px
No, it's my favorite game of all time.

I'm actually disappointed in Persona 5.
I had a great time with it, the palaces and characters were great and the OST is one if Shoji's best, but some of the writing just really rubbed me the wrong way.
Not the translation but some of the very dumb things characters say over and over, like "do you think we changed his heart?" literally every day until the deadline.

I was so excited for this game but it had so many flaws that I ultimately forgot about it once I had beaten it, whereas I'm very excited to revisit Zelda once the story DLC is out.
>>
I'm not far in. I keep hoping I'm going to walk into something good and the game starts but right now it's literally just Ubisoft levels of tedious. Travel to X, talk to Y, do a shrine or outpost along the way. Nothing has been fun so far.

Realistically can I beat this without doing Shrines?
>>
>>381321667
JRPG = JAPANESE ROLE PLAYING GAME

BotW = Made by Japanese developers, is a role playing game

Bloodborne = Made by Japanese developers, is a role playing game

Therefore => BotW and Bloodborne are JRPGs.
>>
>>381321791
Yes you dumb fuck, why do people play it like ticking shit off a checklist. The game is much better if you don't force yourself to do shit
>>
>>381321645
By this point, I'm convinced there are only 2 types of people. Those who enjoy BotW and those who are mad that others enjoy BotW.
>>
>>381321791
The game can last 1 hour or 200 hours. It's up to you. My advice is to go play cowadooty. Sounds like more your thing
>>
>>381321837
Fuck no, both are more action based than number and strategy based
>>
>>381320858
People who literally had the Wii as their first Nintendo platform and have experienced nothing but hand-holding.
>>
>>381321859
I played it with a guide because that's how I enjoy to play open world memes. If I want to walk around I don't do that in a video game, I can do that in real life. I never understood why people autistically walk around empty virtual worlds.
>>
>>381321853
Because that's what the game encourages you to do. Because if I dint do that I haven't done 70% of it ge game and it feels like bad value for money.
>>
>>381321898
This fan base us the most pathetic of any on earth, holy shot. You people are actually worse than Sony fans.
>>
>>381318018
It's been 3 months, anyone who played it had already moved on other games.
You should too, get over it.

Damn you know when a game was a successful hit when /v/ makes complaint thread every 5 hours all day months after release.
>>
>>381321961
Just abandon this mentality, it will make every single game a chore if you force yourself to do everything.
>>
>>381321941
How do you use a guide? That's sounds like an absolutely dismal time to me if that's what I think it means
>>
>>381321941
If you don't like open world games why even try this game?
>>
>>381322329
The first thing I did was unlock all the towers. Then I used the guidebook to find the individual shrines. Once I did all the shrines I did the main storyline. After I did the main storyline I finished all 76, I looked up the locations with a guide. Then I finished the memories and was done after 80 hours.

I just don't enjoy walking around and wasting time. I want to have a clear objective.
>>
/V/ I HAVE A CHALLENGE FOR YOU

Name TRAPS that exist in breath of the wild
For example in Link to the Past:
>Bottomless pits
>Antifairies
>Beamos
>Blade trap
>Big blade trap
>Ground spikes
>Boulders
>Sphere launcher
>Quicksand
>Sliding ice floors
>Spinning flamethrower
>Spiked rollers
etc etc etc, theres more

Now how many TRAPS can you name in breath of the wild?
>>
>>381318018
I had many problems with the game, but I won't get into it, cause faggots like this one >>381318679 make it impossible to have a proper discussion of the game.
>>
File: no.jpg (35KB, 370x336px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
35KB, 370x336px
>>381322616
>>
>>381322616
really makes me think
>>
File: botw2.png (1MB, 986x1378px) Image search: [Google]
botw2.png
1MB, 986x1378px
>>381318018
>>
>Nintendo's revolutionary game is a bunch of open world tropes stolen from games from ten years ago
Never underestimate the power of nostalgia. If BotW had slightly different characters /v/ would collectively dump ass on it all day every day.
>>
File: 1496545765636.png (8KB, 268x286px) Image search: [Google]
1496545765636.png
8KB, 268x286px
>>381322616
Pic related
Spike Balls
Lava Pits
Bottomless Pits
Sphere Launchers
Several Electricity traps
Weather effects like lightning zapping you and bursting into flames on Death Mountain

More that I can't remember
>>
>>381322756
>this non argument again
>>
File: FOREVER_ASSBLASTED-1.jpg (468KB, 1000x532px) Image search: [Google]
FOREVER_ASSBLASTED-1.jpg
468KB, 1000x532px
>>381322746
>>
>>381322714
Its precisely why BotW feels like it has no actual dungeon gameplay
because even in the minidungeons like shrines and divine beasts, there's never anything trying to kill you. No traps, no enemies, its just empty physics playground rooms like Portal, and even portal had turrets

there's one or two large shrines with trap running segments and thats it
>>
>>381321837
well shit I guess since I play the role of mario in a japanese game mario's a fuckin' JRPG
let's keep moving these goalposts I wonder how far they can go
>>
>>381322864
>I cannot refute this so I will say it doesn't matter.
Literally nothing in it is new except for having voice acting in a Zelda game and the music being meh instead of great.
>>
>>381321131
Lmao nice try retard. Oh so you don't think you need certain pieces of equipment to access certain parts of certain dungeons? Go ahead and go straight to the final dungeon for me then and try to be beat it. Dumb ass dip shit. You don't know shit about what you're talking about
>>
>>381322937
>Can't go into the fortress
>Cave has a shrine inside.

That image really doesn't help.
>>
>>381322996
Why bother refuting it when you've likely already posted it before and got the same response?
>>
>>381321837
>Made by Japanese developers
Yes
>is a role playing game
No
>>
>>381322937
There might as well have been nothing on top of that "castle". The whole game is filler
>>
>>381322610
BotW is probably the worst game to play with that mindset and I'm surprised you even lasted 80 hours after all that if that's how you played it.
>>
>>381323087
I've posted this once before and got the same response: "Nuh uh!" You don't have a leg to stand on so you refuse to engage in the debate. Name me one thing that is in BotW that wasn't already done in another game man, just one.
>>
>>381322951
Now I suddenly realize what's missing. True, there's not anything that can harm you in the world. In the desert there's no quicksand, in the snow there's no avalanches...I wonder what they spent all their budget on.
>>
>>381323083
>cave has an indoor dungeon
and whats wrong with that exactly?
>>
>>381323234
>"dungeon"
>>
>>381323193
>I wonder what they spent all their budget on.
Learning to make an open world. To have gotten to this standard their first time out you just know they had to have thrown three or more maps into the trash.
>>
>>381323147
I enjoyed myself though. After a number of open world games I completely lost interest in "exploring".
>>
>>381323328
Then stop playing open world games and play metroidvanias.
>>
>>381323191
Your argument is completely pointless because it ignores the quality and variety of content.
>>
>>381319414
Based Joseph. Reddit is shit.
>>
>>381323527
>based
No redditor is based, go back there with your dear youtuber
>>
>>381323469
>quality
Not hard when you're copying other people for everything.
>variety
What fucking game did you play?
>muh shrines
>muh seeds
>muh 3 pseudo-dungeons
>muh handful of shitty quests
The game is the Ubisoft formula that /v/ hates, but I guess it's ok when Japan does it. Shit, they even wholesale ripped off the towers.
>>
>>381323083
>>381323102

Image on the left is an old painting ( A PAINTING!) from ALTTP depicting a promise of high adventure and exploration.

BotW delivers that promise.

>Nooooooooo! That doesn't count!

BTFO everytime. Pathetic.
>>
>>381318018
I don't fully agree with your post but at least you actually made some valid points instead of just outright shitposting, so here's a friendly (You).
>>
>>381323394
Metroidvania design is infinitely superior to open world. The ability to sequence break, while still having open exploration despite being pushed through an optimal direction, and having meticulously placed enemies to challenge you is way better than the shit we got in BotW.

There is a blurred line between Open World and Linear design, and most games should seek to straddle that line. Not go to either extreme. Last gen was the gen of corridors, both FFXIII and Skyward Sword were the most linear games in their franchises, and this gen is the gen of big, empty, shallow, sandboxes. It's like devs just don't get it, and went in the exact opposite direction.

Open World doesn't suit Zelda, at all. Even the first one had a specific order in which to play.
>>
>>381323698
Are you even aware of what level of non arguments you are on right now? By your logic Hydlide is a better game than Zelda 1 because Hydlide was the game Nintendo copied to make Zelda 1 and therefore its worse by default.
>>
>>381322854
Don't forget the random Yiga ambushes.
>>
>>381323873
>this hypocrisy
So you're saying that all Ubisoft needs to do to make a 10/10 game of the decade is polish their presentation? LMAO kill yourself kid, this is fucking pathetic.
>>
It makes absolute 0 sense to me why they trimmed features from the game because of the Switch up-port.

>make features that hinge on having a controller with a screen
>new system also has a controller with a screen
>remove features anyway

You could say that it had to be changed with the Switch in mind so that the final game could be played in fully portable mode, but why not keep the features for when you have a TV and then let it play the way that the final product currently does when you don't have two displays?
>>
>>381324003
Is presentation the only thing that determines quality to you? Most people look beyond that.
>>
>>381323716
>Implying that castle that isn't even a castle is worth exploring

>Implying it's an "adventure" to slowly climb said "castle" with no unique or interesting reward at the top

>Implying a screenshot shows anything about gameplay which is where you would get exploration and adventure from

If you want to defend these points, get a better argument. Matching a painting to a screenshot means zero. Good try though
>>
>>381324058
That's what you're arguing you delusional cuck, or can you not keep track of your own shifting goalposts? BotW is an Ubi game with a Nintendo spit-shine which is apparently all it takes to make it the greatest game ever.
>>
>>381318018
these seem like mostly valid points. Not everyone experiences games the same way. I think it's one of the greatest games I've ever played but maybe I just played it differently than you did or I just looked at different things. Hope you like Mario more, OP
>>
nah its a 10
>>
>>381324136
They are superficially similar in the same way that Bubsy and Mario are. Once again you fail to understand the very basic concept of quality somehow.
>>
>>381324003
Stop arguing with a strawman, he was talking about how faulty your logic of revolutionary = pure invention was and you reply with this nonsense about presentation?
>>381324136
By nintendo spit-shine you mean having an engine for physics and another one for elemental properties and their interaction with materials? This sounds like more of a core componen than a spit-shine but suit yourself
>>
>>381324113
>Matching a painting to a screenshot means zero.

It's the entire fucking point. What do you think a painting is? It's IMAGERY. And BotW finally brought that imagery to life.

Keep crying. You have no argument and will be forever salty because Nintendo made a good game. Oh dear.
>>
>>381324382
My god a painting does not convert to gameplay you fucking retard. "Look! A screenshot of a castle! That PROVES this game has great exploration and adventure!"

I play games to determine how fun or good they are, not look at some gay ass painting. You're a dumb fuck
>>
>>381324257
>he thinks these are anything but basic-ass features that have been in games for more than a generation
>>
>>381318018
shit story, shit durability system, shit "dungeons", shit gadgets

they took away everything that made Zelda a great game and fell for "larger and emptier is better" open world logic
>>
>>381324519
>the absolute only metric for a game's quality is pure originality
You are stupid.
>>
>>381324519
Mention more games with what I mentioned, please, I'd love to know about them. Of course the physics need to be as sophisticated as Zelda's, and the interaction between elements and materials needs to be as sophisticated as well, and they have to have both, at the same time, since they're so basic otherwise you'd be full of shit, and you're not full of shit, are you?
>>
>Now that all my previous attempts to shitpost about this game went stale or got debunked after 10 minutes how about a new bait post?

Lets see:
Before the game was released:
>Zelda BotW will be shit SS was pure shit this wont be better
or
>Look at this compressed Youtube picture HAHA WOW So this is the power of the Switch in 2017

After the game was released:
>HAHAHA who cares about the bought paid reviwes look at the user score this is important

Before the game sold like hot cupcakes:
>The sales will be shit and Zelda is dead for everybody under 25. Face it
>>
>>381324498
A PAINTING doesn't convert to gameplay you desperate child.

Those paintings from the early Zelda manuals were literally drawn to convey a sense of high adventure and exploration which the game itself couldn't convey because of technical limitations.

BotW is the realistion of that imagery. Just admit you lost and stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>381322937
>/v/ pretends I got
>uses the crappy shrine and lynel picture
the odds of finding a korok over those two is 9 to 1
>>
>>381318018
>Now that the honeymoon is over, did anyone else feel tremendously disappointed by this game?
I felt tremendously disappointed with every previous 3D zelda title as they became more and more handholdy while simultaneously easier and easier, actually. Culminating with SS in a complete mess of dog shit.

This is the first sign of a 3d zelda that actually tries to compete with the quality of LoZ1.

Try doing a nostalgia check, perhaps. No 3d zelda was ever particularly good outside of being a sub-genre that's always under-represented.
While this one is rough in many corners, the core engine/gameplay is great, much better than any 3d zelda ever had to offer at their best.
>>
>>381324653
DD:DA does both, and has better everything else as well.
>>
>>381319165
>there are no real zelda dungeons in the game
Good, they always were the worst part of 3d zeldas. Shit like the map+compass is way too gamey and kills immersion.
>>
>>381323621
>says reddit is shit
>he's a redditor
Ok. Sure.
>>
>>381324852
You clearly have only played one of the two games in question, the only thing I'm not certain of is which one.
>>
>>381324718
How many times do I have to repeat my point before you understand it. An IMAGE that "portrays adventure and exploration" is not the same as a GAME that HAS adventure and exploration.

Who the fuck cares that it was in a Zelda manual? That "castle" in the actual game was literally nothing. Imagery means jack shit when it comes to actual gameplay. Stop trying to convince me how cool a picture is and start talking about the actual game you fucking tard
>>
>>381322937
>>381324775
forgot to mention that that perfectly describes the what you actually got for the top one as well since its just a cylinder with koroks placed all over it not an actual dungeon. The /v/ pretends I got image is actually better than the I got image since a shrine at least has a chance of having a fun puzzle inside.
>>
>>381324658
I see /v/'s current state of 100% fanboy flame warring nowadays has jarred people's recollection of the past. There was obscene hype for this game. The majority opinion was that it looked like the first really good game the series would have in a very long time, and people got pissed anytime there was a major event or Direct where it didn't show.

You're basically summarizing an entire sequence of events with your sole basis being the shitposting scabs on much larger threads, which says something for how much shittier this place has gotten with its influx of newfags from social media who don't know the old saying "don't feed the trolls" much less have it as part of their online vernacular.
>>
>>381318018

Absolutely. The content tends to feel watered down as if to fill the space the game insists on taking up. You walk more and do less and the shit you do is never as in depth as a game that takes care to craft more curated scenarios.

Good example is taking MGSV:GZ and MGSV:TPP. Ground Zeroes is the best fortress between the two games by far.

Similarly, BotW would only benefit by taking its core mechanics (the physics based shit is fantastic) and focusing it into 8 or 12 dungeons designed to test the player's problem solving, exploratory, and technical mastery of the game.

And on this note, the locations can and often do look great but the game makes you walk traverse and do nothing with vast stretches of those areas. They overstay their welcome. There's no focus.

The game is Zelda: Meandering Edition. And the devs knew it. They knew the space had to be filled so they padded it out with tiers of weapons and armor AND made them consumables so they'd never be redundant by the vast world offering them too much.

When you make a game so large that you can't sufficiently fill it with -unique- rewards not too far apart from one another you have a fucking problem. A problem the very first fucking Zelda avoided while still being a Goddamned sandbox.

It's a great game but a better sense of focus would have only made it better.
>>
BOTW has ruined all open world games like Witcher 3 and HZD for me.
Bought Horizon Zero Dawn during the E3 sale last week, and I've put maybe 15-20 hours into it. I finished BOTW then went back to HZD. I cant take it seriously after BOTW.
I am constantly jumping against random walls to try and climb them
I am constantly venturing into strange and difficult-to-access parts of the map and being disappointed when there's nothing there, not even a Korok Seed OR something to discover
I am also constantly marveling at how good the weather animation is in HZD, but keep expecting to be struck by lightning during every storm. I feel no fear or nothing wherever I am.
And when I go back to MGSV to try and finish it, or Blood and Wine, or Xenoblade Chronicles X... it's the same damned thing.
Breath of the Wild has really ruined open world games for me. Nintendo has set a brand new standard, and it is just too, too high.
Nintendo has literally set a new fuckin standard. Open world skyrim clones literally don't feel the same after this game, this game will be remembered 10 years down the line. Honestly, I'm left unsatisfied by how empty other games are. The focus on hyperinteractivity in the environment has changed open world forever.
Anyone else know this feel?
>>
>>381324852
I own both DD:DA and BotW and this is false.
>>
>>381324658
BotW does look like shit while also running mediocre, though. The Switch is infact a weak system for its price. The home dock needed to be an hardware station that added juice to the performance of the handheld.

Still a good game, but yeah, it looks like shit and doesn't even begin to compare to other other world games visually.
>>
>>381324963
This nigger gets it.
>>
>>381318018
If I answer that it was the biggest disappointment of 2017, would you STOP FUCKING ASKING THIS DAMN QUESTION
>>
File: 1498002303237.gif (3MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498002303237.gif
3MB, 480x320px
Almost 4 months later and kiddies on a chink image board are still crying because they got BTFO by Nintendo.

This will never stop being hilarious.
>>
>>381325049
Same here, I expect every open world game to let me burn grass and make updrafts and when it doesn't happen I feel like I'm playing a shallow pos.
Zelda ruined open world games for me.
>>
It's funny seeing the complaints of "what the game does" as if people let their experience be dictated solely by how the game directed them to points of interest like they were playing one of the other, hand-holdy 3D Zeldas. You're supposed to make your own voyage, fuckos. This game is a toybox. You're given a set of tools that are built to be applied in a litany of different ways so that the player can dictate what kind of experience they have. It'd be bold to say "if it's boring then the way you're playing it is boring," since this certainly doesn't absolve it from any and all flaws, but there's some truth to it. Give complete freedom to man with no imagination and he'll find himself prisoner of the world.
>>
>>381320171
Look, I LOVED this game, had a ton of fun with it, but just because a game is great doesn't mean it's perfect. They did a million different little things right with it, but there are a few areas for potential improvement, and the OP's concerns are valid.

>shitty shrines (not all but many)
>Personal opinion. Not a fault.
I don't agree that there were a "lot" of shitty shrines, I thought most were good, but there were definitely a few crap ones. They should have designed 120 and probably just kept the 80 or 90 best ones. (Or designed 200 and kept 120).

>low enemy variety
>A deliberate design choice, a callback to the original NES game which BotW is evocative of.
Except it's not. Legend of Zelda on the NES has a lot more enemy variety than BotW. Now that doesn't mean all those old enemy types are great designs, but there were a TON of them. And some of them actually got LESS interesting (like moblins going from bulldogmen with magic throwing spears to essentially just bigger bokoblins here).

>divine beasts are poor excuses for dungeons, there are no real zelda dungeons in the game
>The devine beasts are fine
Matter of opinion, but I did miss the inclusion of dungeons. It's a notable void, because the whole game really DOES feel like a callback to the original LoZ, but that game had an underworld that was as big and detailed as the overworld. This new hyrule barely has a cave to call its own.

>Every game with voice acting is shitty.
That doesn't even make sense? There are plenty of games with good voice acting. BotW's is weak on average, and it's just so damn UNEVEN. Like, either have the little speaky noises with text, or have full voice, but pick one. It's so jarring when a character jumps from full voice to text only (like the king in the beginning).

>shitty side quests
I agree the side quests were generally fine.
>>
File: bart_christmas.gif (937KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
bart_christmas.gif
937KB, 475x356px
>>381318018
Yeah.
I've beaten shitGanon and the strongest Lynel I could find and have like half the shrines and 600 seeds left or so. But I don't want to continue playing this game. Because I know exactly how the rest will play out and it's fucking boring.

"You can go everywhere from the start" and "You have all the tools from the start" are fucking retarded concepts and if Metroid Prime 4 has these too I'll blow up Nintendo.
>>
>>381320171
>>381325567
>people desperately trying to elevate minor nitpicks
I do agree that most of the above things can be classified as nitpicks and they don't ruin the game. But at the same time, they're things I'd love to see nintendo improve on for the NEXT entry (in 10 years or whatever). Because there are so many good ideas here, and there's a lot more potential to be explored than just what they had time to do in BotW.
>>
>>381325482
>burning grass blows Nintenbros' minds
Fucking kek, Far Cry 2 was only doing that 9 years ago.
>>
>>381318018
Agreed. Conceptually it's interesting, but actually playing it got draining for me. I think an important element of games, especially action-adventure games, is novelty. Breath of the Wild has a lot of novelty at first, but then it runs out. Eventually you get to the point where you've basically experienced the meat of the game and the rest is just more of the same with tiny variations. It's not like previous Zeldas which introduce new items, new mechanics, new gimmicks, completely new areas. BotW only has two things that somewhat change how you play the game, the Zora Armor and Revali's Gale. The Zora Armor is cool but has limited uses, especially considering how shallow BotW's water is (literally and figuratively). Revali's Gale is a nice convenience but basically breaks the game, there is nothing that actually requires its use and it trivializes a lot of puzzles, makes me wonder how much they actually playtested it.

Also the shrines are just awful. Half of them are worthless combat shrines or blessing shrines, the other half are too short and simple. Plus they all have the same aesthetics and music. It was a complete waste of resources that should have gone into real dungeons instead. Honestly I could have forgiven everything else about the game if the dungeons were well-thought out.
>>
>>381325746
>implying that BotW hasn't taken world-building and immersion to the next level.

Keep crying.
>>
>>381325583
>"You can go everywhere from the start" and "You have all the tools from the start" are fucking retarded concepts
"Retarded" is a little harsh but these are completely valid criticisms. People holding this to some standard of "the 3D Zelda 1" need to keep in mind that the only reason Zelda 1 FELT so big was because major sections were segmented and funneled through certain paths in the overworld. It's not like they made sure to keep one tile unobstructed so that you could get from one end of the map to the other in just a straight line. There were maze-like properties in the overworld itself, not to mention entire places sectioned off that necessitated key items you found throughout the game.
>>
File: 1491672609519.gif (965KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
1491672609519.gif
965KB, 500x489px
>mfw this is one of the few games in the last decade I can pick up, play, and get hooked each time
>>
>>381318679
I'm sure it has no real faults since it's from NINTENDO right toddler? Disgusting subhuman filth
>>
>>381325974
I assume you've only had access to Nintendo consoles then.
>>
>>381318018
I still haven't finished the game but I've already started to feel the open-world fatigue
>>
>>381318018
You still kept coming back spent at least 60 hours playing it.
Stop being retarded.
>>
>>381325952
Exactly, BotW completely ignores a lot of what made the original Zelda work, people parrot the "BotW = 3D LoZ" meme without thinking about how Zelda was designed.
>>
>>381324963
Very good summary.

I think BotW is going to be looked back at as a game that redefined what the open world genre could be (mechanically there's just so many ideas there), but won't be the best example of it. Somebody else down the line is going to steal all the good ideas they implemented in this game (and probably all the good ideas from MGSV and HZD and Witcher and all the rest) and make the real masterpiece. Well... anyhow I hope that's what happens, because that's a game I really want to play.
>>
>>381326028
The game has faults, the framerate chugs in a few places. And the game suffers the pitfalls inheritant in all open world games by design.

But the 'faults' that others desperately try to bring up are laughable. Seems like you're just mad at a video game company. How immature of you.
>>
>>381319414
Honestly I'm not surprised. Hell, I think the amount of fanboyism here on /v/ in regards to this game are a result of just how badly Reddit has infected this place. I know /v/ has always had a Nintendo bias, but to constantly spam "you didn't play" any time there is any criticism is just mind boggling
>>
>>381326138
It's lacking in a sense of progression from its obsession with complete open-endedness. I don't hold this so much against the game myself. It's clear from the outset they wanted to reinvent the wheel with this one with only a few core concepts from the older games to serve as a foundation. But it does get tiresome. I love it for the multitude of ways there generally are to get from point A to point B, like challenging yourself to traverse a snowy overpass, strategically building fires and using elixers, but sometimes you just get to a river and it's like, okay, I can either use cryosis to get across or climb a mountain to go around, and those are both tedious.
>>
>>381325952
>>381326138
>Zelda-fags butthurt it's not a traditional Zelda game
Doesn't change the fact it's a great game.
I'm glad they changed the concept. It's a breath of fresh air in a franchise that felt tiring after so many iterations. At the same time they did create one of the best open world games out today, never mind the excellent physics engine.
>>
>>381321592
>Me and my hivemind say it's a 10/10. If you don't like it, don't talk to use.

Before you respond I want you to reread that post
>>
>>381326358
>It's a breath of fresh air in a franchise that felt tiring after so many iterations

The only reason it was "tiring" was because Nintendo went overboard on the handholding and linearity. The LttP formula is still completely sound. There was no reason to throw it out.
>>
>>381326358
Your crying "butthurt" over constructive criticisms that don't even dock the game is a symptom of butthurt, anon. It's great, but it's not "back to its roots" the way it was (and still is) touted. It definitely explores the "open world" trend as known in modern video games more than it recreates Zelda 1's structure.
>>
>>381326138
I don't think it IGNORES the lessons of the old zelda, I think the devs were deliberately inverting those tropes. Ocarina was the 3D Zelda. That's been done. Taking out the key&lock access to areas of the map was a 100% deliberate choice.

BotW is, at every level, an game design experiment. They're trying a ton of new stuff we've never seen in this context before, some subtle some not. It doesn't all work flawlessly, but the fact that it works as well as it does while going so far off the beaten trail is worthy of some praise.
>>
I seriously hope we won't get any more open world games like this one where you're basically finished with the game after doing ~25% of what it has to offer.
>>
>>381326440
Oh your such a special snowflake aren't you.

Too bad you can't change history faggot. Cry some more.
>>
3 month and a half later and the sony ponies are STILL upset about BOTW. Impressive
>>
>>381326634
>BotW is, at every level, an game design experiment

I can accept that if they LEARN from the experiment and build on it, but I'm worried that they'll just rehash it. They have all the reason in the world to do so.
>>
>>381326358
the reason the franchise felt tiring was more to do with the hand holding and control gimmicks. I can guarantee that I would have liked TP and SS alot more than BOTW if they did just that and I hated those 2 games. BOTW on the other hand would Ironically need more content or cut down and shuffle things around a bunch for me to think its good. It's why I really want them to just make a new game with the same engine, but just cut the big empty shit and have themed dungeons with enemies inside them. I'd also probably cut crafting and weapon durability since they really add nothing besides more menu's to scroll through and a turn base combat option that the series really didn't need.
>>
>>381326574
Yeah, 100%. The zelda1 references are more superficial than mechanical. This game owes more to open world games and adventure games from the last decade than to old zeldas. It's like they looked at every example of the genre they could get their hands on, tried to figure out what made them tick and figure out where they could improve. This game looks to me like the devs have been playing a ton of everything from GTA to darksouls and taking notes.

Just look at some of the details. The physics sandbox and all the wacky tools they gave you to screw with it. Magnesis and Stasis aren't from zelda games past, they're devs going "what is the most ridiculously fun tool I can give you to screw with this physics simulation". Once you get off the plateau, you're basically done with tutorials and it follows the DS "learn by dying" model (with the edges softened, admittedly). And just the way the climbing and gliding and stamina combine to make the world accessible without making it easy. It's good stuff. It's the other companies' devs turn to be taking notes.
>>
>>381319165
Joseph Anderson was not very fair in judging the shrines.
Using the tutorial shrines as a baseline of content length with which to judge the rest of the shrines doesn't make sense as those shrines have to take time teaching you skills you will use for the rest of the game instead of a few puzzle gimmicks.
>>
>>381326885
This is the most tiring thing, bar-none, about being a fan of this series today after many years. You encounter some neat ideas and think, this has some real potential, I'm excited to revisit it when they refine it some more in the next one. But they don't. It's either thrown out or repeated verbatim. The other day I was discovering some korok seeds, which is honestly one of my favorite parts of the game, finding subtle landmarks that you can play with to create an intended outcome, kind of like manipulating a piece of scenery in an older game to discover something new. I thought, these are cool, but it'd be nice if they actually opened up something more to the game, instead of handing me a piece of candy and sending me skipping along my merry way. And then it hit me. This fucking shit, again. Every time.
>>
>>381327343
He was more than fair, half the shrines are (without hyperbole) worthless. Combat shrines where you fight the same enemy over and over but with different stats, and blessing shrines which are literally a straight line with a chest. They might as well not be in the game. The other half are harder to categorize but most of them are not good enough to justify the shrine concept.
>>
>>381326678
>>381326678
Not even the guy you were responding to. Nor do I think my opinion is going to change shit. I when RDR2 was moved to 2018 I immediately knew BOTW was going to be GOTY 2017. I was simply calling you out and hoping you'd actually think before responding, but it's quite clear at this point you've got a massive hard on for this game to where any form of criticisms, legit or not, is enough to send you into a REEEing frenzy

If you want my opinions, watch the video >>381319165 talked about. When you can create a post refuting everything he said, then get back to me, bitchboi

Also, you talk about how the other anon has a massive ego, yet your the 1 sperging out.
Seems you think your opinion is better and more right than anyone's criticism. Sounds like projecting to me, you fat, pubes for facial hair neckbeard
>>
>>381327392
It just becomes addicting, like collecting those damn orbs in Crackdown if you've ever played that.
It's like crack.
>>
I've been trying to do what people recommend and go straight to the real content (even though I feel I'm missing out loads). Even that's boring and takes an age.

How are you actually meant to get to places, scale the mountains? There seems to be no way past sometimes and now I'm stuck upon a mountain unable to climb because its forecasted rain for
>>
>>381327682
>if you want my opinions watch a Joseph Anderson video
Pathetic.
>>
>>381327825
You were recommended the exact opposite of the way the game is built from the ground up to be played. The best thing the game does is rectify the old "you get a shiny new item every level just to use it there a few times, get a heart piece and then never again" stigma by revamping your inventory with skills that have several applications. If you just zip around trying to finish the core game asap and not experiment, nor carve your own path by utilizing the subsystems implemented for doing just that, you're relegating all the game's most interesting features to window dressing.
>>
>>381327909
Yeah, I'm not gonna get into an argument in a near dead just to be told I never played it for the umpteenth. Whenever you get the time go right ahead.
>>
>>381326885
>I'd also probably cut crafting and weapon durability since they really add nothing
What? Did you play the same game I did? How would this design model even work without those two elements?
>>
>>381327825
If you're trying to rush through and finish it ASAP you're playing the wrong game.
It's about the journey, not the ending. If that's not for you, play something else.
>>
File: 1497768277159_0.png (524KB, 875x1000px)
1497768277159_0.png
524KB, 875x1000px
>>381328361
>his opinions on games are regurgitated from fucking youtube "reviewers"
>asks to be taken seriously
>>
>>381327636
>The other half are harder to categorize but most of them are not good enough to justify the shrine concept.
I don't think the shrine concept is that bad. You've got to have fast travel points and little progression collectibles anyway. I just don't think they ever should have been seen as a replacement for dungeons.

And yeah, I would have ditched the blessing shrines entirely in favor of more combat / puzzle shrines.
>>
>>381327682
>When you can create a post refuting everything he said, then get back to me, bitchboi

People already did, he got BTFO out on his own youtube channel. But silly kiddies like you desperately want to latch onto any negativity aimed at the gme because that just suits and reinforcing your need to hate it. Because you're a special snowflake. And yet you can't form any opinions of your own and have to parrot a clueless youtuber. Holy fuck.
>>
File: 1490345469950.png (116KB, 500x465px)
1490345469950.png
116KB, 500x465px
BoTW is so obsessed with being open it actually hurts the game.

The game basically lives and dies by the mantra "Complete the game however you like!", but this results in the game feeling very shallow and simple. Emergent gameplay is still in its infant state and currently not very exciting, it just results in a lot of fetch/kill quests and the game gets very repetitive, exactly the same problem The Phantom Pain has. The shrines try to address this problem, but they're too short, often kind of boring, and they all have the same look and music.

Like others have said, proper old school dungeons all over the map would have been great; the linearity would have been a nice change of pace to the open map. BoTW actually changed more stuff then it needed to.
>>
>>381328380
they wouldn't work without the big open world, but if we're cutting the size of the map down like I suggested then you wouldn't need all these collectibles to pad it
>>
>>381328794
>>381327682
Being mindlessly positive and refuting all criticism is equally as stupid as being mindlessly negative and refuting all praise.

There's a group of people here having an actual discussion about the merits and flaws of this game. Why don't you join us?
>>
>>381325412
This.
>>
>>381329083
>BoTW is so obsessed with being open it actually hurts the game.
Yeah, I can see that. I think they definitely made the open-ness their Job #1, and chased that to its logical conclusion. It's an experiment, and it's not perfect. But there's a ton of potential in what this game laid down.

>>381329196
It's not just number of collectibles. That's just the pacing... like you could increase durability of weapons and reduce the number that are dropped, for instance. But you can't take it out entirely, because then you also have to restrict access to higher-level stuff to maintain the progression arc. Not restricting access is this game's whole MO.

If you take out weapon durability entirely, the "sneak into hyrule castle in hour 2, steal an endgame weapon, and never use anything else again" model becomes the dominant strategy. Which is lame. So they made it if you do something special, like sneaking into hyrule castle early or beating a lynel, you get a temporary reward but not a permanent buff.
>>
>>381329207
It's been almost 4 months. Anything you can possibly choose to raise as a fault can be easily argued against.

It simply comes down to whether you like the game or not.

The rest are just salty jelly shitposters who cannot handle the idea that Nintendo made a good game.
>>
>>381327682
>When you can create a post refuting everything he said
Reddit already did lol. Seriously, I've never seen someone so BTFO by fucking reddit of all things. At the end of the day I can't take anyone's opinion seriously when they're so wrong about everything. It was like watching a trainwreck going in slow motion. I have no idea why youtubers have such high opinion of themselves when all they do is record themselves talk.
>>
>>381329083
>BoTW is so obsessed with being open it actually hurts the game.
Totally

>The game basically lives and dies by the mantra "Complete the game however you like!", but this results in the game feeling very shallow and simple.
Not really. Adding dynamism to the way someone plays the game is what gives the game the meat it has, and the fact that it's only as straightforward as you are willing to play around with it is the governing factor to its simplicity. Raw gameplay is the deepest in the series by far. It just doesn't bookmark itself in-game to the extent that the player is made fully aware of the difference in their journey from playing many hours in compared to starting out. That's more from the far diminished narrative focus than anything in the gameplay systems though, since those do get built upon, as well as have enough nuance for the player to build upon themselves as they go.
>>
>>381318018
I had my fun for 50 hours but once explore all the land and realize that all you have left is collecting golden nuggets it kinda drops of.
>>
>>381329791
Couldn't disagree more. BotW's a great game that I'd recommend to anyone. That doesn't mean there are no worthwhile criticisms or discussion to be had about it. Quite the opposite, IMO. A person is more than just a thumb that can be pointed up or down, and then there's a lot more to this game than can be summed up with a simple yes or no.
>>
>>381329935
*I should add to my last point that on top of downplayed narrative, this is the biggest caveat of the openness, too, since character building/item acquisition as a means to get to parts of the game that you couldn't before is mostly removed and instead serves to add variety to the "how" and not so much open up a "what" or "where."
>>
>>381329652
that just diminishes that reward. you get a strong weapon that you'll never use until you encounter something that holds something of similar value. The game already scales weapons with progression anyways, so if you go to hyrule after beating the divine beasts there's basically no reward there.

Like I said the game would need a major face lift to be actually good. I can't think of every little thing like how they would handle hyrule castle or how they would deal with enemy weapons dropping. Enemies maybe wouldnt drop weapons I don't know.
>>
File: 1447369169310.jpg (10KB, 266x266px) Image search: [Google]
1447369169310.jpg
10KB, 266x266px
>>381326031
You're a funny little shitposter if you actually think this. I own every console released since the PSOne with the exception of the Xbox One and have a decent pc. There's been a lot of absolutely fantastic games released this year alone, like Yakuza Zero, NieR:Automata, Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2.

You also seem to be too illiterate to understand I mention BotW as one of few games. Some other games like Muramasa Rebirth, Dungeon Travellers 2, Project Diva games on PS3/4, Shadow Hearts and Bloodborne captivate me in a way other games just don't do. My taste might be arguably shit, but your argument of me praising BotW because I would just be a "Nintenbabby" is completely unfounded and is merely just another shitpost among many.

My recommendation would be to neck yourself.
>>
Late game, there are too many white Bokoblins. They're not difficult to fight, and there's at least one in every group.
>>
>>381330041
>I had my fun for 50 hours but once explore all the land it kinda drops off
Yeah, agree with you there. Honestly I'm kinda ok with that. I'm not a completionist, and if I get 40 or 50 hours of quality play out of a game that's just fine with me. I've had a few game experiences in the past few years that make me think that might actually be about the right length. Even when games have a lot more content, I tend to get pretty sick of them if they go too far past this point.
>>
>You're supposed to make your own voyage, fuckos. This game is a toybox

I think that's the biggest issue. It plays like an early access survival game where you can get the starting tools early and it has an emphasis on exploring; except in Zelda there is little to no reward and barely any finite progression. It's all "do as you please and maybe see some cool set pieces"

While the combat remains mediocre and poorly done, soundtrack lazy, dungeons awfully designed, Shrine puzzles easy as fuck, and completely shit story and VA work.
>>
>>381330342
The value of weapons are meaningless due to how exploitative the combat gets and how often shit drops.
Just side hop and jump back when enemies attack for free flurries.
>>
>>381327825
The "real" content is the same as all the other content anon. Even the dungeons are just glorified shrines with 1 of 4 elemental ganons that die with simple sword swings.
>>
I don't know why you all have such a complex about this game. I mean it's one thing if you fucking hated it from the get-go because you were just totally turned off to a core mechanic, but the amount of people who feel the need to say 'yeah it was great while I was playing it, until I got bored and stopped' is funny. Basically the game has an insanely baffling amount of content (though limited in variety) that only crazy diehards would complete entirely, and certain people think if the game wasn't fun enough to make you want to play it for the requisite 300 hours to collect everything then it must have made a mistake. I played and loved the fuck out of this game, but dropped it after maybe 35 hours, having only completed two dungeons and done a cursory amount of everything else, and that's absolutely fine. It was a great experience. I think people on /v/ are confused because the game is designed where you're probably going to get bored before you see all of the content, reason being there's so fucking much.
>>
>>381318018
I loved that there were a shit ton of things to find and explore in the game. The sad thing is there were never, or very few, awesome moments where you felt you were truly rewarded for exploring. No unique piece of equipment other than armor that you have to swap out every two minutes.

Why not give you cooler tablet powers if you explored something nonconventionally? Maybe a hookshot tablet power, or an invisibility power? Hell I would have rather the tablet powers been actual items instead of just the tablet so it felt more like Zelda. They could still have the whole tablet map/dousing rod gimmick with it.

They just need to apply the fun shit that's everywhere of BotW and apply it to finding actual cool tangible things in a more traditional Zelda game and they have a winner.
>>
>>381330342
>I can't think of every little thing like how they would handle hyrule castle or how they would deal with enemy weapons dropping. Enemies maybe wouldnt drop weapons I don't know.
Well, ok, but if you're going to suggest changing a core game mechanic you need to think about all the impacts. None of these mechanisms exist in a vacuum. The devs certainly thought about all the little impacts of the model and their choice was very deliberate. Was it the absolute most elegant solution to the design problems in question? Maybe not, but I haven't heard a better one suggested.

>>381330480
>Late game, there are too many white Bokoblins. They're not difficult to fight, and there's at least one in every group.
That criticism I definitely agree with. More to the point, I wish they'd scaled environmental damage (xbarrels, falling, etc) with monster level. I don't mind that later enemies are harder, of course they are, but I don't like how they resist creative problem solving. Early game, there are 100 ways to approach a bokoblin camp and they can all work. Late game, there are like 3. It should have been the other way around - reward players for finding creative solutions to tough enemies, not punish them.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498055166414.jpg (60KB, 630x810px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498055166414.jpg
60KB, 630x810px
Bought my switch 10 or so days ago. For Spla2n mostly, but grabbed BotW as I waited for it to come out.
It was supposed to be some sort of passtime, wasn't sure I was going to actually enjoy it that much.

Boy was I wrong. I felt like a young spergling once more, running from here to there, trying to climb literally every fucking mountain. Scumming with elixirs, stamina recovery, I even climbed to Zora's domain DURING THE RAIN THING, something that shouldn't be possible, but I managed.

It was so long since I felt at ease playing a game, not being sure what to do, with vague quests objectives. First quest: Kill the big bad boss. Aside from the first 4 shrines, the game didn't hold my hand at all. I fucking screamed as I saw the first Bokoblin riding a horse towards me.

It kept me glued to the screen, when I'm usually too jaded and tired of vidya to play more than 2 hours straight. I've only reached the second divine beast so far (how the fuck does this shit work) but I'm convinced thisbwas worth every single penny of my 80 dollars (extra fees, I live in Argentina).

And crossdressing Link is cute. CUTE.

I love this fucking game. It re-ignited my love for videogames. Thank you, Nintendo.

Thank you.
>>
>>381318018
This thread again? Well.
>>
>>381330640
Eh, I don't think the game is incumbent to illustrate to me some "point" in playing it, like giving me rewards that lure me in to sinking more time into what may or not be a fun time. I think it already is a fun time, so not having enough shineys to keep me playing doesn't become an issue. Would it be nice for there to be more traditional items that I could use in a deliberately intended fashion that still feels creative and has several applications? Absolutely, but Nintendo has proven since the dawn of this millennium that they're lousy at doing this, so I'm not mad that they threw it out completely in favor of what we got.
>>
>>381319165
>Go watch Joseph Anderson
stopped reading there
>>
>>381330931
The only problem with removing it would just diminish the value of a big chunk of weak weapons in the game, but the game already does that on its own, so simply removing that feature does make it better in a lot of ways, but I'm sure there's an even better solution than that
>>
Almost every complaint in this thread is a reason to eventually stop playing, not a reason why the game isn't fun.
>>
>>381330640
>little to no reward and barely any finite progression
This argument I never really understand. No progression? My endgame link is miles ahead of the guy that jumped off the plateau. Constant upgrades to gear, armor, consumables, health, stamina, and tools throughout the game. What else do you want? A leveling system? A tech tree?
>>
>>381331439
Well said, but it's also not entirely wrong to see what the game has to offer and put it down within the first 7 hours because you're not feeling it, and that isn't exactly getting your money's worth. It was to the point for me that I was stalling to leave Lanayru after checking it off the main questline, because I loved everything about it so much and also knew it would be forever before the game got to something like that again.
>>
>>381331524
All those weapons, hearts, stamina wheels, and divine beasts do is make the final boss easier.
>>
>>381331652
Very true.
>>
>>381318018
>muh complaints that count for every zelda

It was great. Any other zelda title is over in less than 40 hours and thats getting 100%. Any other zelda also has repetitive challenges to get just another heart piece.

The difference is that this zelda managed to entertain me for over 200 hours of actual fun without having to make a new file and do a challenge run. Exploring has always been the heart of zelda so this was truly fantastic.

Did I want actual dungeons and another boring zelda game? Yeah but not at the cost of this game, I can play 5 other titles that have exactly that already, I didnt need another, I needed something new. And this game provided.
>>
>>381331363
>I'm sure there's an even better solution than that
I'm all ears, Anon. If you've got a more elegant way to maintain a smooth progression and challenge curve without artificially restricting access to late game areas and drops, I want to hear it.
>>
>>381331712
OK. Allow me to rephrase. What does progression do in other games that this doesn't?
>>
>>381331793
Indeed. After about 40 hours I had only explored about 1/3 of the map. In other Zelda games, I'm normally putting a sword through Ganon's head way before that.
>>
>>381331712
>getting every powerup in the game makes the final confrontation easier
YA DONT SAY

But I do wish if you fought ganon with the heros tunic he went into some kind of rage mode that activated a hard version of the boss. So that way we got something at least. Oh well hard mode seems legit as fuck so that will be fun,
>>
>>381323779
>Metroidvania design is infinitely superior to open world.
I don't agree with that flat statement, but I get what you're saying. Most so-called "open world" devs agree with you, I think, at least in principle. They drop you in a sandbox, but pull you through it in a linear fashion, and cordon off a lot of areas for later in the game.

BotW is one of a few games in this generation (along with MGSV) that try to do an actual open world, that can be approached a lot of different ways. It's pretty challenging to design, and I think some of the hiccups are inevitable given how ambitious a goal it is. I don't think that invalidates the approach. Quite the contrary, I hope developers keep exploring it and see what else can be done with the model.
>>
>>381318018
it was more of a disappointment than anything.
Everything else is in line with a zelda game except for the dungeons/divine beasts which were a real disappointment. I was really hoping for something more traditional, you get an item and it allows for completeion of the dungeon, used in the boss fight and expands the general world as a whole with secrets and paths now more open. not including this pretty much threw off any true sense of progression.
I love the game but it feels more like a test than a real game, even the story seems like a test of open world story telling while also not being remotely important to the series as a whole.
This game i found a ton of fun, ill end up playing even more once the DLC comes out but i still find self just wanting more out of this game than anything and being skeptical/hopeful/ and impatient all at the same time for the next 3d zelda which will come for the next system or be rushed and lack the one thing this game had which was an amazing world to explore
>>
>>381323779
So you want Alttp in 3D?
>>
>>381332847
I understand disappointment over the divine beasts not being the most traditional dungeons, but there's more than plenty of dungeon-type content throughout the open world. Climbing Amana Tower specifically strikes me as pretty much a dungeon.
>>
>>381332847
>not including this pretty much threw off any true sense of progression
>getting stronger isnt progression
>being able to go into harsh environments without wasting time on potions isnt progression
>upgrading your defense isnt progression
>getting more stamina to explore hard to reach places without wasting time on food isnt progression

All because "muh items"
Too bad this zelda has about every cliche item anyways besides the hookshot. Just because they arent required doesnt mean they dont allow you to explore new areas much easier.
>>
>>381331826
ok this is assuming we cut all the collectible shit.
>very limited healing 6 bottles of healing max
>weapon damage wouldn't be as drastic between the best and worst weapon maybe 8-16x instead of 60x(I know there are weapons stronger than 30-60x, but that's average end game)
>Hyrule castle would need more challenges similar to the new dlc(enemies set up in different situations that have you actually using games physics and abilities to progress)
>enemy's early in the dungeon would have slightly better weapons than plateau, but get stronger as you progress, so you would actually need to work to get anything good.
not sure if I would have the best weapon at the end of it, a master sword upgrade, or just ganon so you would actually need to do more to get to him than crawl through his bedroom window.
>>
Am I the only one who kinda enjoyed the "Test of Strength" shrines? I played a high level one really early on in the game and I loved it. I just wish that they leveled with you or something. If I beat a level 3 test, I don't want to have to bother with level 2 or below, and I can't imagine it would be too hard to make any enemies set to spawn in those shrines level with you to always be a good, engaging fight.

Generally, I felt the game was great, but once you get good the challenge drops off.
>>
>wahhh muh ocarina of time
I am so glad Nintendo grew out of pandering to that ancient and never pleased fanbase and still got great reviews and sales. Never ever will they pander Zelda to you freaks and it's a good thing, fuck off
>>
>>381329652
>If you take out weapon durability entirely, the "sneak into hyrule castle in hour 2, steal an endgame weapon, and never use anything else again" model becomes the dominant strategy. Which is lame.

>the game let me use stealth and smarts to get high end gear that will be consumed quickly so its a broken system because I can keep farming for more stuff

I dont get this. I HATE repeating content for no reason so farming is always a negative to me. And why is the game giving you the freedom to play it anyway you want suddenly a bad thing?
>>
Any other games that are so open you can walk to the final boss and finish it if you know what to do?

All I can think of is morrowind
>>
>>381333086
I was more disappointed that they didnt expand the world. If every divine beast had an item/rune that actually expanded gameplay both for the beast and the overworld it would have been perfect in that respect. the problem is that any powers or anything you get can be easily replaced by food for the most part.

>>381333162
Oh wow less going into my menu sure is getting stronger. Just like the 3 heart runs of old which didnt rely on being able to take more hits or not use an infinite supply of items

and yes lots of zelda items are in the game but they are all given at the beginning or they are no longer items and dont have anything to do with finding new areas apart from the fire weapons
>>
>>381318018
>Bought it
>Played it
>Found all the shrines
>Beat pig
End. Next game.

I grew up with LoZ. LttP was the first game I owned on my snes. I have played every Zelda to completion. I like Zelda. I enjoy Zelda. However, everything this game did, has been done before. I'm actually curious if there is a single unique feature in this entire game. The rabid fanaticism is somewhat understandable, as this will be the equivalent of your LoZ, or LttP, or LA or Oot or whatever the fuck zelda first blew your mind as a kid.

I always forget most of you faggots are just fucking kids.
>>
>>381334106
>dont have anything to do with finding new areas
So half of all zelda items then?
I get what you are saying ,alttp is my favorite zelda, but I think botw was still fantastic.

For instance the boomerang was crucial to make sedert fighting easier, and ice and fire weapons obliterate their opposite elemental enemies making exploring death mountain or snowy areas much much easier.

The idea is that you can challenge your self but going in undergeared and using food/potions to survive OR you can explore gear up and then approach the area with little to no issues.
>>
>>381322951
There's a couple shrines with the little combat guardians sprinkled into their puzzles, and offhand I can remember there being the floating bokoblin/lizalfos skulls attacking you in rudania.

I think a better argument is that there should have been more of that.
>>
>>381334053
>Any other games that are so open you can walk to the final boss
Island of Yeto
>and finish it if you know what to do?
never mind. you actually need to play a good chunk of the game to be able to beat it
>>
Absolutely none of you would be complaining if the game had longer dungeons that had actual distinct themes to them.
>>
>>381334657

>Absolutely none of you would be complaining if the game was fixed to not be so bad.

What a shocker, anon. I'd still probably complain about getting every item up front, though.
>>
>>381334657
>that had actual distinct themes to them.
Fucking this so much.
I loved the game but having the shrines and dungeons be themed after the region would have helped so god damn much.

I would have enjoyed it if there were 6 types of shrines, 1 for each region gerudo, goron, zora, and rito. Then the 5th would be the default shrines we already got in the field and places too far from the 4 regions. What would have been amazing would be a 6th type of shrine, unfinished. It would be a modifier for the other 5 and basically have the shrine be unfinished and feel more cave like depending. Either way it would have helped immensly because unfinished shrines would have climbable segments and each region would be based of the elements of that region more than what we got
>>
>>381334410
Man those elemental weaknesses pissed me off. It's standard fucking game design for fucks sake.
>Paper/Scissors/Rock
Not
>Fire>Ice but Ice>Fire but Thunder sort of >Ice/Fire but Bomb>thunder but Silver enemies don't give a fuck either way so I guess I'll just use thunder again. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>381318454
>thread posters never fish for replies haha
Stop
>>
>>381334410
Boomarang, fire and ice weapons were all used mechanically outside of combat in zelda games. not all zelda games but they have been used but seems like a shitty choice to not use them in the game with the most limited item choice

the "gearing" as you call it is using your best weapon, using a set of armor you can get at the first town, avoiding stuff, or combining meat with a single item to give a full heal. its not even as deep as rogue lites progression because atleast stuff is balanced around that.

The only progression in this game is story and how much of the map you have completed
>>
>>381335072
No, gearing up is getting the proper tunic. Exactly like OoT.
Except this game lets you ignore that if you prefer and just go out into the wild.

>choices are a bad thing
Fucking why?
Tell me please.

Also fire and ice weapons are required to explore in botw, just not to the same degree as past ones.

>tfw WW only has 6 awful babby tier linear as fuck dungeons but its somehow better because muh items and muh progression

You cant win them all
>>
>>381335267

>choices are a bad thing

Did you misread his post, where he explicitly pointed out that you don't have choice? Just use the shit with the highest number and cook hearty food -- zero thought or choice involved.
>>
>>381335669
>just do this to explore the entirety of the gerudo highlands

Yeah no, potions can help but only to a degree and that takes a lot more time than just getting new gear.
>>
>>381335267
>replaces items with food
>calls it choice
>thinks muh dungeons and items is an actual point

BOTW litearlly only has an open world, it does some things better but its items and sense of ability and power progression is shit lol. I dont know why you have such a boner for this game that you cant admit that it does items in a shit way compared to everything else. even the tunics were just replaced by food or cloths that you just have to buy lol

also how can you shit on WW when BOTW has 4 non dungeons that are one step above the elemental isles from WW
>>
>>381336137
Let's no exaggerated, the elemental isles are more comparable to korok seeds
>>
>>381335929

>it's hot out, put on hot armor.
>choice

I didn't bother mentioning it, because I thought it went without saying, but if you consider that a deep and interesting mechanic then maybe it's true that Zelda games are made for children.
>>
>>381336227
>no exaggerated
Not exaggerate*, I have no idea how it came out that way. I'm not even mobile posting
>>
File: what.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>>381318679
>op baits himself with a you
>this guy go fulls Deus Vult in the name of Nintendo
>>
>>381336227
replay windwaker, replay BOTW. a few more puzzles add in boss battles and its about the same.
Beasts are closer to those 2 isles than dungeons, except you actually got an items from those places
>>
>>381319724
where the FUCK is cdi Zelda?
>>
File: 91df1f660211028cb2283d7f3ddf07e3.jpg (368KB, 1919x1199px) Image search: [Google]
91df1f660211028cb2283d7f3ddf07e3.jpg
368KB, 1919x1199px
I emulated it on PC, played it for a couple of hours and I really don't understand what the deal with the game is.

I mean, is a good game? Sure thing, if you don't agree I believe you must be jaded or something. But I don't see see the amazing masterpiece this was supposed to be, a couple of gimmicks don't make the game, the overall package does, and the game has flaws all over the place, small and big.
>>
>>381333491
Fair enough, all good points. I still think you run into the problem where if you want to create a sense of escalation, you also have a situation where the dominant strategy is to short-circuit the system. I love that the game allows sequence-breaking, don't get me wrong, but I think exploiting it should always be tuned to make the game harder, not easier. That creates valid choices - go the more direct but difficult route through the game, or take the longer easier path.
>>
>>381333718
My point wasn't that it encourages farming, but that it keeps lower-level content relevant. Doing one challenge to get a reward that lets you easymode another challenge is fine. Doing one challenge that lets you easymode EVERY subsequent challenge is a problem.

I played this whole game and never felt like I had to farm gear to progress. YMMV I guess.
>>
File: Lammy_07.jpg (152KB, 822x1301px) Image search: [Google]
Lammy_07.jpg
152KB, 822x1301px
>>381318018
Hey OP.
Did you even play the game? You don't seem like you have worn all the regurgitated incorrect facts you've posted.
>>
File: 1473294371543.jpg (49KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1473294371543.jpg
49KB, 447x723px
>>381318018
>too many fetch quests
There were fetch quests? Did I miss an entire section of game?
>>
>>381336243
>it's hot out, put on hot armor.
>choice
Well, it's a little deeper than that, because you can do the same things with food and/or items. Or by certain elements in the environment like campfires or standing in the shade. It's a lot more interesting in this game than in previous zeldas, anyhow.
>>
File: FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg (3MB, 1000x5118px) Image search: [Google]
FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg
3MB, 1000x5118px
>>381337869
Probably missed a lot.
>>
>>381338080
the mythical white horse is just a white horse
>>
1. shrines are repetitive
2. side quests are mostly garbage
3. not enough dungeons

fatal flaws
>>
I just bought the game and will start playing it after work. What are some advice to consider when starting a new run to keep the fun? Any stuff you regret not having known before?
>>
>this thread daily
>OP constantly proven wrong
>people still playing it
>upcoming DLC adding more challenges and content

Almost as bad as the "Wii U is a scam" fag.
>>
File: 1491677063990.png (1MB, 1989x746px) Image search: [Google]
1491677063990.png
1MB, 1989x746px
>>381318018
>>
>>381339467
pretty much this

I'd rather replay Majora's Mask four times than ever replaying BotW again. In fact, that's what I'm doing now.
>>
>>381318018

Yes to everything you just said. It's a nice little sandbox with pleasant attention to detail but once I got past the 15 hour mark my interest rapidly waned.
>>
>>381337869
The game made you read that actual quest dialogue to figure out what to do, some were fetch quests

WoW head was a mistake, its when the real agrument for fetch quests started when just everyone was looking at a map to see where to go
>>
holy shit they did it. botw faggots are actually worse than oot fans.
>>
>>381339642
rush the master sword
>>
File: 1447104602726.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447104602726.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>381318018
It's official, this game has generated the second-most butthurt ever on /v/.
>>
So is this literally just one fucking dipshit making the same "WHAT WENT WRONG?" and "SO this game wasn't actually great everyone lied and was brainwashed it's really just shitty" and "Here's a list of subjective, mostly bullshit reasons for why this game is overrated and actually not good at all!" BotW threads every fucking day?
>>
>>381340953
252 replies
81 posters

i dont think op is the butthurt one here
>>
>>381337869
Almost every side quest is a shitty fetch quest with really bad rewards. Thankfully you can literally ignore all of them and some are basically "do something you might've done anyway and here's a reward for it", and then there's a few that are a lot better and more rewarding like Tarry Town and getting Zelda's horse's grandson.
>>
>>381341118
Ok but BotW is the only game I can think of in recent memory where almost every fucking day we get nearly identical threads by some dipshit trying to sell us on the idea that BotW is actually terrible when it's one of the best games in years. Each thread even has the same pic used to start it.
>>
>>381340953
Yes.

>>381341118
What does that prove? That's implying that OP isn't replying to naysayers and saying they're wrong.
>>
>>381341353
>people have legitimate complaints about the game
>wow look at all these butt hurt faggots!!!!

i beat the game 100% and generally agree with most of the complaints i've heard about the games design. having played all the zelda games in the series i can confidently say that botw is my least favorite 3d zelda game.
>>
>>381341353
That sounds like the Morrowind threads that start with complaining about swinging and missing all of your attacks against a scrib. Those have been going on for what seems like years.
>>
>>381341567
thats clearly not whats happening in this thread
>>
>>381341118
this

the game could crash on startup and these drones would be excusing it
>>
File: 1490769589891.jpg (16KB, 328x313px) Image search: [Google]
1490769589891.jpg
16KB, 328x313px
>>381318018
>did anyone else feel tremendously disappointed by this game?
Oh God yes. It frustrates the hell out of me because I wanted to like the game, but I just didn't. This is the exact same thing that happened to me with Wind Waker.
But it made me realize that I don't like Zelda games when they deviate just a little too far from the formula it originally established in the first game, because I was the same way about Zelda 2. Majora's Mask was the only exception to this I found, because I fucking loved Majora's Mask.
>>
>>381318018
Most of the people claiming disappointment haven't played the damn game.
>>
>>381318134
>>381318679
it's because the majority of them are pc niggers that can't even play the game, so they pretend that they did. They're just salty that they have no good games.
>>
>>381342296
>PC
Kek, Cemu exists on PC. PC fags aren't the ones making these threads. IT's sonygers.
>>
>>381342262
(you)
>>
>>381342262
>>381342296
denial
>>
File: 1466204894555.png (73KB, 188x279px)
1466204894555.png
73KB, 188x279px
>>381319531
Yeah, great. Good for people who were tired of the formula. Bad for people who legitimately enjoyed the formula that only fucking appears in Zelda games at this point.
Fuck, now I'm depressed.
>>
>>381342458
>denial and same fagging

ftfy
>>
>>381342501
we just had to bitch about ss, god i would do anything to go back...at least mario sticks to its strengths...
>>
>>381342458
stay salty, peecuck. don't worry, you can have our scraps in emulators or sloppy ports or however the fuck you play our games when you aren't playing shitty 2d indie games
>>
File: 1469667178262.png (415KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1469667178262.png
415KB, 420x420px
>>381342262
Fuck you, I played it and tried so hard to like it. I just don't. Holy fuck, I really hate BotW fans. You motherfuckers have such trouble accepting the fact that some people didn't like the game. Eat a dick.
>>
>>381318018
I liked it a lot.

It would have been ten times better if you only had one page of food and clothes inventory, though. With quicksaves on top, it was just as easy as other Zelda games.
>>
>>381324963
>Similarly, BotW would only benefit by taking its core mechanics (the physics based shit is fantastic) and focusing it into 8 or 12 dungeons designed to test the player's problem solving, exploratory, and technical mastery of the game.

One BIG shrine in each area with enemies, traps and puzzles in it a long with all the small shrines would have helped this. As its was, I think there were 4 "big" shrines, and theyre mostly just small shrines with more than 4 steps to solving them
>>
>>381318018
Not at all. The interface for cooking could have used streamlining, but other than that, I had fun.

You're coping very badly with the fact that it's over. And you're mis-attributing it to the quality of the game itself. Fix your feelings, autist.
>>
>>381342806
Its fine if you dont like it. The shitposting began well before launch and the people who complain about it the loudest dont bring specific arguments to the table. Makes it seem like they are being typical /v/irgins and trying to stir shit up.

They are largely looking for (You)s.
>>
File: 1497587907014.png (407KB, 436x405px) Image search: [Google]
1497587907014.png
407KB, 436x405px
>>381318018
I think it did a great job, but it just needed better towns/ environments.

It felt ALMOST like Wind Waker except you walked/flew everywhere instead of sailing, meaning it had more things to experience on your travels.

The problem is there weren't as many towns or people to get invested in. Half the characters in the game are random "adventurers" who you happen to see walking around and have no real purpose to them other than breaking up the monotony.

It just needed more memorable characters. Not to over-shill Wind Waker, but the characters were so memorable that I can remember each one from each town, because they all had their own personality and quirks to them. You could say the same for MM or Oot, etc. But Breath of the Wild lacked that aspect for the most part. Some memorable characters, but way too many filler ones that were just plain boring.
>>
>>381343198
This
>>
>>381343198
The interface probably would have been great if it had remained a WiiU game.
>>
>>381318018

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The only thing BotW really succeeded at over other open world games is traversal which is some of the most fun engaging I've ever played.

Unfortunately this is NintendoGAF so clearly neither of us played the game. Always found it funny how /v/ mocks the tards who sperged about 8.8 on IGN but they're literally incapable of taking criticism directed at BotW as if someone making a point against the game will somehow ruin their experience.

Frankly its one of the most dull open worlds I've ever experienced. There's nothing to do in it even if it's fun to traverse.
>>
>>381342806
How long did you play and what didn't you like about it?
>>
>>381342741
Jesus Christ you sound abused
>>
>>381318018
It's 90% shit, 10% alright. You said it as nicely as anyone could say it though OP. I agree with you too that the only good thing to come from this game was the map. Except there's nothing cool to really explore like Hyrule castle. It's all just outside bullshit. No buildings, caves or anything. It's just fucking outside but it was done nicely. Can't really say anything good about it though. It's just a shitty take on Zelda not a memorable experience that I'll want to replay.
>>
>>381318018
Nope, I think it is the best Zelda ever made and one of the greatest games of all time. It does have flaws and shortcomings however, mostly in how it handles the ending and the story line of the past. The difficulty curve could be harder, I am hoping the new hard mode helps with that.
>>
>>381343604
>it's fun to traverse but there's nothing to do
How about travel?
>>
I did 100 hours but never went back. Still haven't beat it
>>
Best game I ever played in my life. Ever since beating it, I've not been able to enjoy any other video game. They're all terribly amateur in comparison
>>
>>381318018
>first week of release
>going for the camel great beast first
>running shirtless across the desert in between the limited shade trying not to burn myself to death
>waiting for the sun to change position so i can naviagate between the shadows
>finally making it to gerudo town only to be denied access
>>
>>381318018
The only thing I enjoyed in this game were the physics and enviromental intercations.

Everything else felt subpar, but my expectations may have been far too high.
>>
>>381318575
>nice story

Try playing other Zelda's kid. Botw was fucking Oblivion tier.
>>
>>381318018
I played it for 95 hours and enjoyed it all. Gonna pick it back up once the DLC releases so I can find the remaining 20 shrines I'm missing with the new map feature.
>>
>>381319165
>shitty shrines
define shitty please, sounds like a subjective complaint

>low enemy variety
There are more enemy types than in Dragon's Dogma (before Dark Arisen, Dark Arisen has a little more enemy types)

>divine beasts are poor excuses for dungeons
I felt they were clever, and because I was constantly entering mini dungeons in the form of shrines, I did not miss 'real' dungeons. Also, Zelda dungeons have been growing more and more stale lately- locations like the giant mazes, Hyrule Castle, and the Typhlo ruins forest all were way more exciting and fun than any Zelda dungeon I have worked through in the past 10 years.

>bad voice acting
Only if you play in English.

>shitty side quests
There are some dumb ones in there, but I found the majority of them to be fun and entertaining.
>>
I feel like there's enough content in this game where you can just skip doing the shit you don't want.
>>
Some people compare it to The Phantom Pain for being empty and repetitive, but for me Breath of the Wild is like Nintendo's own Half Life 2.
It raises the bar of the genre by setting higher gameplay standards with finely tuned elements like rich physics for puzzles and a varied approach to combat, but the rest is "been there, done that, not very exciting, could've been better".
>>
File: shill.png (487KB, 1878x1003px) Image search: [Google]
shill.png
487KB, 1878x1003px
>>381318018
>BOTW-Share_icon.jpg

one day /v/ will be free from shills and shitposting, i know it
>>
>>381343869

There's no goal or reward for your exploration. You'll never stumble upon some cool secret hidden away. Shrines are a huge flaw killing the adventure in a number of ways imo.
>>
>>381318018
Great gimmicks on a fairly average game.
Combat, exploration, weapons, bosses, empty world full of korok seeds, trials, divine beasts, etc... All average or worse and has been done better in games from years ago.
Now the interaction in environments and the neat stuff you could do was possibly 11/10.

7.5-8/10 overall with incredible potential.
>>
>>381344543
Phantom Pain failed in its promises. BotW delivered, albeit with some missteps, but it still delivered.
>>
>>381318018
I look back on the whole experience fondly. I got discouraged to complete every shrine though and figured the classic tunic wouldn't be worth it if I was just going to defeat Ganon again but more easily than before. But now I'm kind of interested to go at the castle with fully repaired champion weapons and see the final cutscenes play out in Link's classic attire. (It would also be the good ending because I didn't find the memories the first time.)
Thanks for rekindling my interest OP. I'm gonna go fire up my Wii U
>>
>>381321837
Holy shit.

There's people significantly more retarded than me.
>>
>>381328794
No. I don't have an undying need to hate this game. It was actually my first (and probably last) Zelda game I will ever touch. What I am tired of is how low Nintendo has sunk to please the pubes for beards crowd like yourself. The game was above average and that's about it. That's fine if it's The Witcher 2, but BOTW, New Super Mario Bros, Fox Zero, Nu-Smash, etc are part of a never ending stream of mediocrity that Nintendo has been producing for the last several years. Discussion like Anderson's actually allows to see what needs to be improved; but when you say he "already got BTFO", you don't give a fuck about improvements but instead care that you won the dick measuring contest. That your nostalgia is somehow justified.

I like Nintendo and video games but BOTW-fags are insufferable
>>
>>381329934
So make a video calling him out. Oh wait, you won't because that requires you to leave the hugbox of fanboys on /v/ and actually make an identity. Fuck outta here
>>
>>381344319
>Hyrule Castle, and the Typhlo ruins forest all were way more exciting and fun than any Zelda dungeon I have worked through in the past 10 years

(you)

and you dont even deserve it
>>
>>381345509
But probably not as insecure :^)
>>
>>381344652
Jesus this is kind of pathetic. Move on man, or do you just want (You)s?
>>
>>381344543
This is what I think a lot of people will take away from it. The idea is to have a more cartoonish, less realistic looking, open world that seamlessly encourages you to latch onto a distant focal point and gravitate towards it. When you add a simple, but powerful handful of tools to interact with a rich environment, you can get a lot of emergent play and puzzles. All of that is really simple to suggest, but very, very hard to execute. BotW It isn't perfect. The fact that you only cut a tree to make a bridge, maybe one time in the whole game is a telling example of how divergent the concept was from the final form.

What I really can't stand is people suggesting that things like weapon breaking are a desirable designs to be emulated. BotW's core rpg mechanics are bare bones or totally backwards. Dark Souls was lauded partly because the healing system didn't have you popping into a menu like Skyrim and eating handfuls of bread and cheese mid combat. Nintendo leaped ahead of other open world games in one aspect and then took a giant step backwards in others.
>>
>>381318018

Same thread different day, see you tomorrow
>>
>>381346489
BotW is pretty much Dragon's Dogma with far more polish and tons of awesome physics, but at the cost of losing classes/customization and having weaker RPG elements
>>
>>381318018
You should have expected that you wouldn't get any depth from a massive open world game, yes, shame that you get only get 10 or so shrines that seem to be designed alright out of the 100+, the rest is one trick gimmicks or shit like "count the stars in that wall", but that's not really the type of game its trying to be.
The game is fine is fine if you want to just explore and fuck around with physics engine, not something to be that disappointed.
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.