[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a couple of criticisms with the new Super Mario Odyssey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

I have a couple of criticisms with the new Super Mario Odyssey footage.

The first is that the electrical charge things in New Donk City feel lazy. Instead of creative platforming elements that you need to carefully maneuver on to to get to the top all you do is just zip line to the top? It just feels uncreative and lazy.

The second is the use of classic 2D Mario side scrolling to get to the top of a place. Again it feels lazy and not very creative. It feels gimmicky. In older 3D Mario you'd have a much more interesting way of getting to the top instead of just slapping on classic 2D Mario. I would prefer it if the platform elements were consistent with the 3D world and you had to time jumps to get to the top or something in line with that.

The third thing is the UI. What's with the really simple type face for areas and stuff? I miss the Mario font where all the letters are a different colour and the letters are all thick and pointy. It's much more interesting. The type face right now looks cheap. Everything "You got a Moon" pops up, it just doesn't look good.
>>
>>381313482
>it feels
>it feels
>it feels
Okay. Where are your objective critiques?
>>
>>381313482

The electric cables are just Odyssey's version of 3DWorld's clear pipes.

>The second is the use of classic 2D Mario side scrolling to get to the top of a place. Again it feels lazy and not very creative.

I find it more visually engaging and clever than a straight up 2.5D section ala Galaxy and recent Sonic titles.
>>
>>381313482
I agree about criticizing a game, no matter how well it was received.
But shouldn't we at least wait for the final version of the game and get our hands on it first?
I mean, the main draw of Mario game is not how things look but how they play.
>>
>>381313482
your second and third points are pure bullshit so let's focus on the only legit one.

I kinda have the same concern about platforming. My fear is that possessing enemies and objects could take away jumping.
I really do hope it will not be the case but it's really too soon to tell.
>>
>>381313482
Eh I disagree. 2D sections are a fun gimmick, and the zip lines are clearly more like teleportation pipes ala 3D world. The only part I can sort of agree is the clean UI but it's honestly a small nitpick I don't really care about
>>
>>381313930
The possessing part seems to be pretty optional based on what they have shown, the bullet bill and the hopping pot thing can be clearly done with pure platforming. I hope this is maintained throughout the game
>>
The 2D sections seem creative enough when they are combined with 3D, the UI is probably just placeholder for the demo
>>
I feel it's gay
>>
>>381313482
The possession mechanic bothers me a bit. We've seen that you can flub the Moe eye by watching the birds instead but it seems like with Galaxy they've nerfed your moveset so they can shove gimmicks on you instead of relying .

>Need Flowerpot monster to navigate Iron Road
>Need Bullet bills for the inverted pyramid
>Nerd Sherm to defeat Mecha Wiggler

Though I guess I shouldn't complain since 3D World is almost nothing but straight platforming. It's just your moveset in that game is so pathetic that level design takes a huge hit.
>>
it all feels, but can you feel me up?
>>
I'm not gonna play it because Mario is a shapeshifting racist
>>
>>381314227
>they nerfed your moveset
What does this even mean? Mario has more moves in Odyssey compared to Galaxy and 3D World
>>
>>381313482
>The first is that the electrical charge things in New Donk City feel lazy.

Imagine that you have to repeat the same sections every time you already did them because the game needed you to backtrack. This is in place so it's not obnoxious to climb the same sections every time.

>The second is the use of classic 2D Mario side scrolling to get to the top of a place. Again it feels lazy and not very creative

>Variety in gameplay is lazy

>The third thing is the UI.
It could be more "Mario" looking but it does the job well enough. Personally I feel like the "clean and sleek" feel was done this way to help pander to an older audience as that's what Nintendo's advertising has been about recently.
>>
>>381313482
Nobody gives a shit about your opinions, you fucking autist.
>>
File: 18sr5b6vshvy5jpg.jpg (100KB, 450x257px) Image search: [Google]
18sr5b6vshvy5jpg.jpg
100KB, 450x257px
I wonder if there is a sewer in New Donk
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.