[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>made one of the greatest games ever and highest earning moneymaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_8597.jpg (125KB, 881x537px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8597.jpg
125KB, 881x537px
>made one of the greatest games ever and highest earning moneymaker of its time
>instead of capitalising on it and learning from its success, you make these two pieces of garbage instead

What went wrong?
>>
>>381307824
Sakaguchi was a hack and Squaresoft was just as terrible as Squeenix.
>>
>>381307824
nomura being in any position besides art design. VIII was the beginning of the end. no idea how IX happened only to be followed up by the nail in the coffin.
>>
>>381307824
FFVIII was a good follow up. That movie not so much, although it was stupid real looking for the time.
>>
>>381308243
This. But more than that, most of the now Squeenix team is shit. The devs behind Squaresoft's games left at some point, probably with Sakaguchi to Mistwalker (which made a couple of good JRPGs then died) or in the corporate reshuffle of Squeenix.

That terrible film is mostly to blame. It fucked over Sakaguchi and made it easy for the corporate heads to axe him. Whatever you think of Sakaguchi what replaced him has proven to be far worse.
>>
As a kid I liked VIII more than VII just because of the card game. No joke.
>>
I like the spirit within
>>
>>381308384
A decent chunk of Squaresoft went to Monolith when they broke off.
>>
>>381307824
Still have Vietnam flashbacks about 8.

>spending 2 hours farming magic spells
>forget what enemies you need to encounter to draw certain spells
>before family had internet
>have to buy strategy guide
>tons of summons
>never use them because later in the game they're useless

Fuck the draw system, fuck junctioning, fuck 8.
>>
>>381307824
he was ready to be done and start his rap career obv
>>
>>381308794
>>never use them because later in the game they're useless
You did junction them, right?
>>
Didn't FF8 sold more than FF7 before the internet happened?
>>
>>381308794
Don't be salty just because you're junction-illiterate, anon.

You need to G E T G O O D
>>
>>381307824
The only bad part of FF8 was the draw system and perhaps the level scaling.
>>
>we will never have a game based off the concept of Spirits Within

Post apocalyptic game with power armour against alien spirits that eat your spirits sounds like a good game. Not a final fantasy, but another game.
>>
>>381308794
>spending 2 hours farming magic spells
Why the fuck would you do that instead of just using Quetzaqotl's card ability to liquefy items into magic?

I swear, most people who bash FF8 are mentally retarded.
>>
>>381309168
I was 9, my kiddie brain couldn't handle shit like that.
>>
>>381309342
After FFVIIRemake and FFXV DLCs, squeenix should honestly stop making FFs for a while and come up with a new IP
>>
>>381308243
>nomura co-wrote the story of FF7 and was heavily involved in its development
>had nothing to do with FF8 other than chara design
>Also wasn't involved with spirits within
>Never heavily involved in a Final Fantasy again until Versus.

Doesn't check out with what you're saying senpai
>>
>>381308384
>That terrible film is mostly to blame. It fucked over Sakaguchi and made it easy for the corporate heads to axe him

More bullshit, Sakaguchi getting axed had nothing to do with the movie.

Wada was the one who convinced the board that Sakaguchi is a reckless man and should get demoted.

The whole story is out on this matter, get educated.
>>
>>381308794
Was it autism?
>>
>>381310567

Nomura designed the fight scenes in AC, which the series erroneously tried recapture in the games ever since. Nomura is directly responsible for the culture of Final Fantasy.

>>381309367

I, for one, only play "perfect" playthroughs. Those would be lost items. You'll reach a draw zen by missile base.
>>
>>381309286
I grind like crazy at FF8 (like at other FF games i play) only to find out it'll make the game harder, it's fucking bullshit
Ended up having to cheated through Ultimecia
>>
>>381309002
>FFVIII
>before internet

Oh, hey child.
>>
File: 1341275378207.jpg (168KB, 703x503px) Image search: [Google]
1341275378207.jpg
168KB, 703x503px
>>381310897
I hate to be the person to break this to you, but "grinding" in RPGs is for idiotproofing bad players from the challenging segments.

I don't think that level scaling is the way to do solve the issue personally, but the problem is there. Not everyone has the skill to complete what essentially constitutes resource-allocation puzzles (EXP, equipment, levels, etc.) IMO having a time factor like Persona is the proper way to balance a game because chronological opportunity costs is an easily accessible concept for all players, while simultaneously balancing everything based on "if you go to fish in the pond on Tuesday, you can't complete the dungeon that day"
>>
>>381311012
In 1999 only 46% of American adults used the internet, which wasn't even a majority
>>
>>381307824
I think VIII was an issue of trying to really change the series up but going too far. Spirits Within was just bad management and marketing.
>>
>>381308243
9 was a spinoff called FF Gaiden that got rebranded into a mainline entry.
>>
>>381308593
A handful of people is not a decent chunk.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.