[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the boss fights in this game remind me of western boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56KB, 256x369px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56KB, 256x369px
Why do the boss fights in this game remind me of western boss fights?

They just lack the kind of breathlessness that other Souls games have, they feel low energy.
>>
Dude in armour in a western fantasy setting, I was gonna disagree but I don't even believe myself anymore
>>
>>381307465
Please don't insult Souls by comparing it to trash western games, thank you
>>
>>381307213
B-Team
>>
There are a lot of flat bosses in this game, but there are also a lot of great ones. Mirror Knight, Sir Alonne, and Fume Knight are some of the series' best fights.

And let's not pretend Dark Souls didn't have some stinkers, either. I'm looking at you, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, and Moonlight Butterfly. And let's not even mention Bed of Chaos or the fact that you fight the Asylum Demon three fucking times.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
Gimmicky boss fights either ruin the fun by being too difficult mechanically, or are insanely simple once the trick is known.

DS2 was my first venture into the series and I'll never forget getting my dick stomped into the dirt by the pursuer a million and a half times and the best/worst part of it all was that I could tell it was my lack of skill with the combat system that made it so.
>>
>>381307213
>They just lack the kind of breathlessness that other Souls games have
You mean like 1, outside the exceptions like O&S, all the DLC ones and Gwyn? All good in presentation but shit in actual gameplay.
>>
>>381308641
Pursuer is a perfect example of a noob killer. People new to the game will find him to be a nightmare, while anyone who's been playing the game for a while can beat him in their sleep.
>>
>>381307213
Why does this post remind me of shitty bait?

It just lacks the kind of effort that other /v/ posts have, it feels low quality
>>
>>381308831
This is how dark souls 2 fans defend their game guys
>>
>>381308875
This is how baiters defend their bait guys
>>
>>381307213
Fume knight was one of the hardest but most enjoyable boss fight in any souls games. Also the chaos king fight had an interesting buildup and execution so or gets points as well. Scorpion and Medusa were crap though.

Ds3 had the final dlc boss and flying electric ostrich man as top contenders.
>>
>>381307213
Tracking up to the last windup frame, boring moves, generally bad design. It actually resembles King's Field, which is in itself a western mimicry.
>>
>>381308789
If it's your first game in the series, he is a joke as soon as you realize you can strafe all of his attacks and just run away from his slow as fuck combos
>>
File: 1496812617797.jpg (808KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1496812617797.jpg
808KB, 2048x2048px
>>381307213
The boss fights are consistently mediocre besides the dlcs and some better ones in the vanilla game. I don't think theres a boss as bad as bed of chaos in dark souls 2, but I don't think there's a boss as good as artorias/nameless king either.
>>
File: 1497595224143.jpg (322KB, 719x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1497595224143.jpg
322KB, 719x1111px
FROM did something properly with bosses in DS1 and for some reason they didn't even bother with DS2.

I can name all the DS bosses but only a few DS2 ones. It's bizarre.
>>381308135
i remember all of these but only AFTER you mentioned them.
>>
>>381308951
We could go on forever friend
>>
File: 1435548188651.png (260KB, 499x481px) Image search: [Google]
1435548188651.png
260KB, 499x481px
>>381307213
>They just lack the kind of breathlessness that other Souls games have
Oh god, I actually have some deep-seated reservations about Dark Souls II and I have actual criticisms about many of the fundamental flaws in game design the game suffers from but never gets addressed , but this is singlehandedly the most eye-rolling hairsplitting I've ever seen
>>
>>381308789
I still consider Pursuer the best boss on that mess. It's like they put him there at the start to keep you excited for what you would fight next. Then you get the armored guy brigade and the butchering of mythology tropes until the very end.
>>
You know, when I think about it, none of the DS2 bosses are that memorable. Aside from that underground sanctuary dragon, none of them are really worth remembering. They're all tank squads or just boring.

What went wrong?
>>
>>381309383
He's not wrong, he's just saying they're boring in a needlessly flamboyant way
>>
>>381309312
There is, but it's the most hidden one in the game and it's a mage instead of a swordman.

>>381309330
It's just bias.
>>
>>381309563
So DaS1?
>>
>>381309607
What, Darkwhatsitcalled?
>>
EVERY BOSS IN DS2 WAS BETTER THAN ANY BOSS IN DS3

Not trolling. I have unironically joined the DS2 was better than DS3 meme club.

The Pursuer is a great early game boss
Executioner's Chariot is a good unique boss
Looking Glass Knight has great atmosphere
Ruin Sentinels is pretty good
Duke's Dear Freyja is high tier
The Rotten is good
Old Dragonslayer is fun
Smelter Demon is merciless and a good solid boss

That's not even mentioning the DLC, please explain how even one of DS3 bosses is on the level of these.
>>
File: darklurker.png (29KB, 150x300px) Image search: [Google]
darklurker.png
29KB, 150x300px
>>381309816
Yes, the dark smug man(?) of duplicity and portals.
>>
>>381309947
I don't know about that. He was alright, hardly top tier.

>>381309935
>The Pursuer is a great early game boss
>Looking Glass Knight has great atmosphere
That's about it.

>The Rotten is good
You know what, fuck off.
>>
>>381309672
Literally
>no u

Get a brain, retard
>>
>>381310416
I would only need a brain if i was a biased fuck with shit taste. This isn't even defending 2 or whatever, this is ruling out 1 from the rest: outside the DLC and final boss, every DaS1 boss sucks. The Four Great Souls undermine themselves by being some of the actually shittiest fights in the game. Oh but O&S is great though.

DeS were all easy and simple but at least had gimmicks and good presentation.
>>
File: 1429675112419.png (56KB, 268x240px) Image search: [Google]
1429675112419.png
56KB, 268x240px
>>381309935
>classic deflection
>subjective unsubstantiated opinions

>hurr durr ds2 is good because ds3 is worse
>hurr durr ds2 is a good game because it's cool, and I liked it, and it was fun

Very compelling points you made, anon. You've shown me the way
>>
>>381307213
I do nothing but pvp in dark souls 2 sotfs, just get the pve over with, get a sl150 and hit up brother of blood arena/iron keep.
Shit is fun as fuck.
>>
Honestly other than the art direction, some of the animations (like the shitty mocapped walking), and soul memory, I mostly enjoyed Dark Souls 2
>>
>>381308789
Pursuer is probably the best. Mytha's design is the worst. Old Dragonslayer is the worst.
>>
>>381310979
To elaborate, Mytha is "what fucking game am I playing" tier regarding fitting in.

Najka, who I initially forgot, is just a shitty reuse of Quelaag's animations.

Old Dragonslayer is lazy. Lazy. Pointless, easy, and lazy. Slapdash.
>>
>>381309935

All three DLCs only have two good bosses between all three.
>>
>>381307213
But DaS has the same lack of energy with bosses especially in the first half.

Half of the bosses are demons with minimal lore. For a game with only 22 bosses, that does not leave too many to shine.
>>
>>381307213
Shitty design on a big bunch of them
>>
>>381311130
>is a reuse of Quelaag even thought they share 1(one) move
?
>>
>>381310768
If anyone thinks that DaS3 is worse than DaS2, then that person is legitimately retarded. Literally braindead.
>>
>>381310749
What are you rambling on about? You sound like some fuming 3rd world nigger. It's an easy point to make that the bosses in the first game only ever seldom dipped below a certain threshold of quality because they at least provided a certain level of flexibility in how you dealt with the fight. Bosses like Qualagg, Sif, and the Belfry Gargoyles are all mechanically simple but well executed fights while it's really only Bed of Chaos, Centipede Demon, and Ceaseless Discharge that are qualifiedly bad bosses as they fail to properly execute their gimmick accordingly like the formerly listed. Besides that, all the bosses are varied in design and mechanics with each taking place in a memorable local in addition to being properly integrated into the setting of the game, maintaining artistic cohesion of the game world. All the bosses in Dark Souls devolve into a tired and boring game of poke-n-run with ugly muddy visuals while looking and feeling out of place and nonsensical.

Dark Souls is a varied experience of several well-crafted experiences that a sum of their parts while Dark Souls 2 is repetitive, unimaginative slog and you know this is true
>>
File: najka.jpg (386KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
najka.jpg
386KB, 1920x1080px
>>381311403
I'm saying they use the same skele rigging, though modified for Najka. And that she doesn't really fit in. Dark Souls 2 skews in this weird generic D&D fantasy direction.

The closest we get to an explanation is "Seath's experiments". And then it turns out Seath himself was a lich or something.

I'm saying I rate them low because they don't fit in. ODS is the only boss I actually take issue with for being what it is, but even that I'll give a slight pass of the devs being cheeky. I just find him to be poorly implemented otherwise.

I like DaS2. The only damning flaw of DaS2 is Soul Memory. Soul Memory fag drags new players through the online player tiers when it was meant to make life better for them by preventing twinking. The devs totally misunderstood how twinking worked and the result was that catastrophe.
>>
>>381311858
I honestly never minded her or Mytha because well, the first game had a goddamn hydra.
>>
>>381311773
No.
>>
>>381312157
DaS1 had a lot of weird dragon-like enemies. But they were written up as being bastard mutant descendants of the true dragons.
>>
>>381307213
>Dude in armor with big weapon
Dragon rider
Twin dragon rider
Old dragonslayer
Flexile Sentry
Mytha baneful queen
Giant Lord
Vendrick
Mirror Knight
Last Giant
Skeleton Lords
Ruin Sentinels
Velstadt
Throne Watcher/Defender
Lost Sinner

>Unique bosses
Demon of song
The Rotten
Duke's Dear Freja
Royal Rat Vanguard
Nashandra
Executioner's Chariot

>shit tier
Ancient Dragon
Guardian Dragon
Royal Rat Authority
Lol 7 gargoyles
Magus+Congregation

Not counting dlc, DaSII has a majority of terrible bosses or just plain unoriginal and boring ones
>>
>>381311143
>Sinh, Sir Allone, Fume Knight, Chaos dude are all pretty solid
>Maybe Elana if you don't mind her summoning a previous boss
>1cat is kind of decent
>Only the single coop challenge bosses in each DLC are really bad because it's gank squad, Magic Smelter with changed timings and 2cat

That's more than 2.

>>381312552
Several of the bosses in your dude in armor with big weapon list aren't dudes, aren't in armor and/or don't have big weapons. What is Mytha or Skeleton Lords doing on that list for instance?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.