[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of opening a small game store. Please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 32

File: store.jpg (645KB, 968x648px) Image search: [Google]
store.jpg
645KB, 968x648px
I'm thinking of opening a small game store. Please talk me out of it.
>>
>>381283105
Open up a large game store instead.
>>
>>381283175
Anon knows what's up
>>
>>381283105
do it faggot
>>
Why would you assume there is any money in physical video game media these days?
>>
>>381283105
Good luck you fucking idiot
>>
>>381283105
just give me your credit card if you want to go bankrupt
>>
>paying rent on real estate to sell something that can be ordered online or bought digitally , or at other stores

thank god im not as dumb as you
>>
>>381283105
SUPER PRO ADVICE COMIN' AT CHU
Set up an area where bored kids who just bought their games can play it on a store console in the back, charge it on a per hour basis.
After taking the combined lunch moneys of all the kids in the area turn it into a gaming lounge thingy where nigs can chill and play vydja.
>>
>>381283105
>digital media overtakes physical media
>I should open a physical media store!

t. retard
>>
Brick and mortar stores are dying already.
>>
>>381283105
Open an arcade instead.

Please I don't have anywhere to play anymore.
>>
File: normie.jpg (253KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
normie.jpg
253KB, 1440x1080px
>>381283251

I thought I could make it an all purpose media store. You know, vinyl records, games, movies, yugioh tournaments on weekends, maybe a few arcade machines thrown in there. I know it's a dumb idea, but I'd like to make it work.
>>
There's no fucking way to make money unless you stick to jewry like Gamestop.

Just stick to enjoying games in your free time and open a hipster organic coffee shop or some shit.
>>
>>381283105
you'll have to close up and sleep on the streets paying back your serfdom tax in no time
>>
>>381283406

He should rent out space for game related events.

It have to be a place where people actually want to go and meet up with people to play games.
>>
>>381283487
Is there demand for a board game/DnD shop in your area? That might be the way to go, then sell some games on the side.

Your focus shouldn't be on games themselves but rather merchandise, figurines and shit.
>>
>>381283487
>vinyl records
Do you want your store full of hipsters?
>>
>>381283105
Your parents can't afford it.
>>
>>381283251
Sales of physical copies of old games and systems are rising. "Fucking normies" don't care for all of the bullshit that modern consoles have in their bloated platforms, and would rather go looking for some classic Marios.

>>381283487
>>381283175
These. Get a few tables in there for card games and D&D. Organize some campaigns or tourneys or whatever with a small entry fee and there's a subscriber base.
>>
>competing with Amazon

If you really hate money that much...
>>
You and your store will end up like Blockbuster in 5 years time, if that.
>>
File: jews.png (574KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
jews.png
574KB, 605x558px
>>381283628

>Feeling bad about ripping off hipsters

Why would this ever be an issue?
>>
>>381283105
Start an arcade that also happens to sell used games
>>
>>381283568
No, god no.

We had a guy around here in Tallahassee who had the idea to run a "pay to play" model for vidya. He ended up becoming a glorified babysitter; keeping an eye on parent's kids during the summer while they played Call of Duty and Minecraft.

Guy went out of business only a year in because nobody else would come in besides the kids.
>>
>>381283880
If he got a lot of business, why did he fail?
>>
>>381283861

So arcade first, game store second? Do people still like going to arcades when they can pull out a phone to play games?
>>
There is no possible way to compete or make a living just selling games. Even if you deal in used games as well. Gamestop gets buy on subscriptions, gaming culture merchandise, and favorable lease's because almost all of their stores have been in place for 20+ years since Gamestop doesn't open stores, they buy existing ones like Funcoland.

Opening up a comic/card/game shop is bad business and something you can only really afford to do as a side hobby if you make bank at a real job.
>>
>>381283628
Money is money if I could take advantage of a bunch of retards who want to pay a premium for an obsolete format I would.
>>
>>381283880
Meant for >>381283407
>>
>>381283880

That doesn't surprise me.

some gaming stores already felt that way a little, from what I observed.
>>
>>381283105
I live in Puerto Rico and there's a game store nearby that opened after Gamestop left the island. It has been successful as far as I can tell, and they have both retro and new games.
You can succeed, but it's risky. Amazon and Best Buy are offering discounts for preordering new games, you probably can't compete there. If you're selling retro, you have to compete with craigslist, ebay, etc prices. Good luck.
Personally, I wouldn't do it.
>>
File: 1436481727142.png (735KB, 1189x810px) Image search: [Google]
1436481727142.png
735KB, 1189x810px
>>381283105
Amazon, Steam, Walmart, Gamestop, eBay, Craigslist, that hot milf's garage sale, etc.
>>
File: 01.png (89KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
89KB, 600x606px
>>381284045
>that hot milf's garage sale

Tell me more.
>>
>>381283970
He charged less to attract parents to pay for his services rather than a conventional babysitter, and most of his money came in only in the Summer.

He still had to pay off the bank loans, rent, etc.
>>
>>381283251
There is if you live in Japan.
>>
If you're a Saudi oil prince or a kid who has a multi-million dollar trust fund, go for it. If you don't have absurd amount of excess wealth, don't. If Gamestop is losing hundreds of millions of dollars, why do you think you'd be able to stay afloat in an industry that's moving toward digital? I love the concept of being able to go to a local store and build my collection of older games and systems, but 99% of the time it's more expensive than just buying it on ebay.
>>
>>381284330
and anywhere that isn't north america
>>
>>381284376
You'd be better off just not having a store if you were wealthy anyways. You'd have to deal with retards constantly, and it's be easier to just do whatever you want.
>>
File: very kind.jpg (100KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
very kind.jpg
100KB, 640x960px
Ok so what I'm hearing is there's no way to make money on video games ALONE. What else would a store that sells games need to do to work? Do you turn it into a general Pawn / resale Shop? Turn it into an arcade to get people in the door? Pinball museum?
>>
>>381284330
Mandarake is cool as shit. I'd love to have something like that near me, but I'd be their only customer.
>>
>>381283976

>Do people still like going to arcades when they can pull out a phone to play games?

Gotta go full barcade if you're going to do it. Most "regular" arcades I've seen in the last decade are just oversized mobile apps, but barcades tend to have the good games and get decent crowds most nights of the week.

Granted, it would be harder to sell physical vidya in that environment, but it could be pulled off.
>>
>>381284330
Actually a lot of the smaller places are dying. The ones that are surviving sell statues and/or sell above internet prices. American journalist complain about how the great deals are all gone.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=2704
>>
>>381284605

Wargaming might sell, although I don't know what the marigins are after licensing.
>>
Put a glory hole in the bathrooms.
>>
File: 1495081521621.jpg (29KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
1495081521621.jpg
29KB, 597x597px
>>381283105
> hard to make a profit anyway due to rent and local ordinances
> kids and trashy people will steal shit
> even though don't steal shit they usually will loiter with poor hygiene
> you would have to sell games at a higher price
> you have to interact with people, usually the people that do that the best are not the people who play video games

Don't do it
>>
>>381283105
A gamer styled cafe would be more profitable.
>>
>>381283105
All the ones in my area are making serious bank, but I live in a pretty big city full of hipsters that see "breath of fire" for $200 and think "omg I've heard of that before xd i'll buy it"

No box, no manual, just the cart. $200.
>>
>>381285004

What magic city is this? Jewberg?
>>
>>381283861
This, my town has a vintage nerd stuff store / arcade. The front is all figurines and other bullshit for the things that normie-nerds like (star wars, star trek, sailor moon, etc) plus they sell old video games. The back has a fully working arcade with cabinets mostly from the 80s/90s. The place entirely marketed to appeal to old people feeling nostalgia and spending money on shit that they don't need.
Yeah, it's a bad business idea and probably doomed to fail but what else are you gonna do with your money? Pay for kids college or some bullshit? They are just gonna squander that, anon.
>>
>>381285004
If you're OP then rent is going to be ridiculous unless there's strip malls everywhere where you can get a good deal.
>>
>>381285186
Oh there are, dead strip malls everywhere, but rent is still ridiculous.
>>
>>381285004
San Francisco?

Me and my cousin opened a barcade in NC. We have arcade machines and $10 an hour booths. We don't have the legal clearance to sell alcohol like a regular bar but we registered as a "club" like a moose lodge or something. So when a person comes in the first time they pay $5 and get a club id. Every other time it's free. The arcade games are all free to play and the money comes from drinks food and host parties at the booths. The FGC people started using us and it's been smooth sailing since then. Tekken 7 has got us so much traffic.
>>
>>381285497
>San Fran
Nah, Canada, so close enough

Also that bar idea sounds fun / cool as shit!
>>
>>381284605
I'm going to teach you how to go full jew. Pay close attention.

Your best bet is to buy shit off LukieGames, charge them for a 10% increase in price sans special editions and rare games (which you should bump up like 20% if you want to roll in the cash), and offer custom repros which are easy to make if you have the know-how.

Arcades and pinballs are money sinkholes, and you should only offer a single MAME cabinet if you want to siphon money off customers over the course of a few years.

Decorate your shop with neat shit on top of shelves and put "Not for Sale" signs on them. Some really interested people will bargin more than the usual asking price if it catches their eye. You'll "reluctantly" take their offer.

Offer a few CRTs with a "game of the day" hooked up, and offer a 15% discount on it. You'll lose 5% from the LukieGames asking price, but chances are they'll want to get more games with it. People love buying in bulk.

Cull sports games, gambling games, shovelware.

Charge double for repairs on parts and consoles.

Get repro cases in bulk for torn / worn out PS2, 360, and other cases. If you bought the particular case in bad condition, this lets you raise the price back up to "good".

Kick out fags who spout VGA nonsense.

Congrats, you're now running a successful shop.
>>
we're literally less than 10 years away from digital only consoles
>>
>>381283105
There was a store like this near me but they ended up focusing on MtG because nobody gives 2 shits about physical games outside of online stores, downloading digitally, and GameStop. Moral of the story, if you're going to open a store, offer a service you can't get easily elsewhere (online, major retailers). You could try to host tourneys, but then your success depends on the local gaming community.
>>
>>381283105
Youd probably make more money as a street corner "cat exorcist" homeless man who just masturbated on passerbys.
>>
>>381285497
where in NC anon? Near Raleigh pls
>>
>>381285905
>Your best bet is to buy shit off LukieGames,

A few quick price comparisons of sega genesis games on that site compared to eBay says that's a fucking horrible idea. Why lukieGames? They don't seem any cheaper than eBay.
>>
Retail barely profits on a store by store basis.
I used to be a manager at a autoparts store and on average we would profit 15% per sale.
Now factor in costs of everything. Employees, Insurances, Building lease or maintenance costs, product costs, etc.
Retail is dying because people cant mark shit up anymore like they used to, with the availability of online purchasing at much lower cost retail stores are forced to lower prices and barely break even.
Now that being said corporations have tons of overhead thats unnecessary but they will get a billion times more sales per day than you will.
>>
File: mother3.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
mother3.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
>>381283105
Open a flea market booth and sell bootleg shit from Aliexpress
it's what I plan to do
buy a ton of RPGs for five bucks each and make 300% to 500% profit while also undercutting every other store offering repro games in the area
>>
>>381283105
not worth it unless...

you host card game tournaments (all of them)

you host console tournaments (all of them)

you host figure tournaments (all of them)
>>
>>381286402
It is probably that fags liquidation sale after he tried to open a store like OP.

>inb4 lukiegames poster says he isnt from lukiegames
>>
>>381286402
No collector in their right minds uses eBay.
>>
>>381286330
Fayetteville. We got a location real cheap because someone didn't want to deal with cleaning up after hurricane matthew. The place looks like it hasn't been touched since the 80's with brown carpet, tan paint, and fake wood everywhere but it sort of fits. We just got the Simpsons and a pool table.
>>
>>381286559
this anon gets it
like I said above, you can't really do a store like this without it devolving into tourney autism
>>
>>381286954
>devolving into tourney autism

Never been to one of these stores. Give me an example of tournament autism.
>>
>>381287168
neck beards as far as the eye can see
>>
File: God Bless America.jpg (71KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
God Bless America.jpg
71KB, 582x600px
>>381283406

Invest in real estate, there is a finite amount of land while an infinite of retards who think like you do.

Also, 75% of all small businesses fail within the first 5 years.

t. Scumbag Accountancy major and Marketing minor.
>>
>>381286039
>CoD last year was the top grossing game and made literally 99% of it's money from 12 million physical console game sales
why do PCfats still think they matter? don't worry im sure they'll come out with steambox any day now and we'll all bow down to gaben
>>
>>381287168
I mostly have experience with MtG, but tourneys often end up being a social setting, but the competitive aspect often attracts the worst kind of autist on both ends of the skill spectrum, ie tryhard spikes who take low stakes local tourneys way too seriously, and newfags and (often literal) retards who can't into strategy and get mad when they lose.
>>
>>381284220
Why didn't he realize his market was flawed and try to attract a more stable/lucrative base, perhaps charging more than kids could afford (or even setting up rules hostile to parents wanting to drop their kids off like 'parental supervision required for children under 10, or for children playing games above their age')
>>
>>381283105
Amazon, online shops, and rentals are putting brick and mortar businesses out to the curb like cellphones did to the pager.
>>
>>381287568

So 1/4 of small stores succeed then? That's better than I thought.
>>
>>381283105
taking returns from sassy black woman and mean Mexicans.
>>
google "gamestop"
>>
File: photo_11.jpg (58KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
photo_11.jpg
58KB, 650x365px
>>381283880
Here in Korea we have these things called 플스방 or 'PSroom' where you basically pay an hourly fee to play a PS4 on a huge TV. It's fairly popular with teens and college kids alike because they usually don't have a console at home and they can play with their friends.
I don't think this kid of business would work outside of Asia though since everyone has a huge living room abroad.
>>
>>381288000

If you only have to do better than gamestop the the bar is set pretty low.
>>
>>381283105
There's no money in it and online prices will always be cheaper.
>>
File: Big Smug.gif (186KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
Big Smug.gif
186KB, 678x422px
>>381287916

I'm glad you have a basic understanding of %'s.

Anyways, I'm interning at a Small Business Consulting Firm and we're fucking Gang Busters.

These shitty idea startups, complete lack of intelligent execution and talent trying to also be management has results in them going the way of the Do Do.

But when your business is already 3 feet in the grave what's some more money to pay a consult who could turn the business around and save you.

You have no idea the amount of money this 5 man firm makes from these business plebs; we milk them for every penny while we appear to be trying to save them.

It's a lot of fun.
>>
File: girl.jpg (23KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
girl.jpg
23KB, 500x375px
>>381288615

So if everything's going under due to amazon, why don't I just cut out the middleman, make a resale store that buys from people, ship it to amazon for them to sell for me, & use the proceeds to fund the game store's tournaments & arcade machine maintenance? The store makes money, it's scale-able, & it still leaves a local store presence for the community to play arcade games & cards. If mitigating all the overhead through amazon STILL wouldn't keep a small game store in business then it really is hopeless.
>>
File: Ballin'.jpg (867KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ballin'.jpg
867KB, 1920x1080px
>>381289003

You missed your chance, senpai.

Every asshole has found out about abracadabr by now so you're just another nobody trying to cut overhead in a business that earns very little, if any, profit.

I don't want to discourage you but do not go into your venture balls deep; start slow as fuck, sloth tier slow and see if it sustainable and worth your time.
>>
>>381288570

He's mostly correct.

But there is an exception to every rule and that rule is his mother.

Her price gets lower and lower every week.
>>
>>381284976

IDK. I have a local card shop that sells cards, board games, and some others stuff and they did well enough to open up another location. It's a small store too. Like, they don't hold much inventory. But there's enough demand around here for a place for people to go and play card games and such. And if you can get them into your store for that, you can also probably up-sell them on some cards and shit. The rent on the store can't possibly be that expensive either. So you have low inventory, low rent, and low upkeep. Those are pretty great marks for a successful business.
>>
>>381283105
You'll go out of business and your only customers will be minorities looking to rob you and reseller retro faggots
>>
Shit profits, shit working hours, you literally won't be able to compete with Amazon and will have to resort to sell retro games, which means you'll probably end up spending your weekends rummaging through free markets hoping to find good deals, competing with 100 other resellers that do the same every week.
It's literally shit.
Open a gas station or just use that money to sniff glue or something more productive.
Vidya stores are literally shit and will make you hate vidya.
>>
>>381292017
>will make you hate vidya.

So what you're saying is I have nothing to lose.
>>
>>381284605

The income I always hear from retro store owners do the best is repairs and customs.
>>
File: IMG_5385.png (733KB, 760x839px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5385.png
733KB, 760x839px
Whatever you try to do you'll end up with wall to wall Pop Vinyls to make ends meet. I've seen it over and over.
>>
>>381293470

How many were gamestops though?
>>
>>381293470
>have a friend who is almost 40
>buys those things

my grandpa went around fucking hookers in his late 80s, my generation buys ugly vinyl figures of characters with all the character removed from them..
>>
>>381286502
Enjoy your visit from Uncle Sam
>>
>>381286502

other than poorfags buying bootleg pokemon titles, collectorfags hate repros with the exception of games that were not released outside moonland but have fanslations or romhacks.
>>
>>381286502

>supporting counterfeiters

fuck off. they are the reason I never buy cartridges off ebay anymore.
>>
>>381283105
Sell model kits and comics, too. You will not last selling sole games.
>>
>>381293615
A few. There's also a local chain that has three stores that used to sell retro vidya and anime merch that's all Pop Vinyls now. That and a small local store a friend of a friend opened.

>>381293640
If you're trying to imply spending all your money on hookers is a good idea I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>381284042
WAIT THERE'S STILL A GAME STORE ON THIS FUCKING ISLAND
WHAT IS IT CALLED DAMN YOU
>>
File: lemon.jpg (53KB, 750x557px) Image search: [Google]
lemon.jpg
53KB, 750x557px
>>381294095

Can we get a list going?

Vidya
Arcade machines on the sides
comics
card game tournaments
fighting game tournaments
tabletop game tournaments
funkopops/ used toys

Anything I'm missing?
>>
If you're still around, OP, my brother in law did and the wife helped out a bunch.

It's a nightmare staying competitive with GameStop/Amazon and worse by the day. Dont even begin if you're not excited to shake people down for trade ins and spend your time constantly worrying about advertising
>>
>>381294320
generic vidya shirts
>>
>>381294320
anime/comic/vidya shirts
>>
The last thing the world needs is another overpriced retro game store that expects me to pay 40 bucks for Mario 3 loose.
>>
>>381294468

Advertising is free & generally a waste of time. You do a few youtube videos, maybe some other social media stuff & you're done. If you're suggesting commercials or ads in the paper then you're out of your mind. A single free youtube video would do more advertising than any radio station commercial.
>>
>>381294605

How much should a loose mario bros. 3 even sell for? $15? $20?
>>
>>381293427
Modding used to be pretty profitable back during the PS2/Xbox era but now that modding is either impossible or substantially easier that's not a thing anymore.
Most hacks nowadays are all done in software and are retardproof after a couple months out.
>>
File: 1449349125591.gif (2MB, 500x578px) Image search: [Google]
1449349125591.gif
2MB, 500x578px
>>381283105
People won't come when Amazon and digital exists. Don't waste your money.
>>
>>381294759
15 dollars. It's a million seller and very common.
>>
>>381283487
we have a couple in town like that
they're dead always
every time i go in there's maybe 1 or max 2 other people in there
and they sell like DVDs for 1$ each and a lot of older games for like 1-8$...
Don't know how they possibly make money
>>
buy a fuck tonne of mice and have store models you can fuck around with
>>
stock and sell fidget spinners.
>>
>>381297060

That fad lasted like a week.
>>
>>381283105
Sell magic cards. Easy customers.
>>
>>381283105
Please open one up near me so I can actually buy shit locally
>>
>>381283105
>>381283483
Seriously I want to play Initial D. I'd give you so many dollars in quarters OP.
>>
>>381283654
If you do what this anon says make sure there's some nice ventilation, otherwise the smell of virginity and depression is gonna stick.
>>
>>381283105
If this was /tg/, I'd say go for it because those stores still have a place in the world (The give people a sense of community, and generally people that play cards and tabletop need a platform to get their shit going, hence those places getting steady business.)

But if you want to go straight video games, it's not going to work.
>>
>>381283105
Make some cash and do console + game rentals. Let people relive shit.
>>
>>381284045
>its a haha thanks for buying this old thing you know i've been pretty lonely since my husband died episode
>>
File: 1458871049738.png (36KB, 108x135px) Image search: [Google]
1458871049738.png
36KB, 108x135px
>>381283498
>not having a coffe shop/arcade hybrid
step your game up sludge lord
>>
>>381283105
damn this really looks like a small game store in my city; Letterbox Videogames
>>
File: worthless.jpg (22KB, 424x317px) Image search: [Google]
worthless.jpg
22KB, 424x317px
Physical games are on their way out, and they aren't coming back. Even now when you buy a game you essentially get half of the game in an unfinished state. You need to download the other half of the game and all the fixes for their fuckups. Even if you have the disc, you are still dependent on an internet connection as well as the game servers staying up for updates.

I don't see this as a good thing, in fact I really dislike it and its caused me to seriously cut back on any new software spending. I still buy games. I purchased Resident Evil 7 and Wipeout Omega Collection this year, but its not nearly as much as before. I would have bought more than two games in any given year back in the day. Now that I know what I am essentially buying is a rental, rather than anything permanent.

All of the non Gamestop games around here are gone except for 1, and they substitute their games with comics and convention autism. Their used games are all in amazing condition though. Clean case, small unobstrusive price sticker that's easy to goo-gone off, manuals (unless otherwise stated), clean resurfaced discs, just A+ all around. Unfortunately like before there is no reason to buy used games. Get a 40 dollar PS2 hard drive get all the games. Get a $80 N64 flash cart get all the games. Get an extra cable and a copy of splinter cell get all the Xbox games. Nobody buys used games except autists like me to enjoy plastic cases to fill the void in our lives.

Where was I going? Fuck if I know. Basipally you're a meme and I miss physical media.
>>
>>381283105
If you do go through with it, set up 3 sections. One for vidya, one for anime / manga, one for music / movies / mixed media. like >>381298701 this anon said, let people rent shit out for a weekend. And what a lot of other anon's said, put out a lot of tournaments and events so people like it. Maybe have a movie / anime night or something.
>>
Game Over somehow manages to make it by. Hell, it looks like they're branching out. Just don't accept any sports games.
>>
>>381286559
>>381287168
>>381286954
>>381287757
So what if the tournaments was in the style of Lucha Underground
Or do people just want to win even in a boring way?
>>
>>381283487
This is a much better idea. I wish we had more places like that where I live. I was kicked out of the only ship like that for kicking the owners as in a Yugioh tourney and bragging about it. Dude claims I stole cards while a buddy was in the back.
>>
>>381299230
Oh my god this.

What should I do with all my sports games?

I probably have 50 copies of BLT NKB whatever 2000-2006
>>
>>381299230
>Just don't accept any sports games.

You're an idiot if you think every single sport game ever made is worthless. There's exceptions.
>>
>>381291706
World-8?
>>
>>381283487
Do this in a college town and you'll be fine, do it anywhere else and it'll be dead 90% of the time
>>
Card games in general will be enough to keep you in business, especially doing regular draft nights for more niche games. If you want to still do some vidya, focus more on rare games and collector's items. Perhaps have some weekly local tournaments for fighting games.

There's still money to be made in stuff that brings people together for competition, but actually selling stuff in a physical store is ultra dead
>>
>>381299678
Super Tecmo Bowl. Hands down the best sports game ever produced.
>>
File: wheelie.jpg (260KB, 825x1125px) Image search: [Google]
wheelie.jpg
260KB, 825x1125px
What would you name your game/comic/hobby resale store? Could use some ideas.
>>
>>381299678
of course, it's more like a no ea sports games rule. If you don't lay down the law your store will turn into a dump.
>>
>>381300017
The Basement. It sounds smooth off the tongue and it instantly reminds people of what's sold there.
>>
File: NBA Street Vol 2.jpg (347KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NBA Street Vol 2.jpg
347KB, 1500x1000px
>>381299892

I think that's why they don't make timess sports games anymore. They hold up too well, so they can't just sell a new roster with "Poverty ball 20XX" on it.
>>
Put a VR demo in there.
Sell anime merch too.
Literal one stop shop for nerds.
>>
>>381300128

I'm opening a game store, not a gay strip club.
>>
File: SSX%203.jpg (2MB, 3256x2156px) Image search: [Google]
SSX%203.jpg
2MB, 3256x2156px
>>381300107
But anon
>>
>>381300309
what's the difference?
>>
Hi OP, here's what you can expect
>The majority (60%) of video game sales will be to kids (or moms buying for kids) who want minecraft, call of duty, or sports games
>20% of customers will come in to complain about prices or say they can get the game from another store for cheaper, to which you will have to reply to them and attempt to win them over by offering store credit or shit-talking their store
>10% will be drug addicts who stole games from siblings to sell to you hoping they'll get full value of their items of $100 but will for some reason settle for just $6 (even if you normally give 5x that much) because they're fucking lost in their minds
>6% will be autists, literal retards, or assholes who will use every opportunity in your store to belittle your selection or tell you that you're price gouging a $60 game one month after release by valuing it at $54
>3% will be people looking to get into video games that you get to inform or waste time trying to explain about different systems/games
>1% will be cool people

I hope you're a masochist.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nanhr1fcIU1rgviz0.png (126KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nanhr1fcIU1rgviz0.png
126KB, 500x285px
>>381283105
So lets be real about this

You'll most likely be selling your own collection until you build up enough of a client base to warrent trade ins, meaning you'll need alot of product to put on shelves, and not just your 5 copies of rockband, you need things that will grab attention that people will want to buy, including consoles, controllers, etc

not to mention unless it's in a good area you're bound to not even be seen unless you pay for advertisement, so that's an extra fee

all together you'd be paying for business cost, utilities, whatever shitty employees you hire, advertisement, and odds are you won't be seeing any of that back unless you last more than probably 2 years

So if you want to go ahead, but it's fucking retarded
>>
>>381300334
>snowboarding
>sport

Try again hip n trendy youngster.
>>
>>381300417
>want to work at a preschool because I like kids
>realize I hate teaching people basic shit
>>
File: 1445648810983.jpg (330KB, 1300x2033px) Image search: [Google]
1445648810983.jpg
330KB, 1300x2033px
>>381283105
You'll get destroyed by Amazon and internet shopping as a whole. If gamestops are failing, you will too.
>>
>>381300107
>Sega Saturn section
>99% sports games with maybe a Daytona USA (the shit edition) or Sega Rally thrown in if your lucky
>>
>>381297060
And funko pop figures. Less games, more toys.
>>
File: 14euria_07.gif (39KB, 262x444px) Image search: [Google]
14euria_07.gif
39KB, 262x444px
This bitch walks into your game store and offers to sell you Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt (cart only) for the low, low price of $25. How do you respond?
>>
I know that store Anon, I bought a bunch of Genesis and SNES games from it last week.
>>
Digital sales and gamers are bad customers to deal with.
>>
Your business model won't be sustainable if it's just working on the sale of new games. Profit margins are close to non existent. It's why companies like gamestop push used sales and preorders so hard, it's because that's where they actually make a profit.
>>
>>381286645
oh shit i think I'm near you guys. is it called stop button or something like that?
>>
>>381300757
Humor her to keep my chain going and fill out the Encyclopedia.
>>
Try to avoid having an inventory made up mostly of funcopop
>>
>>381300485
>Shitting on Extreme Sports
Gb2/r9k/
>>
File: 34670559.png (1MB, 1007x1220px) Image search: [Google]
34670559.png
1MB, 1007x1220px
>cousins buys one of those big party buses
>hooks it up with a bunch of tvs and vidya
>basically does a catering of vidya for birthday parties
>makes pretty good money
>>
>opening a barcade and ogling all the nerd girls exposing their feet in sandals

Sounds pretty good to me.
>>
>>381283251
Because I refuse to pay for digital copies since I'm not a cuck.
>>
>>381300757
I would fug her tbqh Mia familia.
>>
>>381301298
Is he near Inglewood?
I've seen one of those things around my area and it seems cool but all the ones I have seen look shitty as they always put old out of place renders of Mario, Master Chief, Pikachu, etc.
>>
>>381301423
might actually be, i know he lives in SoCal.
but i doubt he's the only one that ever came up with that idea
>>
>>381301298
>invite people over to play video games
>go all out buy a couple extra chairs repair all my classic controllers even dig out the old CRT to supplement my 4k and 1080p screens
>devolves into DUDE YOUTUBE LMAO texting and faceberg
>we finna smokeup niggu *drops weed bag*
>haha hell yeah brian
>no games are played
>>
File: IMAG0620.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0620.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>381300875
Pic related. Now the question is which employee you are.
>>
>>381301723

Since when can you legally sell SNES reproductions, have a storefront, & have that shit on your receipts?
>>
File: 14091657194640.png (170KB, 421x315px) Image search: [Google]
14091657194640.png
170KB, 421x315px
>>381301723
> 49.99T
>>
File: Untitled.png (325KB, 2535x1406px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
325KB, 2535x1406px
>>381300471
>You'll most likely be selling your own collection until you build up enough of a client base to warrent trade ins,

This.
Unless you have a stellar collection (see pic), you'll need to either buy new games (huge loan required) and get trade ins to build stock.
You'll operate at a loss for the first 6 months, easily.

Running your own business is like having three full time jobs.
>>
>>381296459
drug front detected
>>
>>381283105
Is it your dream to have a small business and be a bit in debt forever? If you aren't doing TCG tournaments you wont survive.
>>
>>381301958
nah, when you give drug addicts pennies on the dollar for games worth $10-$20, you can make a nice living
>>
>>381300757
i'd give her like $2-4 max. shit is worthless
>>
>>381302068
You'll never raise your merchant level with that attitude.
>>
File: 1.jpg (715KB, 1140x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
715KB, 1140x1600px
>>381283105
open up a small store but also sell cards/comics
when you get enough capital gathered up get a bigger store that has enough space for you to host gaming/card tournaments or even get some arcade machines for some arcade action
>>
>>381302126
>not belittling the seller into them selling to it for you cheap, then turning around on a dime and selling it at an inflated price
>>
>>381283654
>Get a few tables in there for card games and D&D.
Don't do this, you don't want those kinds of people in your store.
>>
>>381300757

Give her a low-ball offer that even offends me, work to under the actual value and then turn around and sell it for around what her original offer was if not double.

But that game is pretty worthless honestly. Good games though.
>>
File: geometry.png (6KB, 356x480px) Image search: [Google]
geometry.png
6KB, 356x480px
>>381302559

>It smells like...somebody wants to sell me something!
>>
>>381302712
>those kinds of people

What do you mean?
>>
>>381302814
Fatasses who don't shower and stink up the joint because they stay in the store all day playing their shitty TCGs and D&D campaigns.
>>
>>381302868
eughh
i have one of those in my city and i avoid it since it started pandering to those types
too bad, it used to carry EVERYTHING vidya
>>
>>381284330
this is literally the opposite of the truth, this shit is dying in japan but starting to flourish in the states. there are actually tons of statistics on this
>>
>>381302868

I worked at a small video game store (no tables or d&d shit) and this was still a bad issue. God help you during the summer. I've smelled terrible things but fat sweaty nerds are something else entirely.

>kid parks bike, comes in with sack of gamecube games
>honest to god smells like he's rode through feces or shit himself
>coworker sees me cover my mouth and immediately helps the kid, turns out most of his games were trashed so he isn't in store long
>meanwhile I'm in the back dry heaving and waving fresh air in via the back door
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eXP2vrTXZ8

As long as I don't end up like this guy.
>>
>>381303328
You sound like a dramatic sperg
>>
File: quenepas.jpg (109KB, 550x407px) Image search: [Google]
quenepas.jpg
109KB, 550x407px
>>381284042
where is it brother
>>
File: 1497738520739.png (664KB, 978x730px) Image search: [Google]
1497738520739.png
664KB, 978x730px
>>381303674

Dude, I interacted with countless people at that job, some that smelled nice and some that smelled terrible but I could grin and bear it. That kid fucking broke me and that's the only time I've almost thrown up due to a foul smell.
>>
>>381303328
I'm not saying it isn't going to be a problem no matter what, but you're better off not inviting them in with tables for TCGs and D&D. Do what you can to keep them out.
>>
>opening a physical store
>[current year]

Stop. If you open in anywhere other than downtown in a major city you wont get enough traffic, but if you do open downtown you wont be able to afford the rent. Unless you can take over the lease of some store that has been there for decades you are screwed.
>>
>>381284605
>pawn shop

Sure, if you want a clientele consisting exclusively of white trash and redguards.
>>
>>381302868
>He still thinks D&D is a basement dweller thing in 2017
You are in for a shock when going ouy into the real world. Although it still has its groups, its gained so much attention that even semi-normie people are dabbling in it. Fucking hell, past week went to a Critical role panel at a convention and place was packed woth all kinds of people, including a dude bro type of person. Granted, matt mercer was there as well.
>>
>>381302712
>>381283654
This is what my local small game store does to stay alive. They also have a room with ten computers running counterstrike and some other steam games
>>
>>381287568
>Invest in real estate

Yeah, invest at the height of a bubble, great idea retard.

>there is a finite amount of land

Unless you live in a 3rd world country the price of land is depreciating due to the decline in population. Stay in school underage.
>>
>>381283105
It is incredibly dumb idea to enter crashing market. I mean physical is going to die out. Open a VR demo booth or something.
>>
>>381288615
>reddit spacing

Fuck off faggot, also Dodo is one word retard.
>>
>>381305925
>reddit spacing
just look at your self idiot
>>
>>381283105
Wait 5 years and just buy out Gamestop
>>
>>381283105
If you like autistic trannies putting their snotty hands over everything, destroying displays, and then pepper spraying you in the face, then go right ahead
>>
>>381283105

I don't think the profit margins for videogames are very high for retailers if Gamestop's business practices are any indication. Five dollars to pre-order a game is probably the cut gamestop makes from a transaction but they're getting it up front. Gamestop employees have quotas for selling memberships. A lot of Gamestops have started freeing up space for tshirts and vidya merchandise like funco-pops and statues. They buy games for peanuts and sell them for nearly full price because none of that money goes to the publisher anymore. They hide the fact that games are used and refurbished by removing all games from their cases. Gamestop is one of the giants so if they have to stoop to this shit then a brick and mortar vidya store is gonna struggle.
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.