[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it really that bad? The other God of War games are just watered-down

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: God_of_War_Ascension.jpg (71KB, 250x289px) Image search: [Google]
God_of_War_Ascension.jpg
71KB, 250x289px
Is it really that bad?
The other God of War games are just watered-down Devil May Crys, but they were still enjoyable.
>>
I think it is because they self censored when there was an uproar by some SJW's about a specific trophy name. Besides that it is pretty much standard GOW OP.
>>
It's more that the series ran out of ideas after 3. 1 had you becoming the god of war, 2 was about revenge on Zeus for stealing your powers, and 3 was about killing the entire Greek pantheon. Ascension just felt incredibly contrived from a narrative perspective, but otherwise it's just more God of War.
>>
The scale feels more underwhelming than 3 for obvious reasons. Each game kept building up and up and from 3 onward they had nowhere to go but down. It still had some cool concepts, such as the Furies as villain; they're not that well known in pop culture and they had pretty cool designs. All in all, I had fun playing it.
>>
>>381269818
I love GOW2&3. Couldn't bring myself to finish this one. I don't know what it was, it was just meh.
>>
The level design was top tier.

The story was a hot pile of retconned feces.

>Takes place immediately before God of War 1
> You are imprisoned by the Furies for breaking your oath to Ares.
>The furies are the very first beings in existence, older and more powerful than the titans or the gods. They are the ones who tricked Ares into declaring war on Olympus.
>Somehow you manage to kill them all, even though you are not even a god yet.
>>
>>381269818
>The other God of War games are just watered-down Devil May Crys, but they were still enjoyable.

Actually God of War was more of an expanded DMC. You see, God of War is a full game. It features actual level design, puzzles, secret areas, platforming, a story as well as combat mechanics. Playing it felt like an adventure.

DMC on the other hand has none of this. It's like opening the editor up in an RTS game and satisfying your battle autism by doing your own thing. DMC is a combo simulator. It just puts you in a room full of enemies and allows you to work on your combos. There is no level design, no exploration, no structure or anything. DMC is barely a game. It's a simulator, for entering button comboes and seeing some cuhrazy animations on screen to tell you, yes, you entered that combo in correctly aren't you good.
>>
>>381272079
(You)
>>
Dante's Inferno > God of War
>>
>>381272079
You're not entirely wrong anon, I understand what you're getting at. I just want to make sure you understand that there is a divide between DMC1 and DMC3 onwards. Most of what you said regarding that series does not apply to the first game. I personally hate that the first game is even lumped with them desu. CUHRAYZEEfags are cancer.
>>
>>381271749
I think they were born from the Titans, but they were indeed powerful enough to scare the gods.
>>
>>381274758
Yep, just checked it. They were born from the blood that came out when Cronus cut off Uranus's nutsack.
>>
>God of War
>Devil May Cry
The only game I've ever played of this kind (?) is Metal Gear Rising, what would you guys recommend?
>>
>>381269818

People were tired of Kratos by the time it was released and it was ANOTHER prequel that was filler as fuck, but it was extremely fun gameplay-wise. Combat was the hardest in this game, it actually rewarded you with new moves on the fly if you kept your combo going and punished you by limiting your moveset if you dropped combos. It de-casualized blocking as well and had some amazing setpiece, including the best final boss fight in the series, against the Furies.

Shame they nerfed the Trial of Archimedes, which was a part later in the game which was ABSOLUTELY hard. People just couldn't beat it the way it was on Day 1, so they patched it to have more checkpoints and give more health to players between each fight.

>>381269962

They had a trophy named Bros before Hos which got people in the press like Adam Sessler mad, so they changed it to Bros before Foes. It popped after smashing the face of one of the female Furies when she's trying to trick you, which is sad. Fortunately, nothing in-game was censored.
>>
>>381274931
God of War is a bit different than the rest in the genre as it isn't as skill based and is more about tons of slaughter. It's still a great series in its own right with some insane setpieces and tons of over the top bosses, recommended. Other than that, play Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma, and Devil May Cry.
>>
I love GoW, Ancension isn't bad, but, it sorta just feels like a DLC for 3 than more like a whole new game.
>>
>>381274654

This.
>>
>>381274931
God Hand
DMC1 , 3/4
Rising Zan
Shinobi
Bayo
Anarchy Reigns
>>
>>381269818
I beat it a while back and can't remember the story or what the bosses look like. So forgettable.
>>
What's the best order in which to play GoW?
I want to replay them and would like some organization.
>>
>>381269818
I don't know yet I'm still waiting for Ryan Davis to finish his review.
>>
>>381276684
1, 2, 3, Ascension
>>
>>381269818
It wasn't bad, but it certainly illustrated that the GOW formula had gotten stale, which is why the new GOW is definitely a step in the right direction.
>>
>>381269818
The main purpose of Ascension was to push the GoW multiplayer. It dies like 3 months after release. Shame though, it was good idea. The campaign itself was probably so they could charge 60(90AUD for us) for the game. Level design was great though. That Apollo statue level was a highlight for me.
>>
Are the Origins Collection/PSP games any good?
>>
>>381277887
I dont know. Do you mind playing a PSP game on a massive TV?
>>
>>381276684
Release order, always. Doesn't metter the series.
>>
>>381269818
>The other God of War games are just watered-down Devil May Crys
Don't get where this meme comes from. DMC games really only offer combat, where as GoW actually has some exploration, puzzle-solving and platforming. They are much more well-rounded action adventure games.
>>
>>381277141
>"TLOU with an axe" is a step in the right direction for God Of War
Fuck off retard
>>
>>381277241

Believe it or not the multiplayer is still active
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.