[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the term "game dev" mean to you? Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7KB, 112x112px
What does the term "game dev" mean to you?
Do you only consider the coders to be "game devs", or would you also call the artists and composers "game devs"?

If you don't call the artists or composers "devs", what DO you call them?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13241380
>>
They're all developers.
>>
retards who wasted their time and effort on childrens toys when they could have got a job working on real software working half as much and making twice the money
>>
>>381242747
>They're all developers.
So would you call Koji Kondo a game dev?
>>
>>381243105
Yep, he doesn't just compose tunes all day and mail them in. He works with the team, witnesses the action and aesthetic of a game before composing something that complements it.
>>
File: 1280w.jpg (154KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280w.jpg
154KB, 1280x960px
>>381242905
Why are you even on /v/?
>>
>>381242631
I call devs the people involved both design and code-wise with game systems, platform, etc. Everyone else are artists.

Hans Zimmer is not a moviemaker, he's a movie composer. Same applies here.
>>
>>381242905
So, what's your job?
I hope you love it and pays a shitload because how dare people work at something they like even if it pays less.
>>
>>381242631
Development isn't synonymous with programming, but after thinking about it I can see your point.

You wouldn't call the graphics designer who made a good GUI for their nerd friend's program a "software developer". Why would you call anyone who does anything unrelated to the gameplay mechanics a game dev?
>>
>>381245036
pretty much this, the GUI is still important, but I wouldn't call him a software developer even if his contribution is important. He might have still helped, but he's a graphic designer not a dev
>>
>>381244460
helping u

>>381244614
software engineer. i can guarantee core programmers at big studios are much smarter than i AND work twice as many work hours, but that we also make the same amount of money

time is the most valuable resource in the world
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.