[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy heck man, what a blast of a game, I can't believe I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: Welcome to hell.png (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome to hell.png
56KB, 640x480px
Holy heck man, what a blast of a game, I can't believe I put off playing it for years

Should I play Kero Blaster next? Is it better or worse than Cave Story?
>>
>>381241826
I actually think Rain World is a really good contender for this genre. Maybe check it out.
>>
>>381241982
Looks pretty interesting, thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>381241826
Kero Blaster is good too, but not as good as Cave Story. Nothing really tops Cave Story.
>>
Kero Blaster is Cave Story without the backtracking or the comfy towns, but as a plus it has some really neat set-pieces like the snow storm and the rail cart. Be sure to play Zangyou mode once you beat normal mode, it was added after launch and it has a completely different levels and bosses.

From there, I dunno. If you want more straight-up jump and shootan go for Mega Man. If you want exploring and platforming go for Super Metroid. If you want laid-back exploring and platforming as a character who can only dodge her enemies, play Knytt, Knytt Stories, Skelemania, Cat Planet. If you want to be hard-core and prefer a more arcadey short-session format, play the original Spelunky. If you want more set-pieces and linearity and don't care for platforming as much try Another World and Heart of Darkness. If you want more Pixel play the game that came before Cave Story called Ika-Chan. If you like that try Fish Face.

This is my favorite review and it is about Cave Story, I recommend reading it if you find the time. http://web.archive.org/web/20160324040900/http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=416
>>
Just bought Cave Story+ for the Switch after years of hearing about this game and never playing it. Gonna try it tonight. I'm a fucking sucker for games that come with physical goodies. This one came with a full manual and a mini-CD soundtrack. What difficulty should I pick?
>>
File: 1490962823068.png (91KB, 642x1083px) Image search: [Google]
1490962823068.png
91KB, 642x1083px
>>381241982
Every time I want to mention that game in a thread feels like shilling it, but it's honestly a great game.
>>
>>381243487
Normal. Make sure you get those panties
>>
>tfw I'm a fucking fag, buying every single Cave Story release.
>Still in my top 10 since 2010 when I first played the freeware version.
>Know the game by heart. Can 100% the game start to finish in a day.

It'll stop being fun eventually, right?
>>
File: 1457531168518.gif (2MB, 293x199px) Image search: [Google]
1457531168518.gif
2MB, 293x199px
>>381244096
>want to support pixel for his great game
>don't want to support nicalis who keep fucking things up for every developer they work with
>>
>>381243487
First off, the difficulty setting is a beginners' trap: Easy is too easy, Hard is bullshit unfun. They were added in ports and are not present in the original game at all. Hard mode is just a self-imposed challenge of not getting any health upgrades but forced. I can't imagine how many players selected that and they got a gimped experience.
Secondly, all the Nicalis ports, which is what Cave Story Plus is, runs at "TURBO MODE!" The original game was hard-coded at 50fps. They sped it up to 60fps. Everything runs faster. It's not quite buggy but it changes the design and pacing of everything and it's a fiendish move. It really changes the game for the worse and I would not recommend playing that version. Now as a disclaimer I do not know if this version will continue the repeat mistake of not include a speed toggle to revert the game to its author-intended speed, but since the Wii, DSi, 3DS, and Steam versions all lack a framerate toggle, I guarantee this one will have the same problem. So I would do research before commiting to a purchase.

The best way to play Cave Story is the original freeware version.
http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php
This only goes as high as 480p windowed so if you'd like fullscreen you should play the open source NXEngine version. Compatible with Retroarch. It defaults to 60fps (sped up) but you can pause and switch to 50fps at any time.
>>
>>381243641
The internet told me it was a "survival platformer" when I looked it up during the Adult Swim bundle. I steered clear because of the survival game meme

Are you telling me it's a Cave Story-esque game? Am I retarded not classifying CS as a "survival" game?
>>
>>381241982
I vouch for this as well. Still wainting for "ez" mode tho for maximum comfy.
>>
>>381244397
Thanks anon, I had a feeling that CS+ felt a bit off but I thought it was just nostalgia.
>>
>>381241826
It's a top 15 game of all-time easily. A classic.
>>
>>381244397
>This only goes as high as 480p windowed so if you'd like fullscreen you should play the open source NXEngine version
Huh? It works full screen on all of my computers.
>>
>>381244381
Did they do that with Issac as well? I haven't really heard anything.
>>
>>381241826
>game is pretty good
>shits the bed on the secret final level

Why?
>>
>>381244505
It's more 'dark souls'-ey than Cave Story, but it still has dat uninteligable lore mane.

Definitely different, but I think Cave Story fans would enjoy it. It's balls to the wall hard though.
>>
>>381245868
You're right, it actually does have a full-screen option. However it is stretched from 4:3 to 16:9, ruining the picture. It also looks blurry from the 480p being upscaled to fit the monitor. NXEngine w/Retroarch allows for a lot more choice.

>>381244381
Just buy your friends copies of Kero Blaster. Shit criminally undersold.

>>381246467
It's a secret. You're only meant to stumble upon it on a repeat playthrough. Don't be a goofball who follows a guide on their very first run of the game.
>>
>>381246467
That was the best, though. Decently challenging and great music.
>>
So, which Keychain did you get, /v/?
>>
File: 13981716468501.png (301KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
13981716468501.png
301KB, 1920x1080px
>>381241826
The music + the story that starts telling the narrator when you reach that level was one of my top 10 moments in videogames easily, then you get a very challenging but fair level to traverse, and man what a ride was getting to Ballos even if he killed me a lot of times.

Man, fucking japs they really know how to make god level designs.
>>
>>381246645
I heard Rain World had broken controls, rendering the game virtually unplayable due to its otherwise high difficulty. Is that not true, or was it fixed?
>>
>>381244397
Wait, what? I've played the original NXEngine version and the ports multiple times, I've never noticed the speed being different...
>>
>>381248883
Remember NXEngine defaults to 60fps. You have to pause and set it to 50. It's very obvious to compare the speed if you simply jump in place.
>>
>>381248571
the controls might feel jank as fuck at first, but I played in on pc with an xbox controller and it's actually just very precise and difficult to get the hang of. Not poor design; done intentionally.
>>
>>381249735
It has a pretty low metacritic score, mostly complaining about torturous difficulty and bullshit controls.
Maybe those reviews were just written by fucking casuals.
>>
It is really sad but Kero Blaster just isn't good. I WISH IT WAS but I don't like it. Maybe it's because I don't like that frog. There is nothing to like about that frog. It looks stupid, isn't cute and doesn't have a fun story.
The free games:
>Blue Hour
>Pink Heaven
are amazing though! They are free, play in the same universe and have the same engine as Kero Blaster. Basically they are just ads for Kero Blaster but the character is amazingly cute and so is the story and I wish it had a full feature game like Kero Blaster. I've got Kero Blaster and never played it much / gave up quickly while I still reply the other two.
>>
>>381250057
basically. The first 10 hours i spent playing the game I thought it was pretty boring and didn't really want to play it again. Felt like maybe i'd made a mistake.

Once I started getting further out and realising all the nuances and interactions the game has, I really started to enjoy it way more. About 20 hours in I finally started figuring out there was story and so much non-verbal communication that makes it incredibly fascinating.
>>
>>381251018
That sounds pretty good. So how exactly is the story told that made you think it wasn't even there to begin with, or was it just absent in the beginning?
Would you say that going in knowing to look for hidden story elements would make for a better first experience?
>>
>>381243050

Man, Actionbutton.net had some great reviews. Loved the earthbound one.

Too bad he's patient zero for what games journo's turned into
>>
>>381241826
I love Kero Blaster and think it's better then Cave Story, but it could've been way better if it wasn't initially developed as a mobile game
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.