[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How close are we to putting human consciousnesses in robot bodies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

How close are we to putting human consciousnesses in robot bodies?

I want giant indestructible titanium body nao.
I'll settle for augs.
>>
I want cute waifus.
>>
>>381199114
Science doesn't even know what conscience fucking is so never.
>>
>>381199114
>How close are we to putting human consciousnesses in robot bodies?
Far. Functional prosthetic bodies of reasonable functionality (that actually does not mean better than their biological counterparts, just reasonable approximation) and reasonable availability (that is accessible at least to say, 5% of the population) might be possible in about 50 years or so, provided that the technological progress does not get severely hampered somewhere along the way (which it probably will, because the west is gonna face a major societal meltdown somewhere in that town and it might actually entirely change the course of our technological and social direction).

As for transfering consciousness instead of simply replacing larger parts of your body: that is impossible to say, because we still had not even STARTED understanding what consciousness is. We can't even begin estimating how long would it take to figure it out, and how far it would be from there to discover a possibility of consciousness transfer. Or if it is even a possibility - which it simply might not be.

So: at absolute best, your children and grandchildren might be the first ones who will enjoy the benefits of largely prosthetic bodies (well, I say "your" but of course they won't be actually yours, they will be children of your more competent peers). But don't worry, it's more likely than not that these prosthetics will prove to do more bad than good.
>>
File: 35825692569.png (175KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
35825692569.png
175KB, 900x900px
>>381199114
It will never be possible because human consciousness is inseparably tied to our biological matter. Digital data can be copied infinitely, so what's to stop someone from making a bunch of copies of you? DeNuvo?

Also, here's a thought experiment: someone copies a map of your brain, digitally, and this is legally considered your consciousness. They print all the data out on paper and delete the digital version. Is the paper now a person? If someone burns the paper, is it murder or destruction of property?
>>
>>381202875
well no, since that's like saying is a paper blueprint of a computer a computer? Obviously not, it needs electricity and some means of gaining sensory information whilst being capable of expression. It's like DNA, it isn't the property of a person and is irrelevant until it is expressed by an organism.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.