[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always thought it was better in the first MGS that everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 4441585-2363132634-34285.jpg (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4441585-2363132634-34285.jpg
143KB, 800x1000px
I always thought it was better in the first MGS that everyone talked about Big Boss like a boogie man. Even tough bastards like Solid and Campbell had a hint of fear about him.

Those who worked with him absolutely loved him which made him all the better of a villian. Someone you're supposed to hate but can't because he has humanity at the same time.

So why did Kojima make him a protagonist? Was it to give backstory to the retarded Zero and Patriots story? Or did he just not like Solid as a character and wanted to work with Big Boss?
>>
>>381180213
>Kojima: You have to keep in mind that Solid Snake is not a real human. [As in, within the story universe, Solid Snake is a genetically modified clone.] On the other hand, Big Boss is a real human being with true emotions. He can be more expressive than Solid Snake. So yes, as a result I find him more compelling to write.
>>
>>381180509
Interesting because the way Kojima writes his stories, you'd think he would nut at the possibility of having a story where Solid tries to cope with the fact that hes not natural
>>
>>381180856
>what is mgs4
>>
>>381181287
MGS4 was garbage
>>
>>381181287
Shit
>>
>>381181450
whether it was garbage or not, doesn't change the fact that it was written dealing with exactly what >>381180509 describes he thought kojima would've done.
>>
>>381181582
>>381181450
You're mixing MGS4 up with your own opinions, hth.
>>
>>381181665
It was never about him being unnatural. He bitched more about being old and not fucking Meryl more than anything
>>
>>381181691
It was possibly the worst in the series. There was more cinematics than gameplay. Story bogged down into retarded mishmash of love story and giant nuclear shooting mechs with robot ninja abandoning his son. For fucks sake, they made a dude who shits his pants as an easter egg a main character.
>>
>>381181884
>>381181884
>it was never about him being unnatural
>about being old
you dumb idiot, why was he old? it was about his body falling apart because of advanced aging due to being a clone, and whenever people bring it up his psyche bar goes down. kojima says the theme of the game is "SENSE," which partially means how snake feels about his situation. the game has a lot thrown into it, so you may have overlooked it. you may have also overlooked it because kojima wrote snake not feeling the same about his situation as you think you would feel if you were in his position.
>>
>>381182694
Huurrr nice reading comprehension skills there, fuckface. Didn't say he wasn't unnatural. Said Snake didn't give a fuck and bitched that he was old. He never once had any deep reflection of who or what he was.
>>
>>381182906
>chastises others for their reading comprehension when you yourself fail to have any
i never said that you claimed he wasn't unnatural. i said that him being old and him bitching about it IS him reflecting on being a clone, and that it's easy to miss due to the clusterfuck that is that game OR due to how you think he would react due to his state.
>>
>>381180509
> , Big Boss is a real human being with true emotions. He can be more expressive than Solid Snake

it's funny, because Big Boss in MG2 was way more autistic than Solid has ever been
>>
>>381180213
>legendary soldier who commanded thousands of men who are cult level loyal to him
>barely see him leading or interacting with soldiers
Would have liked more of Snake helping out rookies like Ocelot in MGS3 or the opening of PW on the beach.
>>
>>381180213
Kojima's not a great writer by any means but writing the legend is a lot more appealing than the legend's namesake. Players would have to wonder just what made Big Boss such a fucking badass. Why did he wear an eyepatch? Why did he become a villain? You gotta keep in mind that by MGS3 Solid Snake had 4 mainline games and three or so ports/spinoffs. MGS2 had attempted to replace Snake as the protagonist and was heavily criticized enough for it that it became a problem to Konami. Being able to go and work with a character that easily had his own 4 (?) games was a simple choice.

Truthfully, though, Big Boss' best appearance was 3 and will never improve beyond that. Seeing what happens to The Boss is enough to define his motives for the future and only fails to properly explain his actions because of how fucking silly MGS became on 4's release.
>>
File: 531883.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
531883.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>381180213
> "Those who worked with him absolutely loved him which made him all the better of a villian. Someone you're supposed to hate but can't because he has humanity at the same time."

Big Boss in MG2 wasn't really all that compelling

before MGS3, I shared Snake's sentiment about him, whenever Liquid or Solidus wanked him
"can you just stop fellating him!?"
>>
>>381184419
I see what you're saying. Although I think that having that mystery surrounding him makes him seem even better as a villian. Never really know what to make of him. He tried to kill Solid on a few occasions, despised him because of what he was, but yet changed the lives of alot of people for the better.

Having not played or seen his history would play with your head as you didn't know what yo make of him
>>
>>381185015
Mystery is great, i'll definitely agree to that. However, if all you knew of Big Boss from 3 was the final scene with the boss do you think that would help to keep you feeling that you don't know enough about him?
>>
>>381180509
Solid was an all around upstanding asshole who did the right things and didn't let the reefs of life wear him down. Big Boss was Chrischan if CWC was military trained and had perfect martial arts capability.
>>
>>381185730
Right. Especially because game ended on bad note for him. He was pissed and emotionally destroyed by not only killing the only person he truly cared about but also because their own country forced it on her to basically kill herself.
>>
File: 2590b.jpg (81KB, 425x477px) Image search: [Google]
2590b.jpg
81KB, 425x477px
>>381180509
MGS1 solid alone shows more emotions and is better written than BigBoss was in any of his appearances. I truly believe Kojima is a hack when it comes to writing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUeR1v5uZ4
>>
File: 15129-21917.jpg (53KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
15129-21917.jpg
53KB, 320x240px
>>381186043
only Solid's character was really all that well written in that game
>>
>>381184375
>barely see him leading or interacting with soldiers

just listen to the tapes in PW
>>
>>381180213
I pretty much agree with you.
>>
>>381186457
Show don't tell, though. It should have been present in the game instead of as more tape exposition
>>
File: georgesears.jpg (303KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
georgesears.jpg
303KB, 500x750px
>>381180509
"he's just a clone, so not really real"

utter fucking bullshit

Solidus was just another clone, yet he was the most human one of the bunch
>>
>>381188585
he was a perfect clone
>>
>>381186043
He really is, MGS1 is horribly written it just came out at a time where mainstream console games didn't really have stories. The rest are given a free pass because "MGS1 is goofy and inconsistent too", but the truth is Kojima is just a really bad writer with some fun ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the series, but people who make out Kojima to be some kind of forward thinking genius instead of an eccentric idiot are completely off base.
>>
>>381188510
no
the tapes don't yell "WOOOOOOO SNAKE CARES ABOUT HIS SOLDIERS AND THEY WORSHIP HIM"

it makes some offhand remarks how Snake gives them free days, brings beer etc

it's not hard to see why people would flock around a living legend like him.
>>
>>381188772

still an "artificial human", so Kojimbo's rule should still apply
>>
>>381189270
>Solid Snake is a genetically modified clone
>modified clone
womp
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.