[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have video games simply lost the feel of adventure and wonder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: 1482115162317.jpg (136KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
1482115162317.jpg
136KB, 736x981px
Have video games simply lost the feel of adventure and wonder they used to embrace, or have I just gotten older? Has the industry changed that much or am I just jaded?
>>
You're just jaded.
>>
Both. It's no lie that modern rpgs railroad the players "choices" or simply remove most of the sense of agency.
>>
A bit of both, but a lot more of the latter than the former.
>>
>>381125649
A handful of games each year still manage to be legitimately interesting, the rest (and highest-selling) being watered-down mass-appeal shooters and sandboxes is what's probably ruining it for you.
>>
>>381125649
The industry has gotten itself into this comfy zone style of games because they know it's quick money. Actual innovation is not sought after. I miss when there use to be devs that wanted to push the medium to new levels so that sense of adventure and entertainment was enjoyable. Now everything is gimmicks or copycats.
>>
>>381125649
Dark souls brought this feel back for me, before it i actually felt like i will have no intrest in video games ever again.
>>
>>381125649
it mostly has to do with you becoming older and more experienced but video games are not doing well in the last couple years
>>
>>381125649
You should give Breath of the Wild a spin.
>>
>>381126129
this.
please close the thr
>>
>>381125649
You got old. If you want a sense of wonder and adventure go fuck a broad and do drugs.
>>
File: 1266809901844.jpg (4KB, 126x112px) Image search: [Google]
1266809901844.jpg
4KB, 126x112px
>Used to play games several times over, hearing what each NPC had to say when I did something different and read every word about the bredth of lore
>Nowadays I shit all over cutscenes and infodumps. I absolutely lose interest in a game if I have to sit there and listen to an NPC talk for more than a minute

Did I become casual, or did my tastes refine? I can't tell.
>>
>>381126926
Same anon. I know people rip on summoning but nothing is funner than exploring a new area with your buds.
>>
>>381127609
You got older.
I am the same, I usually machinegun through dialogue too, I even got to the point where I can't stand going into dungeons because I know there's going to be nothing of interest and they're just fancy ways of putting good loot and plot points in contest, but there's a whole load of nothing and boredom between me and said loot or uninteresting plotpoints that I just want to fast forward until I get to the point.
I recently went back to SMT:SJ because of the redux remake and I fucking hated the dungeon crawling part, it felt like a huge waste of time.
>>
>>381125649
Let the AAA industry die and embrace retro games.
>B-but muh QoL vs. dated systems
Work for your entertainment
>B-but my bajillion adult responsabilities, I can't sit down and play tons of hours
Then you have grown up, time to leave vidya
>>
File: 1484287993410.jpg (529KB, 2000x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1484287993410.jpg
529KB, 2000x1440px
>>381125649
Get it on the Switch.
Get it for the Wii U.
Run it on PC if your computer can handle it.

But you should try the new Zelda.
>>
>>381127609>>381126194
these

nowadays i just play EU4 or football manager

looking forward to pillars 2, divinity 2 and Monster hunter world

only games i'm remotely interested in
>>
>>381129006
> Run it on PC if your computer can handle it.

how would one do this and how strong my PC should be to handle it?

i dislike nintendo to say the list but BOTW gets shilled so hard here might as well test it to get what the fuss is about
>>
>>381129209
to say the least*
>>
>>381128752
>>B-but my bajillion adult responsabilities
>sustaining yourself is a responsability most people can't cope with anymore
what happend?
>>
>>381129209
CEMU is the emulator. But it has got DRM and crap and is behind a paywall.
The emulator itself is improving well, but the developers are greedy fuckers in comparisons to previous goodwill emulation projects. But I guess it works.

But to answer your question, I don't really know. Because there have been plenty of updates since I last looked into it. But it should work.
>>
>>381129450
Cost of living keeps going up. Wages remain the same.
>>
File: tfw (2).png (113KB, 374x213px) Image search: [Google]
tfw (2).png
113KB, 374x213px
>>381129006
>tfw I'll never play BotW for the firs time ever again
>>
>>381129485
ok i understand how to get the emulator but where would i go get the game itself?
>>
Both.
>>
>>381130462
I guess it's online on usual places hosting game isos. I don't know. My friends had an actual Wii U disc and emulated that.
>>
>>381129450
People here have complained about paying bills, peer pressure, socializing, being family man with kids, etc as shortening/cutting their chances for vidya time. This in turn devolves into only playing short, casual or cinematic games because "I'm an adult with responsabilities" but then complaining about all games feeling samey bland
>>
File: 1495381203445.jpg (10KB, 198x199px) Image search: [Google]
1495381203445.jpg
10KB, 198x199px
>>381130462

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-usb-helper-a-small-eshop-for-windows.446565/

Lets you download Wii U games, including updates and DLC, on your computer, directly from Nintendo's servers
>>
>>381125649
I still get that sense of adventure every now and then, with Monolith Soft's recent work being a decent example. On a whole though, it has become harder to tap into that childlike captivation. Experience with the medium has left me cynical, but there are also a lot of games that are simply lacking the creativity, effective design, and careful thought that go into creating interesting worlds that are fun to explore.
>>
File: 1448201628340.png (85KB, 1140x842px) Image search: [Google]
1448201628340.png
85KB, 1140x842px
>>381125649
Games got bad i guess
I'm about to get lots of shit, but for me The Witcher 3 is really close to what i felt when i played trough Gothic I & II
I just wander around the paths with the minimap off, enjoy the sunset and climb every hill i see or enter every forest. The fact that there is a shitload of little villages makes the world feel huge. Also, plot & characters are well written
It's not quite the same as old RPG's since it's very railroaded, but the game i played before was DA:I and everything felt like a brainded chore, and the storytelling was even more retarded
>>
What's a quintessential action fantasy game with magic forests, fairies, trolls and shit? Something available on PS4
>>
>>381125649
The last game I played that REALLY made me feel that wonder was Xenoblade fucking Chronicles (and X as well)
The world is fucking fantastic, the story - while a bit generic - is one of my favorites in vidya. The voice acting is top notch, the characters are all wonderful and all build off of one another really well.
And then the gameplay. It's amazing. You explore 2 giant titans where your world was made. Every area looks amazing, even with the shitty textures on the Wii (that can be fixed with 4k textures in dolphin). The combat is quite fun as well. It's like a singleplayer mmo. It's super customizable and great.
Xenoblade is a game literally everyone who likes atmosphere and world building should play.
>>
>>381125649
Japan still makes video games, I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>381133551
You're full of shit nigga
Nippon games are just like their cartoons:
1)The medium reached it's full potential
2)The market is switching towards the niche that makes the most shekels

That means MOST japanese products are a iteration of a concept that got beaten thousands of times. This is why all anime is about moe kawaii waifus/young boys fighting for friendship
And games are mostly about kids fighting evil monsters with their friends and kawaii moe waifus.
You have to be braindead to enjoy it after the 5th time. Of course there are exceptions, but you're implying that everything SuzukiTakeshi-kun shits on your plate is gold
>>
It's just you. Try Dragon's Dogma, though, it got to me at least.
>>
>>381129485
It's not behind a paywall in the sense that you have to pay to use it, that's a meme. Newest release version is behind 5$ paywall for a week after release but it's free after that.
>>
File: 1496012209586.jpg (67KB, 750x647px) Image search: [Google]
1496012209586.jpg
67KB, 750x647px
>>381125649
I thought so, until I played BotW. But /v/ will be mad at me for saying that.
>>
>>381135157
I know that. But I still really don't like it.
Emulators shouldn't have fucking DRM.
I don't even mind wanting to make money off of it, but the way they're doing it is pretty disgusting and sets a terrible precedent.
>>
>>381129006
This. Just DO NOT look anything up about the game. If you know where to go for anything it ruins the entire point. Stumbling on everything as you wanted makes the experience very sweet and its done in a way that goes way beyond most sandbox games.
>>
Nothing will ever come close to the sense of "holy shit that was some adventure" as playing all of the Baldurs Gate games from beginning to end. There's nothing quite like going from getting killed in one hit by a wolf to being acknowledged as the greatest hero that ever lived in the entire realm by literally every NPC in Throne of Bhaal. Even a complete Sue like Elminster is afraid to piss you off.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.