[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about these numbers, /v/? I think it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: DCroy4uV0AIS1hK.jpg (47KB, 581x678px) Image search: [Google]
DCroy4uV0AIS1hK.jpg
47KB, 581x678px
What do you think about these numbers, /v/?

I think it's the 1st time in a couple of years that EVO has seen decrease in numbers to the year prior.
>>
everyone is waiting for marvel
>>
>>381101025
>melee is about to surpass smash 4.

How can brawl 2 fags even compete?
>>
Why the fuck is there such a steep decline ?

I can understand SFV dropping this hard but there's no reason why smash dropped hard too
>>
>>381102173
sm4sh is starting to get boring
melee at majors has just become armada vs hungrybox and hungrybox wins
>>
>>381102173
We're entering another dark age.
>>
>>381102606
Good. Less money > funner tourneys. I don't want EVO to become more ESPORTS than it already is.

Seriously though, i think people just can't handle the fact that Street Fighter game can be a total borefest, and there isn't really anything that can replace it as a main fighting game.
>>
>>381102173
Honestly, fighting games are really bad this era. We have a lot to choose from but they're all shitty in their own way.
>>
>>381104183
What's shitty about rev2 and T7?
>>
>>381101025
Dragon Ball FighterZ will save us
>>
>>381104435
Guilty Gear and Tekken are the least shitty games in that list, but they have their problems. As usual, there's always that problem where people are not motivated to get into the game and compete against players (japan) that has had the game months before them. I'm not too experienced when it comes to Tekken, but Guilty Gear's balance is way too dumb. If you don't play a character that makes your opponent guess 10 times on wake up or deals stupid amount of damage from random hit, then you might as well not play the game.
>>
>>381101025
These the final numbers? I know a lot of people register late even though they get penalized for doing so. The Street Fighter drop was expected, but everything is hurting.
>>
>>381101025
>sf5 screws the pooch
>it's the poster child for fighters

not rocket science
>>
>>381103810
whats wrong with esports
>>
>>381104435
Nothing. They're just hard as shit to play.
>>
>>381104435
People only like Tekken 7 because it's not TTT2, that's all.
>>
Last year there were 3000 people signed up for SFV before the game was even out. Everyone thought they would have a chance to make a comeback like Gootecks who only specialized in drowning in pools.
>>
>>381106601
It is also the most varied game of the main series that succesfully introduces new mechanics and does a lot of things right.
>>381105090
>If you don't play a character that makes your opponent guess 10 times on wake up or deals stupid amount of damage from random hit, then you might as well not play the game.
Good thing that all of them do to some extent. Some people hate it a lot, but wakeup game is deep as fuck in GG and it's one of the best parts of it. And not all vortex characters are top tier anyways.
>>
EVO 2017 hasn't happened yet. Wouldn't it have been better to wait to get the final numbers? Unless the 2016 numbers are pre-reg this isn't even.
>>
>>381106191
Not that guy but fuck these extended breaks between 1 game where commentators just go over replays of literally the last match. They treat it like Dota or actual sports, where there's like 45 minutes+ of information to ingest. Seriously fuck esports if THAT'S what it means for the game.
>>
>>381107219
You know they only do that when they're stalling for time because the players aren't actually playing, right?
>>
>>381107457
There's plenty of times they just cut to the commentator's booth or the crowd before and after esports so excuse if I don't believe that crap.
>>
>>381106191
ESPORTS is the reason SFV is shit and "thuggery" is "banned". Commentators need to stay within the lines and can't talk shit. Smaller tourneys where players clearly enjoy themselves are always more fun. EVO is not exactly on the level or League of Dota's tourneys, but they're sure as hell trying.
>>
>>381107765
Yeah, there's plenty of times where they cut to commentators because there's plenty of times where the players are doing things that aren't playing the game. I don't see where there is space to complain about this unless you want to see people sitting on the rematch or character select screen while they meditate or talk to coaches or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>381108167
Believe what you wanna believe senpai.
>>
>>381108428
I sincerely don't understand your skepticism, anon.
>>
>>381108052
>FGC thuggery
>you mean flabby nignogs acting hard af and being fluent in ebonics despite doing nothing but playing vidya games

"yo ULLLLLLLLLLL, dat shit waz OD, ey my nigga, we gonna run it back and see if we can get my homie anotha chance at the rebound"

stfu

source: actual beaner with legit piece-of-shit cholo relatives who actually commit crimes and don't actually play vidya all fuckin day
>>
>>381102173
> OP is a faggot and doesn't even provide source
> EVO 2017 is still a month away. Lots of people will register within this last month.

Street Fighter V is shit, though. And getting rid of SF4 from major tournament play and EVO was a fag jew move by Crapcom and enabled by that faggot mr wizard
>>
File: Killer_Instinct_Season_1_Mural.jpg (724KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Killer_Instinct_Season_1_Mural.jpg
724KB, 1920x1080px
>>381106145
SFV is the face of the genre in America, at least. In Japan, the image is more varied.

Either way, EVO 2016 was as massive as it was because of new games arriving, not least of which being Street Fighter V, which debuted after the forcible retirement of SF4, as well as other new games like Pokken and Tekken 7. It was also Marvel's last year. Now the honeymoon with SFV is over, so all the game have taken a hit.

That's not to say fighters are going away or are getting smaller. Even now, they are finding ways to expand their playerbase and get more people interested. The big news from a couple days ago, for example, was that of Killer Instinct coming to Steam.
>>
>>381101025

Did people really expect SFV to sustain 5k every year after 2016?

I mean regardless of the quality of the game, you really thought it was gonna do 5k every year once the fair weather and light weights leave?
>>
>>381107219
Better production values are a thing that people only notice when they go wrong. There is plenty of "dead" time when players aren't playing. They can actually take up over half of a stream's broadcast. This includes things like a player drinking a water bottle in between games to a guy mindlessly mashing buttons because his opponent hasn't shown up on the stage yet. They can have some rules to ensure the players are more efficient out of game, but it won't fix everything. So they have things like replays which are small reused tidbits of the content that people want to see. Most people would rather rewatch a game winning combo over a guy fucking around with his headphones.
>>
>>381108052
I think you feel this way about commentary because the only game you watch is SFV, so all the major tournaments are in CPT. Other games do not have this issue so the commentary is more colorful. You know you could just watch NLBC if you want your coonery, right?
>>
>>381101025
Has the entry period ended? I expected SFV to die down a lot since it was a new debut last year, and the reception for it is generally mixed.

Smash and Tekken are unexpected. T7 is pretty good and its a real shame. I haven't bothered with KoF14 but I LOVED 13 and wish they didn't ditch the 2D style
>>
>>381108539
They're trying too hard to force the spectator side of it man. You can say it's all "just delays" but I definitely feel like some game's (sf5) venues actually slow down the games to "digest" the last matches. I get there's dead time between matches, but that only goes so far.
>>
>>381109078
KOF XIV is SNK's grand return to conventional game development, and like it or not, 3D models are less expensive to put together than 2D sprites. Take it easy on them.
>>
>>381104435
Nobody plays GG because arcsys are jews
>>
>>381104996

This. I was not hyped like that for a fighting game since SF4.
>>
>>381109196
You feel that way but I can't plausibly think of a reason that if this were the case, they'd try to hide it and basically lie, as you're suggesting. If they wanted to shift to the commentator's booth and delay the players intentionally, they don't ever say anything indicating this, and when it does happen, its inconsistent. If they wanted to deliberately slow down the game to explain matches better, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for every match.

And don't get me wrong, I think CPT is highly spectator focused and some of the rules born from that (training stage ban) are bullshit, but I don't think this is one of the things they've sought to do.
>>
do people honestly take pokken seriously?
>>
>>381109780
I mean, there's Nintendo money/fame involved. Same reason why people would actually play ARMS seriously.
>>
Maybe because fighting games have the most abusive business model in vidya compared to the amount of work required to make one?
>>
File: 1497736629741.png (84KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
1497736629741.png
84KB, 600x587px
>>381110946
>>
>>381106930
>And not all vortex characters are top tier anyways.
They all were at a certain point. And like I said, it's either you run the vortex or you're just straight up stupid like Sin.
>>
Melee is a solved game. It needs to be retired.
>>
>>381112168
Yeah dude just power shield if they attack or spot dodge if they grab every time. All you have to do.
>>
>>381109780
Why wouldn't they if they enjoy it?
>>
>>381101025
>Injustice 2: 560
>MKX: 707 (2016 being its last year and in the time of Alien cancer)
get fucked injustice

>Tekken 7 keeping the same general numbers despite releasing in america couple weeks ago
>that SFV dropoff
damn son
>>
>>381112168
Darkstalker and 3s are just as solved but people still play that so good luck with that crap.
>>
>>381101025
>no touhou
>no arms
da fug
>>
>>381101025

Not surprising for SFV to fall off that much. The game is not just very fun to play at all.

CEO's SFV numbers were down by ~35% compared to last year. That's pretty fucking massive drop considering CEO is one of the bigger events. Also CEO's USFIV tournament had more players in it than the SFV event in Dreamhack that took place the same time. And that Dreamhack event was a premium event for the CPT, so it's not like players want to skip it.
>>
>>381101025
>esport shit
I couldn't care less and neither should you
>>
>>381101025
>rev2 has more players at EVO than concurrent players online
>>
>>381113190
It's incredibly difficult for a game to be solved because neutral exists. If the neutral tools are fun then people will enjoy observing their interactions. Smash is actually super lucky in a way because of how it's engine works. Your attacks produce similar and predictable results, but basically every time you hit someone you get a new result.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.