[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to fix modern sonic: >take lost world's mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: Sonic Lost World wall jumping.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Lost World wall jumping.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
How to fix modern sonic:
>take lost world's mechanics and revamp it to be more fluid and more momentum-based
>don't go full retard on the level design
>don't make any 2d sections, or make them very rare
>don't split up the gameplay style with different characters
>>
No, you fix it by making an Unleashed sequel, remove the story and werehog sections, with a format similar to Generations' hub world.
>>
>>381080980
>How to fix modern sonic: Stop fucking making it
Seriously, if something has been arguably shit to both the fanbase and outsiders, why the fuck keep making it? The reason they make these is because it's an easy cashgrab they don't exist for anything more than quick funds.
>>
File: 1477351955660.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477351955660.webm
3MB, 640x360px
How to fix Sonic:
>>
>>381081282
The creators are even more autistic than the fanbase.
>>
You just let it die. Sonic is fucking shit
>>
>>381081301
That doesnt look fun at all. Boring go straight semi-fast
>>
>>381081472
Download the tech demo and play it yourself, it's not like you have anything better to do.
>>
>>381081556
i dont waste my free time with games that should have died in 1990
>>
>>381080980
>How to fix modern sonic
Just use Generations' gameplay, and make the level design as good as Generations too. Generations was so fun, and the modern sections were actually better than the classic ones, I'm convinced it was made to make classic Sonic look bad.
>>
File: beat me to it.gif (618KB, 324x258px) Image search: [Google]
beat me to it.gif
618KB, 324x258px
But Sonic Utopia exsi-
>>381081301
>>
File: meh sonic come on son.png (323KB, 466x575px) Image search: [Google]
meh sonic come on son.png
323KB, 466x575px
>>381081670
Yet you're here. Hang yourself.
>>
>>381081301
this really but Op>>381080980
doesn't look half bad either. Maybe just make pit falls like this, have high walls to run up and down them, have open areas that let you choose 3 or 5 branch points where you go into a crevasse or tunnel that all lead to one point.
In fact what >>381081301
this did and what >>381080980
this did seems like it would make a really good sonic game.
>>
>>381081670
then why are you still playing the game of life?
>>
>>381080980
Proper 3D Sonic would need stages so big and so much work on every detail no company could afford a game like that.
>>
File: 2647589.jpg (1MB, 1000x996px) Image search: [Google]
2647589.jpg
1MB, 1000x996px
>>381081301
Combine this with
>>381080980
And add picture related.
>>
>>381084264
Add what from that exactly, a mechanic which obscures 90% of the screen for no reason?
>>
>>381080980
I honestly think Sonic just doesnt work in 3D, just go back to something like 2.5D and call it a day.
>>
File: sv2z11.png (103KB, 4700x640px) Image search: [Google]
sv2z11.png
103KB, 4700x640px
>>381084368
Not him, and I have no clue what you're talking about, but Advance 2 has at least two qualities that I'd love to see in more Sonic games, 2D or 3D

>Boost mode, activated by maintaining top speed for long enough, and made easier to reach the more rings you have
>Downward sloping level design that encourages constant forward movement

>>381084482
Get an imagination.
>>
>>381084368
The boost mechanic. Remove the shitty ''Press X to Boost'' and have Sonic go into a boost state when you run without getting hit or slowing down for a while.
Why I think this is a good idea is because you can design the levels to include some patches where skilled players will be able to get into boost mode by avoiding obstacles, and once you're in boost mode, the challenge is to maintain it for as long as possible.
Being in boost mode would of course let you jump much further, so there could be boost specific shortcuts all over the levels. I think it'd work great and go back to earlier Sonic games, where going fast is a reward for skillful play.
>>
>>381084660
What exactly is the difference between BOOST MODE and "going fast enough" from a design standpoint other than boost mode being extremely obnoxious?
>>
>>381084810
Why do you find boost mode obnoxious? Boost mode is a reward for maintaining speed, which gives you more speed to do more shit with and beat a level faster, which is one of the biggest parts of what make Sonic games work.
>>
Can't fix something that started bad.
>>
>>381080980
Constantly pander to the nostalgia of 35 year old man children while delivering competent but absolutely mediocre turn-off-your-brain gameplay focused on holding a button to get fast
>>
"Press X to boost" is fine in 2D. The Rush games, Colors DS, even the 2D segments in the console games prove that. It falls apart in 3D because it's too time and resource intensive to make 3D levels large enough to have rewarding gameplay, so the 3D segments amount to large open spaces full of nothing, and quick-time segments. Spin off Rush as a 2D boost side-series that focuses on 2D platforming using boost as a mechanic like it was originally designed to be, and focus on making a real 3D gameplay style for the main games.
>>
>>381081670
So you waste it by shitposting on /v/ instead?
>>
>>381084940
Have you played Green Hill Paradise Act 2? That's sort of like Utopia but jankier and with a boost state just as you're describing. With a boost state, there's a very loud line for when you're playing correctly and have enough speed to win whatever platforming you're trying to do. There's no ambiguity, so gaining momentum feels very binary and strict. You'll never go with the flow and hope for your best, it's you approach an area you know you'll need boost state to get through, but you don't have boost state, so you have to hunt for some ramp so you can cheese it. Utopia makes speed matter but it doesn't shut you down for trying to do something when you don't have enough speed by having the line between success and failure be a bit blurrier. Losing a bit of speed doesn't feel frustrating. Snapping out of boost state just feels annoying.
>>
I posted how to "fix" Sonic already just find it in the archive I can't copypaste.
>>381084810
Advance 2's boost mode turned it into it's own mechanic to learn to use and take advantage of, which also affected your other moves and just felt really satisfying to be in and control. It added another subtle layer of depth and made the dynamic between running and rolling that little bit more complex god damn I love Sonic Advance 2 so much.
>>
>>381084810
>>381085604
I can see your argument and I actually agree. I think that entering boost state feels good, but upon further thought, it doesn't really add anything to the game that isn't already achieved from playing well. It's just an audiovisual indication of going fast, which may be a nice way to attract people to playing your game, but is also detrimental in the end.

Another idea I've heard, which I think seem pretty neat, is replacing boost system that lets you hold a button and continuously boost with a temporary burst of speed, similar to a spindash or drop dash, except it stacks on top of your running speed and can be used mid-air.
It could use either rings as resources or have its separate meter. Every time you use it, it provides a short dash where Sonic is invulnerable, not unlike the homing attack, except it obviously isn't homing and only rockets Sonic forward. The idea is that it would let you defeat enemies or cross wider gaps without losing speed, but you wouldn't be able to use it all the time.
Might be too easy to abuse though and would trivialize obstacles. Just thought it sounded neat on paper at least.
>>
>>381086198
So basically WiiS2 Unleashed boost.
>>
>>381085604
that wasn't a bad idea but still way too much of a pain in the ass play.
>>
>>381086198
I think everyone in the world now sees that the main issue with Boost is how easy to maintain it is. Everyone except Sonic Team.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.