[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jrpg thread >what are your favorites >playing any >looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 295
Thread images: 89

File: slime_carousel.jpg (71KB, 590x325px) Image search: [Google]
slime_carousel.jpg
71KB, 590x325px
Jrpg thread

>what are your favorites
>playing any
>looking forward to anything in the future
>what do you want to see more of in the future of, can range from mechanics to game series in general
>>
>>381047215
>Favorites
Final Fantasy Tactics

>Playing
Final Fantasy V, Pokemon Sun Romhack

>Looking Forward To
Nothing right now to be honest. Tactical RPGs are dead. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is replaying FFT on Tuesday all day. Twentieth anniversary chaps.
>>
>>381047215

>what are your favorites

Fucked if I know anymore, they all have pros and cons.

>playing any

I've played 30 something in the last couple years. I'm trying to take a short break for a while (though I'll try to squeeze in the Mario & Luigi series since I've only played SSS) before I dive back into the Trails games. Need to go through the Crossbell games and Cold Steels still.

Well, the rest of the Trails series, SMT: Strange Journey, and the Digital Devil Sagas when I finally get around to them. If we're just talking yet to be released games, then I guess just Dragon Quest XI at the moment.
>>
File: elona pantheon resized.jpg (3MB, 4200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
elona pantheon resized.jpg
3MB, 4200x1400px
Do rogue-likes/lites count?

Elona. It's free and the autism is great.

Looking forward to it's Steam version since the create decided to put it there apparently.
>>
File: 1484853140432.jpg (350KB, 669x507px) Image search: [Google]
1484853140432.jpg
350KB, 669x507px
What a comfty thread and perfect OP image.

I want to play Persona 5 in future but no $ for awhile. If i cared ENOUGH and thought it was THAT good id buy it. I set up PS2 emu for perfet 1080p 60 -- for Persona 3/4 but are they even worth playing? I love jRPGs but im not diehard for anything that isn't really set apart like Earthbound or whatnot.

I been told I can get away with just playing P5.

I know the general basics of PS3/4.

I played about 2 hours in P3 using Save/load Fast forward and it makes it tolerable its just I have to be at peace playing these games but my roomates are so annoying I just crack out on multiplayer pvp shit.

Its really fucking depressing.
>>
>>381048717
The thing is the persona series have a big VN focus which is what seperates from everything else. The games have you as a teenager doing your typical VN stuff. Walk around town, do errands for people, and (most famous) talk and date various girls.

As a huge motherfag who heard they were also unique jrpgs set in the modern day I can tell you they probably aren't for you unless you enjoy VNs.
>>
>>381047215
>>what are your favorites
I really liked DQ8, the Pokemon games, and Persona 4 Golden and P5.

>>playing any
Yeah actually. Trying to finish up P5 but I burned out. Just beat Shido too so I know I'm almost done.

>>looking forward to anything in the future
FF XII I guess. And looking forward to play IV on my trip overseas this summer on my vita.

>>what do you want to see more of in the future of, can range from mechanics to game series in general
I've played so little of jrpgs in general that I don't really have many complaints. I prefer the shorter ones that range from 20-30 hours. It took me 3 months to beat DQ8 earlier this year, and I've been on P5 since it came out.
>>
>>381047215
>favourites
Tales of Legendia, Threads of Fate, Secret of Mana

>playing
DQ8, Legend of Dragoon and at the moment I'm playing Pokemon Green (translated) on my super game boy. I really prefer the sprites in this game compared to blue and red.

>looking forward to
nothing really? I can't really think of anything at the moment.
>>
>tfw with all the time I've spent playing jrpgs i probably could've learned japanese
>>
>>381050058

I started studying Japanese then let JRPGs take over my life for a while.
>>
>Favorites
Final Fantasy V, Panzer Dragoon Saga

>Playing any
Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest XI if it gets localized

>>381049935
>Pokemon Green (translated)
Hope it's the vietnamese rom.
>>
>>381047215
>favorites
Dragon Quest III, V, and VIII
>playing
replaying m&l superstar saga
>looking forward to
m&l superstar saga dx
>>
>>381050152
>vietnamese rom

what's the difference? it's the one from aliexpress so not sure what the the rom is.
>>
File: atlus rpg.jpg (350KB, 1944x1210px) Image search: [Google]
atlus rpg.jpg
350KB, 1944x1210px
>>381047215
>favorites
BoF3

>playing
started ar tonelico 2 yesterday

>looking forward to
atlus' new RPG and FFXII
>>
>>381050058
this. I'm studying Hiragana right now but I've spent alot more time playing P5
>>
File: Untitled.png (281KB, 639x476px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
281KB, 639x476px
>>381050382
The difference is the hilariously awful translation
>>
>>381047215
Currently playing FFXV. It's ok but granted I wasn't really expecting much after all the delays; them writing Stella out was the final red flag for me to stop giving a fuck about it.
>>
>what are your favorites
Mother series, Xenoblade, SMT Nocturne, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
>what are you playing
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and (not a jrpg) replaying the Metal Gear series
>what are you looking forward to
SMT5, Xenoblade 2
>>
>>381049682
i dont mind/like the VN part. i was around jp around 2009~11 and when the board got shit up 2k11 is when i lost inspiration to get into VNs cause the culture just went mainstream as fuck. not talking just on v or the site itself. I mean facebook/twitter level memegarbage. that doesnt mean content is bad but its like that friend who always talks about [X SERIES] and you never want to do watch that thing even if its good.
>>
>>381050721
oh! then unfortunately no. my translation is fine.
>>
>>381050510
>BoF3
Good taste even if BoF4 is better.

Also holy shit, I'm just hearing abputbthat atlus game now. A new ip by them sounds great, seeing as kaneko is the artist it seems like they're taking this serious and not just testing something new out.
>>
>>381050721
Let's not forget the translation for Crystal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nmhehvTiu4
>>
File: atlus2.jpg (649KB, 1944x1210px) Image search: [Google]
atlus2.jpg
649KB, 1944x1210px
>>381051131
it's supposed to be their big new project
>>
Does anyone have a nice map to follow for DQ1 (GBC)? I really want to play it, but it's honestly difficult to navigate especially with the constant random encounters.
>>
>>381051928
If you don't enjoy tedious random encounters you're playing the wrong game
>>
>>381051928
I don't, but I really recommend not using one, a big part of the game is the satisfaction you get from navigating the world and exploring, a fun option would be to make your own map as you go along
>>
File: 1399569448327.jpg (320KB, 600x868px) Image search: [Google]
1399569448327.jpg
320KB, 600x868px
>>381047215
I keep seeing these threads, and they're nice threads, but I haven't actually got around to playing anything in the past week.

I finally have some time to play and I know I'll have fun if I do but I can't get myself to sit down and concentrate. I think JRPGs require some player investment to get the best experience, unlike random multiplayer games you can just pick up and play.
>>
>>381051928
DQ1 has a incredibly small overworld and only takes around ten hours beat, a map isn't really needed.
>>381052654
Yeah I get you, sometimes I have points where I'm so busy at the moment that I will put off playing a rpg even if I have been wanting to play it. Maybe try some third and fourth gen jrpgs, they tend to be shorter and probably range from 10-30 hours.
>>
>>381052256
I don't mind encounters for the most part, it's just irritating when you want to explore without constantly having to fight.
>>381052325
I would love to explore, but the older I get the less I care about that type of satisfaction especially when it's a continuous stop-go kind of travel.
>>
File: 354358-stranger_of_sword_city.jpg (117KB, 1000x621px) Image search: [Google]
354358-stranger_of_sword_city.jpg
117KB, 1000x621px
>>381047215
currently playing stranger in sword city. I'm having fun with it, but it is difficult. I've been in the starter area for days now and monsters one hit kill me.
>>
>>381047215
I just started Ys origins. I'm going to try to play through the whole series, at least what I can get on vita/pc.

The combat is weird in this. I just got to the first boss and I do almost no damage to him. I die from the fire shooting from the wall in seconds if I go near him. Are there side quests or something to get better gear and level up or should I just be grinding? Maybe there is a mechanic or something I missed that would help? Does anyone have experience with this game that could help me?
>>
>>381050152
Nice I'm playing dq iv just got to chapter 3 how are you liking it so far?
>>
>>381052906
You playing on PC? Turn off V-sync...there is an infamous bug making the game dificult for absurd reason.
>>
>>381052906
My mistake, I meant Ys 1 & 2 chronicles, not origins. I'm playing the beginning of Ys 1 right now. I picked up Origins too so I confused the names.

Could really use help with this one if anyone has tips.
>>
>>381053241
In Ys levels do make a nice difference, especially in the first game where the level cap is 10. So yeah you might want to get an extra level, but its also possible to not get hit during bosses so it isn't necessary
>>
>what are your favorites
LoH series, Dragon Quest series, Chrono Cross, and Tales of Destiny
>playing any
Exist Archive and trying to get through Star Ocean 5. Just finished my 4th run of Tales of Symphonia.
Ni No Kuni 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, FFXII Zodiac Age, Project Octopath, Cold Steel 3, and .hack remaster/remake or whatever it is since I never played the originals.
>what do you want to see more of in the future of, can range from mechanics to game series in general
I would actually like to see the skill system in Rogue Galaxy again using random stuff you find to use as ingredients to unlock skills. Actually I would like to see another Rogue Galaxy again.
>>
File: psiv-alys-brangwin.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
psiv-alys-brangwin.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
>>381047215
>favorites
The first two Paper Mario games, the Mother trilogy, and I unironically love Chrono Trigger. I also liked Bravely Default, the only JRPG made past 2010 that I've played.
>playing any
Phantasy Star IV. Love it, but I've put off finishing it for over a month.
>looking forward to any in the future
Mario and Luigi DX
>what do you want to see more of
Stuff like the Bravely games that stay turn-based but still add an interesting mechanic that adds weight to each decision.
>>
>>381053538
>trying to get through so5
am i the only person who enjoys this game?
>>
File: duel.jpg (24KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
duel.jpg
24KB, 400x300px
>>381047215
>Favorite
Final Fantasy Tactics

>Currently Playing
Final Fantasy IV and The After Years. I expect loads of disappointment story-wise from the latter.

>Looking Forward To
Final Fantasy V, I've been doing the Main series in numerical order. I decided to add The After Years to my list because I had the PSP version of FF4.
>>
Playing dragon quest 7, game is fun, and relaxing on 3ds
>>
>>381053854
I just cannot get into it and the camera bouncing around on every little bump is pissing me off more than I would ever to expect to be mad at a camera.
>>
>>381053719

>the only JRPG made past 2010 that I've played.

I was about to tell you what you've missed out on, but then I realized that most of the ones I wanted to name were pre-2010. I'm sure there's some good one that have come out in the last 7 years, but putting remakes and ports aside, I'm drawing a blank.I've played a few fuckloads of JRPGs these past couple of years, but they were mostly from the 80s-early 2000s.
>>
>>381053854
Dude let's be honest, in general the SO is a pretty niche series made of shitty budgets. Other SO2 none of them are well regarded and even then SO2 is more of a niche favorite then a cult classic or anything.
>>
>>381054207
I totally agree, but it just seems so5 gets this weird treatment and I can't understand why. I'm not really a huge fan of the series so I can't nitpick, but maybe that's the issue.
>>
>>381047215
>Favorites
Paper Mario and Tales of Symphonia, though I have a hard time replaying Symphonia nowadays.

>Playing
Just finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd today, might take a short break from jrpgs and either move on to Zero no Kiseki, The Last Remnant or Grandia 2

>Looking forward to/want to see
Tales of Vesperia PC/PS4, Namco please.
>>
File: Capture.png (141KB, 510x768px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
141KB, 510x768px
>Joseph asks hero (thinking he's god) to watch over Melanie
>hero accepts
>hero watches idly as Amanda puts poison in the food Melanie prepared for the dog
>hero watches idly as Melanie gives the poisoned food to the dog
>hero doesn't move an inch as the dog consumes the poison
What a fucking doofus.
>>
>>381054175
A big problem is that "traditional" jrpgs are dead. The biggest rpgs that seem to be left are hybrids like Trails and Persona, and while P5 is great, many old rpg fans will be turned off by the visual novel aspect, and rightfully so. The only game I've been really looking forward to is Dragon Quest XI, mostly because its one of the few vanguards of old school jrpg mechanics that hasn't gone the way of throwing in moe characters to have otaku buy them
>>
File: pixiv_id_48069290.jpg (686KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
pixiv_id_48069290.jpg
686KB, 800x1131px
Surprising amount of love for the Dragon Quest series in this thread. Am I just lucky or does DQ actually have a decent sized west fanbase and Square is just fucking with me?
>>
>>381054446
I haven't played SO5 myself, as you said it got a lot of negative reception, but from what I remember even then people had zero expectations for it. I remember when it was releasing basically all discussion was "I want to fuck the girl with the huge tits and witch hat". When you have people going in expecting shit, and probably getting shit, they will tear it to shreads. People love shitting on stuff more then praising things, see /v/ and battleborn.
>>
File: 01130.png (169KB, 224x192px) Image search: [Google]
01130.png
169KB, 224x192px
>no news of Octopath Traveler in E3

just fuck my shit up
>>
>>381055027
It has a decent sized fanbase here on /v/
>>
>>381053512
Wow you weren't kidding. Leveled up once and he died in 3 hits lol.

Thanks.
>>
>>381055046
Yeah I remember those threads unfortunately. Once they announced Fiore (the witch) the threads were never the same.
>>
>>381055027
She should be hairy.
>>
>>381055027
It does, the thing is to SE unless you're a huge mega hit you're seen as worthless. Look at capcom as another example, lot if great series that if theybgot a new installment might sell moderately well but because they wouldn't live up to thier ridiculous expectations they are left to rot or worse, become mobile garbage and live on only through that.
>>
File: 1497683306709.jpg (185KB, 725x481px) Image search: [Google]
1497683306709.jpg
185KB, 725x481px
>>381047215
>what are your favorites
Chrono Trigger, Mother 3, FFXV, FFV, FFVI, Summon Night Swordcraft Story, Pokemon Emerald
>playing any
Pokemon Moon, FFXV postgame, nier automata, P5
M&L SSS remake, episode Prompto
>>
File: 1488858642373.png (281KB, 556x524px) Image search: [Google]
1488858642373.png
281KB, 556x524px
Playing the Miitopia demo.

When you start pulling random-ass Miis from online to populate towns, it's like if /v/ made a JRPG via Mad Libs.

Disappointingly most of the non-generalist RPG classes aren't in the demo besides pop idol and chef, and the character levels aren't high enough to make notable use of that, but seeing characters grow closer, do wacky stuff out of and during combat, it's really engaging even if the battles mostly play themselves outside of some minor manual interventions when they get close to dying.
>>
File: 13884403271472.jpg (20KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
13884403271472.jpg
20KB, 407x286px
>>381055397
When will Square realize the only way to make IPs more popular is to actually localize them at a constant rate?

Is there any company out there that would give this series the respect it deserves in the West?
>>
>>381055853

SE is one of the dumbest video game companies I know of. They make mistake after mistake and they never learn. I think the biggest reasons why the company still exist is dumb luck and the fact that they've invested in anime and such. It's unfortunate really. I'd like to see them go out of business and have other companies get hold of their IPs.
>>
>>381056110
>announce games when they haven't even entered per-production yet
>keep doing it for years
>kept the trend alive with the avengers title this year
The bad thing is other companies are doing it too now. BG&E2, Prime 4, and Pokemon RPG this year
>>
>>381056623

Well, Nintendo probably just announced those to sell more Switches. It's shitty from a customer's point of view, but if it increases sales, businesses will love it. I don't understand why other companies do it though.
>>
>>381056623
XV took like 6 years to release from the time they showed it as XIII Versus, that's an entire fucking console gen. KH3 is about as old. If Prime 4 is slated for a 2019 release, people are going to complain.
>>
>>381057386
Did you know Final Fantasy XV: Boyhood took 12 years to make?
>>
>>381057386
>XV took like 6 years to release from the time they showed it as XIII Versus
10 years since it showed up in 2006
>KH3 is about as old
I think it's only 4, I don't think they working on it before that. They were just doing those handheld spinoffs forever though
>If Prime 4 is slated for a 2019 release
Hell, I think that's being generous. I don't expect prime 4 to come out until 2020
>>
>>381047215
>playing through DQ3 SFC
>2 wizard 1 cleric hero party
>by the end of the game there's almost no point in casting damage spells against anything threatening, Baramos was able to oneshot people if he took 2 actions in a row because for some fucking reason Barrier takes forever to unlock
>2 fighter 1 soldier hero party
>Boss Troll and Baramos are nearly impossible without grinding
Why, just why?
>>
File: 28082668_p3.jpg (79KB, 567x708px) Image search: [Google]
28082668_p3.jpg
79KB, 567x708px
Everyday I hope for PC ports of Star Ocean.
>>
>>381057781
Baramos is honestly more difficult then Zoma in my experience. Baramos took me a few tries and when I did was with one party member still alive, I beat Zoma on my first try. However I did use the orb that weakens Zoma, Zoma at full power is probably tied with God in VII as tge hardest boss in the series.
>>
im playing through re:chain of memories, but damn is it a slog
>>
File: Terranigma-3.png (1MB, 900x605px) Image search: [Google]
Terranigma-3.png
1MB, 900x605px
People who defend turn-based combat are objectively wrong. It's like defending point 'n click.
>>
>>381047215
SRPG
FFT
Disgaea
Luminous Arc infinity

"classic" JRPG
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9
Atelier 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

AJRPG
Dark Souls 1-3, BB
SO2

Rougelike JPRG
Elona
Omega labyrinth Z

>>playing any
.Hack IMOQ in prep for GU remake
SO2
Genkai Tokki 7 pirates
TRYING to play Sen no Kiseki, it's super boring, every time I quit I restart and every time I restart i feel like quitting. Game is too slow, gameplay pacing sucks.

OLZ, Genkai Tokki Panzer, Yoru no nai kuni 2, new Atelier Mobage

Dropped games:
EO5
DT2
P5
Disgaea 5

Stalled Games:
Rune Factory 2/3/4
SO5
Nep VII
Nep 4GO
Tales of Xillia

Just got a 3ds but I hardly touch it because my psp/psv/ps3 back log is huge.

Seriously I'm more interested in the new atelier's mobage over the next Mystery game.

I know people will hate me but I dropped P5 for the same reason I dropped persona 4, it's nothing but cut scenes and the game literally takes control away from you and time gates gameplay. It's retarded. Also the game isn't much fun when your allowed to play it anyways. People often shit on ecchi games but Genkai Tokki and OL at least allow you to play the game, also they are just much more fun to play. Also P5 girls are kinda shit, Yukiko best girl. I'm she will be in the SJ remake.

Also I am playing waaay too much stuff right now which leads me to think I'll be dropping sen no kiseki again. I really wish JRPG's stopped being 70+ hours long.

What's a good psp/vita/ps1/ps2 jrpg that is short and game play focused?

Kinda been in a slump just shit posting 4chan and ignoring games, anime, manga, light novel, and vns. I think I might have bought too much too fast and burnt out trying to finish it all.
>>
>>381058416
Stop obsessing over things you don't like and focus on things you do like.
>>
>>381058416
Here's your (You), now leave.
>>
File: Final Fantasy IV.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy IV.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>>381047215

I decided on final fantasy 2 (us one) as my first jrpg. However I did some research and found out the US version was completely casualized. Decided to find a patch that fixed some translation shit and made the game difficulty like the Japanese one.

So I got to Mount Ordeals pretty easily, learned the mechanics well enough, how to make decisions well.

Then I fight Scarmiglione. Holy fucking shit, talk about a sudden casual filter. First time dying in the game so far, haven't fought him again since. There is probably something I am doing wrong.
>>
>>381058416
Action based combat is the worst thing introduced into JRPG's and is always vastly inferior to their non-RPG counter parts.
>>
File: 37609_front.jpg (97KB, 640x435px) Image search: [Google]
37609_front.jpg
97KB, 640x435px
So what's the hardest JRPG you've ever played?

My vote goes to the first NES DBZ game. We're talking 6-7 hours of grinding before every single boss.
>>
>>381058652
Is it the first or the second fight with him?
>>
>>381058772
JRPGs are not hard.
>>
>>381058868
How come?
>>
>>381058804

First fight, he just keeps on thunderbolting my ass and I can't heal my party fast enough. Probably not being efficient enough I suppose.
>>
File: ff1eye.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ff1eye.png
3KB, 256x224px
How can one game be so fucking perfect?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96KB, 904x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96KB, 904x1080px
What's your opinion on JRPGs with a fast-forward button?
>>
>>381058937
By playing the PS1 version
>>
File: TLR.jpg (757KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TLR.jpg
757KB, 1280x1024px
>>381058868
*Raidlocks you*
>>
>>381059113
Its a quality of life feature I appreciate, especially if the game expects you to grind.
>>
>>381059113
Every JRPG needs that feature. Too bad BD is the only one with it that I like.
>>
>>381059113
A blessing.
>>
>>381059113
as in skip attack animations? It should be a fucking requirement in any game, especially games that go all out with effects. Even shitty games like neptunia and good games like disgaea allow you to skip combat animations.
>>
>>381059113
I feel like it ruins the experience.
>>
>>381059207
>Sequel improves the gameplay
>But fucks up the music, story, setting, characters and world to such a degree that it's far inferior

I will never not be mad, especially after that trailer in Default showed such promise.
>>
>>381059113
I find that after a couple of hours of playing a game I get attuned to its pace, so fast forwarding doesn't really matter to me in the end. Like I don't give a single shit about how slow FF9 is, for example.
>>
>>381059373
BD was a shitty game as far as jrpg goes. Not even the best jrpg on the 3ds.
>>
>>381047215

>favourites
SMT, FFIX, Mother 2, Atelier Totori

>playing
Do DRPGs count? I'm currently playing Dungeon Travelers 2-2.

>Looking forward to anything?
Getting around to playing Persona 5.
>>
>>381059305
No, as in Chrono Cross' actual fast forward feature once you beat the game.
>>
File: amano1.jpg (82KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
amano1.jpg
82KB, 600x450px
>Series has some of the dopest concept art ever created for videogames.

>Completely drops the amazing artstyle for generic anime shit.

Can you imagine if a modern day game actual tried to copy Amano's artstyle in 3d?
>>
File: Green-Dragon.jpg (29KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Green-Dragon.jpg
29KB, 400x240px
>>381047215
>what are your favorites
Can't decide, I usually list a bunch but I don't want to bother right now.
>playing any
Still Meurs run in The Legend of Legacy. Trying to find a Lizardman Warchief before breaking the seal open and releasing the rest of the map. Also trying out the Ever Oasis demo.
The Alliance Alive, almost everything in the upcoming 3DS releases lineup.
The setting I enjoy. I've elaborated on it in these threads before but it's the type in Shining Force, Etrian Odyssey, and 7th Dragon.
>>
>>381059507
retarded
>>
>>381058937
If animations didn't take 5 years and so much shit wasn't broken it would be way better. It's why I prefer the PS1 version massively.
>>
File: Combat.png (466KB, 810x480px) Image search: [Google]
Combat.png
466KB, 810x480px
>That one game you try to play from a new game every 5 years but quit halfway through

What's her name, /v/? Yggdra Union and FF XII for me
>>
Should I buy berseria if I've never finished a tales game?
>>
>>381057779
>>381057604
>>381057386
XV was only 3-4 years actually as XV in full dev.
>>
About to start Star Ocean: Until the End of Time. Is it good?
>>
Been playing Wild Arms 2, it's kinda easy but fun. Tim is OP.

Gonna play SMT Nocturne next probably, either that or the Witcher series but that's not JRPG.
>>
File: 1489104.jpg (26KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1489104.jpg
26KB, 320x320px
>>381059520
>Can you imagine if a modern day game actual tried to copy Amano's artstyle in 3d?
If they could pull it off JUST right...
>>
>>381058906
With the zombies? Because if it's that one, oh boy are you in for a treat.
>>
>>381049730
>>381049935
Is DQ8 worth getting?
>>
File: Starman_Clay_Model.png (329KB, 517x875px) Image search: [Google]
Starman_Clay_Model.png
329KB, 517x875px
What are your favorite jrpg enemies? I don't know about you guys but the monsters are some of my favorite things in jrpgs, I love seeing all the creative and weird things you face in your adventures.
>>
>>381059643
We know but did you not read the conversation my man
We we're talking about announcing games when they haven't entered pre-production yet. One anon got the years mixed up and the other was shitposting RLM memes
>>
File: DeisCollage2013.png (884KB, 961x694px) Image search: [Google]
DeisCollage2013.png
884KB, 961x694px
>Tons of sentient species
>Your party is 6 humans
>>
>>381059709

I'm not very good at this genre. But also note, I am playing on the original difficulty, not the western version. I've had single hits from normal mobs wipe out a character.
>>
File: saga-scarletgracevita4.jpg (170KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
saga-scarletgracevita4.jpg
170KB, 1024x640px
>>381047215
Most likely Suikoden 2 and Jade Cocoon, although both have their problems.

>>playing any
3 Stars of Destiny, one of many bootleg RPG Maker games. It's perfectly mediocre.

SaGa Scarlet Grace finally getting translated for starters.
>>
File: FF8_Malboro.png (411KB, 796x738px) Image search: [Google]
FF8_Malboro.png
411KB, 796x738px
>>381059825
AHYUK
>>
>>381059873
>Tons of sentient species
>Your party is four morphing monsters
>>
>>381059520
Styles like that are incredibly rare in modern games. They lent themselves better to games with sprite based graphics or otherwise simple or non-realistic games that didn't need the art to be as accurate to the games as most is now.
Some games, like the game below your post, still have some of it included as character portraits but it is largely disused.
>>
File: 51-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02465.jpg (109KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
51-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02465.jpg
109KB, 640x480px
>yfw
>>
File: digikawaii.gif (1019KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
digikawaii.gif
1019KB, 500x375px
>>381059652
How far are you into it? I really enjoyed my playthrough
>>
File: 1535309-no_3_mole.jpg (12KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
1535309-no_3_mole.jpg
12KB, 256x223px
>>381059825
>Starman
The Mother series has some top tier baddies
>>
File: die.gif (373KB, 672x576px) Image search: [Google]
die.gif
373KB, 672x576px
>>381059825
Most FOE's from EO.
Also the Immortal Mantis from Legend of Legacy, but zero pics of it exist online.
>>
>>381059873
This is one of BoF strengths, the diversity of races and characters. In the BoF series the people of the world have pretty established societies and you're able to recruit various people of various races. It's a great quality and I would love to see it more with jrpgs that have different races then just humans.
>>
File: big cock.jpg (79KB, 741x960px) Image search: [Google]
big cock.jpg
79KB, 741x960px
>>381059825
How about something traditional? I know when I see one of these crop up I am about to have a bad time.
>>
>>381059874
Put your casters in the back row.
>>
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dragon-quest-xi-details-ps4-exclusive-features

New DQXI stuff
>>
After playing jrpg's on and off through my entire fucking life but never finishing one, I finally got to the end of Chrono Trigger after a few marathon binge sessions.

I'm reluctant to call anything "perfect" but it's hard to think of any criticism of the game that doesn't devolve down to nitpicking levels. What a fucking great game. After picking it up and dropping it several times in the past, I'm so glad that I managed to see it to the end this time. The ending was so good that it put a big dumbass smile on my face from as soon as it started until the credits rolled.
>>
File: slide-anime6.jpg (71KB, 460x360px) Image search: [Google]
slide-anime6.jpg
71KB, 460x360px
Has anyone else ever played this? The music is so fucking good, and the boss battles were clever, but I remember getting stuck after a while and not finishing it. Is it worth going back to?
>>
File: PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT3_77430.jpg (291KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT3_77430.jpg
291KB, 1280x720px
>>381060121
I just like it when JRPGs actually HAVE art styles and aren't completely interchangeable. Fan can tell these games apart but holy fuck do they all blend together.
>>
>>381047215
Playing Trails SC. Not bad but desperately needs animation skip. I really hate Falcom pacing sometimes.

When i'm not doing that, I work on a rom hack.
>>
>>381060284

They are. Anyways, I've only tried it once, I will probably get it eventually.
>>
Looking forward to that RH remake? They better not ruin best kid sidekick.
>>
>>381059825
FF goblins
>>
File: I don't give a hee ho.jpg (77KB, 640x1079px) Image search: [Google]
I don't give a hee ho.jpg
77KB, 640x1079px
>>381059825
I love Jack Frost
>>
File: 15479_504768.jpg (147KB, 1375x1009px) Image search: [Google]
15479_504768.jpg
147KB, 1375x1009px
>>381047215
Live A Live. Game I persist would be venerated as one of the classics had it ever been released outside of Japan proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OAcIMiXvAI
>>
>>381059873

What's she from?
>>
File: Panzer Dragoon Saga.jpg (56KB, 545x463px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer Dragoon Saga.jpg
56KB, 545x463px
Daily reminder to finally play this fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>381060474
Eh, the main game is probably the same thing anyway. Then the bonus chapter is probably going to be focused more on the new girl (because every Atlus remake/port has a new girl apparently) than the other party members.
>>
>>381059810
Yes.

Especially if you are in the mood for a traditional turn based JRPG.

If you care for graphics the most, get the PS2 version.
If you like portability plus some more content, get the 3DS version.
>>
File: BreathofFire_Interiors-17.jpg (370KB, 1000x1513px) Image search: [Google]
BreathofFire_Interiors-17.jpg
370KB, 1000x1513px
>>381059873
>imblyign
>>
File: shadowrun-mcd.jpg (118KB, 640x545px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun-mcd.jpg
118KB, 640x545px
>>381047215
Is Shadowrun for Sega CD any good? I see it's been translated but you can't really find any opinions on it.
>>
>>381060380
Yeah, I can't tell for a lot of them either. Have to change it up once in a while with something distinct and memorable.
>>
>>381060537
Deis from the Breath of Fire series. She appears in the first four games, that is her from the second game, Breath of Fire II.
>>
When we will get more info on ATlus new game, Project RE Fantasy?
It's been a while since they announced it so I think they should have enough new info they could share
>>
>>381047657
>Favorites
>Final Fantasy Tactics

My man. How do you feel about the Ogre series or Fire Emblem?
>>
>>381060647

I would avoid it, it's like Snatcher but not as interesting.
>>
help what do I do in DQ9
>>
>>381060643
You misunderstood him. He is pointing at BoF as a series that is good at this, not a victim of this.
>>
>>381060726
make party grind level kill boss
>>
File: Growlanserwayfareroftimeboxart.jpg (179KB, 250x435px) Image search: [Google]
Growlanserwayfareroftimeboxart.jpg
179KB, 250x435px
>>381047215
Are other Growlanser games any good. Particularly interesting in 3 and 5.
Any other hidden gems on PS2/PSP?
>>
>>381052996
A bit late, but I also just got to chapter 3.

I'm having a blast so far. Torneko is pretty funny and the wageslave simulator is hilarious.

I'm anticipating the hot chocolate twins and the boners they'll give me.
>>
File: Te.jpg (75KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
Te.jpg
75KB, 512x448px
I have this strange fetish for JRPGs where horrible, terrible things happen to sympathetic characters.

Like that Phantasy Star which just ends with everyone dying for no reason. What game today would allow that?
>>
>>381060916
Didn't FF type-0 end that way
>>
>>381048717
Give 3 a shot first. If you like it, you'll most likely enjoy the others. I recommend 3 first because it's got the best overall feel, imo. 4 had a better story but the setting wasn't as strong. And while I think 5 is easily the best of the three, I wouldn't recommend playing it without having dabbled into the earlier Persona games.
>>
>>381060331

>Facial expressions and actions are fully depicted.

And no VA and MIDI music. I don't mind either, it's just kind of funny to me that they advertise facial expressions (which have been a thing in vidieo games for a long time).
>>
>>381060916
I heard the newer SMT game on 3DS allowed you to kill all the waifus or something.
>>
>>381060916
Oh boy, Mother 3 is for you then.

You remember that suffering chart /v/ made a few weeks ago? Lucas, the main protagonist, made the suffering: 100 , Deserving: 0 placement.
>>
>>381060997
Yeah, but who did you really care about in Type-0?
>>
>>381060997
>Sympathetic

>>381061062
I guess. human life isn't really all that precious in SMT anyway. Persona 5 starts off with 80 people dying in an accident and people are, like, whatever.
>>
File: terranigma.jpg (67KB, 450x378px) Image search: [Google]
terranigma.jpg
67KB, 450x378px
>>381060916
>I have this strange fetish for JRPGs where horrible, terrible things happen to sympathetic characters.

Be careful what you wish for, anon.
>>
>>381061127
>>381061138
I was just referring to the ending itself, not the sympathetic part
>>
File: b8.png (45KB, 510x386px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
45KB, 510x386px
>>381060589
It would be so easy to add a few more bad ends. There are at least 2 characters who didn't end up betraying you yet.
>>
Some new DQXI monsters.

Loving the egg mech and the slot monster.
>>
>>381060726
Alchemize the rusty sword with nine glass frit
>>
>>381060821
shit I only have 2 of those down
>>
File: bof3.gif (2MB, 542x307px) Image search: [Google]
bof3.gif
2MB, 542x307px
>>
>>381061856
what does it mean
also going to bed goodnight jrpg thread
>>
File: CTyNTneUYAA13xj.jpg (106KB, 600x687px) Image search: [Google]
CTyNTneUYAA13xj.jpg
106KB, 600x687px
>>381060861
>tfw I couldn't go a single play session without beating one off after having them in my party
It was pretty hard to hold off. Fucking Toriyama knew what he was doing.
>>
>>381061857
the kill boss part is hard. sometimes you gotta do a grind party bit. is tricky
>>
>>381061958
>Talk to Krak Pot
>Go to try your luck
>Put in rusty sword
>Put in nine glass frit
>???
>Second best sword in game
>>
File: Lyp.gif (612KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lyp.gif
612KB, 640x480px
>>381061934
>we will ever have a new BoF with amazing pixel art ever aganin
>>
>>381060643
>Humans
>Some black dude
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>381061346
>Pic not related
>>
>>381062194
moar
>>
>>381061972

They're the best DQ girls. Though I don't have the problem of wanting to beat off every time I see them when playing DQ IV because they're just little sprites. May be a different story if I played Dragon Quest Heroes though.
>>
File: 61485653_p0.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
61485653_p0.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>381060850
I want answers or one of these bitches gonna get it!
>>
File: Hail, travelers!.gif (421KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
Hail, travelers!.gif
421KB, 500x435px
>>381063019
BoFIV is probably the best pixelart in the genre. It's a phenomenal game too.
>>
>>381063248
4 had better graphics, but 3 had better designs and was a better game
4 is still a great game
>>
File: Initiative.gif (2MB, 490x378px) Image search: [Google]
Initiative.gif
2MB, 490x378px
>>381063248
>>
File: Victory.gif (360KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
Victory.gif
360KB, 500x384px
>>381063383
I respectively disagree but respect your opinion. I played BoFIV after BoFIII and honestly it just is better in every way to me. The only thing i might give III over IV is the gene system and even then that is a bit underwhelming.
>>
File: dq9_wp04_1920.jpg (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dq9_wp04_1920.jpg
3MB, 1920x1200px
Is there any game better localized than DQIX? It managed to make written accents enjoyable rather than tedious.
>>
>>381063073
Looking at their portraits on the DS remake always reminded me of all the art and doujins they have, so that's why.
>>
>>381063248
>>381063393
>>381063610
wtf why isn't this game talked about. this is PS1 gold
>>
>>381063759

Oh I guess that'd do it. I played the PSX version, which has no portraits.
>>
File: Ey3TTJB.gif (110KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
Ey3TTJB.gif
110KB, 500x336px
>>
>>381063812
Best PS1 2D or 2.5D graphics: BoF 4, Saga Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, or ???
>>
File: Breath.of.Fire.IV.full.543675.jpg (607KB, 1250x750px) Image search: [Google]
Breath.of.Fire.IV.full.543675.jpg
607KB, 1250x750px
>>381063812
I feel its talked about quite a bit on here an /vr/, towards the midpoint on I only played for the Fou-Lou sequences though, my god he's a great villain

also has the best fishing
>>
>>381063248
I sincerely hope the next trend in indie games is PS1-type graphics like this. 3D environment, 2D and expressive characters.
>>
>>381063812

Its really not that great. Pretty mediocre game.
>>
>>381063883
I really wish I could have played that instead, because I hate dual screens. Too bad I cant into japanese.
>>
File: yawn.gif (192KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
yawn.gif
192KB, 500x355px
>>381063812
Breath of Fire IV has moderate fame. Unfortunately when it came out the ps2 was already released so it got pretty ignored. While npt the biggest name it is mentioned when ps1 jrpgs are being discussed.

Honestly maybe my personal favorite jrpg, hell, maybe even game ever made. It has it's flaws, I won't say it's completely perfect, but it is amazing.
>>
>>381064420

At least with the DS version you can stock up on 99 Swords of Evil's Bane (or whatever they're called in English, I think the name was Cautery sword or something) with Torneko and sell them later. I heard about that before I played the game, but you don't get the back until chapter 5 in the PSX version, so all I could do was bring 8 or 9 to chapter 5 with Torneko.
>>
File: slime.gif (392KB, 468x311px) Image search: [Google]
slime.gif
392KB, 468x311px
please don't die, this thread was going great.
>>
File: baker.jpg (125KB, 613x600px) Image search: [Google]
baker.jpg
125KB, 613x600px
>>381060850
Growlanser is generally considered mediocre by critics and players alike but it's my favourite JRPG series and I think it's amazing. Growlanser IV (the one you posted) is my favourite. The gameplay is really fun, the battles are strategic, have varied win conditions that keep the gameplay interesting and encourage a variety of tactics, and the skill system leads to various builds and setups for each fight. Storywise it starts slow and contains some tropes but it's a decent JRPG story with memorable characters and locations. The 'home base' area that you develop throughout the game is super comfy. It also has character-dependent endings and three separate routes. One of the neat things about the PSP version is that there are several instances where a character's death can be prevented depending on your actions, there's several optional things like that.

I think IV and II are the best games in the series but II requires you to play the first game first. IV is a good place to start, just don't forget to download an undub if you want voices (and PSP fonts if playing on PPSSPP). GLIII is pretty good, but GLV is underwhelming. It's not a bad JRPG but it's far below the standard set by the rest of the series.
>>
>>381047657

FFV is actually great. If you're playing it on the PS1 collection, you can actually go into the menu and add a second controller and play coop. Awesome experience doing a full, deep JPRG with a job system with a friend
>>
File: anon in his thread.png (44KB, 766x675px) Image search: [Google]
anon in his thread.png
44KB, 766x675px
>>381065665
>>
favorite-Xenogears
Playing- Ys1
>>
>>381061701
The bee is slowly rising up the my favorites simply because you can ride the bee.
>>
>>381065756
Anon, the amount of passion and love put into this post makes me wanna try one of the games.
>>
>>381047215
Not playing anything at the moment. Looking forward to more Xenoblade and FFXII.
>>
Popped a SNES emulator on my phone, and have been playing a bit of DQ3 and Earthbound on it. It's pretty clear that Earthbound is gonna win my attention overall, but DQ3 is pretty damn good. It's like the stereotypical RPG boiled to it's roots (in a good way).
>>
>>381067496
I hope you've played DQ1
>>
>>381067679
I might get to it eventually just for the historic aspect of it all (which honestly is the main reason I'm playing DQ3), but the clunk is going to be hard as hell to overcome if I don't even give a shit about the later games in the series (seriously the jump between the original DQ3 and the GB/SNES port is one hell of a leap in convenience). Some things actually improve over time.
>>
>>381068386
3 is going to mean a lot less to you if you don't play 1 first.
>>
>>381068442
It's pretty difficult to hear about 3 without the plot spoiler, so that's been spoiled for me far in advance.
>>
>>381068623
Spoilers don't matter, ever. There's a world of difference between being told something and experiencing it.
>>
Is there auto-run mod for FF7?
>>
>>381060534
I want a remake, reboot or anything in the same style made again. I don't understand why there's not a shitton of games like it out there.

This is also a genuinely good remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMW40wxHTk
>>
>>381068787
Yes.
>>
>>381068739
While I wouldn't call this completely true he has a a point. While the shock can really add to it a trully good story can hold its own even if everything spoilered.

When I played Mother 3 I knew the ending and still cried a river when I finally played it.
>>
>>381068825
Is there one for Steam version? I found something from 2007, but it wasn't fully tested.
>>
>>381049935
>Legend of Dragoon

My man Patrician taste right here
>>
>>381069421
Get the Reunion mod, it has a few other stuff inside like a re-translation mod but you don't have to use them if you don't want to.
>>
>>381069653
Speaking of LoD, it's silly how much better it is in Japanese. They nerfed enemy HP and buffed the fuck out of magic when they localized it. Psych Bomb X does like 4x more damage in the Western version than the Japanese. And then there's the script.
>>
>>381060647
>I see it's been translated
It has? Last news I could find was from two years ago.
>>
File: 1472122973276.jpg (191KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472122973276.jpg
191KB, 1000x500px
>started playing fantasy life
>finished main story
>now i have to grind for hours to play the DLC
guess i fucked up with the pacing between chapters
>>
File: 53068387_p0.jpg (288KB, 1142x1075px) Image search: [Google]
53068387_p0.jpg
288KB, 1142x1075px
Playing Medarot 8 right now. Fun as fuck.
>>
>>381073107
Is that the same as medabots?
>>
>>381055027
it has always had a decent sized fanbase in the west. mechanically every game is almost the same, but the story is always radically different and the way you play it is too.

whereas FF devolved into pointless grafix faggotry and reinvent the wheel shange-all-the-mechanics-from-game-to-game, resulting in shit like Lightning, with square insisting we suck tranny cloud's dick forever and ever, and getting butthurt when we FUCK NO FAG that shit.

just look at the list of cool / neat / interesting DQ titles SE flatout said NO CANNOT EVER HAVE to exporting for NO fucking reason whatsoever.

then look at just mainline games. in hand of heavenly bride you aren't even the HERO, ffs, you play generationally to eventually RESULT in the hero existing to beat the bad guy.

then in VII you're FIXING the wrecked world from a previous attempt to save the world from the bad guy that went horribly wrong and shattered everything of into pocket dimensions.

in VI you're fucking around with dark world real world and temporal dislocation.

etc.

very few FF titles have strayed from formulaic JRPG standards
>>
>>381055397

>crap cum execs: Hows that Dragon game coming along?

>Devs: dragons dogma? oh we're a year or two away still, but it's really solid so far and everything is working great atm.

>Crap Cum Execs: Good, release it tomorrow or your fired and we kill all your families!
>>
>>381056110
they're willfully dumb too.

they spend multi millions marketing shit they done been told to FUCK OFF with and get that shit away from us. then throw autistic hissy fit bitch mode tantrums when they don't sell eleventy trillion copies to every person on the planet.

>then when people find out about products they don't even advertise, and ACTUALLY ASK for, they throw another FITHY GAIJIN CANNOT HAVE bitchfit.
>>
>>381047215
I'm playing Tales of Xillia right now. I like the characters and story, but the voice acting is incredibly awful. Especially the main female characters voice does not fit at all.

And there is a lot of grinding (if you go for trophies)
>>
>>381074995

No offense, but every time I hear people calling VA that ranged from passable to good "awful", I wonder how old they are, because I can think of dozens of worse examples.
>>
File: 5-Live_A_Live_00422.png (25KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
5-Live_A_Live_00422.png
25KB, 512x448px
>>381060534
I'm amazed how much varied they packed in one game with Live-A-Live. And I'm not even talking about the obvious stuff like time periods, but how they had mechanical variety. From ability to stealth Ninja's chapter for his best weapon, weakening the final enemy in Sundown Kid's chapter, straight up blue mage gameplay in Wrestler's chapter, etc. It's an outstanding game we'll never see again because it would be too much work with today's technology.

>dat feel when your student finally unleashes the secret technique in the final battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTB-G40E5zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATIJTenY8g
>>
File: 1485939346604.png (271KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485939346604.png
271KB, 800x800px
>ctrl+f Ogre
>1 match, no one responding to them
what the fuck
>>
File: terranigma_end.jpg (862KB, 640x5381px) Image search: [Google]
terranigma_end.jpg
862KB, 640x5381px
>>381061191
>Terranigma

Goddammit, anon.
>>
>>381075297
I just don't like american VAs. They always overact, with very few exceptions. They try to mimick the japanese way and that's horrible. I think it might also be because the animation is not very good, but it just feels very bad to me. American Cartoon VAs in general
>>
>>381075475

There are some really fucking good American VAs, but yeah, most of them don't work in cartoons unless they're Disney or something. You somehow forgot about all the ones who underact though. Still, when I think of my favorite voice actors, a few British ones come to mind immediately.
>>
>>381075710

>yfw ywn watch gargoyles for the first time ever again as a kid

>or star trek tng the animated series as it could also have been called
>>
>>381075710
Yes, but that's exactly the thing. How come movies have such good VAs and games and cartoons fall so short most of the time? My guess is it's because those peope aren't real actors, have never studied it.

In Germany, the people who voice games and Tv series and even cartoons sometimes are all the same people. It does result in some shortage of voices sometimes, but at least they always put in real effort and you know that they have a professional background as actors.
>>
>>381075775

>yfw ywn watch gargoyles for the first time ever again as a kid

Fuck, you reminded me that I still need to buy the DVDs. It's been ages since I've watched the show in full.
>>
File: 208711_screenshot_04_l.jpg (73KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
208711_screenshot_04_l.jpg
73KB, 800x480px
>>381053719
Speaking of which are Bravely games done?
>>
>>381066875
I don't want to oversell the series and end up disappointing people but I can't help but be enthusiastic about the games I love.
>>
File: growlanser.jpg (85KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
growlanser.jpg
85KB, 540x960px
>>381065756
Dude, I love these games. I only own pic related, but I genuinely loved 2 and 3. Embarrassingly enough, I wore the ring necklace that came in this special back all the time until it got damaged to no end.

That aside, it's super unique, and I don't know many games like it off the top of my head.

Reading your post reminds me that I really should play the other Growlanser games sometime.
>>
>>381076393
The ending of bravely second teased a third and bravely second did decently well
>>
>>381070360
It's so dumb how you can just cheese most the bosses by spamming those attack items
>>
>>381060850
How many Growlanser titles never got localized?
>>
>>381075865
Anime and weeb games are non-union. Cartoons and AAA games are union. VAs do actually study acting, whether casually by hiring coaches or as their college major. Also don't forget the power of a director - a good director can bring a middling VA into line, and a poor director will create an environment where emotion is all over the place due to not keeping context in mind.

Apologies. Passionate about this stuff.
>>
>>381077459
2/6; the first and last games

I'm planning on playing GLVI in moonrunes using a script translation. If I have problems due to the language can I ask here for help?

>>381076621
If you liked 2 and 3 you should absolutely play 4.
>>
>>381064491
it was also released on PC, though no one noticed
crapcom should put it on steam
>>
>>381077597
> a good director can bring a middling VA into line, and a poor director will create an environment where emotion is all over the place due to not keeping context in mind.

This. A lot of the times, there's always a VA who could do really good but shitty voice direction messes them up.
>>
>>381077597
> Also don't forget the power of a director - a good director can bring a middling VA into line, and a poor director will create an environment where emotion is all over the place due to not keeping context in mind.
just another reason why dubs will always have bad voice acting
the people in charge of them dont give a shit about how it sounds or what the context is
>>
>>381080979
>Always
There's quite a few dubs that are just as good or better when compared to their japanese counterparts.
>>
>>381081493
no there arent
>>
>>381080979
I don't think you've ever seen a VA or director talk, have you? 90% of these people love and care about their job. They wouldn't do it otherwise, because it pays like crap.

There's actually a massive push at the moment to reduce "anime-style" voice acting, which came about due to having to record on tape and having only so much time and space to do so under limits such as mouth flaps - a restriction which doesn't exist in cartoons since voices are recorded first there. They needed to get the "best" take they could, and make a guess that it'd be the best take - because if they did another take and it was bad, it'd delete the previous, better take. This lead to younger VAs mimicking the older shows, thinking it was stylistic rather than restrictive. As of now, though, the dubbing community recognizes this problem and is fixing it step by step. Habits are hard to break out of, but it's happening. Compare a dub made this year to a dub made 20, 10 years ago. Dubs today are much stronger.
>>
>>381081579
>what is Yu Yu Hakusho
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
>dubs
>>
>>381081834
That's the fault of a writer, not a VA. VA has to perform it regardless.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgmvyHhc6w

Its funny here because the Japanese was fine with the dub even though it was completely rewritten.
>>
>>381059113
If you mean Fast-Forward as in skipping animations, I think that's a great decision for people who want complex choreography but also the option to turn it off once they're tired, nothing wrong with it.
If you mean Autobattle fast forward like SMT, I personally don't like it, if you put such a feature you're basically admitting that combat is boring and brainless and you're giving the player the option to skip it entirely, which isn't good, that's one of the few things about Strange Journey besides the lackluster music that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, because I really like the game were it not for 90% of battles being autobattle material, especially late in the game to the point that most bosses are literal fodder that can be skipped by Autobattle.
>>381060850
The first Growlanser is pretty archaic by today's standard, but I still find it compelling enough to be played, Growlanser II and III are already a big jump in quality and still hold up today, can't tell you anything about 5 or 6 as I haven't played them.
>>381060916
>What game today would allow that?
Last game I played that had what you're looking for is without a doubt SaGa Scarlet Grace, since depending on the MC and decisions you take you might end up killing characters you recruited in another MC's route, or in some cases even other MCs, family members or close friends, Balmaint's scenario is especially focused on you killing other people..
Otherwise, there's Terranigma, as other anons already told you, the PSX Arc the Lad trilogy, Vandal Hearts II, Valkyrie Profile, some Growlanser games and many other titles that would require a pretty fucking long list.
>>
>>381061934
>>381062194
>>381063248
>>381063393
>>381063610
So BoF looks amazing and I've never played them, but I have got the PSP version of 3 and the PSN version of 4. I never hear anything about 1 or 2, are those any good?
>>
>>381083258
2 has a hideous translation, so if you wanna play it, grab the retranslation patch.
>>
>>381083258
1 is an incredibly vanilla rpg with shit exp and gold rates. The GBA version looks worse but it plays way better than the original version. Play the SNES version of 2 with the retranslation patch.
>>
>>381083258
3 and 4 are better
and the games arent connected in any meaningful way so dont worry about missing anything
>>
>>381083258
1 has really nothing noteworthy outside of the graphics, 2 is already much better but still nothing to write home about for most things, it's not a bad game though, just very tedious most of the time because you're locked into the usual character arcs formula which is overall heavily diluted and not interesting at all outside of maybe Sten, Rand and Nina's arcs, there's some pretty fun sidequests along the way though.
>>
Any JRPGs where you get to slay horrific monsters/demons? Turned based or action doesn't matter
>>
>>381084551
Literally all of them.
>>
File: BeforeMech.png (5KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
BeforeMech.png
5KB, 256x240px
>>381058937
>using pussy-ass mages in a man's game
>>
>>381084551
That's a rather generic question.
If you want something more horror based you should try Koudelka though.
>>
>>381084620
>>381085547
How about eldritch abominations?
>>
>finish all caster party in FF Origins normal mode FF1, rough playthrough, but fun
>hmm
>I know the GBA port is easier since it's forced easy mode, but it's been a long time since I've played it, let's see how that party holds up in it
>insane easy mode
>must have hired dobson to handle accuracy because the values are inflated to hell and back, and since you get an extra attack per 32 accuracy you get more attacks than a normal endgame character would by the time you hit midgame
>enemy defense is way, way lower and nonboss HP is unchanged
>encounters consistently dying in one spell
>can spam and virtually never run out
>levels are out of control
What were they thinking? This is like going from FF1 straight to FF6 if FF6 enemies were vaguely threatening instead of jokes.
>>
File: Trails in the Sky penguin rave.jpg (193KB, 682x960px) Image search: [Google]
Trails in the Sky penguin rave.jpg
193KB, 682x960px
Are there any other JRPG series similar to the Trails games? And by that, I mean one long over-arching story/plot taking place over the course of tons of different games set in the same setting and timeframe? There's plenty of JRPG series out there spanning multiple games with one story, but almost all of those stories are told in the span of in-game centuries with timeskips in-between sequels. As far as I know, Trails games are the only JRPG that tells one massive story in one setting in just over the course of a few years over numerous games.

Suikoden's somewhat similar, but less ambitious and only just 5 games while Trails is aiming to stop at around 20ish.

I want more long JRPG epics with 1000s of hours worth of main story desu.
>>
File: 1483205413848.gif (894KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1483205413848.gif
894KB, 300x167px
Currently playing in Bravely Default and really loving it, even the later chapters with endless eight going on for them simply because of additional bits of cute banter between party members or even bosses, like Barras and Holly.
Wonder how well Citra handles the sequel.
>>
>>381085886
As I said, try Koudelka, it's pretty much a classic lovecraftian story with unspeakable horrors from the beyond.
>>381085953
The FF/FFII GBA ports are garbage, just ignore them, Origins is the definitive version of the games, anything after that alters the gameplay too much and adds stupid and unneeded extra content.
>>
Favorites: Probably DQV and P5
Playing: Digital Devil Saga and Tales of Berseria, should be playing Trails 3rd but chapter 6 got me bored for a while.
looking forward to: DQXI and Sen no kiseki III for the time being
>>
>>381086660
Kingdom Hearts but the story is a mess.
>>
File: RetroArch-0508-010643.png (22KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0508-010643.png
22KB, 1333x1000px
>what are your favorites
FF5, SaGa Frontier, Genius of Sappheiros
>>play anything recently
Dragon Quest 6 sfc
>>what are you looking forward to
Romancing SaGa 3 remix

>>381066542
>If you're playing it on the PS1 collection, you can actually go into the menu and add a second controller and play coop.
You can do the same on the original SFC version.

PS1 translation is funnier though.
>>
>>381085953
There's a romhack that amps up the difficult of the gba version.
>>
>>381088791
KH isn't that bad unless you ignored every single game aside from the main numbered entries so you end up missing out a ton of plot.
>>
>>381088939
>Genius of Sappheiros

Oh, a JRPG I never heard about?
>Touhou
Uh, nevermind.
>>
>>381089671
>B-b-but Touhou
Not him but its a fine SaGa lite. Don't let the autistic spectrum of the touhou fanbase dissuade you from some decent games.
>>
>>381089671
It's one of the Tohou's SaGa clones, it's pretty good if you like SaGa games.
>>
>>381089838
Touhou has some pretty damn good fangames but considering the sheer size of the fanbase, its bound to attract some capable people.
>>
>>381047215
>Favorites:
Chrono trigger, Final fantasy 7, 9 and 12, Legend of dragoon, Super Mario rpg, dragon's dogma,

>playing
Dragon's Dogma

>looking forward to
FF12 remake hopefully on PC

>I really want a mix of the the pawn system from Dragon's Dogma and traditional character party members, but Im not sure how...
>>
I wish Dragon Quest was better.

Fucking Japanese and their sensibilities.
>>
>>381082953
>If you mean Autobattle fast forward like SMT, I personally don't like it, if you put such a feature you're basically admitting that combat is boring and brainless and you're giving the player the option to skip it entirely

I mean, it's there to effortlessly clean up what's left after you've secured your victory. If you keep it on you're going to die pretty fucking fast.
>>
File: 0079.png (387KB, 896x608px) Image search: [Google]
0079.png
387KB, 896x608px
>>381089671
Touhou or not, it's a game that expects you to familiarize yourself with lots of elaborate game mechanics and I like that.
>>
File: Saga Frontier Tohou.webm (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Saga Frontier Tohou.webm
1MB, 500x500px
>>381090082
The point is that Tohou is basically a cultural movement in Japan and most of its active core fanbase is made up of hardcore otaku, it's no wonder the most successful doujin games mimic japanese hardcore series like SaGa, SRW or Shiren, and do it fairly well, they're made by people who play shittons of games and have both the knowledge and passion to make some pretty good clones with a Tohou flavour.
>>
>>381091254
Its true that there's a lot of really capable people in the fanbase, but as far as the west is concerned, most people only ever see the cancerous part of it.
>>
>>381091254
I've went through all routes in SaGa Frontier, but I never learned Life Sprinkler with any character.
>>
>>381047215
>what are your favorites
Phantasy Star Online ep 1&2
>playing any
FFX remaster. Never played the original. This is the best worst dub ever
SMT Deep Strange Journey and EOV. Waiting eagerly for more info on that SMT game on switch.
>what do you want to see more of in the future
More games like PSO. I've been looking for something to fill the void that game left in my heart tirelessly, but to no avail.
>>
File: ULUS10263_00000.jpg (309KB, 1440x816px) Image search: [Google]
ULUS10263_00000.jpg
309KB, 1440x816px
im gonna beat every main final fantasy game this summer, already beat 13, 1 and 3, currently playing 2, the leveling sucks.
>>
>>381092196
Protip in 2, grinding makes things worse for you. Just equip everyone with shields and just play the game like a normal rpg. Enemies have inbuilt ranks that make it increasingly harder to level up stats/skills as you get stronger.
>>
>>381091580
>but as far as the west is concerned, most people only ever see the cancerous part of it.
That's too bad for them I guess, but you can't really worry about millions of retards who won't get out of their comfort zone.
>>381091801
Gen and Emilia can get it very easily, just go to some tough bastard like the Earth Dragon and you can get it fairly quick.
>>
>>381092196
Is Ricard the Batman? Are all Dragoons Batman?
>>
File: gs2hack_20.png (9KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
gs2hack_20.png
9KB, 240x160px
I really love this series but the amount of wasted potential in it is insane. The third game didn't help either.
>>
File: Freya.jpg (68KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Freya.jpg
68KB, 600x600px
>>381092605
Not all, though she can certainly scowl like him
>>
>>381092984
Nah, it's bad. Looked pretty on the GBA though, that's why I bought it.

Play Mario Tennis for the GBC if you haven't already, same devs and by god does it show.
>>
>>381093082
It had the potential to be something great. A nice setting and a really fun and unique variation of a class system. It was just way too easy for its own good and it desperately needed a better writer.

Mediocre would be a better way to put it.
>>
>>381093054
Not a Dragoon, dresses like a Red Mage, has abilities like a Green Mage.
>>
File: golden-age-phantasy-star.png (9KB, 530x251px) Image search: [Google]
golden-age-phantasy-star.png
9KB, 530x251px
>>
>>381093443
How is she not a dragoon when she uses a dragoon's signature weapon, has the dragoon's signature move, multiple skills directly referencing dragons including one that grows stronger as she kills more dragons, and one of her weapons references Kain directly?
>>
>>381093784
She's a rat
>>
File: Bangaa Dragoon.jpg (42KB, 475x536px) Image search: [Google]
Bangaa Dragoon.jpg
42KB, 475x536px
>>381093876
And this is a lizard, I fail to see the point
>>
>>381094012
The point is rats and lizards can't be Dragoons
>>
>>381047215
Looking forward to this rpg that's finally bringing back jobs.

https://youtu.be/Wr59M17RxNE
>>
File: Ricard Highwind.jpg (89KB, 653x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ricard Highwind.jpg
89KB, 653x1000px
>>381094489
Well that's a pity.
She would certainly be the best one if she was allowed to. Not that she has much viable competition in the field other than Ricard.
>>
>>381095187
Jobs never really left the genre though, they're just not as common as before.
>>
>>381095187
Looks atrociously generic.
And it's full of class based games like EO, BD and whatever else, so I don't really get this claim of bringing back something that never left in the first place.
>>
Finished dragon quest 7 last night.
It was fun.
I liked that final segment, but it was a chore more than anything.
Thread posts: 295
Thread images: 89

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.