[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everybody always seems to get hung up on hardware but I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1519.jpg (114KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1519.jpg
114KB, 800x598px
Everybody always seems to get hung up on hardware but I've always been more interested in software.

Can someone explain the differences in the operating systems for the PS4, Xbone, and WiiU/Switch? Is one objectively better/more efficient than the others?
>>
>>>/g/
We only talk about vidya here, m8.
>>
File: 1496288837126.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1496288837126.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>380969531
I thought this was a polite redirect saying /g/ talks about vidya at first.

>actually, LITERALLY **IMPLYING** that /v/ only talks about vidya
>>
PS4 runs a UNIX variant, Xbone basically runs Windows 10, and Nintendo makes their own OS from scratch I think.
>>
>>380969378
Playstation 4 runs a customized FreeBSD kernel with their custom "Orbis" OS. Microsoft uses a customized version of Windows 10 (even if they probably say "it's literally Windows 10!"). Nintendo also uses a customized FreeBSD kernel in the Switch and uses a custom OS.

The Wii U used a home made OS named after coffee, the Wii used another home made OS named iOS. The PS3's software is completely custom home made. Xbox 360 was probably a home made version of Windows (it's Microsoft's biggest product after all).
>>
The idea that Sony made their own graphics API is kind of cool. That seems like the most difficult part of developing a video game OS.
>>
>>380970425
The one in the PS3 named the RSX chip was co-developed with NVIDIA. The current one in the PS4 is developed by AMD.

They don't really create anything more than what Nintendo or Microsoft does.
>>
>>380969378
You could say it's mostly irrelevant. PC is more bloated and is slower, but then it's well optimized, while consoles have lightweight but unoptimized OSes. Though it would appear PCs still have the upper hand in general.
>>
>>380969678
nobody makes their own OS from scratch you idiot

it's likely unix or freebsd based
>>
>>380969378
Neeeeeeeeeerd
>>
>>380969378
Unfortunately program licenses are allowed to completely forbid reverse engineering, so it's not legal to seriously research things like that.
>>
>>380969378
>Is one objectively better/more efficient than the others?

Not really. The only difference is Linux/Windows/BSD
>>
>>380972380
shut the fuck up about things you don't understand
>>
>>380970829
>implying that Nintendo didn't hire the TempleOS guy to make the Nintendo Switch the closest console to God
>>
>>380973124
what?
>>
>>380970829
What about nintendo?
>>
>>380970829
No, nintendo does.
the switch uses bsd sockets but otherwise is based on the 3ds OS
>>
>>380970226
>The PS3's software is completely custom home made.
When you go to the about system info in the PS3 it says it runs some BSD variant in it's licensing information just like the PS4
>>
>>380969378
It's not gonna be Linux, GPL basically means that the whole system would have to be open source.
>>
>>380973412
That doesn't actually mean anything, it just means it took some code for whatever reason.
The switch also claims to run BSD, and that is a lie.
>>
>>380973538
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software
Literally says it's BSD
>>
>>380973538
>The switch also claims to run BSD, and that is a lie.

proofs?
>>
>>380973776
It's really easy to hack.
>>
>>380973538
>The switch also claims to run BSD, and that is a lie.
https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/837481011508195329

If you don't know who marcan is you clearly haven't been in the scene for long.
>>
>>380974054
Yes, I know that marcan initially thought that. that was very early, and all he did was look at the list of licensing information.
But among people who actually worked with it, all say that it's based on the 3ds os:
https://twitter.com/qlutoo/status/838666432774692864
https://twitter.com/ylws8/status/838777665498853376
etc.
The only part from BSD seems to be this: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Sockets_services
>>
>>380973521
>It's not gonna be Linux, GPL basically means that the whole system would have to be open source.

This. That's the reason why a lot of custom hardware runs FreeBSD instead.
It's almost the same thing, is a little bit worse (much smaller user base), but its license allows you to keep your own version and its code to yourself.
>>
>>380973124

/v/ is so boring with it's completely overly exaggerated responses. I know they do it to mock tumblr but man, seeing it all the time is boring as fuck now. It literally destroys any desire to hold conversations on /v/. Reminds me of that guy in the group of friends who does nothing but insult people and everything he says is an attempt at a shitty one-liner to try to make everyone else laugh
>>
File: 69634638.jpg (97KB, 1000x381px) Image search: [Google]
69634638.jpg
97KB, 1000x381px
>>380974631
>Reminds me of that guy in the group of friends who does nothing but insult people and everything he says is an attempt at a shitty one-liner to try to make everyone else laugh
>>
I remember a post once with someone saying that the Wii's software signature was really tiny and didn't hinder the currently-running games at all, but the WiiU software was bloat.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.