[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>graphics doesn't matter, gameplay matters! Please don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: 1484874626593.jpg (237KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484874626593.jpg
237KB, 1400x800px
>graphics doesn't matter, gameplay matters!

Please don't tell me you actually believe this.
>>
Graphics don't matter, aesthetic does.
>>
>>380931940
Consistency matters, readability matters, not how close to real life it looks like.
>>
File: sad lay ocean.jpg (42KB, 495x636px) Image search: [Google]
sad lay ocean.jpg
42KB, 495x636px
Remember when /v/ made fun of and belittled graphics whores?
>>
>>380932309
best post ive seen all year
>>
Gameplay > Sound > Story > Graphics
>>
Games should have both. It doesn't matter how good a game looks if the gameplay is shit and it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is if the artstyle is trash.
>>
>>380932239
dis
>>
A game with bad graphics can still be fun if it has 10/10 gameplay.
A game with good graphics will still be boring if it has dull gameplay.
>>
File: fun is just a buzzword.jpg (206KB, 940x1020px) Image search: [Google]
fun is just a buzzword.jpg
206KB, 940x1020px
>>380932373
Remember when pic related was a source of laughter?
Nowadays people actually believe this en masse.
>>
>console game
>"haha look at those shitty graphics how the fuck can people play consoles PC WINS AGAIN!"
>indie pc title no. 33384
>"gameplay is all that matters people who demand passable graphics are underaged redditors PC WINS AGAIN!"
>>
>>380931940
They both matter.
>>
>>380932562
Well he's right. If you can't explain why you think something is fun then it's probably shit and you'd enjoy another game much better.
>>
>>380931940
Gameplay is the key ingredient for what makes a good game. The problem with most modern games is that they mostly focus on graphics and storytelling, which sacrifices gameplay and leaves for a boring experience. Sure pic related looks nice and has deep storytelling, take those away it's literally paying $60 to play a movie.
>>
>>380932562
He's right though... "fun" isn't specific enough. Don't know why everyone would sperg out over that opinion.
>>
>>380931940
Good graphics with shit gameplay is a shit game no matter what.
Good gameplay with shit graphics is still a good game.
>>
>>380932562
I understand where he's getting at. Fun is more of an umbrella term. There are multiple reasons as to why something is fun, so it's better to list those rather than just say it's fun. You can say it's fun or that it has good level design, great combat, tight controls, etc.
>>
>>380932562
>Anon casts Summon Contrarians
>>
>>380931940
>Video GAME
>GAME doesn't matter
What did he mean by this?
>>
Graphics are such a vague term that it's easy to interpret it in multiple ways such as art style, resolution, texture quality, how many polygons are on the screen, etc.

Basically what >>380932309 said is what matters and what I assume people intend to mean when they say "graphics don't matter"
>>
>>380933064
strawman, dismissed
>>
>>380931940
Aesthetics matter, graphical fidelity only matters to a point where it can properly portray the gameplay.
>>
Absolutely true, realism fags are the cancer killing videogames.
>>
File: adv_camp_2.png (38KB, 880x600px) Image search: [Google]
adv_camp_2.png
38KB, 880x600px
>>380931940
Yes I do.
>>
Graphics may not 100% make a game but this is no reason to be a lazy shitter when it comes to it in regards to 3D games.
Nintendo games are a prime example of this.
>>
>>380933118
Not an argument
>>
>>380933318
Not an argument is not an argument
>>
>>380933258
Nintedo are never a good example because they could put out a literal turd and people would praise its gameplay.
>>
>>380933391
Not an argument is not an argument is not an argument.
>>
>>380932993
I regret posting it now
>>
>>380933318
my argument is that >>380933064 is a strawman, it does not accurately describe the point OP was getting across. A simpleton could understand that OP is saying graphics are still an important part of a game. OP did not say that the game doesn't matter. If you believe he did, you are delusional. Enjoy your (you), it will be the last one you receive from me.
>>
>>380933246
>Tfw too stupid to play dwarf fortress
>>
>>380933246
It's somehow less ugly than whatever that abomination in OP's pic is. It's weird how it works.
>>
>>380933720
check out rimworld, it's like Dwarf Fortress for less smart people
>>
>>380933658
So nigger, where do you draw the line with how important graphics are? Are you one of those faggots that refuses to play older games because MUH MODERN GRAFIX ARE SO MUCH BETTER
>>
File: tf arena ravine.jpg (350KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tf arena ravine.jpg
350KB, 1600x1200px
>>380931940
>>380932239

Graphics don't matter above gameplay. It is nice if a game has good graphics but it doesn't have to.

But what >>380932309 said is correct. Take for example Team Fortress 2. Doesn't look like real life but still looks good and it's easy to see what team/class your enemy is.

Framerate is a separate issue because it makes a game play like shit.
>>380932562
I was actually in that thread at the time. I used to disagree but I agree now. Fun isn't an argument for why a game is good, it's just a result of a game being good.
>>
>>380931940
I believe it, unfortunately most vidya with a shity indie style has neither.
>>
>>380932239
Fucking this. I don't get how people can't understand this. Just take a look at some older games. Most of 3D games from ps1 and ps2 era were considered to have better graphics than 2D ones, but the 2D ones aged better and still look nice.
>>
>>380933630
Is there anywhere other than /v/ to talk about video games now? This whole site is so fucking shit. Reddit is even worse. I barely browse anymore and it kills me. I miss having actual conversations.
>>
>>380934027
>a good video game does not need good video
ok retard. A book does not need to be written well as long as it has good bookread.
>>
>>380934612
/vr/ is nice since it has an older userbase (at least it seems from the maturity of the posts compared to /v/) but it's slower and you can only talk about retro games there. Which isn't exactly a bad thing, it keeps the board from getting flooded with underage shitters. Older games are better anyway.
>>
>>380934747
A book doesn't need to the hard cover deluxe limited edition with pretty pictures and pink pages, the cheap pocket version is fine if the writing is readable.
>>
>>380934747
really desperate for replies tonight aren't we?
>>
>>380932562
That guy sounds like that neogaf post in the reggie thread atm.
>>
>>380934979
>book cover = graphics and not just game case
Great analogy(except not because it sucked ass and you're an idiot)
>>
>>380931940
I literally recognize what place this is, that's an old mandorian fort right? I used to raid that place constantly.
>>
>>380935096
>I can only read books with pretty pictures!
>>
>>380931940
>gameplay doesn't matter
>graphics does
Please don't tell me you actually believe good graphics don't come at the cost of losing good gameplay when you have a finite amount of resources to invest with
>>
>>380934747
>good bookread.
Made me laugh, but what you're arguing is more like valuing the font choice in a book over the quality of the writing.
>>
>>380935190
>VIDEO game
>"video is irrelevant"
>>
>>380935096
It was your analogy to start with man
>>
>>380935458
Literally no one is saying this. learn to read.
>>
>>380932309
Definitely this. You know why TF2 still looks way fucking better than Overwatch, which came out 9 years later? Because when you play TF2 you can actually see and understand what's going on at a glance, even with all the stupid hats and shit that have piled up over the near decade.
>>
>>380935580
People think TF2 looks better than OW? That's news to me
>>
>>380935575
If graphics are not required for a game to be considered good then that means it's irrelevant.
>>
>>380935886
I know you're "merely pretending" to be retarded but I'm going to respond anyway because it keeps my mind off other shit.

The person you responded to said FIRST THING that "Graphics don't matter ABOVE gameplay." That implies they still matter. Which means they would be relevant.
Bait better or accept defeat.
>>
>>380931940
t. someone who hasn't played Dominions 4, ToME, Elona+, Dorf fort, SS13, etc.
>>
>>380934584
Because you morons can't admit that certain aesthetics require technology not available before, hell even cuphead was literally impossible before.
>>
Neither graphics nor aesthetics matter at all, unless their improvement benefits gameplay. But we're at a point when it doesn't anymore in general.
>>
>>380936373
Before when exactly? I'm pretty sure it was doable on PC since a long time already.
>>
>>380936373
But I'm not claiming that. It's pretty obvious that better technology allows more options regarding aesthetics.

It's just that it's foolish to assume that a game looks shitty because its graphics are simple and doesn't use all that current technology has to offer.
>>
>>380936373
From a technical standpoint, SF4 is more impressive than SF3. But, I like the art style/aesthetic of SF3 more than SF4. I think that's the point he's trying to get across.
>>
Gameplay not only matters it's the only thing that matters.
>>
>>380931940

what game is this? looks cool
>>
>>380935886

You're baiting, but just in case you are slightly serious.

Gameplay has a vague meaning, but you could probably say that if most people were playing a fighting game and the animation didn't coincide with the actual hit people would say the game has bad gameplay because your inputs aren't easily readable in the game's audio/visual outputs. I'd say video and audio is relevant to gameplay, but when most people argue about the importance of graphics, they're saying graphics as they may not relate to the core gameplay, a superfluous interest in graphics. There is a hypothetical game that has just what it needs to play well and look good, and then there are games that sacrifice playing well for looking good, and often they even fuck that up on consoles because low frame rates don't look good.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.