[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a video game with a similar style to Darkest Dungeon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (150KB, 540x398px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
150KB, 540x398px
Making a video game with a similar style to Darkest Dungeon and I need your guys thoughts:

> Image Darkest Dungeon
> 1 member in a party, not 4
> Set in a crusade, knights going from the left of the map to the right, killing anything wielding magic
> The player can 'give in' to magic, not going to reveal this too much as I'm writing a story

Here's where I need some thoughts: I am making this moddable from the very beginning, however I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

I can allow players to script and animate custom 'abilities', but with this being a 2D game, the character will have to be set in stone so that artists can use my characterlist and animate abilities.

OR I can allow the creating and implementing of custom items and characters, that have their own sprites etc. This means that only a handful of base characters are made, but modders can make cool equipment and new player chars all together (NPCs will always be customisable, already implemented)

The thing is, if people can create new abilities and animate them, they cannot animate characters created by someone else without knowing it. I'm no artist, so I have no idea if there's a way around this with software, but for now I'm just using spritesheets etc and planning on overlaying armour over the top.

Is custom spellmaking (as mods, spellmaking is already in the game, as in, you mod in 'components' and join them together to make abilities and spells, modding just creates new components to add to the pallette) more important than customisation? From a gameplay perspective, I think this is appropriate, but I'm trying to step away from classes, which creates the problem of just having base characters and items set in stone from the get go.

Sorry for the long post. Pic unrelated, not showing the game off yet, hope you understand
>>
If the objective or concept is vague to you, then I'm sorry, but I don't want to reveal too many mechanics I have in the game until I have gameplay to show!
>>
>>380915753
Just a little tip, always write everything out, the more you actually have to show someone the more likely someone would be interested in the game. Don't worry about people stealing your ideas or whatever, ideas are cheap, the work you put into detailing how the game works is what shows people your potential.
>>
>>380916232
Thanks for the tip. I'm a student gamesdev, and I'm going to be working on this until I graduate in another 3 years. There isn't much gameplay yet as the game itself as its all prototypes etc. I will definitely come back when I have something I'm happy with!

Its only that this is quite important, I can't finish the combat system without knowing whether or not its moddable, likewse I can''t finalise rendering the entire player without knowing whether to show equipment. I figured that at this stage, it'd be better to be a little secretive than show shit

But I agree, I probably should prepare something next time I post to /v/
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.