[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I start with the Metroid series? Is it like mario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

Where can I start with the Metroid series?

Is it like mario where story doesn't mean shit most of the time?
>>
yes anon, metroid is just like mario.
>>
story matters somewhat.
it matters more to the prime games than the 2d games, but you should still experience them in chronological order
Don't worry about overlap between 2D and Prime
Zero Mission > AM2R > Super > Fusion
Prime > Prime 2 > Prime 3
>>
>>380899490
the same rule as applies to any other series: play in release order, although probably skipping over 1 and 2
>>
File: 1496819924077.png (191KB, 467x458px) Image search: [Google]
1496819924077.png
191KB, 467x458px
The 4 2d metroid games follow a light narrative. I playrd fusion first because i heard it was the easiest. Prime is kind of its own thing.

Id say start with zero mission because its a remake of the first game and a great starting point mechanically as well as storywise. Where you go from there is up to you. Metroid 2 is held back a lot by the gameboy's hardware, but somebody masterfully remade it. Look up AM2R.

Super metroid is 3rd chronolgically and the magnum opus of the series. Fusion is linear and spooky and tends to be a bit "love it or hate it" amongst the fans.

Please play them though dude, theyre videogames at their finest.
>>
>>380900093
Bad advice.

Go ZM > Prime series > (AM2R or SR when that is out) > Super > Fusion
>>
>>380899765
Surprised no one is jumping down your throat like a monkey on crack for not playing every single game in order of release.

I agree with you recommendation though.
>>
>>380900876
Metroid fans have generally come to the conclusion that 1 and 2 were a little bit shit.

I still enjoy them both but I think someone like OP might struggle.
>>
Where can I get a copy of zero mission for gba? They're all like $40-50 online.
>>
>>380900789
Don't forget other m between super and fusion!
>>
>>380901391
just buy a flashcard senpai
>>
>>380901391
Flashcard or if you mod your 3DS you can emulate it
>>
>>380899490
Play em in release order. And remember the Prime series isn't Canon
>>
>>380899490
Only play the Prime and maybe Super if you really liked the atmosphere of the Prime games.
The main series is rather dull.
>>
>>380901860
gay

>>380901980
gayer
>>
>>380899490
>Super Metroid is from 1991
>I can't even code AABB with slopes from scratch
Should I kys?
>>
>>380899490
Don't make my mistake and start randomly like I did.

Start with Zero Mission and follow the history's chronological order.
You can also play Prime at the same time, it's its own chapter.
Also Prime 3 > Prime for us without nostalgia goggles
>>
Story only really matters in Prim and you can piece it together through optional scans.
Either way, start with Super Metroid, then play Zero Mission.
>>
>>380901391
Virtual Console at sale right now in case you care.
>>
>>380899490
>For the 2d games
Zero Mission first
Wait for Metroid 2 remake to come out & then play
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

>For the 3d Metroid games
Prime 1
Prime 2
Prime 3
Hunters if you want
Ignore Other M and Federation Force and pretend that they don't exist
>>
File: so you want to play metroid2.png (2MB, 1563x3500px) Image search: [Google]
so you want to play metroid2.png
2MB, 1563x3500px
>>380899490
>>
>>380900876
1 and 2 are fun in their own right but aged poorly. That's why no one is mad that Nintendo is making a remake of 2; it's the only one that desperately needs one.
>>
>>380899765
Fan games should always be played after playing most of the games in the series. They should never be treated as legitimate entries in the series because it gives the wrong impression.

If you want to experience Metroid II's story, play either the original or wait for Samus Returns. Play AM2R afterwards.
>>
>>380902672

AM2R is no different from ZM besides not being an official property.

Either tell people to play the originals, or tell people to play the remakes. The differences are the same in either case.
>>
>>380902578
This should be updated. There are spelling errors and some of the text reads like an ad, which could be a big turn off.
>>
>>380899490
I believe that everyone should play Metroid Prime. I think it's that good.
>>
File: 61360650_p0.jpg (133KB, 462x527px) Image search: [Google]
61360650_p0.jpg
133KB, 462x527px
>>380902578
>first Metroid
>skip it
Such a good guide.
>>
>>380902990
Plus it needs to add Federation Force to the "Avoid" category.
>>
File: ultimate comfy.jpg (384KB, 1498x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate comfy.jpg
384KB, 1498x1200px
I just started playing Metroid II for GameBoy.

I absolutely love playing GB games with their old monochrome screen and calculator graphics, and this is exactly what I expected.

It must be only me but this retro shit is comfier than Prime
>>
There's two definitive titles you need to play:

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime.

One is 2D, the other is 3D. If you like those then feel free to play the other titles. I would recommend you avoid the original NES, it's technically a classic but it's very archaic and will probably frustrate new players. Zero Mission is a more friendly remake of the original anyway.
>>
>>380903252
Zero Mission is objectively superior in every conceivable way. Why play an inferior game?
>>
>>380903418

it's not objectively superior, it's actually quite fundamentally different.

Metroid I is the only Metroid game where you're simply trapped in a maze and forced to find the way out without any guidance. If you're autistic and that's your shit, then Metroid I is the only game that will scratch that itch.
>>
>>380903395
This.
>>
>>380903418
>BAWWWWW! I CANT PLAY METROID WITHOUT A MAP!
>>
>>380903736
>implying the map is the only improvement
>>
Metroid's story is 4D Chess. Look at the Sylux thread for Pete's sake.
>>
>>380903591
>if you have a very specific and autistic preference
The guide is for newbies and casuals to integrate them into the series, not scare them off with a deeply flawed and primitive game. It's in the optional category (and not the avoid category like you originally implied) for a reason. Just play Zero Mission.
>>
>>380903995

I agree with that, yeah. I'm not >>380903252 for clarity's sake.
>>
>>380903252
>in the optional category
>skip it
Do you have reading comprehension problems? It's in "optional" not "avoid."
>>
File: 1451361188636.gif (7KB, 118x98px) Image search: [Google]
1451361188636.gif
7KB, 118x98px
>People saying Metroid ''didn't age well''
It was flawed to begin with. Those flaws are exactly as frustrating now as they were then. Fucking nothing has changed about the game.
I've beaten the game without a guide at least twice and I personally enjoyed it. It's a classic for sure and it's worth at least dipping your toes into, but it's not a very good game. I'd hesitate to call it a good game at all. There is a lot of laziness to the level design, the controls are slippery, the difficulty balance is out of wack, items are hidden in way, way too obscure locations and every room looks just about the same.
The point is that you're supposed to explore and get lost, but you're also supposed to be able to find your way around the place and actually make progress. Metroid makes it very hard to do that when everything has the same tileset and layout and obligatory items are hidden behind absolute bullshit secret paths. Bombing and shooting every wall and floor is not a sign of good game design.
>>
>>380905186
it's very easy to know where you're going, the map is fucking tiny

the only thing that makes it difficult is the fact that everything looks the same and, often, is literally copypasted
>>
Metroid 1, 2, Super, and Fusion basically have their own story
The Prime series basically has its own story
Other M basically has its own story, but sort of is a prequel to Fusion.
I would recommend playing the 1-Fusion seperate from the Prime series.
>>
>>380905186
Isn't that what made Prime such great games?
The scanning mechanic is a way to integrate exploration as an active part of gameplay and not relying on random luck
>>
>>380905186
The thing that really didn't work for me is that you always start with 30 energy no matter what, which is a 1 hit death in most parts of the game. The game also has weird difficulty progression, where it seems to actually get easier toward the end of the game instead of the beginning, instead of
Oh, and finding Kraid's lair was a little bullshit.
>>
>>380906490

Isn't there a patch which fixes that?
>>
>>380899490
Federation Force, baby.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.