[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never played a Metroid game. What are the good ones?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: Samus.jpg (46KB, 496x370px) Image search: [Google]
Samus.jpg
46KB, 496x370px
I've never played a Metroid game. What are the good ones? Is the order important? I'd like to put a list together to play before September when the 3DS game comes out.
>>
File: so you want to play metroid2.png (2MB, 1563x3500px) Image search: [Google]
so you want to play metroid2.png
2MB, 1563x3500px
Zero Mission is probably the best starting point. Super Metroid is my personal favorite game of all time so absolutely play that one as well. Avoid Other M at all costs.
>>
>>380892264
Wow thanks. I haven't seen that image before. I actually have a real copy of Other M I got just because it was a $5 Nintendo game. I never opened it.
>>
>>380891982

>Not Other M
>Not FedForce

That's all you need to know. The original doesn't hold up all that well so you may want to skip it in favor of Zero Mission.
>>
File: 1360042466890.jpg (2MB, 3000x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1360042466890.jpg
2MB, 3000x1076px
>>380891982
Other M should be avoided. Metroid and Metroid II both have official or unofficial remakes. Hunters is up to taste, but the game was quite limited by the hardware.
Outside of those, the games are all good. Be aware that the Prime games play quite differently than the others.

>>380892264
Seconding Zero Mission as a good entry point. It's a remake of the first game.
>>
>>380892547
Zero Mission
Super
Fusion
Prime 1
Prime 2
Prime 3
Hunters?

I'm gonna wait until after the official Metroid 2 remake before I play the fan one.
>>
Start with Zero Mission, then play Super Metroid, then play Fusion. All of them can be emulated really easily on relatively weak PCs so you have no excuse to not play them.

If you have a Wii/Wii U then definitely play the Prime Trilogy. The first two games were originally Gamecube games but the Wii controls are superior.

I'd say the original Metroid and Metroid II are also worth giving a try, although they are a bit dated and that does put some people off.

Hunters and Federation Force are mediocre. Other M is mediocre with a god-awful story. If you have nothing better to do with your time then feel free to give them a try, but don't expect much.
>>
File: 1370065147597.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1370065147597.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>380892760
That seems like a good order to play the series in. Chronologically, the Prime games occur between ZM and Super in that that list, but that isn't really important.
>>
>>380892760
I'd suggest playing the original Metroid 2 before either remake, so that you can really appreciate the improvements they add, but it's up to you.
>>
File: samus_no map.jpg (103KB, 809x988px) Image search: [Google]
samus_no map.jpg
103KB, 809x988px
>>380891982

Play them all in the order they were released. If you don't like Metroid on NES, then you can play Zero Mission instead, since it is a remake of that game.

Yes, you should also play Other M. At worst, it will make you appreciate the other games more.
>>
>>380892760
>>380892264
>mfw bought Metroid Prime Hunters on release
>loved mutliplayer, which was legit good
>then everyone started finding glitches (especially fucking Shadow Freeze glitch)
>then the hackers came
Fuck. Ruined the only good multiplayer shooter I've heard of on the 3ds. Also wish they'd do something with all the ideas and races presented in the game. A "Samus vs Other Hunters" game would be great as it was probably my favourite aspect of MP3.

The rock golem dude in Hunters was my favourite by far even though he got shit on hard by most of the rest of the cast.
>>
I'd recommend the original metroid 2 over the remake. I don't know why but I just didn't like the remake too much and besides, you can easily beat it in one sitting so it's not like it's a big deal if it has dated graphics.
>>
>>380891982
none, they are all sjw trash
>>
>>380891982
god damn lurk more faggot theres been constant WHAT METROID GAMES SHUD I PLAY threads
>>
>>380892760
>I'm gonna wait until after the official Metroid 2 remake before I play the fan one.

That's a good idea. You might even want to give the original a try if you don't mind a dated, somewhat archaic game. It's probably the spookiest Metroid game.
>>
>>380893073
>>380893379
I might try it. I don't mind the graphics but the small play area of those gameboy games used to upset me as a kid. Donkey Kong Land was the worst.
>>
Super, Zero Mission, and the Prime Trilogy are all that's worth playing. Anyone who says anything else is a paste-eating retard. You see someone who says they like Fusion or Other M, you ask them if they got separated from their supervisor. Give them a lollipop if you need to calm them down from their tantrums.
>>
I think Other M is worth playing. I just started playing it for the first time due to all the Metroid hype going around (since it was the only one I never played). Finished it already, it's not that long. I went into it with the lowest expectations possible and safely knowing that the Metroid series was finally going to continue.

It reminds me of Metroid Fusion with a mix of Ninja Gaiden (minus the challenge of NG). I knew the story was cheesy as I've seen the memes for years. What actually bothered me most was actually the music (or lack thereof). It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
>>
>>380892760

If you're emulating, there are a few small romhacks that add modern sensibilities into Super Metroid.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/477/
>>
>>380893574

>Metroid II
>a dated, somewhat archaic game.
All it lacks is a map. Which you'd think Metroid fans would prefer because it makes it feel more 'isolated'. Otherwise, its a gameboy game that plays like a Super Nintendo game. Not unlike Mario Land 2.
>>
>>380893659

>doesn't think Fusion is worthwhile but somehow thinks Prime 2 and 3 are
>>
>>380894272

Also the colors and the limited Game Boy screen size means that you take up a WAY larger chunk of the screen than you would in the NES game.

There's really nothing wrong with it mechanically, it's just that it's got a lot of restrictions imposed by the Game Boy.
>>
>>380894097
I played it for the first time last year and I was surprised I didnt hate it.
Didnt like the story or how linear it is but I guess Im an absolute sucker for space stations
>>
>>380894802

yes, but the smaller area to see also adds to the 'scary' atmosphere. I'm not going to claim the game doesn't need a remake. But just saying that unlike some other games, you can get used to it. It's still amazing they were able to produce such good graphics on the Game Boy.

More importantly, its still perfectly playable, unlike what a bunch of people claim.
>>
>>380895226

Sure, but the guy your were originally replying to didn't say it was unplayable garbage, just dated and somewhat archaic, which is accurate.

The original NES Metroid is also a bit archaic- doesn't mean either are bad by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>380894802
The Super Gameboy II has a premade Metroid II palette.
>>
>>380894272
The worst part about Metroid II is that enemies don't drop health and missile pick-ups. Or if they do it's maddeningly infrequent.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.