[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not going to lie, this is my first Tekken game and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 81HNE-_Y6WL._SL1500_(4).jpg (347KB, 1204x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81HNE-_Y6WL._SL1500_(4).jpg
347KB, 1204x1500px
I'm not going to lie, this is my first Tekken game and I'm completely baffled by the combo system. Each character has like a hundred different combos, where the fuck do I start?
>>
Ask Aris.
>>
A lot of strings are useless or highly situational so you don't need to worry about them.
Just look up some combos and pokes from the internet and spend your time learning the movement and positioning.
>>
>>380866426
No, they have a hundred different moves which is more like 80 different moves with a few that can be extended or done a different way so the actual amount of moves is inflated. At the very least you want to familiarize yourself with the moves.

But you really only need to learn like 2-3 actual combos and know when to bust them out.
>>
>>380866426
Pick one and just start. It is a game where as you identified, every character has A LOT of moves and all of those moves have different ways of being dealt with. It takes a long time to get good at Tekken because you need to learn all these moves and all the ways to counter them. Just jump in, you have to start with someone. I suggest not picking a weird character like Kuma as characters with odd body proportions or stances can some times work completely differently than other characters when it comes to getting hit, dodging, etc.
>>
>>380866609
>A lot of strings are useless or highly situational so you don't need to worry about them.

Then why have them?
>>
What will usually define how important a combo is, is the starter

Basically, playing a game you get a feel of what moves are important for opening up your opponent, wether it is by whiff punishing them or by mixing them up. Those moves are the ones that will most of the time give you an opportunity for damage, so you should prioritize learning combos that start with these moves, so right off the bat you have a decent source of reliable damage

As you progress you'll learn to use your more situational moves to punish some specific things, and at that point you'll have to learn to capitalize on those moves, but that's later

For now focus on finding your bread and butter strats and learn combos that go into these strats. You'll expand your repertoire naturally as you learn

Never waste time learning a combo you don't even know how to land.
>>
>>380866760

They are situational, they fit few situations but for those situations they are good.
>>
Watch at 7:30

https://youtu.be/ralpWfTaL-A?t=7m30s
>>
learn something universal that works off most launchers and focus on doing it properly
>>
>>380866760
A lot of strings aren't good by themselves (most of them aren't even real combos outside of being used as counter hits), but you can use them as combo fodder for example.
10 hit combos are worthless and not real combos, so don't go trying to learn those.
Learn what your launchers are and do what >>380867426 said, but know that on a real match movement, knowing when to use a single hit low or how to punish properly is more important than being able to do a sick combo on training mode, because if your opponent knows his shit about movement and mixing shit up you'll probably lose regardless of hitting it.
>>
I'm a new player too. Here are my tips to you after having getting seriously addicted for 60+ hours and still going.

Don't worry about movelists, it seems daunting but you should go through and check out all the moves just so you've seen them and know what your character has. Then you just look online and focus on a few good moves for your character.

for whatever character you have, learn the following few moves

>launcher
know one or two moves your character has to launch opponent to start juggles
>basic hi-mid strings
your basic damage moves
>at least 2 moves that hit low
this is important, most beginners dont know how to block lows and if you know a few low hitting moves you will be solid at the start

just start by having those, then delve deeper into more of the movelist and pick out more moves you like that you think are safe, its all about experimenting. a GREAT way to learn how to play your character is actually wtching other people play him/her and ALSO playing against the same character in a ditto. you'll see how your character fucks you up so can apply the same

Good luck, its an extremely rewarding game, if you really focus on taking something away each match you get better a lost faster. you might have lost to a Law one match, but the next match youll know how to crouch block that annoying low hitting kick.

I also recommend tutorials on youtube, a lot of the veterans are very helpful, they helped me get off my feet so i could start playing a lot faster than i would have if i was looking into it on my own. i recommend aris, and kingjae
>>
>>380866426
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI&t=01s

After you choose what character you want to play, you can watch videos of good players using them to get a hang of what moves you'll want to be using.
>>
>>380868301
This + watch the videos at avoidingthepuddle for universal game knowledge, knowing how to hit on Tekken doesn't mean shit if you can't move and block properly.
>>
>>380866426
Don't even worry about combos beyond some of the 2 or 3 button attacks on your move list. You gotta focus on learning movement, guarding, how to see your opponents attacks coming, and the general flow of gameplay with a human opponent. Combos are the last thing you pick up in this game.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.