[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was thinking of giving the first game a go. But I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: TheEvilWithin2_Trailer[1].jpg (234KB, 1110x624px) Image search: [Google]
TheEvilWithin2_Trailer[1].jpg
234KB, 1110x624px
So was thinking of giving the first game a go. But I've only ever really heard negative things. What's the consensus these days?
>>
Mediocre RE4 clone by RE4's creator. Don't bother. And 2 isn't directed by him.
>>
>>380860291
>What's the consensus these days?
The consensus is you are a faggot.

Go play it and find out maybe.
>>
Beginning is great survival horror, middle is more arena focused and enemies turn into ammo sponges, and then the end devolves into Resident Evil 5.

Also almost every boss has an instant kill move. Fun but flawed game.
>>
>>380860291
Really fucking good. this guy >>380860460 is a faggot
>>
>>380860460
>>380860527
What about the story though? Isn't it the main selling point?
>>
Actually started playing this a few days ago before the announcement. It is a Resident Evil 4 clone through and through with none of the charm. It's descent, but it's bullshit, suffers from frame drops like crazy, and the controls are fucking GARBAGE.

My biggest gripe is that they'll introduce super interesting enemies, and you only see them once. Not boss's, enemies. You see the same 4 chuckle fuck enemies, skinny girl with axe, skinny guy with barbedwire head, fat guy, and porclean masked man with a gun.

It's not bad, but it's deftintley not Resident Evil 4.

ALSO, at E3 they mentioned, "He's a jerk so we are giving him depth and personality."

which actually means, that they're going to change the character. He's very cold and stoic, his fucking daughter died. Now they're going to bring her back and rip off Silent Hill lol.

The original director is not attached to this, so expect some weird progressive USA mentality to the game.
>>
I played it maybe a year after release and I just fucking hated it.
I finished it out of spite but really wish I hadn't. Pirate it if you must, but don't give money.
>>
>>380860919
>Main selling point
Maybe for 2, but the story in Evil Within 1 is practically non-existent. You piece the story together through documents you find throughout the game. It's one of the major complaints that people have with Evil Within 1 because they don't know what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>380860949
Sebastian had absolutely zero personality in the first Evil Within though. Any character development is a welcome change for him.
>>
>>380860949
The dude who directed the DLC is directing.
>>
>>380861193
You had to read the documents to get an idea of what kind of character he is.
>>
>>380860291
It's alright. Neat ideas and the first segment is actually pretty cool, but they made some really weird choices with things like forced letterboxing and there's just something kind of off about aiming, it feels sort of like your shots don't actually come from the gun, just from the crosshair.

It's worth playing if you can get it real cheap. I haven't played the DLC myself, but I've heard good things about Kidman's DLC.
>>
File: keeper boss.jpg (270KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
keeper boss.jpg
270KB, 1920x1080px
>>380860291
Here's my opinion and i spent way more time with than most of ./v/ who didn't play it and or dropped it. The Evil within is misunderstood as fuck by most casual gamers. There' a lot of things you can do that the game never tells you.

If you are expecting RE4 then you are going to have a bad time. If you are expecting to be scared then you are going to have a bad time. Plot, atmosphere and theme wise it's similar to games like RE, silent hill but TEW is it's own thing gameplay wise. It expects a lot out of you and the more you know about the mechanics the better it is. You need a different mentally to approaching the game. It's not like old REs where you have to decided whether to fight or run. And It's not like new REs where you just gun down everything. There plenty of moments where you have to kill lots of enemies and you can play the whole game that ( I personal love too) But there's a tactical edge to the game. Stealth is only an option and outside the tutorial, it's not necessary at all unless you are going to play on AKUMU difficulty. You can't shoot everything your first play through because you most definitely will run out of ammo and the game is not very forgiving when you have nothing. Using what you can find like bottles for setting off traps or using them to get knife instant kills, or one-use items come in handy. Also Matches are probably one of the most useful things in the game for saving ammo. Not only do they instantly kill downed enemies. But they will instant kill anything around that enemy giving you some nice setups. Then there's all the other stuff you can do by disarming traps(or saving them to use for your advantage) to make arrows or stealth kills. The gameplay is very unique compared to RE4/DS and one of the best thing about it is that it makes you improvise on the spot. Fighting things head on without knowing if you will find what you need or have enough ammo makes the game quite thrilling.
>>
I just beat it last night and it was great.
It's not scary, but it's weird.
Force yourself past the terrible stealth segment in the intro and you'll find a fantastic game.
If RE5 evolved RE4 in an action and coop direction, TEW evolves it more in a stealth action direction.
There are two chapters with lots of rooty tooty point and shooty though.

I'm currently working on the DLC which is a lot more tense.
>>
File: 240px-CW_Crooked_Man_Trial.png (122KB, 240x311px) Image search: [Google]
240px-CW_Crooked_Man_Trial.png
122KB, 240x311px
>Game gives you a Magnum at the very fucking end

Who's fucking idea was this? I literally didn't even use that fucking gun once
>>
>>380861553
This.
The game makes every encounter that doesn't turn into an ammo-dumping shitshow feel like a real victory.
No other game has made me wince more when I miss a shot.
>>
>>380860291
It's janky, but really good. I'd say it's not as good as Dead Space as an RE4 clone, but I'd put it above Shadows of the Damned and Alan Wake.
>>
>>380861618
There were like 5 more chapters after you get it.
I used it to one-shot the enemies that send the bloodpools with Laura hands every time I saw them.
>>
>>380862035
I'm playing on Akumu and just finish chapter 6's beginning and it felt so good. You really have to play smart. With RE4 and Dead Space you can kinda turn off your brain and just go on auto pilot., But TEW you have to understand your spacing and start up animation to get timing right for certain actions like getting the mot out of matches down kills. It's really cool once you get good. It's like TPS Souls game.
>>
>>380862474
I used on The double Keeper boss Love that part.
>>
Will Joseph return?
>>
>>380863947
Probably not. I have a feeling Ruvik won't be either. His presence will be felt but he won't actually appear. This is a second game in a series. So it will probably be new characters except for Sebastian and Kidman. Then the third game(if it gets one) will come full circle and bridge first and second games together.
>>
When will we be shown more footage?
>>
>>380864831
How could Ruvik not be in it, but Laura is?
>>
I'll say this. The game is freaky as fuck. It gave me more anxiety than the first village in re4 with the chainsaw guy. The monsters and story are both very creative. I like the story, it's interesting to me. The bosses can be difficult but not that difficult.
>>
>>380865184
Ruvik is in Sebastian.
>>
>>380860291
Hard to tell. It's a bit of an acquire taste. Some people can't get used to it and while yeah, it's flawed, it's also altogether a pretty good game. It's intentionally hard, dying is pretty normal, as in I died 98 times the first time I played the game, and that can rub people the wrong way.

>>380860460
Video games aren't movies.A director's job isn't the same in a game as in a movie. Mikami is producing which means he has as much to do with the game as the director.
>>
File: van_gogh.jpg (33KB, 400x519px) Image search: [Google]
van_gogh.jpg
33KB, 400x519px
I just hope they don't go as overboard with layered realities as they did in the first game. It completely kills the sense of pacing when you have absolutely no clue how far along you are or where you're even going.
Then the world tilts, you fall through a photograph and suddenly you are in a new, completely unrelated area.
>>
>>380868738
I didn't feel this at all.
Areas lasted long enough without overstaying their welcome.
Themes and tones changed but never lost tension.
>>
Game is fucking great
>>
>>380868738
That was kinda the point. Having your world flipped upside down like you are in a nightmare.

Anyways You are going to be in a small town like Silent Hill in the sequel.
>>
>>380860291
why dont you form your own opinion for once?

i'll be nice and give you a tip, search for the fitgirl repack to download 15gbs instead of 70
>>
How did this piece of shit get the green light for a sequel ?

Wasn't it universally panned ? Did it even break even ?
>>
>>380869917
What I meant is that there is no sense of overall progress. You go from running away, to not knowing where to go, then spot someone you know in the distance, meet up, fight some monsters, get seperated again when reality changes to something else.
And this happens over and over again. Your only goal is to proceed to the end of the level with no idea where you're even going or how far it is.
You go from the forest, to a village, to a cellar in a house there. Then reality shifts and you're suddenly in a sewer/underground. You push on until you meet Joseph and Kidman, combat happens, and you get seperated again.
>>
>>380870385

>that was kinda the point

the point was to make the player feel like they had no idea where they were goin, what they were doing, or if they were accomplishing anything at all by just following the straight line in front of them ?

well mission accomplished I guess
>>
>>380860291

Easily the worst AAA tps that was ever produced
>>
File: Upset Claire.jpg (27KB, 372x327px) Image search: [Google]
Upset Claire.jpg
27KB, 372x327px
>>380870743
>Wasn't it universally panned
No had positive reviews from most sites and Steam shitted on it until the patch came out to fix the black bars and 30 fps not like well liked.
>>380870927
>the point was to make the player feel like they had no idea where they were goin, what they were doing, or if they were accomplishing anything at all by just following the straight line in front of them ?
Each new level you are shown where you are going. Most of the time trying to get Leslie/Kidman. Did you not pay attention? They do the whole Uncharted thing where they point to the destination all the time.
>>
File: 1488086694297.jpg (37KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1488086694297.jpg
37KB, 500x384px
>>380860291
>What's the consensus these days?

It's good but bad. Great but awful. It's a lot of great ideas, put into conflicting highways, and when the thematic crashes happen, you are left dumb struck.

Some examples:

>Environmental Traps
>Yet enemies will spawn on top of you
>Sneaking, Silent QTE take downs
>Check point saves, will be trapped with enemies you have to defeat before moving on
>Story about piecing together the clues, subtlety and underlying themes
>Story about things yelling, screaming at your face and basically saying fuck you cause REASONS
>Weapon upgrades, enemy weaknesses you have to discover
>All enemies are bullet sponges and the game never makes clear which enemies you "can" defeat and which you are supposed to "avoid"

Overall, I'd say it's a 4/10, but if you really like scary games and their atmosphere, I'd bump this up to a 7/10. It's a hit or miss title, where the enjoyment you get out of it falls on how much of its faults you are willing to over look. It's closer to a scary Suda51 game in archetype than a RE game.
>>
>>380871436

Meeting up with people is not an overall destination. You're just stumbling from zone to zone with no idea on what you're actually doing untill the last boss shows himself and turns out to be a pushover compared to the matrix shit he was pulling earlier

there's really no sense of story progression, no matter how you spin it
>>
Fucking bad.
>>
>>380860919
It was all a dream.
>>
>>380872058

It was all a dream except the part where the villain accomplished his goal and the entire game was completely pointless and you didn't accomplish anything considering things went exactly as everyone wanted them to go
>>
>>380871801
>there's really no sense of story progression, no matter how you spin it

>I gotta get to the Asylum
>that lighthouse...is it the Asylum?
>Sebastian, we can get to the Asylum using those traincars as a bridge
>The Asylum...I knew it...
>>
>>380872193
I have not yet finished the DLC but are we positive that Ruvik overtook Leslie's mind?
Would it be a split personality thing or just Ruvik?
Did they want Leslie because his mind was weak, or did he have his own element of genius?
>>
>>380872374

now tell me how the underground tomb level or the industrial zone level or the motel level or the city streets level, or any of the levels that are between these bits and represent 80% of your gametime fit into any of that at all
>>
>>380872374
You run away from the asylum. The idea to go there (the lighthouse symbolism) doesn't pop up until much later. And even then, there is no actual, physical journey there. You just stumble through the levels and end up in disconnected location after disconnected location until you're eventually just there because you stepped through a portal and spawned in a corridor.

The path from where you are to your (supposed) destionation makes no sense.
I get that it was supposed to feel like a dream, where you never actually physically move to the place you need to go, but instead "get there" by overcoming some mental block, but this made for very poor story structure.
>>
>>380860291
For a horror game, it's pretty damn good. A lot of unanswered questions and hot police daddies in uniform.
>>
>>380872547

The DLC doesn't really answer these questions
But it's pretty transparent that something happened to Leslie, and considering how the fight against the brain went it's fair to assume that you failed at protecting leslie at all

I don't remember what made leslie the ideal target for ruvik but iirc he was specially prep'd as an host in some way, and there were some parallels between his life and ruvik's that made the process easier ? It's been a while so that part I don't remember

But the cops really didn't accomplish anything overall if Leslie still gets mindjacked at the end.
>>
>>380871801
>Meeting up with people is not an overall destination.
Actually it is. Just like Mario saving the princess. It maybe simple and you don't agree with it but that's it.
>there's really no sense of story progression, no matter how you spin it
It's in the point of view of Sebastian who knows nothing about STEM. Also you weren't talking about the story, but about destination and the game shows/tells you where you are going usually in the beginning of each new level.
>>
File: 1480896421123.jpg (40KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1480896421123.jpg
40KB, 500x491px
Protip:

Fire is the strongest weapon in the game, since the game takes place in someone's mind and they are scared of fire. Matches, explosive arrows, anything with a fire theme that can be upgraded, should be upgraded first. Your stamina bar for sprinting will leave you in a weakened slow state when you drain it all. Don't run on until you use it up; stop at the 1/4th mark, to recharge it faster and move faster over all. On the harder modes, enemies will more than likely take 3 hits to kill you. So never fully heal yourself up, since you only need 2/3rds of your health to survive 3 hits. Having full health (4/4th) will still lead you to death at 3 hits, meaning the extra 1/4th of health you healed up to, is wasted.

Also, when you are in segments where the enemies are roaming about with you unnoticed, that's a Q that you can instantly kill them with sneak attacks. Lastly, the female boss with the long hair "can" be killed each time you meet her, if you have enough ammo. The only instances where you can't beat her is near the end when she's crawling on a large chain link fence barrier and you confront her or on chase sequences.
>>
Like it, hated the last moments of the game and that part where you are going to some kind of fortress with your partner.
It was a very enjoyable game for the most parts.
>>
>>380860291
It's a decent game. The first few chapters are the weakest, but thankfully it picks up once those are out of the way. It's RE4 but with stealth and mindfuckery. There are some instances that required a lot of trial and error. Also, a lot of the chapters have gimmicks to them. It helps make each chapter seem distinct but at the same time a lot of the gimmicks are annoying. 2 will hopefully be more polished.
>>
>>380872984
Well, you CAN kill her at the end of it. There's a trophy for it
>>
>>380871557
Im not OP but I was interested. This really helps, I may be playing it if I find a good sale
>>
Any of the bosses was spooky?
>>
>>380870927
It's meant to be disorienting, yes. Did you hate constantly jumping down holes in SH2 or the Otherworld in that series in general? It's the same concept and probably the coolest shit in TEW.
>>
>>380873292

the sadako spider is pretty spooky, but her instant kill attacks get old fast if you keep dying versus her and the spook effect gives way to frustration, tho that's usually the case for every spooky fight that's kills you too often

the other bosses are not that scary, but there's a fair share of scary normal ennemies like invisible ennemies and ennemies that kill you by looking at you for too long
>>
>>380872984
Laura is pretty easy once you understand how to fight her.
>>
File: All mightt.png (623KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
All mightt.png
623KB, 1111x597px
Anyone else really enjoyed the DLC?
>>
>>380873437

Didn't play Otherworld, and yes I kinda hated that in SH2, but I could forgive it in that game because there was a sense of always going down that was very transparent. Even if you couldn't tell what the next zone would be, the fact that it was "down" meant you were progressing deeper into hell, and that was enough to feel like there was a greater overarching direction at work.

In TEW I just felt randomly teleported left and right untill on a whim I finally landed in the right place.
>>
>>380873501
Spider girl was great. All of her fights are intense. The areas you fight her aren't very big so unless you have terrible reaction times you shouldn't die too often, as you get the layout down pretty quickly.

I also really liked the parking garage boss. Fighting that thing with minimal ammo was a rush.
>>
>>380873724
Otherworld is just the general name used for those areas in the Silent Hill games.

I'm not getting what you mean about TEW's levels though. They're all fairly linear so there is always a sense of progression. Many of the chapters aren't connected to each other in terms of location but hey welcome to level based games. This is hardly exclusive to TEW.
>>
>>380873786

Yeah but it's kinda annoying to get punished for a misstep by her curb stomping your entire health bar and having to redo the entire fight

Generally speaking difficulty has an averse effect on spookiness, you ideally never want players to have to retry the segment because of a single mistake because otherwise they stop feeling fear and feel a lot of other, less desirable things

overall I disliked this game's boner for instant kill attacks, to the sole exception of those mages conjuring hands, that was cool and gave you plenty of wiggle room
>>
File: mikami shoots you.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mikami shoots you.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>380873651
It's okay. The story makes more sense because it's in Kidman's POV so if you really want a more coherent story it's good but gameplay is not as fun. Doing nothing but Hiding and running goes against Mikami's Horror beliefs and I agree.
>>
>>380874239
The only instant kills I hated were hooded fags random encounter bullshit. Spider girl always telegraphed where she was spawning and was significantly slower than you. Obviously you'll still die a few times but it shouldn't be very many. It's not like Alien Isolation where the xeno can be anywhere. Spider girl spawns from set places and follows obvious paths.

The part where you go into the furnace was kind of gay though, with how well hidden the kill switch is.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.