[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think that we're experienced diminishing returns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: enhanced-buzz-5712-1361903342-0.jpg (33KB, 506x253px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-buzz-5712-1361903342-0.jpg
33KB, 506x253px
Do you think that we're experienced diminishing returns in graphics in video games? I mean, it seems the difference in graphics gets smaller and smaller every generation.

I don't think we're ever going to get another huge gap in graphics like we did between the 4th (SNES/Genesis) gen and the 5th (N64/PS1/Saturn).

What do you think?
>>
>>380852676
the difference between PS3 and PS4 is hueg
completely different lighting model affecting everything
>>
>>380852676
In terms of polygon count, yes. However, we are getting better lighting, particle effects, post-processing, etc that all help make games look good beyond the number of polygons on screen.
>>
this assumes that more capable hardware = higher polygon count
>>
>>380852974
This, and it's also becoming more about textures and mapping too. 4K textures will eventually be 8k, 16k, etc.
>>
>>380852676
We're going millions of polys now for highpoly characters. That image is worthless now, especially considering it's only half of the better version.
>>
I think in terms of lone characters and objects, we're as far as we need to be for the time being. The trick now is having more characters/objects of that quality in any given scene.

VR seems to be dismantling a lot of conventions. Character faces and expressions/body language are far more important and people expect to be able to pick up and interact with everything in a scene. No matter how pointless. That's only going to get worse as the resolutions raise.
>>
The OP pic is a bit flawed because the actual model is not that detailed. If it was, the 60k model would look much more impressive.

However, at the same time from a developmental standpoint graphical stagnation has to be expected to some extent. A more detailed model takes more time/money to make. Eventually you have to talk about either spending more on the game (as opposed to our largely $60 plateau for a long time now despite inflation) or letting graphics stagnate to some extent in favor of polish in other aspects of the game.
>>
>people still post this image after its been shown as bullshit every single time its posted
>>
>>380853591
>A more detailed model takes more time/money to make.
Wrong. They don't do more detail models. They simplify them less and do more with geometry instead of normal mapping.
>>
>>380852676
sega mega drive ps1 ps2 ps3
>>
Graphics programmer here. Polycount is hardly a limiting factor nowadays. As other people said we still have some way to go before full photorealism.

Global illumination is still (mostly) precomputed. We still struggle with simple things, like proper reflection/refraction. True anti-aliasing is still a huge issue with no apparent solution.

But sure, the graphics gap between generations is lower and lower. Most games being released are indies pixels shitters anyway.
>>
We need to stop advancing as Mozart is obviously trying to materialise himself back into our realm of consciousness.
>>
File: 1371731594991.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1371731594991.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>380853987
Laughed more than I should've
>>
>>380854164
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>380853403
>I think in terms of lone characters and objects, we're as far as we need to be for the time being.

>hair still looks like trash in most games
>models still clip through themselves or each other, with animations built around skeletons instead of characters
We're still a long way from where we need to be.
>>
>>380852676

>"LOOK MOM, I POSTED THAT DEBUNKED PICTURE AGAIN"
>>
>>380852676
That image is misleading, the 60000 triangle model made properly allows for muh more detailed when viewed up close. But the real problem is production costs. It doesn't matter if modern GPUs can easily render gorillions of triangles when actual asset costs and production time would be ungodly. The easier way to get some visual flair is through shaders.
>>
>>380852676
1.) 7th gen pretty much has enough polygons on characters already. However environments were for the most part total shit. 8th gen is better in that regard but there's still room to improve.

2.) The biggest change between 7th and 8th gen was lighting. If you're a pleb you might think it's not a big deal, but my eyes are bleeding honey instead of aids now. It's a massive difference. Considering it's not even close to being a realistic model right now, we still got ways to go.

3.) Textures are another thing that was actually shit in 7th gen. It's a bit better on 8th gen, but it's actually still shit. Until everything has 4k/4k textures minimum, we aren't hitting diminishing returns there.

4.) Even the new meme improved consoles can't do proper 2160p yet. Even if resolution is actually not as important as the other things I mentioned, there's still plenty of room to improve even there.

5.) The current "HDR" meme actually means 10bit graphics, which is arguably in the realm of diminishing returns as far as the actual improvement goes, but it's good that we're getting there. I didn't even know that this thing existed a few years ago. Who knows how many other things like this there are.

6.) Even if all the other things would plateau, more processing power would means more actors on screen at the same time, higher view distance, higher fps and all kinds of nice things.
>>
>>380853676
Because kids, who majorily browse this site now, are naive idiots.

The same way pictures don't increase in fidelity if you just increase the original resolution and like this, the model was done with 6k polygons.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.