[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

to whom may be interested >The Real Story Behind Xenogear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

to whom may be interested
>The Real Story Behind Xenogears' 'Unfinished' Disc 2

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112
>>
Kotaku actually do some good reporting every once in a while.
>>
>Kotaku

Fuck the fuck off.
>>
>“Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members,” said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. “Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done.”
>As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when Fei and his team escape from Solaris.
>“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”
>So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today’s game. Instead of playing through events like the world’s mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi’s decision—so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.
>“I do think my decision was the right one to make,” said Takahashi. “Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad.”
>>
So it was a time (aka money) constraint that made them rush the game.

Nice to know.
>>
>>380744942
>http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112
Get fukt Kotaku.

https://archive.fo/Bgn48
>>
And people criticize Xenogears as it is for being unfinished. I wonder how this affects the game's legacy knowing the other alternatives literally half a game.
>>
So you can just watch it on youtube and its no big deal?
>>
>>380745881
Having read the article, I can understand where Takahashi is coming from, but I respectfully disagree that the alternative to the slideshow VN disc 2, which he says was cliff hangering Disc 1 was the right strategy. Fuck, A whole part 2 just playing the post-mutation world sounds incredible.
>>
>>380746135
I totally agree with you, but given how plans for the rest of the series were scrapped I don't have faith that Square would have let him finish a second game. Better that it actually has closure than the game ending on disc 1 forever.
>>
This is also interesting to me:
“Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done."

I guess that could explain other Square games like SaGa Frontier being incomplete.
>>
>>380746397
>but given how plans for the rest of the series were scrapped I don't have faith that Square would have let him finish a second game.
Square Soft: We Have Know Idea How To Manage Our IPs
>>
Oh wow, it's exactly what I've been telling people who bring up that fucking stupid "FF8 STOLE MONEY!!!" rumor every time it's said. Unfortunately I don't think even this will kill that rumor anymore, it's memed its way into becoming truth.
>>
File: xeno-citan-uzuki1.jpg (129KB, 760x1450px) Image search: [Google]
xeno-citan-uzuki1.jpg
129KB, 760x1450px
>>380746397
I agree with >>380746397

Square would never have greenlit a sequel to Xenogears. That being said the idea behind Xenogears was massive, the only game released was technically episode 5.
>>
>>380744942
interesting, next time link the archive.is verison of it like >>380745742
>>
>>380744942
I wish they could remake this game
>>
>>380747586
>the only game released was technically episode 5.
It's episodes 2-5.
>>
>>380747586
Xenosaga was supposed to be the series Xenogears was supposed to be but it crapped out after the first game
>>
>>380745742
Thanks anon
>>
I remember reading that Xenogears was supposed to be chapter 5 out of 6 in a grand story. Why did Square put such a time limit on this game when they gave FFXV all the time in the fucking world and it still ended up like shit?
>>
File: Sophia_Portrait_1.png (2MB, 1000x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Sophia_Portrait_1.png
2MB, 1000x1404px
>>380748730
>Why did Square put such a time limit on this game when they gave FFXV all the time in the fucking world and it still ended up like shit?
See:
>>380746768
>>
>>380748730
Because Square 1996 isn't the same as Square Enix 20 years later. They pushed out games like a machine in the late 90s.
>>
>>380748038
With 2, 3, and 4 accounting for 0 of the actual gameplay.

You only PLAY through part 5, the other parts you get snippets of in cut scenes because it wouldn't make any fucking sense otherwise.
>>
>>380749002
It's still important to include them whenever you're talking about the episodes, because then other people get the mistaken intention that it was going to be a 6 game series, which is false.
>>
File: 1375987653747.jpg (49KB, 257x398px) Image search: [Google]
1375987653747.jpg
49KB, 257x398px
>>380747974
Ok. May I ask why?

>>380747976
Me too but I think it would be a disaster. Look at what they're doing to FF7.

>>380748038
>>380748084
Yeah ep.5 not counting Xenosaga. Xenogears is a Squenix property, Xenosaga is Namco Bandai. Monolith made more or less subtle connections but the background was not the same and they could not make direct references.
>>
>>380748730
More importantly why did he want to make a game with that amount of content. It was better off as novels or a manga.
>>
>>380749247
The original plan was for episodes 2-5 to be a multimedia project, but he probably didn't get approval for it and wound up squeezing them all into the one game we know as Xenogears.
>>
Fuckin Square just sell Takahashi his IP back!
>>
This just makes me think that I would love a remake/remaster of Xenogears, but then I remember that they'd probably just turn it into another shitty action game and I just get depressed about it all.
>>
>>380747976
>>380749226
A Xenogears remake by square could work imo.
It's not FF so the director would have more leeway.
>>
>>380750195
>I remember that they'd probably just turn it into another shitty action game
it was already that
>>
File: dp.jpg (48KB, 341x290px) Image search: [Google]
dp.jpg
48KB, 341x290px
>mfw /v/ loves Xenogears now
>>
>>380750195
The only thing Xenogears needs is a retranslation. Fuck remakes.
>>
>>380750195
Square only did that with FF.
They still do turn based stuff of that's what you want.
But I'd personally want a Xenogears remake that mixes elements of X-2,XII,Vagrant Story and XCX.
Having mecha in a jrpg should be something that paves the way for innovative gameplay, a system that makes use of the change in scale when fighting.
>>
to be honest, ending the game abruptly after disc one would've been better than the trainwreck that was the second disc.

I really did have a high opinion of the game till I reached that point, so from my perspective it wasn't a good decision at all. In fact, I never even beat the game because of how bad the second disc was... It was depressing.
>>
>>380750415
Nah.
I love it but it usually gets a really mixed reception.
Most of this is due to disk 2 and the story.
>>
>>380750547
No it wouldn't have. It would have made the game terrible.
>>
File: x.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
x.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>380750195
a REMASTER
not remake
a remaster by Monolith with the missing parts
a man can dream.
>>
>>380750415
I always love it, wtf you talking about?
>>
Has Square done anything with the Xenogears IP at all? Put any of its music in those FF 3ds rhythm games? Mobile game? Anything at all?
>>
File: a niggawould.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
a niggawould.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>380750228

ONLY if they do it in the same style, 3D world, 2D sprites. Touch up the textures and flesh out disc 2, don't fuck with anything else, don't add any side ideas people had during production or after, just a straight remake with the 2nd disc flesh out properly.
>>
>>380750415
>now
WDHMBT?
>>
>>380750981
see
>>380750742
>>
>>380750895
Guest stuff.

Xenogears eh, I remember seeing the ads in the comics.
>>
File: 1239259786764.jpg (27KB, 261x297px) Image search: [Google]
1239259786764.jpg
27KB, 261x297px
>no on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees.

How things have changed.
Now game companies hot drop fresh meat into unfamiliar engine tools and crack the whip until something turns out. That's why we get Mafia III from AAA now.
>>
File: figureheads_08_cs1w1_1000x581.jpg (352KB, 1000x581px) Image search: [Google]
figureheads_08_cs1w1_1000x581.jpg
352KB, 1000x581px
>>380750895
The Xenogears mechs were put into a PC game called Figureheads (Jp only), and Xenogears itself shows up in WoFF.
>>
>>380750895
Super robot wars crossover and that ff rhythm game
>>
>>380751443

I think the advent of the internet has dehumanized a lot of people.
>>
>>380751565

I remember playing the shit out of that D-Block arena minigame.
>>
>>380751443
Pretty sure Mess Effect was the bigger AAA mess
>>
Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2nI3FP6dmg
>>
>>380750895
Xenogears is the super boss in Worlds of FF and can be summoned.
>>
>>380750981
Impossiboru. Not cuhrazee enough.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.