[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How powerful is the top of the line smartphone hardware right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: game mobile.png (203KB, 1060x604px) Image search: [Google]
game mobile.png
203KB, 1060x604px
How powerful is the top of the line smartphone hardware right now? Are they more powerful than the 360 and PS3?
>>
Yeah but they lack proper API support, though Vulkan helps woth that.
>>
>>380734756
yeah I remember dolphin devs saying the API support for all devices was shit all across the board, only nvidia had decent driver support, but then barely any device uses nvidia's stuff these days
>>
>>380734901
Teah, though nintendo switch does and it's an older tegra that's underclocked and still it seems to be pushing better visuals than PS3/Xbox360/WiiU.
>>
File: dolphin gakaxy s8.jpg (37KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
dolphin gakaxy s8.jpg
37KB, 630x354px
>>380735390
Hopefully the switch gets hacked wide open, I'm curious about emulation on it.
>>
File: 1496340379382.png (396KB, 622x594px) Image search: [Google]
1496340379382.png
396KB, 622x594px
>My face when the Samsung S8 detects when you plug a PS4 controller into it and works flawlessly with emulators
>>
>>380734640
No.
>>380734756
Yeah but hurr hurr hu
NO.
>>
>>380736193
doesn't that device have overheating issues?
>>
>>380736292
Not widespread enough to care about, no. About as common as iPhone SE batteries inflating and popping the screen out.
>>
>people bought Samsung shit
why do you subject yourselves to gimmicky devices filled with software bloat and lack of updates?
>>
>>380736803
I've been watching a video of how many gamecube games emulate well on the S8 snapdragon 835 chipset, portable emulation has a glorious future ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrKPCF2yyY
>>
M4 on da right, 911 on da left
>>
>>380736926
muh specs
also microSD card slot is nice, what else is there as an alternative with both those things?
>>
>>380736926
The amount of software forced on you in modern Samsungs is minimal as fuck. You have the Google stuff and Samsung equivalents, but beyond that they removed 90% of the bloatware.

I'm never moving back to Sony, their phones are fucking littered with software glitches.
>>
>>380736281
there's still good stuff to be obtained from mobile devices even if most games on mobile are cash grab shit, look at how well a S8 emulates Gamecube using dolphin:

now tell me emulating Gamecube with a device that fits on your pocket isn't good as fuck. People who play "traditional" games can benefit greatly from the advances of mobile hardware. I mean fuck, the Switch is using mobile hardware, it benefitted from the explosion of mobile devices and is delivering a powerful handheld platform because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAM1yujloo
>>
>>380736074
There's more overlay than actual screen space.
>>
>>380738506
it can be turned off as seen in the video above your post
>>
>>380738395
>there's still good stuff to be obtained from mobile devices even if most games on mobile are cash grab shit, look at how well a S8 emulates Gamecube using dolphin:
Mobile processors aren't up to a PS3 or 360 yet, that was the assertion and it's wrong.
Give them some 5 years.
>>
>>380738625
How do you know that? The CPUs of those consoles are old by now and comparing clock speeds between very different architectures doesn't really work well for comparisons.

Also it's nice to have them as open platforms, even if Android is a fucking mess with the Java virtual machine thing, emu devs keep working on emulators for Android, which end up as an alternative for using a PSP for emulating something, which has its issues given how old that device is, also how handhelds need to be hacked before emus can even begin to be developed for them. They work as a nice stable platform for continuous emulator development. Specs constantly improving also helps to get ahead with emulation.
>>
>>380739134
>The CPUs of those consoles are old by now and comparing clock speeds between very different architectures doesn't really work well for comparisons.
Well, you're not comparing completely different architectures, you're comparing PPC chips with ARM chips, running at much higher frequencies and voltages and at least 3 cores and a dedicated GPU. Now post some benchmarks or take your fanfiction elsewhere.
>>
we need more efficient and powerful batteries
>nuclear handhelds when?
>>
It does not matter.

At this point smartphones still cannot replace handhelds. Physical controls are a much more reliable way of playing games, and at best with a controller attached to it you have an emulator handheld with crappy games. You can count the number of good games that are exclusive to Android/iPhone with just one hand.
>>
>>380739304
but I didn't say they are more powerful, but you did say they are not first. Why don't you substantiate your claims that mobile CPUs are weaker than the PS3's/360's? I never spoke with certainty about the power of their CPUs.
>>
The day we can flawlessly input commands with our thoughts is the day smartphones will become the absolute top tier gaming handheld.
>>
>>380735390
>still it seems to be pushing better visuals than PS3/Xbox360
hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>380739575
But Nintendo pretty much slapped a controller on a tablet hardware, and made it the Switch. If anything this constant development of mobile hardware has benefited Nintendo the most. They have a tablet with buttons more powerful than the Wii U, that's pretty good if you think about how the 3DS is way far behind the tech.
>>
>>380739861
Dead meme. Its way fuckin better.
>>
>>380739689
that would also open a can of worms for mind control shit, the technology this day seems to be making real life into some cyberpunk bizarre shit, people like how their smartphone can read their fingerprints but you have no clue who has access to your fingerprint
>>
>>380739304
Also the Switch's Tegra hardware outputting games that look better than the PS3/360 games is a good indicative of how it approaches those console's CPUs or so.

Or that the CPU wasn't that important, compared to a GPU, I do remember people saying the CPUs of the PS3/360 were better than the ones in the Xbone/PS4, at least single core performance shat all over the Jaguars.
>>
>>380739575
>At this point smartphones still cannot replace handhelds
Your right but at the same time wrong cause handhelds are dead now. Handhelds are better to play vidya but phones have killed them
>>
File: tablet wikipad.jpg (34KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
tablet wikipad.jpg
34KB, 960x642px
>>380740660
Nintendo turned their handheld into a mobile hybrid. What is the Switch if not a tablet + controllers? It's a more refined version of this
>>
>>380739685
>but I didn't say they are more powerfu
Yes you did, on your previous post. You're stalling.
>>
>>380740636
>Also the Switch's Tegra hardware outputting games that look better than the PS3/360 games
False, let's have a look at Skyrim when it comes out.
>>
>>380741410
I didn't, my initial reply here >>380738395
just saying the progress of mobile technology can benefit people who want emulation, and even benefited Nintendo with the technology in their Switch.

Can you even compare the CPUs of the PS360 with a mobile device? How would you do benchmarks with games, you'd need ports made that use shit like Vulkan and that make use of the hardware of the lastest SoCs.

I know you can compare the PS2 with mobiles given how San Andreas runs really well on mobiles, with extra graphical effects such as car reflections and higher resolution, but those devices being stronger than the PS2 is a given.
>>
>>380741765
>just saying the progress of mobile technology can benefit people who want emulation, and even benefited Nintendo with the technology in their Switch.
That's beating around the bush, the initial question was wether or not cellphones were more powerful than a PS3/360. The answer is not yet.
>>
>>380741896
but how can you measure such a thing? Like the other anon said, there's a big problem with APIs not using mobile hardware well, Vulkan can change that, but it's an issue.
>>
>>380741530
Aren't there Switch games that look much better than anything on the PS3 or 360?
>>
>>380742103
>but how can you measure such a thing?
By looking at and playing the games. Show me something that looks as good as Halo: Reach or Vanquish on google play.
>>
>>380736926

custom roms anon
>>
>>380742470
So if a port on PC looks slightly better than on PS4Pro, does that mean that a GTX 1080 is just as superior as the Pro's GPU? Because that's essentially what you're doing, smartphones have ever constant improving hardware, doesn't mean it's being used since the games target the middle specs, the most popular phones.

The hardware could not be fully used, for one. The app size limit is a hindrance to mobile, look at the size of a PS3 era game and look at the largest apps on any mobile store. GTA IV was like 15GB+. It's not an accurate way to compare the hardware by just looking at the games.

Even on PC, exclusives are not built for 7700K/1080 settings, that would limit the market too much. Crysis did that and people bought it just for how it was used as a benchmark, but those kind of games that try to raise the bar don't happen often anymore.
>>
Do you honestly think that stupid racing app is rendering those cars in real time? Those are pre rendered videos
>>
>>380742103
comparing the specs, glfops, memory bandwidth, texture fill-rate and all the other shit I don't understand
>>
Some games look better than x360/ps3, but phones have a lower native resolution so it's difficult to judge.
>>
>>380743447
Phones don't have a lower native resolution than consoles nowadays, most devs just opt to use 1080p or less.
>>
File: Bioshock mobile.jpg (150KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bioshock mobile.jpg
150KB, 960x720px
>>380743447
the textures look much better than the blurry shit that was most games of the 7th generation

You know a funny thing, I was reading about the Bioshock iOS port, and in it the 2K guy was saying they needed to take out the lighting from the game in order to reduce the size of the app, since there are restrictions at play.

Mobiles could easily have more internal storage if the manufacturers wanted, plus multipl microSD card slots for more local storage, only if those companies didn't want to push cloud storage at every turn so bad.
>>
mobile chips are more powerful but also more limited

they could run something like half life 2 way better than the older consoles

but because of API limitations, they can't effectively run modern looking games
>>
No big developer is willing to make traditional video games from the ground up exclusively for mobile. You could have PS4 level visuals on a mobile device but almost nothing will take full advantage of it. Freemium gacha games are much more lucrative than a console style game you pay for only once.
>>
>>380736926
>>380737389
>he still doesn't know how to unlock his bootloader in the current year
>>
>>380743957
Wouldn't that mean most of the lighting was baked in? I guess they couldn't put in real time lighting cause of CPU hardware.
>>
>>380743957
that's just a bs excuse from the devs, the real reason is that metal is an piece of shit api
>>
>>380744292
you also have app size limit, to get good textures and shit along with cinematics, that shit takes up an amount of storage that you don't have in mobiles limited by their 32GB/64GB internal storage awful limitation.

I remember in 2012 Samsung managed to get like 300GB of internal storage with their prototypes, but having good internal storage goes against the policy of enforcing Cloud Storage at every turn down people's throats.

>>380744505
that's what they said, they had to tone down shit to reduce the sizeof the game so it would be in accord with Apple's app size restrictions

https://www.engadget.com/2014/08/04/bioshock-ios/
>Yes, BioShock doesn't look as good on iOS. It's the truth. In-game lighting and shadows are cut down pretty dramatically, as are art assets. The grandeur of Rapture is distinctly less grand, which sucks some of the life out of one of my personal favorites. The first thing you'll notice is "iOS fire." The game's opening -- a plane crash -- puts main character Jack in the ocean surrounded by some hideously ugly fire animations. It's the first hint that the iOS version of Rapture has been shrunken down to fit within Apple's app store file size limitation, and it's a nagging issue that I couldn't shake in my hands-on time.

That pretty much guarantees the size of your game is always going to limit what you can have in it.

>>380744712
could be that or that apple devices suck, but then the size of the average PS3 game was what, ~10GB? i'm not sure what's the app size restriction but there's a clear conflict of interest, developers would love to have more storage space for bigger apps, maybe even ports and shit, but Apple, Google and so on don't want it because cloud storage meme.
>>
>>380744925
I've always thought that size limits are done for two reasons:

1. Theycorrectly guess that most people that use phones/tablets would have data caps.

2. This helps to keep the host's servers cheap and they can jew out of paying lots for internet bandwidth.

I'm sure you'll give more reasons but that's the 2 (relatively obvious) ones.
>>
>>380734640
You can find a few benchmarks here:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Smartphone-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.149363.0.html
As far as hardware itself goes, the most powerful chipsets (Tegra X1, A10X) are above the last gen consoles but still behind the PS4 and Xbox One. The biggest problem is as >>380734756 said the shitty API support for smartphones, so only the Tegra X1 can really run stuff like the full version of the Unreal Engine 4.
>>
>>380745474
Yeah you're right, and I also think the poor internal storage is the other issue to limit the app size. With those 32GB common models, a 9GB game is simply too big. They could totally have way more than that storage, but then cloud storage jewing would be affected.

>>380745581
Yeah dolphin devs explained here how bad the driver situation of mobile is
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.