[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A while ago I was looking for some calm "build things/city"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: A3-1024x576.jpg (239KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
A3-1024x576.jpg
239KB, 1024x576px
A while ago I was looking for some calm "build things/city" game similar to Settlers 2 and /v/ recommended Banished to me. Which is a great game, I love it. I just miss other in-game factions with which I would compere. So I wonder, are there any similar games where you get a map and start to carve out your kingdom/empire, but are not as complex as CIV series? Something similar to Settlers?

Got any recommendations for me, /v/? Can be older games too. (a few years old)

thanks
>>
You're walking the lines between grand strategy, RTS, turn-based strategy, and city-building. There's not much like what you describe.

The only thing I can think of is the Anno series, namely Anno 1404 and Anno 2070. One is historical and one is futuristic. The games focus on citybuilding with emphasis on comfy, but involve opposing factions and trading and war. The combat stuff is quite shallow but that's the best you'll get from citybuildans.

As for pureblooded citybuildans, Cities Skylines is the best recent one and almost Banished levels of comfy. However, it takes place in a modern setting and involves no interaction with other cities.

Grand strategy games, e.g. Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, or Stellaris, are all about carving out your kingdom and empire on the map, but a) aren't comfy by default but can be comfy if you can roleplay enough in your head, and b) are certainly more complex than Civ.

And RTS games lack citybuilding but can be comfy. However, the games are so short that it doesn't really scratch the itch to really make an empire I think. You don't get too attached to your creation when it's all over in an hour tops while games in Europa Universalis last days on end.
>>
>>380715975
Not him but I wanted a more complicated set-up than banished with more resource types and production chains (which is missing in vanilla).
>>
>>380715975
Zeus man, it's literally the best that ever was.
>>
>>380717903
>Zeus was released 17 years ago
Getting old, so old.

But yeah, Emperor, Pharaoh, Caesar, are all city builders with competition/rubbish combat.
>>
>>380717690
not a city builder but factorio does that
>>
File: city_building_comp.jpg (878KB, 1392x697px) Image search: [Google]
city_building_comp.jpg
878KB, 1392x697px
>>380715975
Go with city-building series.

>Something similar to Settlers?
Alien Nations? It's basically re-skinned Settlers from the time.
>>
>>380715975
Black and white 2
>>
>>380718147
That's ok, i always preferred the economy maps anyway.
>>
Children of the nile

Gog has its summer sale on.
>>
>>380715975
Pandora first contact
probably one of my favorite all time games
it improves on the turnbased genre but it lacks in other areas
otherwise its my almost perfect game cant stop playing it
once you get passed the shallowness of the different races and hit turn 100 (when the aliens invade) its fucking awesome
>>
>>380718147
>>380718053
>Can be older games too. (a few years old)
Anons...

Not the OP obviously. On a related note I tried playing Emperor again yesterday and it just kind of rubbed in the fact that I can't play those old citybuildan gaems anymore. They're just too rigid compared to any newer ones, and the way you can't zoom out for shit sucks balls when you're just trying to get comfy and admire your creation.
>>
>>380715975
Life is Feudal: Forest Village is basically a copy of Banished but with better graphics. Needs tweaking though, I'm not sure the devs played it as much as they should have.
>>
The guild series

Majesty
Majesty 2

Star control 3
>>
>>380715975
The guild 2 had potential to scratch that building management itch. But its a buggy mess. Keep an eye out for The guild 3 release. If its put together decently it could be great.
>>
>>380715975
you could try Rimworld?
>>
Space colony
Dungeons series
>>
That maia game that been early access for ages
>>
The villiagers won't walk to get food if the barn is too far away so they can starve. They also starve if they don't have a house, only warm up at home too. So if you upgrade their house there's a chance they'll starve/freeze before the house is done.

Also there is no simple Market building with employees that sort and deliver goods to each market to make sure everyone has everything within reach like Banished. Here you need multiple buildings and the donkeys only transport one type of good at a time.
>>
>>380718425
Basically babby dorf fort in space?
>>
>>380718367
I don't think The Guild is really the same kind of game OP is asking for, though. That's more like a simulation of historical life.
>>
>>380718168

I never played 1, so I never really understood why that game got so much shit.

My favourite part about B&W2 was just how gorgeous it looked. It was just a good looking game more than anything.

Also, if you like banished for its simplicity, you should check out the Tropico series. Most people agree that Tropico 4 is still the best.
>>
OP here.

Ok, how about if I add HOMM III. to the ideas of what I might like?
>>
>>380715975
Rimworld.
It's dwarf fortress but actually fun this time.
>>
>>380718712
Homm 2
>>
>>380718614
This kind of thing was always stupid to me:
>honey, there will be no dinner today, or anytime soon for that matter, because food storage is 10 meters further away than I'm comfortable going

This is lazy, lower the amount of food they can receive while being far away, limit the growth or production efficiency, but don't kill them because of that.
>>
>>380718712
You're throwing a completely different game into the mix. HOMM III is great but it isn't really a build things game.
If you're keen on that take a look at >>380718365s recommendation of Majesty. dont go for the second one first is better

If you're after games that essentially play themselves but you manage the overview: Majesty is a good one. Rimworld too, bit more complicated though.
>>
>>380718712
Disciples 2
>>
>>380718972
Excellent suggestion.
>>
>>380718685
Yeah the game still holds up in this year and age
Too bad 3 will never happen
>>
>>380718168
>>380718685

But yeah, I think Black and white 2 is closest to what OP is looking for, even though its a bit old at this point.

I don't think we are going to see anything like it for a while. Damn shame about lionhead.
>>
>>380719070
I always thought B&W would have been cooler without the creatures.
>>
>>380718712
In all seriousness, try total war mediaval 2. There is some city building and war.

Mount and Blade is a comfy one in my opinion. Its politics and army building.

Lastly crusader kings 2 but its a lot to learn. Good think is it has modding community
>>
OP here.

Great suggestions. Will try a few of these.

As for >>380719578
I have about 1.000 hours in TW:M2.
>>
>>380718358
Not OP, but how good is this game? Do you get decent challenges other than "lol you ran out of food/fuel/whatever" or "lol your villager/chickens/sheep got mauled by a bear"?
>>
>>380715975
Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>380719997
Main challenge is getting enough food to all your barns because you can't redistribute goods till late game.
It's not hard, mostly fun but the mechanics and numbers need tweaking. I still like it, very comfy and you get such better views of your village than Banished
>>
>>380715975
Port royale 1>2 or patrician 3
(port royale 3/patricain 4 are easy boring)

If you really like trading games, thats has really good production and resource management, with ship fights, taking towns ect.

you cant make your own empire, but you can work for a country and make that strong

can build your own town eventually, have to build everything,get people and food.
>>
>>380720431
We don't know if OP is on the autistic spectrum, so it's a bit presumptive to offer that suggestion.
>>
>>380720718
So no tornadoes, no droughts, no storms, no epidemics or anything like that?
Sounds a bit empty.
>>
>>380720825
You don't need autism to play DF.

It just helps.
>>
File: KissMeAnon.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
KissMeAnon.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>380721127
I've tried it but I can never get really into it. Not creative enough.

Once I get the shops/food/etc up running its like 'Now what' not to mention the eye-cancer UI
>>
>>380715975
Maybe this? I haven't played it, looked interesting.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/336300/Hearthlands/
>>
>>380721440
Not OP. Have tried it, i tired to like it but just couldnt get into it. it was just missing something.

you can attack other towns which make late game interesting, got diplo hard or they will attack you.

Might be what OP is looking for tho, or just play emperor. It just hard to beat those games
>>
>>380721365
>Now what

Firstly you want to build up a big militia and then start wars with all the humans and elves who come to trade with you. After watching them break apart against you its time to dig very deep and see how well you go against the unfathomable nasties that lurk below.
>>
>>380721365
Pumps for lava/water traps, drawbridges everywhere, start capturing monsters and let them fight for your entertainment (or sic them on invaders).

Dig deep, dig greedily. Grab some adamantium and have FUN.
>>
>>380721107
There are disasters yeah. Pandemics, rabbies from animal bites etc
>>
File: 1268271997577.png (405KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1268271997577.png
405KB, 768x768px
>>380721849
>>
Tropico series would be good for you. You start with fuck all on an island and you go from their as either a commie or a capitalist.
>>
>>380721127
I really can't get into DF because of lack of intuitive graphics. I can deal with shitty UI but not when I wouldn't know at least what type it is when looking at a symbol.
>>
>>380722509
Use a graphics set
>>
>>380722509
nah the UI is truly fucking SHIT mate,
like they purposely hide things around and make the control stupidly complicated and different just to fuck with you
>>
>>380722509
>>380721365
The UI is actually quite intuitive once you understand its principle. As are how entities interact in the game. Once you work those out you realise you can do stupid shit like designating the armor and weapons on caravan guards to be dumped, watch your dwarves dump them, then reclaim them and use them as you own. Or stacking extra materials to be used in mood items.

The biggest problems come from working out logic behind arriving at Y from X, like if you want to make booze you need a brewery, brewer, barrels, plant items, etc.
>>
>>380722509
look into gnomoria, kinds like dorf fort. Half as deep, but you only need the smallest amount of autism
>>
>>380723007
>The biggest problems come from working out logic behind arriving at Y from X, like if you want to make booze you need a brewery, brewer, barrels, plant items, etc.
How is that a problem at all? What other method would you propose?
>>
>>380722970
The UI is ugly, but it is surprisingly functional once you get the core concepts of it. Especially considering it doesn't really use a mouse.
>>
>>380715975
Dwarf fortress
>>
>>380723105
It always makes sense in hindsight, but there is some shit that you just wouldn't immediately think of like how the bee industry works. And without proper tooltips or actual walkthroughs from the programmer shit can be difficult to figure out.

We are fortunate that the Wiki gets plenty of love.
>>
>>380723093
gnomoria is made completely redundant because of rimworld
>>
>>380723007
>The biggest problems come from working out logic behind arriving at Y from X, like if you want to make booze you need a brewery, brewer, barrels, plant items, etc.

That's the best part of any production-focused game
>>
>>380715975
Anno 1404 with the Venice expansion, for sure.

Maximum comfy and there's massive emphasis on relations with other cities and settling new lands. There's also combat, that isn't amazing but works well enough i suppose.

It's a few years old now, but it still looks great too.
>>
>>380723246
I'll agree that some stuff isn't well thought out, but i'd say the industry as a whole is laid out well, it's more of the other things, like setting up a tavern, that are pretty convoluted and unintuitive.
>>
>>380723778
I like it, but it is what puts a lot of people off playing DF. Once you understand how things interact in the engine it gets easier.

But then there is shit like the Bee hives needing to be 'outside' to grow and spread, which you generally wouldn't think about.
>>
>>380724035
>Bee hives needing to be 'outside' to grow and spread, which you generally wouldn't think about.
What the fuck? Do you even know how bees work, anon?
>>
>>380718425
yeah if you tone down the bad stuff in options it is just a comfy experience of building a life for your survivors
>>
>>380724142
Given that babies basically come from spores in DF, you wouldn't think that Bees would have to adhere to real world shit like being outside.
>>
>>380715975
Knights and merchants.
>>
Don't you die on me you beautiful bastard, we actually discussed games for once
>>
>>380726350
>discussing video games
MOOOOOOOOOODS
>>
Anno 2070
Rise of Nations
>>
I love the shit out of Lethis Path of Progress. It's pretty easy but the world and music is so fantastic. Also all the women are max fucking qt.
>>
File: avencolony.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
avencolony.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>380715975
Aven Colony is Banished in an alien planet.
>>
>>380721630

The style. Gameplay wise it's amazing. Style wise jesus fuck who thought that looked good?
>>
>>380724569
But you know, you could assume, since it's a logical thing to do. Trees only grow outside, you have to smelt ores, dwarves get hungry and thirsty... maybe bees need to gather stuff from flowers, which are, you know... outside?
>>
>>380727179
Don't try and drag real world logic into DF.

Unless we are talking about minerals of course.
>>
>>380727057
Yeah the aesthetics are just off, i just didnt feel attached to the villagers
>>
>>380717690
You could play the colonial charter mod for banished
>>
File: image.jpg (443KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
443KB, 1920x1200px
>>380727027
That looks neat. I also really want Surviving Mars to be good
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.