[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He never played castlevania&metroid games >But he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: metroidvania.jpg (100KB, 610x400px) Image search: [Google]
metroidvania.jpg
100KB, 610x400px
>He never played castlevania&metroid games
>But he played hollow knight&shovel knight and enjoyed them

I want to play them, but not all of them

Which ones in the both series are meme tier trash and which ones actually good?
Help me /v/
>>
Super,Zero Mission, and Prime 1 are the best in the series. The only ones worth skipping are Other M, Fed Forces, and Hunters
>>
>>380580180

/thread

Metroid 1 and 2 are really dated but offer unique things the rest of the series doesn't
>>
For the Metroid series I would recommend playing Zero Mission, AM2R, possible Fusion if you want and then Super Metroid. Super Metroid is one of the best games in the genre.

For Castlevania I'm not too sure about a good order. I'd recommend playing Super Castlevania 4, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow. Rondo of Blood is also okay. Symphony of the Night is my personal favourite but I've seen people arguing for the GBA and DS games before. They're all pretty good.
>>
Literally a teenager, jesus christ. It doesn't even matter, you're just gonna start up Zero Mission and drop it after 15 minutes because it feels "clunky" or it hasn't "aged well". Fuck off.
>>
The fuck does Shovel Knight have to do with this genre
>>
>>380582972
THANK YOU for saying that, what do you expect from an actual retard that has never played a single Castlevania/Metroid
>>
>>380579812

Play in this order

>Zero Mission
>AM2R
>Fusion
>Super

Save Super for last.
>>
>>380582698
>If you didn't play every single game in existence you are a teenager
Fuck off poserfag
>>
Play them and decide yourself you millennial cuntlord
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31KB, 505x431px
>shovel knight
>>
Shovel Knight is not a Metroid-esque game.
>>
>>380583161
>has not played a single game from two of the biggest and most popular video game franchises
>compares them to PC indie games
>greentexts like a newfag retard
He's most certainly a teenager.
>>
>>380579812
play La Mulana
it's a perfect game for newcomer
>>
File: 0.jpg (182KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
182KB, 1000x500px
>>380579812
>Which ones in the both series are meme tier trash and which ones actually good?
>Help me /v/
For Metroid
Zero Mission is an excellent introduction to the series and is meant to be the first one anyway.
Then you can try Prime (who is supposed to take place After Zero Mission anyway) to see what the prime series is like.

If you enjoyed Zero Mission, you sure will have fun with Super and Fusion (avoid Other M). You can try Metroid 2, but the gameplay is a bit old (so is the gameplay of the first NES metroid, but Zero Mission replace it anyway) and a remake of it will come out in September.

If you enjoyed Prime, play Prime 1 and 2 (Prime hunters is not bad, but a bit tedious and hand crippling)
>>
>>380583102
>Save Super for last.
NO! It's better to play the game in the chronological order.
>>
>>380580574
>possible Fusion if you want and then Super Metroid. Super Metroid is one of the best games in the genre.
SUPER IS TO BE PLAYED BEFORE FUSION!
>>
>>380583102
>AM2R
>>
>>380583520
If they're similar to PC indie games, what's wrong with the comparison? And, hell, I've been gaming for 20+ years and I've never played Castlevania or Metroid.
>>
>>380583680
noted
>>380583398
>>380583481
i thought they were similar thank for clarifying
>>
>>380584806
Shovel Knight is closer to Megaman and platforming game.

Metroidvania are side-scrolling action-adventure.
(while 2D Zelda are top-view Action-adventure).
>>
Do DKC and Klonoa count as Metroidvanias?
>>
>>380585152
no
>>
>>380584806
He was joking. La-Mulana is great but incredibly difficult even if you're a veteran in the genre.
>>
>>380585213
Why not?
>>
>>380585360
Because they're nothing like metroidvanias
>>
>>380585408
What constitutes a Metroidvania?
>>
>>380585491
have you ever played one?
>>
>>380585152
They are platformers/collectathon (being a collectathon isn't a bad thing, eve if some use that word negatively), like Bonjo Kazooie or Spyro.
>>
>>380585491
Do you not know what a metroidvania is?
I have the name but the genre should be something like exploration action platformer if the name wasn't such a mouthful.

Essentially you have a large contiguous non-linear map to explore which you can navigate at your leisure. The skills that you learn in-game are the keys to unlock further areas. Slap on to that platforming mechanics and you'll get a metroidvania.

It shouldn't be hard to figure out how linear level-based platformers don't fit in the genre.
>>
>>380585584
Yes, but only Morrowind and Thief.
>>
>>380585491
Lot's of exploration, you don't get to go on a "next level", but the map you explore expand and you can always backtrack and come back to most of the place you have visited, you beat several bosses located at different place of the map and upgrade yourself and your upgrade allow you to access place you couldn't access before.

Often focus on exploration and discovering hidden pathways.
>>
>>380579812
For all games you should play in release order. Never chronological.
Super --> Fusion --> Zero Mission --> AM2R

The Metroid inspired Castlevanias are sorta bland and easy. Give SotN a try but don't feel forced to push on past that or anything.
>>
>>380585786
what the fuck
>>
>>380585931
So the fixed camera Resident Evils are Metroidvanias?
>>
>>380584806
He was trolling you about La-Mulana, as that other guy said, it has a ridiculous learning curve and might turn you off if it's your introduction to the genre. It's best played if it turns out this is something you really like.
>>
>>380585942
>Super --> Fusion --> Zero Mission --> AM2R
That is the wrongest statement ever uttered.

Nes Metroid can almost be considered a prototype of the series and can be an huge turn off for new player due it it's raw design and difficulty. It's also the cae at some level for MEtroid 2.

Zero Mission make a perfect job at replacing the nes Metroid.Metroid

The playing order for no-rime game should be
Zero Mission --> Super --> Fusion

Try out AM2R mayben but know it's a fan game.

In Septemeber, Samus Returns will come out and the playing order will be

Zero Mission -->Samus Returns-->Super--> Fusion.
>>
>>380586041
Didn't play Residents Evil, but I don't think that game is focused much on upgrades.
>>
>>380586402
So, the Batman Arkham games are definitely Metroidvanias then? Bear with me, anon.
>>
>>380586319
How do you have any faith in mercurysteam?
>>
>>380586319
Nigga the plot is paper thin. Give me a reason why people should care about the dumb ass lore.
You need release order to see how mechanics evolve and how each game learns from the last. Don't fucking ping pong from the super slick Zero Mission to the somewhat sluggish but beautiful Super.

>>380586613
Arkham Asylum is basically 3D Metroid Fusion
>>
>>380579812
>He
newfag
>>
File: 1464848110786.jpg (95KB, 476x598px) Image search: [Google]
1464848110786.jpg
95KB, 476x598px
>>380579812
>tfw that's me
>>
>>380583680
D E V I L I S H
>>
>>380579812
Play those :
>Super Metroid
>Metroid Fusion
>Zero Mission
>Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
>Cave Story
>Rabi-Ribi
>>
>>380586917
Cave Story is not a Metroidvania but it is the best game on that list and thus deserves playing.
>>
>>380587019
I can understand the argument why Cave Story technically isn't a metroidvania, but it's close enough that any fan of the genre will enjoy it
>>
>>380583752
So what is correct chronological order to play for metroid? Zero Mission, Metroid 2, Super then Fusion?
>>
>>380587019
>Metroidvania
You're right, it's a Metroid-like
>>
>>380587120
The same could be said of Metroid Fusion
HEH
>>
>>380586685
>Give me a reason why people should care about the dumb ass lore.
It's a nice one, I like it.
>You need release order to see how mechanics evolve and how each game learns from the last.
Not for the Metroid Series. ZM was specifically designed to replace NES metroid.

the game are made to be played in that order.
>>
>>380587180
And if we're strict Castlevania Order of Ecclesia is also right out the window.
It's also important to give a little breathing room for the genre rules, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a fucking duck.
>>
>>380586613
You could call them that, indeed. Though MEtroid vanina tend to refer more to cave crawler. But it's fair to call the Batman game Metroid Vania.
>>
>>380587137
>So what is correct chronological order to play for metroid? Zero Mission, Metroid 2, Super then Fusion?
Yes. Though Metroid 2 is a bit clunky because of how old it is. you might want to play to the fan game instead AM2R, at least up until Samus Returns on the 3DS come out in September.
>>
I only played the one by Kojima and it made me hate the franchise!
>>
>>380586685
>Don't fucking ping pong from the super slick Zero Mission to the somewhat sluggish but beautiful Super.
regardless of story, for any new comer to the seires, Zero Mission is the best entry level. It is actually easier than Super, making it the perfect introduction to the series.
>>
>>380579812
Symphony of the Night
Aria of Sorrow

If you find those too easy, try Circle of the Moon.
>>
>>380587413
Got it. Thanks.
>>
>>380586659
They have so far only made one bad game. I do believe people learn form their mistake.
>>
File: VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX_2017-06-15.png (105KB, 1027x685px) Image search: [Google]
VisualBoyAdvance-M-WX_2017-06-15.png
105KB, 1027x685px
Thanks for the recommendations
Just booted up the zero mission so far controls are not bad, just needed to get used to it for a few minutes
Also morphball is fun

Will try castlevania after this.
>>
>>380587272
True but Cave Story jumps and shoots like a Mega Man foremost, with the Metroidvania elements of backtracking and exploration being very shallow and brief and unrelated to "abilities you gain". Fans enjoy it because it's one of the best games ever made, the fact it takes some inspiration from Metroid is only barely related. But again, it truly is great, so keep it on the list just don't go in expecting freedom or loads of upgrades. Don't play the Nicalis versions!

>>380587531
Super isn't hard though. Super also teaches you how to shine spark and how to walljump. The series really explodes from the foundation Super lays, so duh it makes sense to start with Super. You have to start with Super to appreciate just how many great things it revolutionizes and fabricates.
>>
>>380587893
>Super isn't hard though. Super also teaches you how to shine spark and how to walljump. The series really explodes from the foundation Super lays, so duh it makes sense to start with Super. You have to start with Super to appreciate just how many great things it revolutionizes and fabricates.
It's harder than Zero mission. And zero Mission WAS designed to be an entry game to the series. The games have been made to be played in that order.

this isn't a list for a "vine connoisseur", but an order to play for normal player.
>>
>>380587893
There is a lot of fun of revisiting planet zebes after you r first exploration of it in Zero Mission. Playing Zero Mission first is better.
>>
>>380588247
>>380588323
Whatever, just make sure you play AM2R last. It's a love letter and to truly know how good it is you need to play the other three games for context.
>>
>>380587838
playing on emulator, GBA, or virtual console?
>>
>>380588991
Look at the filename dude lol
>>
>>380588991
Emulator its vba-m
>>
Good metroid games: ZM, SM, Fusion
Good igavania games: SOTN, Harmony of Dissonance, both Sorrows, OoE
>>
>>380586041
I actually figured if there was ever a Metroid on the N64 it should've been in the style of Resident Evil 2.
>>
>>380590503
Never thought of it that way. But that sounds pretty good.
>>
>>380586659
These days I've seen a lot of people going over it like "they fucked castlevania! they fucked castlevania I repeat!"

We're talking about a bunch of people that can learn and do better. They're not stuck in one thing.

The biggest problem with the new game is the amount of stuff added to make it easier and more accessible. It also happens to be in most cases optional. Melee doesn't turn it into Other M either.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.