[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is pic related and the sequel? I remember seeing ads in magazines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

File: Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg (26KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg
26KB, 250x354px
How is pic related and the sequel? I remember seeing ads in magazines for them when I was a kid but I didn't have a PS2. Since PS2 emulation is mostly okay I wanted to look at some of the games I missed out on. I'm looking for something with a fantasy adventure vibe.
>>
>>380544885
DC2 is the better game but 1 has the better music, imo.
>>
I only played the first game. I loved it. I heard people really like the sequel though.
>>
>>380544885
Pic related was my first ps2 game and one of my favorites. Not sure how well it would hold up though.
>>
DC2 is better in every respect.
>>
File: 1246340304914.jpg (15KB, 419x424px) Image search: [Google]
1246340304914.jpg
15KB, 419x424px
>>380544885
Never mind the ads and shit, I keep seeing this game being talked about as an underappreciated obscure classic.
Is it worth playing today or is it too late?
>>
>>380547146

This is true, although it adds Spheda, which is the most aneurysm inducing minigame in JRPG history.
>>
>>380547646
it's not a necessity and is completely doable, even if it's frustrating. Emulators help.
>>
>>380547646
Spheda was only bad on certain maps like the forest. Most of the time it wasn't too terrible. It did have its faults though.
>>
>>380544885
Try it. Within the first hour you'll know if its for you or not.

If you don't like it, don't lat that affect you playing the sequel. They are different enough games to warrant trying both.
>>
>>380548578

>forest
>not the sewer which has canals on the walls
>or the mountain, which has giant caverns in which the ball can fall down to real easily

This isnt also counting getting all of the pictures, which has missables.
>>
>>380548810
I named the forest because that was the one that gave me the most trouble. The sewer and Mt. Gundor were also cancer, but gave plenty of shots. Forest was completely shit because it barely gave any shots most of the time and I presume the expectation was to shoot it through the out of bounds trees to get to the hole before the ball ran out.
>>
Play them both, but play 1 first. 2 is a better game, but 1 is an amazing game in its own respects, and like other anon have mentioned, the OST is god-tier.

https://youtu.be/eBSoQ1aDH2I
>>
Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, behind Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle 64. Never got to play the original sadly, but 2 is fucking great.
>>
>>380547146
I agree. DC2 is one of my favorite ps2 games. The first one does have a nice soundtrack, but it is pretty flawed. I've played DC2 multiple times but beating the first one once was enough
>>
>>380544885
Maximum comfort. Part 2 is especially good.
>>
>>380549168

Fair enough. I dont remember the forest giving me that few shots but I didnt focus on Spheda all that much. I usually gave it to my wife who LOVES Spheda.
>>
>>380544885
dark cloud was a very mediocre game

really difficult as a kid cause I didnt understand the upgrade system and because of that you can fuck up and lose powerful weapons forever

aside that story is very generic, the town building sidequests were really fun

apparently 2 is far beyond the original in quality
>>
>>380549176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F3vmh9xE_I
>>
>>380550084
It really is better in every single way. That isn't an exaggeration. Not everything it adds is a success, but it fixes every single problem the original had
>>
>tfw you spend more time trying to get the towns looking maximum comfy while also making everyone happy than you do dungeon crawling
>>
DC2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'll admit that the writing is shit and the midgame is sort of boring.

Gameplay is very solid, but it's really easy since you can cancel pretty much anything with by blocking, and the weapon upgrade system is too easy to break.
>>
This is literally my favorite video game series of all time and I still await the day a third installment is announced. Love every aspect of both games and the soundtracks are one of the few things in this world that help me find temporary peace.

I recommend this game a million times over it's impossible to regret trying.
>>
>>380550323

>third installment

N E V E R
E
V
E
R
>>
Dark cloud 2 is my favorite RPG of all time, never played the first one.

2 isn't actually a true sequel, in any case, it's more of a spirtual successor, from what I hear. Wasn't even named 2 in japan.
>>
File: 1488332545401.jpg (39KB, 409x487px) Image search: [Google]
1488332545401.jpg
39KB, 409x487px
>>380550160
Mah nigga

https://youtu.be/c6I02SnhLjo
>>
I just got 2 recently, not very far in but the combat isn't as fun as I remember it being
>>
>>380547146
disagree, the game gets bogged down in needless fat like placing NPCs in houses, doing boring fetch quests for them and the golf minigame
the protagonist is borderline insufferable
the robot was a good idea in theory, but gets too OP too quickly
too many level per dungeon means each location wears out it's welcome very fast

DC1 has way more charm, better characters, locations and music
>>
>>380550297
I didn't have any problem with the writing in DC2. It's been awhile since I played it, but it seemed fine to me. I found the difficulty to be just right too. Blocking does cancel almost any damage, but if you get hit, you're going to feel it. The biggest problem I had with DC2 would be its minigames and monster collecting, which could've been so much more
>>
It's pretty boring imo.
>>
>>380550486
it's not called 2 in Europe either, it's Dark Chronicle
>>
>>380550480
I will spend my entire life waiting. I don't give a FUCK. Dark Cloud would look mind blowing with current gen graphics or better.
I will always hold on to my hope.
>>
More games need space rabbits with helicopter backpacks and machine guns
>>
>>380550541

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBholY36As

Queens was the big first hurdle for me.
>>
https://youtu.be/1b8D1HGCzko
>>
>>380549168
Personally, I thought the forest was the most forgiving, since you could shoot the ball in between areas to reach the goal. It was one of the few areas I got a couple hole in one's
>>
>>380550547
The combat is basic, but it's pretty solid. I still prefer it over some action rpgs today
>>
>>380544885
they are both incredible games. dark cloud 2 holds up so much better though
>>
>>380550541
Honestly I never skipped the game opening because of how pumped the music got me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZKsZm-fbh0
>>
File: latest.png (77KB, 191x469px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
77KB, 191x469px
Admit it, you fapped to Ruby
>>
>>380551061
of course. Wish there was some decent r34 though. I need to get one of them drawing tablets and learn to make some myself.
>>
File: 1434487704211.jpg (172KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1434487704211.jpg
172KB, 1200x900px
Are the PS4 versions fucked?
I noticed in DC1 that the intro montage's music has some synch issues at points.
>>
>>380550805
>>380550797

https://youtu.be/A6kS_a0foe0

Hardest part for me was Muscat Lacka, Shipwreck is my favorite area In the game.
>>
>>380550160
>Each floor of the dungeon is going further and further into the past, as the environment transforms from decrepit, bloodstained ruins to pristine, guilded halls

I fucking loved this game to death.
>>
>>380551205
I completed DC1 on PS4 and it was pretty freakin good. didn't notice any real issues.

I've only played through the DC2 port about half way before getting distracted by KH2.8 and never returning to it. Should probably finish my playthrough.
>>
File: izsr49.jpg (28KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
izsr49.jpg
28KB, 400x600px
EYH EYH EYH EYH EYH EYH
>>
>tfw I prefer DC1's combat to 2's
Once I got the hang of running at sanic speed using dran feathers and never locking on it was a different game.
>>
>>380551473
I really need to go back and try to see if you can make these characters good. When I played it, it seemed like everyone was vastly inferior to Toan. Playing as them was a chore, and almost ruined the game for me
>>
>>380551340

Its a shame how badly the broken dagger glitch breaks the game.
>>
>>380550797
Same. It's the first dungeon where the backrooms legit made me shit bricks, not to mention the entire dungeon is creepy as fuck. Made me stop dicking around and actually farm up good weapons, materials, and supplies. The boss was also the best in the game.
>>
>>380551726
The game gives you enough rope to hang yourself in terms of letting Toan be the best for most situations- right up until he's not and you get fucked.
>>
File: newduo_2D00_610.jpg (40KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
newduo_2D00_610.jpg
40KB, 610x343px
>>380550715
>They finally give us DC3
>>
>>380551726
>everyone was vastly inferior to Toan
They are, Ruby is the only other worth while character since Toan has no ranged ability
>>
>>380551982
I remember this on one of the boss battles. Maybe the last? where you had to use other members. God that was painful
>>
Damn, looks like I'm cozying up to some Dark Cloud 2 over the next few weeks, thanks guys.
>>
They're fucking great
>>
>>380550480
I have faith that there's enough creative bankruptcy for anything to be possible. Although that might just mean an HD re-release.
>>
>>380551851

I ended up spending my time to farm fire gems and just tossed those at the boss till it died.
>>
>>380551726
They shine if you kite the enemies by circle strafing harder than Serious Sam. A good example is Black Knight Pendragon. More often than not I found Goro and Ungaga totally shit. At least the ranged characters could keep their distance most of the time. Ungaga's only redeeming trait being taking his starting weapon and spinning2win directly in front of an enemy, stunlocking it to death, so he never took serious training until I felt like it.
>>
>>380544885
I have both games in my closet. The first one is fairly lower on the budget, and has some really rough edges, but is plenty enjoyable for what it is.

The second one polishes the fuck out of the formula, and adds a lot more to the fairly meager narrative from the first. They can be repetitive, and the grind can be real, but they are worth your time.
>>
>>380552127
Yeah phase 2 of last boss required ranged attacks- a rude awakening.
>>
I absolutely loved both games but have given up on a third one ever being made. Are either playable on PS4 or PS3 through the Store or something like that? I don't have a PS2 anymore.
>>
>>380553181
both are for sale on PS4

play Level 5's Ni no Kuni games if you're looking for something to fill the void
a new one just got announced for PS4
>>
>>380553315
Awesome, I've been meaning to get a PS4 anyway. Cheers
>>
File: Life.gif (999KB, 236x132px) Image search: [Google]
Life.gif
999KB, 236x132px
>Its a Limited Zone episode!
>>
>>380552075
> Has black women in it
> /pol/ cries SJW because they're all insecure about their masculinity and 5" penis'

Kikitty Kek.
>>
File: Monica.png (3MB, 2000x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Monica.png
3MB, 2000x1182px
>>380544885
Maximum comfortkino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmukUIUqeY
>>
>>380553873
> Fanservice makes a dumbed down DC with golf mini-games and shitty enemy scalling alright.

Kek.
>>
>tfw fishing in the forest while this song plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmukUIUqeY
>>
>>380553991
Oh I didn't play Dark Cloud 1 so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>380547646
Eh, fishing was worse. Fishes in general were just "what in the fuck?".
>>
>>380544885
Both titles are amazing. Comfy with git gud difficulty working in perfect harmony.

Definitely worth playing through both, gitchaself a good ol CRT and have a good time, brother.
>>
All these niggas making it seem like Chronicle had a shit soundtrack. Repent, philistines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWvVcF07DGA
>>
>>380544885
Charming aesthetic and some fun ideas. Godawful gameplay and dungeons. Both games get extremely boring extremely quickly.
>>
>>380550645
The writing was fine when I was younger, but having recently played it as an adult it can get pretty cringey quite often
>>
>>380544885
One of my favorite games as a kid, never tried to see if it held up though
>>
All I can say is that DC2 is a loong as fucking game. I sped through it with MAXIMUM cheats and a walkthrough at 2-4x fps (which also speeds up the game and timer) and my final save file says something like 60 hours IIRC.

I imagine having to get materials and shit would make it much longer.
>>
>>380551473

>tfw you wanted to fuck Xiao as a kid

Please tell me I'm not the only one
>>
File: Rogue.Galaxy.full.61593[1].jpg (160KB, 700x840px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue.Galaxy.full.61593[1].jpg
160KB, 700x840px
>>380550323
>>380550715
>>380552075
But, we already have DC3 and it IS better than the first two.
It's just not called Dark Cloud. And the story is a space opera instead of a regular fantasy.

Rogue Galaxy is still, to this day, my favorite RPG of all time. I play it once a year and I STILL haven't done everything in a single playthrough before because there's so much to it.
There's a few dungeons that drag a bit, and JUPIS TOOKI MCGONAL is the most unnecessary and retarded party member I've ever gotten in an RPG, but otherwise everything about it is amazing.
>>
>>380555884
This game had some pretty badass graphics for the time. Its cutscenes were a treat. It's not my favorite by any stretch, but I liked it quite a lot. Ni No Kuni 2 can't get here soon enough
>>
>>380555820
why the fuck would you want to fuck Xiao when the big titty genie bitch was available
>>
>>380555820
You aren't alone.
>>
>>380551473
>>380551726
>>380552362
I remember when I first played Dark Cloud 1 as a kid who didn't know shit.
The first dungeon's final boss took me like over an hour because I didn't take the risks of using Toan to attack him full frontal and instead just circled the arena with Xiao shooting at him for 1 damage the whole time.
>>
>>380555820
Where da spats at on dat cat
>>
>>380544885
Why is Zelda on there?
>>
>>380556213
Yeah, I still consider it to at least be the best swan song on the PS2.

Then Level-5 made White Knight Chronicles and that was just not good.
Ni No Kuni was alright but I didn't get into it as much as I did the Dark Clouds and Rogue Galaxy. May or may not get Ni No Kuni 2.
>>
>>380551726
Ruby literally breaks the game. Once you get a good enough weapon for her, all difficulty disappears. I never used any other characters aside from the floors which forced certain characters.
>>
>>380555884
Too bad they couldn't improve the battle/dungeon gameplay more. Literally fell asleep on more than one occasion. OST is always good though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lB8NbCrTr8

Also Insectron is great. They should gather all their mini-games and put them on one game.
>>
>>380555447
Eh. It does a shitton of things, most of which are needless filler but not one thing remarkably well.

If anything, Spheda is the one thing that works out the best, as it sticks impeccably to its own logic, it's not long enough to become monotonous and conveniently spaced out. It also has a nice challenging curve. On its own it'd still be a nice flash golf game, something that you can quickplay for 5 or 10 minutes on a regular basis. The rest of the stuff that makes the bulk of the game... not so much. Combat, while competent is incredibly repetitive, city-building is insultingly simple and the results unspectacular, photography is just a gimmick to show off the full 3d enviros, fishing is a chore, fish racing is dull.

As a whole it's a wonderful package of time-wasters grafted to a competent dungeon crawl. 15 years ago. Nowadays, it's too much fat, not enough meat.
>>
>>380556563
Swan song rpg imo is FFXII, but I put around 100 hours in Rogue Galaxy and don't regret a second of it. I didn't like Ni No Kuni as much as their previous games either. I have a good feeling about 2 though
>>
I got Rogue Galaxy on PS4 when it was released but never got very far in it. The combat was tedious since the only real way to play is spamming AOE skills which relies on pausing the combat entirely and navigating menus. I want to finish it someday but that really bummed me out.
>>
>>380556629
>>380557439
Only time I really remember hating the combat is the final fight in the mining planet the first time you go there.
Deego vs. Gale one on one.
I remember having neglected Deego hard so he was really weak and Gale can basically one shot him with a combo if you don't guard 90% of the fight.

Otherwise I felt there was at least enough variety with switching characters and using the different mode special attacks (abused the hell out of Jaster's Beam Sword to make some fights go faster).
>>
>>380557815
Is there anything worse in a rpg than forcing you to do a battle with a specific character?
>>
This thread reminds me I never beat Zelmite Mine
>>
>>380555820
I was so pumped to have her in my party. then that fucking shooting noise ruined everything.
>>
>>380558051
At least do it for the final boss for the hype music drop.
>>
>>380558373
Man I last played DC2 like two years ago

The final boss was the Genie, right?
>>
>>380557815
Remember when Kisala's pops was actually a bishie when he was younger? Or that we literally turn super saiyan in the story, and fight with our Vergil clone?
>>
>>380544885
Atla, the moons, weapon durability system, change characters on the fly, The Moon rabbits, the dank genie, there's plenty related.
>>
>>380558836
>Get huge plot reveal
>Go super saiyan
>"HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO COOL I'M LIKE SO STRONG NOW"
>Mommy spanks my ass hard as I try to abandon all strategy and rush her.

The game had a decent level of difficulty most of the time, but sometimes they just cranked it up to facefucking levels.
>>
>>380547559
Yes... Unless you like severe suffering when you break your weapons, and you could never get them back, because you didn't repair them.
>>
>>380558787
Yeah, I remember playing that and finding out his battle theme was the first game's intro theme. I ended up getting the first game way later and that was great, too.
>>
>>380551726
>>380552119
>>380552362
>>380556595
OFFICIAL RANKING:
Xiao >> Toan = Goro >> Ruby > Osmond >>> Ungaga
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.